THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
sunthunder
7 posters

Gomi in the US to meet with UFC/Strikeforce

sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Gomi in the US to meet with UFC/Strikeforce Empty Gomi in the US to meet with UFC/Strikeforce

Post  sunthunder Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:21 pm

"Former PRIDE Fighting Championships lightweight title-holder Takanori Gomi recently departed his home in Japan and plans to meet with UFC officials about a potential contract.

Gomi discussed his plans in a blog on his official Web site, where he also discussed attending the weekend's Manny Pacquiao vs. Miguel Cotto boxing blockbuster.

The 31-year-old fighter, once regarded as the world's top lightweight, said he's also considering discussions with Strikeforce if a deal can't be reached with the UFC.

Gomi (31-5) suffered rare back-to-back loses to unheralded Sergey Golyaev and Satoru Kitaoka in late 2008 and early 2009. The loss to Kitaoka cost Gomi World Victory Road's first-ever lightweight championship. However, he's since rebounded for wins over Takashi Nakakura and Tony Hervey, and he now looks to find a home in the U.S.

Gomi, long on the UFC's radar, said he wants to make his octagon debut to win the belt "that belongs to me." The belt, the UFC's 155-pound title, currently belongs to B.J. Penn, who first defeated Gomi (via third-round submission) at an October 2003 Rumble on the Rock event in Hawaii.

While the UFC arguably has the world's top collection of lightweight fighters, Strikeforce has accumulated a respectable division with current champ Josh Thomson, interim title-holder Gilbert Melendez, and contenders such as Vitor Ribeiro, Mitsuhiro Ishida, Billy Evangelista and Lyle Beerbohm.

Strikeforce also has the benefit of exposing Gomi to a massive TV audience via the CBS Saturday Night Fight series. The first show, headlined by Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brett Rogers, peaked with 5.5 million viewers earlier this month.

The UFC, though, is obviously Gomi's first choice, and Penn vs. Gomi II is certainly a marketable fight capable of carrying a major pay-per-view event.

Gomi attended UFC 79 in 2007 and prompted speculation about an imminent signing, but he's competed exclusively in Japan ever since PRIDE held a February 2007 show in Las Vegas."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/16869/takanori-gomi-in-the-u-s-meeting-with-the-ufc-and-possibly-strikeforce.mma

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would be amazing. I'd love to see a re-dedicated Gomi in the UFC lightweight division. He's such an exciting fighter. I've heard rumours that he'd move his training camps to the US, which I think is what he'd need to do in order to succeed, he needs to switch something up, probably train with some bigger fighters.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Gomi in the US to meet with UFC/Strikeforce Empty Re: Gomi in the US to meet with UFC/Strikeforce

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:28 pm

yesss! cheers

i want to see Gomi fight anywhere; be it UFC, Strikeforce or DREAM, all have good matchups for him.

My favourite all time LW, surely one of the best and most exciting fighters ever. he brings the fight every time and i think he would be a hard fight for any lightweight on the planet, great boxing, great chin, good wrestling and good ground game and he has bricks in his gloves!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Gomi in the US to meet with UFC/Strikeforce Empty Re: Gomi in the US to meet with UFC/Strikeforce

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Would be great to see him in the UFC against the likes of Sanchez,Guida ...etc
    I dont think he would be a serious treath to BJ though, but not many people are.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:32 pm

Doesnt matter were he goes as long as he is in the Mix with other good Lw's. I dont know what he would want to go to Strikeforce for? Dream are were all the good Lw's are at. Unless they can send them all over to fight Gomi. I want him straight in the mix with interesting fights wereever he goes.

In Dream/Strikeforce I want to see him fight Alvarez or rematch Hellboy.
    In UFC id like to see him fight Tyson Griffin or Clay Guida.

I hope he gets back on track, he hasnt exactly been on top form since he lost to Diaz, Just looking at his recor dmakes me think that he doesnt diserve the HOF status.. but I suppose a record tells half the story. Randys is shit after all!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:27 pm

I wanna see him in Strikeforce/Dream. Far better fights for him there!

Aoki, Hellboy, JZ Calvan, Alvarez, Melendez, Thompson, Marius Zaromkis at a catch weight, Noons rumoured to be coming back, rematch with Nick Diaz at a catch weight. That's NINE great fights Strikeforce can offer.

UFC can offer Penn, Sanchez, Florian, Sherk, Guida, Griffin, Stevenson, Diaz, Edgar.

Sorry but there's just no comparison. Strikeforce/Dream is the place to be at 155.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 am

From recent displays he would get abused by Penn but if he managed to work his way back to form again it would be a great rematch. As for the rest of the UFC, I'd like to see him fight Huerta or Griffin as the pair of them can really go.

But I agree with Anfield, Strikeforce/DREAM have so many more options to offer him especially as it would allow him to fight in both Japan and America. No doubt he'd enjoy being able to fight in front of his native fans (as well as corner surf!) which is something the UFC won't be able to offer in the near future. I think they'll do a better job of grabbing the bigger Japanese fighters when and if they ever start putting on shows in Japan.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:11 am

Yeah when you put it that way Strikeforce/Dream really does offer a lot more! Forgot about the likes of Melendez and Thompson, The Lw devision is crazily stacked, Probabally the best devision in MMA. A fight with JZ would be an absolute classic!

I just want to see Gomi back in with top competition where ever he ends up. He is one of the most entertaining fighers in MMA and rarely puts on a dull show. He might have a better chance of winning the title in Dream/Strikeforce though because he always has a punchers chance against Aoki... Aoki is a bit chinny and he has heavy hands, I could see an upset on the cards is Gomi got a crack at Aoki.

Who do people feel he would cope with Alvarez though? I see that as potentially a bad matchup for him.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:05 pm

Gomi trained at AKA today, apparently grappling with Fitch and Thompson. I hope he really does consider joining them for his training camps, AKA, a camp based on dominant imposing wrestlers would be just the place to improve his takedown/submission defence.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:14 pm

good news Gomi is still one of the best i think and there will be good match ups in either org

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:10 pm