THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Team Koscheck "TUF 12" coaches include Bob Cook, Javier Mendez, Dave Camarillo

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Team Koscheck "TUF 12" coaches include Bob Cook, Javier Mendez, Dave Camarillo Empty Team Koscheck "TUF 12" coaches include Bob Cook, Javier Mendez, Dave Camarillo

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:13 am

Team Koscheck "TUF 12" coaches include Bob Cook, Javier Mendez, Dave Camarillo Josh-koscheck-6

LAS VEGAS – "The Ultimate Fighter 12" coach Josh Koscheck has selected three of his trainers as assistant coaches for the upcoming reality show.

In an interview with MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) at UFC Fan Expo 2010, the top UFC welterweight contender and "TUF 1" cast member confirmed three mainstays from his gym, the famed American Kickboxing Academy.

The list includes former ISKA kickboxing world champ and AKA owner/head trainer Javier Mendez, one-time UFC fighter and AKA's head MMA trainer "Crazy" Bob Cook, and Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt/AKA trainer Dave Camarillo.

Koscheck and his assistant coaches begin taping "TUF 12" this week in Las Vegas. The show debuts on Spike TV on Sept. 15, and Koscheck coaches opposite UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre. The duo meets in a season-ending title fight sometime in December.

Koscheck, who won his title shot and the "TUF 12" coaching gig with a win over Paul Daley earlier this month, said he'll give fans a reason to tune into the competition-reality series.

"It's going to be a great opportunity for me, my brand (and) the UFC," he said. "I think I bring something different to this show than the previous coaches because it's about personality. I bring a lot of personality with me (and) with my group. I'm super excited."

"TUF 12" is a lightweights-only season of the show. As with past seasons of "TUF," which debuted more than five years ago, the winner earns a UFC contract.

A coaching staff can play a pivotal role in cast members' ability to advance in the 32-slot tournaments.

With Team Koscheck, fighters get decades of experience.

Koscheck, one of the biggest stars to come out of the "TUF" series, was a four-time Division I All-American wrestler at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania. In his junior year, he went 42-0 and won a national championship. His wrestling experience allowed him to find quick success in MMA, and in large part due to AKA, he's rounded out his game with strong standup skills. With 17 bouts in the UFC, the Brazilian jiu-jitsu brown belt is one of the organization's most experienced fighters. His current three-fight win streak includes wins over Frank Trigg, Anthony Johnson and Daley.

Mendez, who's been involved in martial arts for more than 30 years, opened AKA after winning two titles with ISKA, including the light-cruiserweight championship on his 18th birthday. His AKA gym, which opened in the 1980s, has become of combat-sports' most productive facilities and is now home to UFC mainstays such as Koscheck, Mike Swick, Cain Velasquez and Jon Fitch.

Cook, who's 5-0 pro MMA career includes a submission win over Tiki Ghosn at UFC 24, is now the head MMA trainer at AKA. He also manages many of the camp's top MMA fighters and is considered one of the sport's most powerful people.

Camarillo, an elite-level jiu-jitsu and judo competitor, began his training and competition before the term "mixed martial arts" had even been coined. The founder of "Guerrilla jiu jitsu," the Gracie black belt today is seen in many top fighters' corners, including those he trains at AKA.

I think this season will have the two strongest coaching teams thats ever been on TUF.
    Probably the closest thing to what a few of us have been calling from TUF for a while now,camp vs camp,well trainers vs trainers anyway.

Kos with these guys and I'm sure he'll have more help from other AKA guys if needed,while GSP will probably have Phil nurse as his Mauy Thai coach,his usual Tristar team and whoever from Greg Jacksons.
    elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Team Koscheck "TUF 12" coaches include Bob Cook, Javier Mendez, Dave Camarillo Empty Re: Team Koscheck "TUF 12" coaches include Bob Cook, Javier Mendez, Dave Camarillo

Post  elmatadorafa Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:15 am

Cant wait to see GSP's team. That is going to be an all-star lineup.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Team Koscheck "TUF 12" coaches include Bob Cook, Javier Mendez, Dave Camarillo Empty Re: Team Koscheck "TUF 12" coaches include Bob Cook, Javier Mendez, Dave Camarillo

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:05 pm

WIth the announcement earlier today that The Ultimate Fighter 12 has began production, here is a quick run down of who you can expect to see alongside Georges St. Pierre and Josh Koscheck as their assistant coaches:

Team St-Pierre:

Firas Zahabi - MMA coach
    Phil Nurse - Muay Thai coach
    Jean-Charles Skarbowsky - Muay Thai coach
    John Danaher - BJJ coach
    Shawn Williams - BJJ coach

Team Koscheck:

Bob Cook - MMA coach
    Daniel Cormier - Wrestling coach
    Javier Mendez - Kickboxing coach
    Dave Camarillo - BJJ coach
    Teddy Lucio - Boxing coach
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:42 am

Strange that GSP is bringing two Muay Thai coaches as well as Firas who is a stand-up guy. And two BJJ coaches. But no wrestling coach? No strength and conditioning coach? Odd. Kos has a much better balanced group. Phil Nurse is an AMAZING muay thai coach. Rashad brought him in and he worked wonders, and he's reputed to be the best Muay Thai coach in America.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:54 am

I think GSP will coach the wrestling and the strenth and conditioning. Firas can help with that as well, he always helps KenFlo and GSP get in shape.

Its quite likely we are going to see fighters from GSP's and Kos's camps as well. Expect to see Fitch, Evans, Nate, KenFlo ect during the season.

I hope Nurse can help GSP with his muay thai, he could use some help with his standup.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:29 am

That's fair enough, but there's no need for two BJJ coaches.

If i was putting a team together i'd bring with me:

Phil Nurse - Muay Thai
    Howard Davis Jr - Boxing
    Eddie Bravo -BJJ
    Marv Marinovich - S and C
    Mark Johnson - Wrestling Coach.

I actually don't think it would be possibly to improve on that group of trainers.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:44 am

Ye I do find that a little bizarre, he would have been better off bringing a boxing or kickboxing coach. Both the BJJ coaches are going to be teaching the same thing.

That group of trainers would be absolutely fantastic but its not easy to get all those guys considering they work with different camps but if I could chose someone to train me, I'd pick those guys.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:55 am

Well Nurse and Bravo work to contracts so it would be easy enough to get them, same with Marv because he only really works with BJ Penn and then with some NFL players in the off season. Davis would be really hard to get hold of because of his commitments to ATT. Chuck had to pull some strings to get him. Mark Johnson was the head coach of the University of Illinois for many years but retired from that. He'd be the easiest to get as i know him quiet well.
    Paddyjock
    Paddyjock
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paddyjock Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:50 pm

Maybe GSP has 2 BJJ coaches, 1 for armbars and 1 for Kimuras?? Razz Razz

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:02 am