THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
George_Louis_Costanza@who
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
7 posters

Gomi says he will KO Florian

Poll

Who is going to win ?

[ 6 ]
    Gomi says he will KO Florian I_vote_lcap60%Gomi says he will KO Florian I_vote_rcap [60%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Gomi says he will KO Florian I_vote_lcap40%Gomi says he will KO Florian I_vote_rcap [40%] 

Total Votes: 10
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Gomi says he will KO Florian Empty Gomi says he will KO Florian

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:19 pm

Takanori Gomi says he will beat Kenny Florian “by first round knockout” when they meet in the UFC Octagon in the near future. As first reported by Fighters Only and subsequently confirmed by Florian on MMA Live, the fight is being lined up to headline UFC Fight Night 21 on March 31st.

In an interview with Japanese MMA news portal Kampiro, Gomi gave his thoughts on the fight, the move to the UFC and the nature of MMA in the US:

On the fight with Florian:

Not much to say. This was already planned. I'm preparing well and I will not have problems adapting to the octagon. Mr. Florian is a fighter with good skills, one of the best of its kind in the UFC. It is a good opponent for a good start. I make a good fight for the public and start a successful outcome.

On studying tape of Florian:

This honestly does not bother me. Today, all MMA practitioners know how to fight a little of everything. I know he is a dangerous fighter with a good game on the floor.

On how he intends beat Florian:

By knockout in the 1st round!

On the prospect of getting a title shot if he beats Florian:

I always think about that possibility. Since I entered the UFC, always made clear that the belt is my goal. I will get this title for the Japanese, its what we all want.

On fighting UFC lightweight champion BJ Penn for a second time (first was at a Hawaiian show several years ago)

He is a tremendous fighter. But I know my ability and I know I'm the right person to cause problems him in the UFC. I am patient and will wait for my chance. But Mr. Dana White is one who knows the importance of this struggle.

On the loss to Nate Diaz:

I lost to Mr. Diaz because I did not fight well because I did not have adequate physical preparation, because I thought it would win the fight soon. I'm not afraid of bigger fighters and higher.

Mr. Lesnar, the heavyweight champion, is one example. He has great technique and a good boxing footwork, but their strength is immense and requires a great technique to balance that force opponents. However, I do not have this kind of problem in my category.

On training at Xtreme Couture a while ago:

When you train with great fighters, you always learn something. I intend to carry out my training continuously in the United States, but I have not decided anything about it. I received some calls, but I have not thought enough on the subject

http://www.fightersonlymagazine.co.uk/news/viewarticle.php?id=3832
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Gomi says he will KO Florian Empty Re: Gomi says he will KO Florian

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:46 pm

Id love Gomi to win but I got Kflo by UD, Florian just has to avoid Gomi's hands and pick him off... hope im wrong but Gomi is going to get picked apart by Florian, he wont look bad in the loss or get dominated but I think he is a big underdog here
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:08 pm

I hope he does but even the training at ATT might not be enough he has looked pretty mediocre of late I agree with Ben Ken Flo UD.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:38 pm

he looked fine for 15 minutes of his last fight but he tried to hard to get the finish late in the 3rd and came out for round 4 gassed.
    it was a great fight if you haven't seen it.

he has been training at the top level since then, and since this is a 15 minute fight he will not gas i am sure of it.
    i have Gomi taking this in the first round by knocking him down and pummeling him to a stoppage, Florian is tough but KOing him is definatley possible and in my opinion quite likely.
    I cant see florian winning a decision, if anyone wins a decision it will be gomi. only by submission florian wins (or cuts Evil or Very Mad) .

i think Gomi is a level above Florian as a fighter and multiple levels above anyone Florian has beaten.

i do like florian though bom
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:50 pm

Man I hope your right Chesty. In terms of being a great Gomi is a level above Florian... right now on current form Florian is looking better, Gomis last fight was great but it was against Tony Hervey... not the toughest opponent.

By Comparison Florian Dominated Guida who is a much better fighter. I could see Florian beaint Gomi to the punch and avoiding the heavy hands and taking a UD.

I like both fighters but Gomi winning and being back on Form would do more for the Lw devision...
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:59 pm

Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:36 pm

for some reason i keep picturing a quick ko from Gomi here hope im right because the LW division needs another exciting contender and do see the point of Florian fighting BJ again cant see it happening any different
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm

Takanori Gomi admits the rules of the octagon might take some getting used to

UFC lightweight, Takanori Gomi has admitted ahead of his March 31st showdown with Kenny Florian in Charlotte, North Carolina that the difference in rules may take some getting used to, especially the elbows Speaking via MMAFighting.com, Gomi said:

“This is my first time to fight in the Octagon and fighting under the new rules, so I’m a little bit concerned about that. There are no elbows fighting in Japan and that’s why (I am) more concerned in the United States.”

“Because I’ve fought more than 30 times I’m still looking for a challenge in my career — that’s the reason to move into the UFC. This is my challenge, to be a champion in the UFC.”

UFC President, Dana White has already revealed that the Japanese superstar could find himself thrust into the number one contenders spot should he defeat Florian on the night.

Man i hope a Kenflo elbow doesnt decide this fight. Neutral
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Smart bet is Florian. I think he out lands Gomi standing, takes his legs away with kicks. When Gomi gets tired of getting hit, he goes for a desperation takedown, Florian sprawls, takes his back, chokes him out late in the second round.

However, I think Gomi is actually a fighter who could make a late resurgence and bring back some of his old form. He's a fighter who needs a goal, needs to believe he's actually fighting where the top talent is. Because of his power, he'll always be a huge threat to anyone he fights, and his wrestling/ground game has never been a liability in quite the way some make it out to be.

WAR GOMI!

great_ginger_10
    great_ginger_10
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  great_ginger_10 Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:14 pm

[quote="sunthunder"]Smart bet is Florian. I think he out lands Gomi standing, takes his legs away with kicks. When Gomi gets tired of getting hit, he goes for a desperation takedown, Florian sprawls, takes his back, chokes him out late in the second round.

I think it will go similar to this but I think that Florian will win it in the third with a submission. Gomi is a great addition to the UFC, and may well challenge for the title at some point but I don't think it will be after the Florian fight
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:48 pm

If Gomi knocked Florian out i would be ecstatic.

i think a well prepared Gomi beat Florian more often than not.

i just hope he IS well prepared and elbows dont come into it that much.

i dont think it'll be that bad, his last fight had elbows, knees, stomps, soccer. Vale Tudo Japan is old school!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 7:41 am