THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
rudeboyben84
i-am-the-law
6 posters

Aaron Cook Spectacularly Knockouts World And Olympic Champion To Win World Taekwondo Tour

i-am-the-law
    i-am-the-law
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Aaron Cook Spectacularly Knockouts World And Olympic Champion To Win World Taekwondo Tour Empty Aaron Cook Spectacularly Knockouts World And Olympic Champion To Win World Taekwondo Tour

Post  i-am-the-law Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:30 am

What a finish by the young lad, well done Aaron.

(cut and pasted)

Aaron Cook recorded the greatest victory of his career on Saturday as he knocked out current World Champion Steven Lopez in the second round of the final, to win the -80kg gold at the inaugural World Taekwondo Tour which took place in Mexico City on 14 November 2009. Cook picked up a $30,000 top prize, the largest single award ever won by a British taekwondo athlete.

Aaron Cook, who narrowly missed out on a podium finish at the Beijing Olympics as a 17 year-old, knocked out his experienced opponent in the second round with a stunning head kick. Thirty one year-old Lopez (USA), who is the greatest taekwondo athletes ever having won five World Championships and two Olympic Games, was facing Dorset athlete Cook for the first time in his career. Cook said, “[Steven] Lopez is a great athlete and has been top of the sport for a long time now. I knew that an opponent with his experience was always going to be tough but I never doubted my ability.”

“I wanted to finish the year on a high and put in a top performance at this competition. It is amazing to have taken the gold and to have beaten the World Champion in doing so makes it the greatest victory in my career so far.”

The knockout kick and final round of the match can be viewed below:

http://www.britishtaekwondo.org.uk/index.php?pagename=british-taekwondo-control-board-news&news_id=241
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Aaron Cook Spectacularly Knockouts World And Olympic Champion To Win World Taekwondo Tour Empty Re: Aaron Cook Spectacularly Knockouts World And Olympic Champion To Win World Taekwondo Tour

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:14 am

There didnt look to be much on that head kick... especially in headgear etc.. the guy who got KO'd must have been fairly chinny!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Aaron Cook Spectacularly Knockouts World And Olympic Champion To Win World Taekwondo Tour Empty Re: Aaron Cook Spectacularly Knockouts World And Olympic Champion To Win World Taekwondo Tour

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:14 am

Barely seemed to land at all! More of a Ronaldo-style dive than a KO! How do you get kicked in the back of the head and then fall backwards?
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:00 pm

Its a left kick to the chin that floors him!!

Right kick to back of the head then left kick to the chin. Looked solid enough!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:47 pm

He was already falling over before the left kick which looked to have very little power. more of a flip kick than anything.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:24 am

Well done to him, I can remember watching him in the Olympics and getting more into the Taekwondo than any athletics!!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:28 am

he nearly kicks his hat off he he

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:50 pm