THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
pinsman
rudeboyben84
payneNglory1
hendos_right_hook
redmeanie77
10 posters

UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez

Poll

Who is going to win ?

[ 3 ]
    UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez I_vote_lcap43%UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez I_vote_rcap [43%] 
    [ 4 ]
    UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez I_vote_lcap57%UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez I_vote_rcap [57%] 

Total Votes: 7
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez Empty UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:18 pm

Former UFC and PRIDE champion, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira says he’s 100 percent ready for his upcoming showdown with Cain Velasquez later this month at UFC 110 in Sydney, Australia, as well as eyeing a rematch against the last man to defeat him, Frank Mir.

Speaking via the BleacherReport.com, Nogueira said:

“I’m very excited for the fight. Wherever it goes, I’ll be ready. If he takes me down, we’re going for submissions. My jiu-jitsu will be 100 percent. King Mo is one the best wrestlers in America. We do a lot of single leg and double leg defense. I have a very good camp here. If I [win and rematch Frank] Mir, it will be different. I’ll be in better shape and no injuries. I don’t like how Mir talks. I come from jiu-jitsu. I come from martial arts. I train hard, and I respect my opponent. I will never say anything bad about my opponent. My opponent works hard so that’s my way. I don’t think he shows respect. I think I could fight until 37. I’m in really good shape. I’ll fight until my body tells me I can’t. I feel good. I’m going to do the best show possible.”

Nogueira will be right in the mix if he manages to do what no man has done before and defeat the Mexican phenom in Australia. A possible fight against the winner of the Mir/Carwin fight could lay ahead if champion, Brock Lesnar is kept out longer than expected and I can guess who Nogueira will be routing for

When this fight was first made, i and many others thought this would be a bad match-up for Cain, and that his wrestling would play straight into the hands of Nog. But after watching Rashad and Sonnen in their last fights, i think Cain can take this by UD.

Your thoughts?
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez Empty Re: UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:21 pm

I'm going to go for Cain, with a lot of doubt! It's going to be interesting to see whether Cain takes this to the ground, I'm fairly certain he can goto ground and pound Nog out, I just wonder whether he would take the risk against a BBJ practitioner of Nog's caliber.

May well end up being a stand up war?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez Empty Re: UFC 110 - Rodrigo Nogueira preparing with the world’s best for Velasquez

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:50 pm

I think that if it goes to the judges Cain will win.

From what we have seen from Cains punches,he might be able to out point Nog in a striking battle but he won't hurt him that way.
    I think Cain will take it to the ground though,thats where he is best and it has always worked for him in the past.

Can Cain survive Nogs jits on the ground is the question.

Three five min rds don't help Nog as much as the 10 min 1st rd used to help and Randy survived 3 rds with Nog in his last fight,but to be fair Randy has a ton more experiance of being in and getting out of those kind of situations,Cains untested in that kind of situation yet,so who knows how he will handle it.

I'm torn between Nog 2nd rd sub or Cain for the decision.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:53 pm

Nog is one of my favorite MMA fighters, comes across so well and is the toughest ever heavy. If his Boxing was better than Coutures and he seemed to have a bit more power (as did Lil Nog) I can see him putting Cain on his ass and Subbing him.

Nog will forever be the underdog. He looks old and slow, Cain is bigger and Stronger and Faster etc.. but thats been the case a lot of times for Nog. If Cain wants to Keep this Standing I think he looses, Both Nogueira brothers hands have really improves, Griffin said Big Nog battered him in sparring and Nog outdowed Randy, Greated Randy neither are beasts on the Feet but Cain could get propped if like I think there is a bit more on Both Brothers punches these days.

On the Ground Cain gets Subbed I think. His gameplan is probabally to repeat the Rothwell fight, beat Nog up a bit and take him down, rough him up. Its a dangerous game to play with Nog, It only worked for Barnett 1 outta 2 times and Didnt work for Prime(Ish) Coleman, I dont think Cain has more to offer than them.

I see Cain looking great in this up to the finish though, I do rate him and I think he is going to be getting the better of Nog most fight, But I think Experience and Toughness will see Nog ride out a Storm and Either Drop and Sub Cain or more likely Pull out a Sub off his Back.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:15 pm

I really don't know whats going to happen, but I am really excited about this fight, it's a really interesting one! Will Cains power be improoved?? He fighting a guy with possibly one of the best chins in MMA! When did Nog last submit someone? (I'm not aking the piss just can't remember).

Cain will def stick to his normal game plan, because he isn't a stand up guy really...

I'm guna go for Cain Decision. No Nog sub. No Cain 3rd TKO. Ahh fuck it I can't call it!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:25 pm

His last sub was against Sylvia, but before that its been quite a while since he subbed a legit opponent. Nog does have his fair share of Decision wins recently, so is Nog's only hope of winning being by submission?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:33 pm

Fitch:

"Nate didn’t execute a game plan very well. I think the closed guard is dead in MMA right now, unless you are Demain Maia or Shinya Aoki forget about it. You are either getting up or getting on top, forget about pulling of submissions from your back nowadays. Strong wrestlers like Chael Sonnen will just pound you out all day long"

Do you think he is right about strong wrestlers being able to pound out BJJ black belts from closed guard ? If Cain does to Nog what Sonnen did, then i would have to agree. THe wrestlers seem to have alot of momentum going for them now dont they.
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:36 pm

Didn't Nog sub Timmeh when he was getting battered? i'm sure it was near the end of the third wasn't it??
    I know cain is a hell of a wrestler but will he be able to apply it as well as randy can? Nog owned Randy all through the fight, i'm not saying Randy is a harder fight but tactically I think Cain needs to be 100% in order to take this one!!!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:38 pm

I dont see Nog winning points so yeah unless Nog can pull out a KO, I can see Nog dropping him, again people will say who has Nog KO'd but I could see him dropping Cain or maby controlling the standup... Cain should be able to outrwestle him so Realistically I see him looking better but he is still quite Green, I could see Nog subbing him.

Big Win if Cain wins this. What next for him if he does? The looser or Mir/Carwin or JDS id say, Either of those would be great fights!

I see why people will back a Wrestler afer the last UFC!
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:39 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Fitch:

"Nate didn’t execute a game plan very well. I think the closed guard is dead in MMA right now, unless you are Demain Maia or Shinya Aoki forget about it. You are either getting up or getting on top, forget about pulling of submissions from your back nowadays. Strong wrestlers like Chael Sonnen will just pound you out all day long"

Do you think he is right about strong wrestlers being able to pound out BJJ black belts from closed guard ? If Cain does to Nog what Sonnen did, then i would have to agree. THe wrestlers seem to have alot of momentum going for them now dont they.

I think there is a world of difference between Nate's BJJ and Nogs!!!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:44 pm

Nog has never faced a wrestler as good as Cain. He's never faced anyone who can control someone on the ground as well as Cain. If this goes to the ground then Cain, as long as he's careful and doesn't make a mistake, should win the UD.

Standing up, i don't see Nog dropping Cain at all. He dropped Couture, but so have a lot of people.

Cain to win by UD or possibly a late TKO.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:05 am

Cain to TKO Nog... Id love to see the Bookies odds on that! I know most of his wins are TKO but Nogs BJJ is top notch and Chin granite as well as him being about the same size as Cain, I dont think Cain could cradle him up and land unanswered shots, and that would be his only shot. I think Nog is more likely to KO Cain on the feet than Cain is to TKO him. Wink
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:07 am

Another point to note, is that Nog did a very good job taking advantage of his reach on Randy in that fight. We all know Nog does not have the best stand up in the division, but he is sound technically. His reach and his chin is what helped him to get the better of Randy in the stand up. Couture did hit him with some shots to the chin. But when he hit him, he was right in range for Nog all the time.

Nog does not have a reach advantage on Cain, they are both equal.

Also Cain is purple belt in BJJ, i know not on Nog level, but it could be enough for him to avoid Subs, and let his wrestling do the work.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:14 am

Red love your avatar man, anderson is a wicked mover, I always dis him but he is quality!
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:28 am

Really excited about this fight. IMO, Cain is the future of HW (certainly in the UFC), Nog represents a HUGE challenge, and if the fight had of been 4 years back, I would have thought too much too soon. I just think that Cain will take Nog to the floor and GnP him. Not one to put huge sums of money on though, although 8/11 Nog and Evs Cain? Cannot wait.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:37 am

pinsman wrote:Red love your avatar man, anderson is a wicked mover, I always dis him but he is quality!

I agree, definately better than the Cro Cop v Dos Santos one. Mad
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 am

As i said before, Cain should be studying Fedor's fights with Nog and aiming to follow a similar strategy. Put Nog on his back, sit in his guard and throws bombs. Nog's guard is good but not all that active. He doesn't really try for subs, he waits for people to make mistakes. If Cain is careful he can beat him. And fights in the UFC get stopped quicker than fights in Pride did. No UFC ref would let Nog take the kind of damage he did against Fedor or CroCop.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:51 pm

Im really torn in this one, I rate Velasquez but Nog is the man I respect most in MMA. Style wise im not sure who wins, its a tough fight. I don't think Velasquez will finish Nog and I don't think Nog will KO Velasquez either, if Kongo couldn't put Velasquez away after three big shots like that I doubt Nog can finish. Im not sure.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:47 pm

Kongo was just too dumb to capitalise on a fighter rocked to his boots! He should have been on him like Fly's on shit! If you rock someone you dont want to give them room to breathe... If Nog Rocks him he will finish, Even IF a Dazed Cain takes him down...

Then Again Herring nearly took Nog out and Sylvia battered him for most of their fight, but I think Nog genuinley has improved since then.

Nog is such a legend I just dont want to go against him!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:
    pinsman wrote:Red love your avatar man, anderson is a wicked mover, I always dis him but he is quality!

I agree, definately better than the Cro Cop v Dos Santos one. Mad

Yeah, i thought it was in bad taste to show that punch and Crocop quiting, during the build up to biggest ever fight for Crocop and his fans. If he loses i think he is out of UFC wether by choice or not.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Nog doesn't have close to the power Kongo has. Other than Couture i'm struggling to think of the last person that Nog dropped with a punch. And Couture's been dropped by a bunch of people so it's not much of an achievement. I don't see Nog causing Cain any problems standing up to be honest.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:45 am

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:04 pm

"The looser or Mir/Carwin or JDS id say, Either of those would be great fights!"

Do you hounistly rate JDS that highly, I really think he needs to fight some higher caliber fighters, CroCop is not that at the moment. Cain is doing more for me at the moment in the UFC than JDS by a long shot!

If Cain improves his power... well he's going to be a champ.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:42 pm

If Cain losses to Nog and JDS beats Gonzaga then that is absolutely a fair fight. Why not, Dos Santos has beaten much better opponents than Velasquez who has only beaten cans and average fighters. I think Cain can possibly be a champ in the future but he does not so much credit that Dos Santos doesn't deserve to fight him. Consider this, Dos Santos is better than any opponent Velasquez has faced.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:46 pm