THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
the_king
redmeanie77
The_Axe_Emperor
7 posters

Velasquez out for 6-8 months!

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Velasquez out for 6-8 months! Empty Velasquez out for 6-8 months!

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:23 am

LAS VEGAS -- It will be a long while until the new UFC heavyweight champion defends his title.

Newly crowned champ Cain Velasquez will be out of action for six to eight months with an injured shoulder, sources with knowledge of the situation told MMA Fighting.

UFC president Dana White subsequently confirmed the news to MMA Fighting following Wednesday's UFC 125 press conference at the MGM Grand Hotel.

"Yep, it's true," White gloomily responded when asked if Velasquez would have to be shelved. He said the summer of 2011 would hopefully bring Velasquez's return.

When he does return, his next foe is already lined up. Junior Dos Santos has been promised a chance to fight for the belt, and he will likely be forced into a waiting game while Velasquez heals up.

The San Jose, California-based fighter won the belt just two months ago at UFC 121, earning a first-round TKO over Brock Lesnar in a dominant performance.

Known for an aggressive style that melds powerful kickboxing with take downs and ground work, Velasquez has had a swift and impressive run up the heavyweight ladder, capturing the title within four years of his MMA debut. His record stands at a perfect 9-0.

A soft-spoken fighter, Velasquez gained a new level of fame while promoting the fight to Latino audiences in Mexico and the US, and going on to defeat a mainstream star in Lesnar.

The sources declined to name Velasquez's exact injury, and White was not sure, only to say that champ has indeed found himself on the shelf for the foreseeable future.

== ==

I think it's fair to say, Armbar, altogether now, "FOR. FUCKS. SAKE!" Sad

Most anticipated fight of 2011, pushed back 3 quarters of the year Sad
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Velasquez out for 6-8 months! Empty Re: Velasquez out for 6-8 months!

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:49 am

Son of a Whoooooooooooooooooore Exclamation

1.03 second mark
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:32 am

lol, son of a whore. this is where i agree with anfield about contracts jds is gonna have to wait to fight meaning his earnings will take a hit. i always feel sorry for guys who have probably been fit to fight for months yet have to wait more time then they need.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:33 am

AKA have a common thing for overtraining and getting injured, i have heard...real shame.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:11 am

Mendes says its a torn rotator cuff, and 6-8 months maybe too optimistic for a return date.

Perhaps Mir was pulled from the fight so he can fight JDS for an interim belt or no.1 contender spot??

This is actually not a bad thing for the HW division, its not a stacked division, and they put on alot of big HW fights this year already. So it does give some time for the divison to get going again. For instance there is no clear no.1 contender after this fight, Carwin, Nog, Nelson all had surgery and are out for a while, Brock is coming from a loss, Mir needs another big win to get going again.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:20 am

I'm up for JDS smashing Mir, whos with me?? cat

Seriously though, JDS would destroy Mir and would make everyone realise the actual level of Mir's striking. This fight makes sense now, i'm as big a fan of Rashad Evans as i am of JDS and it's pissed me off with Evans waiting ages for Shogun to get fit again, so i hope JDS doesn't do the same.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:29 am

Anyone like to take a bet on JDS vs Lesnar for an "interim title" being announced in the next month or two?? Mir is coming off getting his face smashed twice and then having a 13 minute hug with CroCop. Can't see him getting JDS. I think Mir vs Struve is the fight we'll see.

Torn rotator cuff is bad news for someone like Cain. That's a horrible injury to try and recover from and to be quite honest, he might never be the same fighter because it could take away a lot of his power and explosiveness. He's looking at a very hard rehab on the shoulder.

Chesty, AKA use "mindless training". Those boys basically work until they fail. Not good for the body. at all.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:32 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Anyone like to take a bet on JDS vs Lesnar for an "interim title" being announced in the next month or two?? Mir is coming off getting his face smashed twice and then having a 13 minute hug with CroCop. Can't see him getting JDS. I think Mir vs Struve is the fight we'll see.

Torn rotator cuff is bad news for someone like Cain. That's a horrible injury to try and recover from and to be quite honest, he might never be the same fighter because it could take away a lot of his power and explosiveness. He's looking at a very hard rehab on the shoulder.

Chesty, AKA use "mindless training". Those boys basically work until they fail. Not good for the body. at all.

You really think the UFC would risk Lesnar in a fight like that?

Would Lesnar even accept that fight?
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:39 am

im well up for lesnar vs jds.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:19 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:Anyone like to take a bet on JDS vs Lesnar for an "interim title" being announced in the next month or two?? Mir is coming off getting his face smashed twice and then having a 13 minute hug with CroCop. Can't see him getting JDS. I think Mir vs Struve is the fight we'll see.

Headline fight, chance to make a lot of money, chance to get his belt back. i think Lesnar takes the fight.

UFC put him in with Carwin and Cain. And they stand to make a stupid amount of money off it because of all the WWE fans buying the event. so i think the UFC would make it.

Of course the reality is that JDS will hit him once, Lesnar will turn and run, then hurl himself on the ground, JDS will hit him a second time and Lesnar will start tapping the air like he's trying to hit a buzzer to win a blowjob off Arianny. Three asskickings in a row should finally make the few last remaining souls realize that Lesnar is not a top level fighter.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:36 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:

Headline fight, chance to make a lot of money, chance to get his belt back. i think Lesnar takes the fight.

UFC put him in with Carwin and Cain. And they stand to make a stupid amount of money off it because of all the WWE fans buying the event. so i think the UFC would make it.

Of course the reality is that JDS will hit him once, Lesnar will turn and run, then hurl himself on the ground, JDS will hit him a second time and Lesnar will start tapping the air like he's trying to hit a buzzer to win a blowjob off Arianny. Three asskickings in a row should finally make the few last remaining souls realize that Lesnar is not a top level fighter.

lol hitting a buzzer for a bj lol! wow
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:38 am

Frank Mir wrote: Cain get well soon sorry to hear about the injury.

Now there's 2 guys for me to to #TUF against. Brock or JDS either one works for me.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Ed Soares says Junior isnt waiting around 6 months and will take another fight

http://www.mmabay.co.uk/2010/12/30/junior-dos-santos-refuses-to-wait-around-after-velasquez-suffers-injury-set-to-take-another-fight/

Im assuming Lesnar is going to take the TUF coaching role becase Mir seems a lot easier a fight than JDS, I think JDS is getting Carwin. Id rather see that than Lesnar, Carwin can take a hit better and I reckon id back him to win a rematch.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:18 pm

so what happens if carwin ko's jds will jds lose his title oppitunity. i dont expect jds to lose i think he will be too clever.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:47 pm

Junior Dos Santos: -

"I'm really outraged. How does a person leaves a fight versus Brock Lesnar in perfect physical condition and then get hurt without being in training? The last news I heard about Velasquez, he was riding in Mexico. How did he get injured?" he questioned.

"I'm in the best moment of my career, training heavily and working hard to put on the fight of my life, and all of a sudden, this is postponed for eight months. That's unfair.

“I'm five months without fighting, fighting is my life, not just because I love doing it, but also because I need to fight for a living. I don't make as much money as the top fighters, so I really need to work" said Cigano who expects Dana White to put him to dispute an interim belt.

"Of course it would be fantastic to face Velasquez at 'UFC Rio', in August, but I can't keep myself one year away from the Octagon only waiting for his recovering… so I do think what would be most fair, would be Dana gives me the opportunity to fight for an interim belt".

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=5865
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:16 pm

It will most likely be a pointless "interim" title which is a complete fraud that the UFC loves to do.

But Dos Santos hasn't really earned a title shot anyway. Names of any top 10 HW's he's beaten? He should have to fight Carwin, winner gets Cain.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:04 am