THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
George_Louis_Costanza@who
efils_god
rudeboyben84
Jud_Danger
KJGould
redmeanie77
10 posters

Cain Velasquez - Nogueira UFC 108?

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Cain Velasquez - Nogueira UFC 108? Empty Cain Velasquez - Nogueira UFC 108?

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:47 pm

Since the victory over Randy Couture at UFC 102, the Brazilian Rodrigo “Minotauro” Nogueira was rumored to fight the loser of the title fight between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin, but the postponement of the bout forced the UFC to change the plans. According to Sensei Sportv’s blog, Nogueira’s manager confirmed that the Brazilian will face the undefeated heavyweight Cain Velasquez at UFC 108, which takes place at January 2.

http://tatame.com/2009/11/04/Minotauro-vs-Cain-Velasquez-at-UFC-108

Would be a great fight, 2 very contrasting fighting styles. Hope it happens.
    KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Cain Velasquez - Nogueira UFC 108? Empty Re: Cain Velasquez - Nogueira UFC 108?

Post  KJGould Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Legit.

Isn't Nog's brother taking on Luiz Arthur Cane on the same card?

Last edited by KJGould on Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Lil Nog is fighting at 106.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:55 am

MMAJUNKIE now reporting the proposed fight

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16733/antonio-rodrigo-nogueira-vs-cain-velasquez-in-the-works-for-ufc-108-on-jan-2.mma

An intriguing heavyweight contest between former UFC interim heavyweight champion Antonio Rodrgio Nogueira (32-5-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and undefeated contender Cain Velasquez (7-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) is in the works for UFC 108.

Brazilian cable channel SporTV's Sensei blog was the first to report the fight, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has since been able to confirm with sources close to the bout that at least one of the competitors has agreed to the contest.

Bout agreements for the Jan. 2 event in Las Vegas have not yet been distributed.

A former PRIDE heavyweight champion, Nogueira earned the UFC's interim belt with a win over Tim Sylvia in February 2008. Nogueira then lost that title to Frank Mir at UFC 92 in December 2008.

Nogueira has since bounced back with a win over Randy Couture in the main event of UFC 102 in a bout considered by many to be the 2009 "Fight of the Year."

Nogueira was believed to have been next in line for the winner of Brock Lesnar vs. Shane Carwin for the heavyweight title, but the recent rescheduling of that bout and current uncertain nature of the contest led to the the new fight for "Minotauro."

Meanwhile, Velasquez looks to keep his perfect record unblemished. Velasquez has earned five-straight wins in the UFC, and the stretch includes four victories by TKO.

Velasquez most recently fought in an impressive mauling of veteran heavyweight Ben Rothwell in the co-main event of UFC 104 in October.

The winner of the Nogueira vs. Velasquez matchup will certainly emerge as a primary contender for the UFC heavyweight title
    Jud_Danger
    Jud_Danger
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Jud_Danger Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:01 am

so who do ya think will win the nog v cain fight then?

or who do ya want to win?

and then who would you like them to fight, brock or carwin?

and then who would you want to win that fight?

i think Cain to beat nog UD
    Brock to TKO carwin

then Brock by UD over Cain!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:07 am

Good matchmaking, I think Nog wins this, Cain hasnt the power to put Nog away and over 3 rounds on the ground Nog is going to have so many sub oppertunities. I think its hard imagine Nog not coming away with a sub win. Not to Underrate Cain but I think ots a bad matchup for him. Nog can take all the beating he can give out and Cain likes to take the fight to the ground were Nog is at his most dangerous.

So I guess the winner of Mir Vs Kongo will fight the winner of Gonzaga Vs Dos Santos for the next in line after the winner of this one? The heavyweight Challengers really are starting to Stack up.
    Jud_Danger
    Jud_Danger
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Jud_Danger Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:09 am

do ya think mir will beat kongo? and then then maybe dos santos? Making (if brock beats the next 2) Lesnar V Mir III?

i just thought cain was so impressive last time out against rothwell. saying that the nog/randy right was immense! ur swayin me to a nog win now when i think about it....cain hasnt really been tested in the areas nog will test him.....Nog win.

So what about Nog V Brock? How would you see taht panning out?
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:18 am

I think this is a good fight. True it's a bad match up for Cain, but he deserves to step up and have his chance.

At least for him he basically needs to train the whole time on sub defence, he knows what to expect!

I'd love to see Cain win, but i think nog takes it by sub some time during the fight!!

Would also like to see kongo KO mir to then see Kongo dos santos if he beats gonzaga - that would be a fun fight!!
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:25 am

I see Cain's "0" going in this fight as good as he is i think this might be a fight too soon as Ben has said he has no power in his striking i can not see Nog being stopped or being subbed( Laughing ) by Cain he could ground out a decision but this fight to me has a Nog Arm bar written all over it.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm

I dont think Nog's chin will be a factor in this fight, Cain couldnt put his last 2 opponents to sleep but he still dominated them.

I think Cain's submission defence will be the single biggest factor in determing the outcome. Cain is a great wrestler who has incredible stamina. And if anyone can dominate Nog on ground for 3 rounds its him and lesnar.

The question is can he avoid Nogs submission for 15 minutes and escape with decsion victory?

We havent really seen Cain against a top black belt in BJJ so we dont know. But if he does then this young man is going to be a real force in HW devision for years to come...
    KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KJGould Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:26 pm

Everyone hold their horses:

Despite reports to the contrary, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez have not yet agreed to meet Jan. 2 at UFC 108, according to Velasquez representative Bob Cook.

Speaking to Sherdog.com, Cook did say the bout has been proposed to Velasquez’s management, but he did not anticipate making a decision until at least next week.

“I would not say we have even gotten to the preliminary part of discussions,” Cook said. “Nogueira has been mentioned to us, but we have not agreed to the fight as of now.”

Las Vegas will play host to UFC 108, which is still without a headline bout. The postponed heavyweight title match between champion Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin has been rumored for this date, but no official announcement has been made.

Middleweight champion Anderson Silva was originally slated to face challenger Vitor Belfort before an extended recovery after surgery for bone spurs in his elbow forced him from the event.

A phone call to Nogueira’s manager, Ed Soares, was not immediately returned.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/manager-nogueira-velasquez-not-set-yet-for-ufc-108-20717

Typical MMA news sites jumping the gun on stories.

I still maintain this is the exact reason why WEC should have folded into the UFC, and that there should be UFC Featherweight and Bantamweight titles. Brown vs Aldo could easily salvage one of these upcoming cards.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:35 pm

Brock TKO's Carwin (GnP)I think this ends early, Brock takes a big shot, Panics and shoots, Takes Carwin down and dominated, He will finish it in the 1st I think.

Nog to Sub Cain (Armbar) Cain batters Nog on the feet, hitting him a lot and takes the 1st round, 2nd round much of the same but he starts to score takedowns, 3rd round it hits the gorund again and he gets tapped in an armbar.

Mir to Sub Kongo (Triangle) Kongo will light Mir up when Mir tries to stand with him believing his own hype, Knogo sloppily will either get taken down or get cought in a triangle while trying to Gnp Mir from inside his guard while standing.

Gonzaga vs JDS is the one fight that I think will be very very close, Im backing Gonzaga to win UD because im not totally sold on JDS. He didnt blow a shot Crocop away like he should he should have. Gonzaga is bigger bettwe on the ground and has a standup game to give JDS problems there... I think 29-28 Gonzaga after controlling the Ground game
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:47 pm

5 rounder Nog beats Cain every time.
    in a regular bout the only way Cain can win is a decision, i dont think he would be able to keep the fight standing if Nog wants it on the ground (depite being a great wrestler) Nog could pull guard of even take him down. even if it goes the distance there is no guarentee Cain wins, Nog has great ground skills he swept randy twice, not to mention he swept fedor.It is a step to far for Cain.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:12 pm

It would be great to see Nog win this. Id love to see him as Champ again, and id love to see Lil Nog as Lhw champ, It would be great to see them both hold titles. It isnt that far fetched considering how close a fight Nog vs Shogun was. If Lesnar is out till next summer I wonder wether an Interim Title will be created?
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:54 pm

i can see nog pulling off a submission win here whoever wins this deserves the shot after carwin
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:09 pm

Looks like its a done deal

http://mmalinker.com/news/view/993567/

heavyweight showdown between Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira and Cain Velasquez has been confirmed for UFC 108 in Las Vegas.

The possibility of the bout arose last week when Nogueira’s manager talked about the fight to SportTV. MMAWeekly.com has since been able to confirm the bout with multiple sources, who say it will happen on Jan. 2.

After losing the interim UFC heavyweight title to Frank Mir at UFC 92, Nogueira (32-5-1) returned with an impressive victory over UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture at UFC 102 in August. The win immediately put his name back in the hat of contenders to the belt currently held by Brock Lesnar.

Velasquez (7-0) is coming off a dominating TKO stoppage of Ben Rothwell at UFC 104. Three years into the sport, Velasquez has made a quick rise to the top of the heavyweight division with five of his victories taking place in the Octagon and only one having gone to a decision.

Most felt that in his next bout Velasquez would face the winner of the title fight between UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin. But when that fight was bumped off of the UFC 106 fight card, and a subsequent attempt to reschedule it for UFC 108 was derailed due to Lesnar suffering from a case of mononucleosis, it became apparent that Velasquez would have to wait too long for that fight to play out.

With much of the top tier of the UFC’s roster already booked or on injured reserve, the promotion needed a high profile fight for its New Year’s event. It hasn’t yet been confirmed, but it is likely that Nogueira versus Velasquez will headline UFC 108 or at least attain co-main event status with the winner likely getting a shot at the winner of Lesnar and Carwin once that fight plays out.

UFC 108 also features a light heavyweight battle between Top 10 ranked fighters Rashad Evans, who is coming off of a stint as a coach on “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights,” and Brazilian striker Thiago Silva
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Lets see...

Mir vs Kongo:

Grappler vs striker. I think Mir has enough skills on the feet to avoid being KOed quick. When he gets the takedown he should be able to submit Kongo. Everyone talks about how Kongo has a shit ground game- the reality is he has never been submitted. He just has shit wrestling and defending of takedowns. I find that strange considering the size of the man but oh well, all Europeans seem to have shit wrestling i.e all british fighters, Kongo and Kampmann. Anyway, Mir is very good on the ground and if he gets it there, it should be quick. Kongo always has a chance with his power but I don't think so.

JDS vs Gonzaga

Im confident Santos will win this, ok he wasn't that impressive against Cro Cop but I honestly think it was nerves. Fighting a legend of the sport but he passed his test. Gonzaga is better on the ground, and if he is smart he will take it there quick. But I think he will leave himself open and Dos Santos will crush his temple. Dos Santos KTFO of Werdum who dominated Gonzaga. MMA math rarely works but Dos Satos should be too much. That would put Dos Santos right in the mix, 4 big wins in a row. Werdum-a top 10 HW, Struve- A promosing up and comer and Cro Cop- A legend of MMA. Gonzaga's next on the list.

Nog vs Velasquez

Really have no idea to be honest. Too hard to guess for me.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:04 pm

Really hard to say how this fight will pan out, which I suppose is a good thing that its unpredictable.

Big test of Nog's chin, and also Cain's power. Can he knock out Nog???

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:16 pm