THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
KJGould
rudeboyben84
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
ChelseaQuinsfan
9 posters

Sonnen keeps on talking-Ed Soares responds

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Sonnen keeps on talking-Ed Soares responds Empty Sonnen keeps on talking-Ed Soares responds

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Sonnen continues to wind up his opponents, specifically Anderson Silva. He really has gotten everyone's attention though.

- Chael Sonnen (24-10-1 MMA, 4-3 UFC) recently spoke about his upcoming title shot, here are the highlights…

On Who He Wants To Face For The Title: "I hope Anderson (Silva) wins (at UFC 112) because I think Vitor (Belfort) is a lot tougher fighter," Sonnen said after UFC 109. "If I had to choose between the two, I'm going to take the low road and take the easier opponent to the championship."

On Fighting Vitor Belfort: "I really do think Vitor Belfort, in truth, has never lost a fight in the stand-up realm," Sonnen said. "The blueprint to beat Vitor is out there, but it's not to stand up with him."

On Being A Fighter: "Look, at the end of the day, if you want to get to the top of the card in the UFC, you've got to fight tough guys," Sonnen said. "If you want to be a fighter and get in the cage and be a big deal at your local strip club, go to Showtime."

Ed didn't wait too long to respond and came back saying he doesn't think Sonnen deserves a title shot.

"We've spoken with Chael on many occasions and have the utmost respect for him. He's never really come across in this manner, and it's obvious he's just drumming up hype in hopes to get a bout with Anderson. We are fine if this is what the UFC wants, but if you look at this logistically, Sonnen should fight Demian Maia first. Demian beat up easily, by submission, so why not make them fight first, to determine who gets a shot at the title? It's funny, but really, who actually listens to what Chael Sonnen has to say? The only time people listen is when he talks about Anderson. Who is he, really? If you walk down the street and you mention his name, does anyone really know who this guy is? Likely not, but if you mention Anderson Silva, people know the name. Chael's also said a few things about Anderson's choice of clothes and that he wears earrings, didn't he? Sounds to us like he may have a crush on Anderson."

Intresting, Sonnen really has got himself noticed. He has been excellent in his last 3 fights and IMO he has done everything right outside the octagon as well. He is almost like the new Tito Ortiz, he is pissing people off and now getting a title shot-It seems.

The point about Maia is a good one, but at the same time he has won his last 3 fights convincingly and Maia suffered a loss. In truth, Sonnen didn't deserve to fight Nate but he did and he won so there is little more you can do.

In his last 5 fights he has beaten and lost to:

Win
    Filho- Yes we all know the story but a win is a win and Filhlo was the second best MW in the world at the time.

Lost Maia- Poor performance here, he was outclassed. I think he would do a lot better in a rematch.

Win Miller- Miller was on a 9 fight winning streak and looked very impressive. Sonnen dominated him

Win Okami- Okami is a boring and overated fighter but he is still a good fighter with some big wins, good skills and pretty big for MW. Former number one contender and a top 10-top 5 MW. Sonnen dominated him.

Win
    Nate- This was a career best performance, he was excellent here. Shocked Nate and everyone else, Nate was arguably the second best MW and at least 3rd in the world before the fight.

I think he deserves a shot and if Maia wins his next fight he gets the next shot. Maia needs to win atleast twice IMO before he deserves a title shot.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Sonnen keeps on talking-Ed Soares responds Empty Re: Sonnen keeps on talking-Ed Soares responds

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:55 pm

I think he fully deserves a title shot now, he was promised one before the fight with Nate and he deserves one now. He has beaten some quality opponents in his last 5 fights.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Sonnen keeps on talking-Ed Soares responds Empty Re: Sonnen keeps on talking-Ed Soares responds

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:56 pm

Being promised a title shot in the UFC means nothing. Any BJJ blackbelt with a good bottom game will beat Sonnen.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Timewise Sonnen has 7 or 8 months assuming there are no injuries or suspensions at 112, If he is such a tough guy he should take another fight, him and Maia are both ready to go, Maia has 1 loss, he went 11 in a row before that, he beat Sonnen a year ago! Also just give Wanderlei a Crack at him if he beats Bisping! It would fast track Wanderlei or else probe Sonnen is as good as he says.

Keep the guy busy and show him if you run your mouth to get noticed (and I think run his mouth about UFC) give him 1 more fight. Anfield said it best UFC promise... really, Nate was Promised as well Hendo that was only a few months ago!

Cote is ready to do isnt he? he really never lost his title fight... There are fighers ready to go and Sonnen doesnt need the guts of a year waiting around on a shot.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:06 pm

Maia is suspended till August.

Sonnen is the only person in UFC that deserves a title shot now.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:22 pm

Why is Maia medically suspended?

If that's the case then Sonnen has to get a shot.

Unless, Sonnen vs Wandi!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:24 pm

KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KJGould Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:52 pm

I think Ed Soares needs to fuck off and stop keeping Anderson inactive.

Basically Ed doesn't think Sonnen will make them that much money, and I bet the only reason they finally agreed to fight Belfort, and in Abu Dhabi, was because some rich Sheiks are compensating them REALLY well.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:30 am

Sonnen is suspended too, thanks to that elbow from the bottom. Evil or Very Mad
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:43 am

Akiyama has been promised to face the winner of Wandi-Bisping in the summer.

http://mmabay.co.uk/Story%20A%2000722.html
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:07 am

This comic sums everything up pretty well

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/2/9/1302670/junior-dos-santos-and-ed-soares-vs

I can just imagine the Forrest gump accent when Forrest says "Duhh....I'll fight anybody Dana". Laughing
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 pm

Soares is a prick.

All he does is go round discredit opponents for Silva or ask Mr Dana to make them fight someone else so they can cherry pick fights Leites & Cote were worthy challenges yet Hendo, Vitor & Chael are not he is the Fwank Warren of MMA he blabs off every 2 seconmds crying & bitching about nothing.

And if I was Ed I would zip my mouth and let it go as Chael will be laying down some serious verbal barrages his way Chael will win this war let it go.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:00 pm

Soares can fuck off Very Happy

Master Jackson, HAAAALLLLP!
    kinc1967
    kinc1967
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  kinc1967 Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:35 pm

Sonnen can talk all the smack in the world. The fact is, if he steps into the Otagon with Anderson Silva there's only one outcome. It's clearly a clever ruse to get people talking, but badmouthing the achievements of a guy who will go down as an MMA legend make you look slightly deranged. I've a funny feeling if it was Demian Maia on his back the other night and not Nate Marquardt there would have been a different outcome.

P.S Did Marquardt get his BJJ black belt in a raffle?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Yeah there is no way Sonnen beats Anderson.

I give him a good chance against Vitor though, and i give Vitor a good chance vs Anderson so we could see Sonnen as champ though its a fairly long shot.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:01 am