THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
manschesthair_utd
redmeanie77
Anfields5thKing
ChelseaQuinsfan
8 posters

Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!!

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!! Empty Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!!

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:11 am

MMA Fanhouse is reporting that the UFC has signed Takanori Gomi (31-5-0, 1 NC) to a multi-fight deal. The UFC has not officially announced the signing as of this time. Gomi is a former PRIDE lightweight champion with notable victories over Rumina Sato, Jens Pulver, Hayato Sakurai, Duane Ludwig and Mitsuhiro Ishida.

Huge news if this turns out to be true, im not Gomi's biggest fan but he is considered by many as the second, if not best LW of all time. In his PRIDE days he was a wrecking machine. Good wrestler with hands of steel and good boxing. After losing two in a row, he has won his last two.

Some intresting matches can already be thought of already, Gomi vs Griffin/Edgar/Guida ect.

Thoughts?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!! Empty Re: Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!!

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:32 am

He'd have been better off staying clear of the UFC. Other than BJ, Sanchez and KenFlo, all the best LW's are outside the UFC. He'd actually be better off in the WEC IMO. Better shot at the title.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!! Empty Re: Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!!

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:11 am

Wow peoples prediction of UFC strenghtening their LW division and signing Gomi has come true so soon already. cheers
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:56 am

huge Gomi fan here.

THE best LW right now is in the UFC, but he has already fought him and lost.

the majority of the rest of the top 10 are outside the UFC, but the LW division is strong wherever he decided to go.

I am just thrilled to see him fight wherever, probably the most exciting TOP fighter ever and hands like fucking bricks.

Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!! 29zvkow
    Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!! Nn9x12
    Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!! 2luogy
    Takanori Gomi Signs With The UFC!!!!! 2q3yubr
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:32 pm

Great Gomi HL's chesty!, Gomi is a great signing, he isnt far off top 10 and I hope they dont throw him in with Penn straight away. I think a good 1st fight with him would be Kflo.... Cant wait to see him fight in the UFC! great signing.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:43 pm

If this was exactly 2 years ago when he was "on the verge" of signing for the UFC then it would of meant a lot more It is such a shame he has gone 4-2 against what I'd call average fighters I just can't see him being a factor in the UFC but in the WEC I think he could be a better addition to their ranks.

I'm a huge Gomi fan and I really want to see him set the UFC a light but sadly I have feeling this could another Cro Cop Sad
    quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:11 pm

this is a deffiniter...just watched Dana White's nlog from the 01-01-10 and hes stood with him and says that the ufc have signed him
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:28 pm

Intresting thoughts lads. Intresting about going to the WEC, thats still a possibilty but not right now. Gomi is now 30/31 and probably towards the twilight of his career. He has got to give it one last go and see if he still has it in him, the UFC has the best LW of all time in BJ Penn. That will be Gomi's overall aim, getting a rematch and avenging it.

I don't think they should rush him in straight away against the top LWs like Sanchez, Kenflo and Maynard. In fact even guys like Griffin and Edgar are tough first fights. I would like to see him first some one like Dos Anjos. Someone he can KO in spectacular fashion so the fans know who he is and so he gets used to the cage, time difference ect. After that the step up and road to the title begins.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Thanks for the tip Lee.

Nog looks huge at the weigh-ins, also Wandi looks smaller than he used to be.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:37 pm

I cant wait to see Gomi Kicking ass in the UFC. He had a few cardio issues but im sure he will sort it out, I dont think they will throw him in with BJ apparently Edgar is getting the next shot... Maynard might be a nightmare matchup for him. I wouldnt mind seeing him against Tyson Griffin for starters...

Who do people want to see Gomi against?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:42 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Thanks for the tip Lee.

Nog looks huge at the weigh-ins, also Wandi looks smaller than he used to be.

Wanderlei is in great shape, he handled the weight cut to 195lbs badly, but he says with the time off he has naturally brought his weight down and the cut to 185lbs wont drain him... I cant wait to see a faster fitter Wanderlei, I think he is going to be top 5 ranked at MW by then end of next year.

Evans looks Small, I think Evans could be fighting at Mw
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:12 pm

I think Clay Guida is the perfect gatekeeper to welcome Gomi to the UFC.

Clay's 5-5 in the UFC and is always sure to put on a good showing.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:54 pm

apparently Edgar is getting the next shot... Maynard might be a nightmare matchup for him. I wouldnt mind seeing him against Tyson Griffin for starters...

Where did you hear that? No way should he get a title shot right now, considering Maynard dominated him a few fights ago. BJ would batter him right now, I like Edgar but he is really small for LW and im not sure if he has the wrestling to takedown BJ. Maynard outwrestled him and Veach was outwrestling him, Maynard should be next with another win after beating Nate. On the feet, Edgar is a good boxer but he doesn't have KO power, certainly not enough to put away BJ and BJ is a better boxer.

Onto Gomi, Maynard is a terrible match up for him at the momment. Griffin and Guida are better opponents for him but still tough fights. He needs to be eased in Dos Anjos or Stephens are better fights. Stephens vs Gomi would be a war.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:01 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    apparently Edgar is getting the next shot... Maynard might be a nightmare matchup for him. I wouldnt mind seeing him against Tyson Griffin for starters...

Where did you hear that? No way should he get a title shot right now, considering Maynard dominated him a few fights ago. BJ would batter him right now, I like Edgar but he is really small for LW and im not sure if he has the wrestling to takedown BJ. Maynard outwrestled him and Veach was outwrestling him, Maynard should be next with another win after beating Nate. On the feet, Edgar is a good boxer but he doesn't have KO power, certainly not enough to put away BJ and BJ is a better boxer.

Onto Gomi, Maynard is a terrible match up for him at the momment. Griffin and Guida are better opponents for him but still tough fights. He needs to be eased in Dos Anjos or Stephens are better fights. Stephens vs Gomi would be a war.

http://urdirt.com/2010/01/01/report-frankie-edgar-may-be-bj-penns-next-fight-gray-maynard-not-exciting-enough/

Nothing conclusive, just rumours.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:30 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:

Its not 100% that Edgar is getting the shot, Ive heard everywere that its between him and Maynard and Id agree Maynard diserves it being Basically Undefeated and with a win over Edgar! What ive heard is that BJ's camp are pushing for edgar because they think it makes for a more exciting fight (Or maby the fact Maynard is close to twice Edgars size has something to do with it!!)

Dos Anjos or Stevens are good calls, they have plenty of options for Gomi alright! Yeah your Spot on about Maynard being a bad match, I could see Maynard going back to his old Dryhumping routine!!! Laughing

What about Nate Diaz if he looses? get revenge for his Brother beating him!! If Guillard wins at UFC 109 him and Gomi would be guarenteed Fireworks! Id say Guida or Tyson would make a better 2nd fight... If he gets back to his old form him vs Sanchez is going to be a full scale War, Ive seen Gomi Dropped once or Twice but I dont think he has been KO'd, I think Gomi of old would beat Diaz on the feet.. not quite the handspeed but he hits harder. Dennis Siver would be a great fight as well for a lower ranked guy, his fights have been brutal recently, Ive been a big fan since I saw him fight over here in dublin.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Oh and ment to point out BJ will probabally get what he wants, he got off defending his Title to tryand fight GSP didnt he!! So I can see his camp putting forward a case that Edgar will be a more exciting fight and UFC will agree because its BJ Penn!!.

The more I think about it the more I think Maynard might have it in him to be a terrible fight for BJ, he isnt far smaller or weaker than GSP and his wrestling is good, he can maby somther BJ against the fence and grind out a TD if he tires him...

Ill never thin BJ wont be a huge favorite against anyone. Maynard included! but I wonder if Maynard could cause BJ a lot of problems... Its a more interestingn fight than Edgar who will just get schooled by Penn at boxing.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks for the update lads, I do think Maynard would be a much harder matchup for BJ than Edgar.

There are a few others that could face Gomi as well. The LW division can be split up into different sectors.

Average/ Below average fighters: Aron Riley, Rob Emerson, Wiman, Winner, Gugerty, Danzig, Kelly, Justin Buchholz, Phillipe Nover, Kyle Bradley, Cole Miller, Dan Lauzon and a few others

Good fighters: Stephens, Dos Anjos, Fisher, Sotiropulous, Stout, Dunham, Uno, Pearson, Escudero, Siver, Veach, Duane Ludwig, Neer, Pellingrino, Guillard, Tibau, Etim ect. and a few others,

Above those are in the third tier are: Daddy, Guida, Griffin, Edgar, Diaz, Jim Miller

Then you have in the second tier: Maynard, Sanchez, Kenflo.

Then you have BJ who is the best by a clear distance.

Gomi would spark all of the average fighters, and most of the good fighters. I think he should face on of the good fighters right now. Something challenging and that would get him training right and motivated. Fisher vs Gomi would do me quite nicely.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:40 pm

Nate Diaz makes sense and as you say the UFC could use the Nick Diaz-Gomi fight to build the fight,I'm pretty sure Nick would be in Nates corner.

Spencer Fisher would also be a good first fight for Gomi.

In fact looking at a list of all the UFC LW's there are loads of good match ups for Gomi as a first fight.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=fighter.AllFighters&did=5&LName=
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:59 pm

Ye I forgot a few of those fighters in my groups. Some big ones as well.

Sherk would go thrid tier right now, Boeck and Tavarez would go average/good.

Maynard has a much better chance than Edgar does, his hands are as good as Edgars and his wrestling is a lot bigger. Plus he is twice the size of Edgar, better conditioned and a better athelte. No LW in the world is a bad matchup for BJ but Maynard comes closest.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:11 pm

Gomi-Kenflo in the works, but nothing offical yet.

Is this too tough a fight for Gomi now?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:14 pm

I hope not, that is a tough first fight. Kenflo is the best LW in the UFC not named BJ Penn right now. Tough fight, they should give him something easier, Stephens would be a better choice.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:23 pm

I think Diego would beat FKLO, but its a close run thing. I think Gomi has a better chance against KFLO that he has against Diego. Gomi on form beat Kenny, only just but the thing is Gomi isnt on Form. He Gassed in his last fight and if he gasses against Kenny his face is fetting slashed to ribbons!!

I dont know what will happen. Im putting Kenny as a favoite to win this one, But Gomi has been trainig hard at ATT so who knows? Its not a total missmatch. You can never write off Legends who appear past their best, It only takes that 1 big win and they are back on track. Gomi has beatten guys like Pulver, Crusher and Mach not that long ago, if he shows up on that form he will win.... I dont think Kenny can KO Gomi and I can see him subbing him unless he gasses badly but I think he can outwork him and take the UD
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:34 pm

The thing is im not rulling out Gomi at all, I think he has a good chance to win but he has a good chance to lose as well. I think it would be good for him to get a win straight of the bat to make himself a name among the fans and to get his confidence high.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:18 pm

this would be a perfect 2nd UFC fight for Gomi, prime Gomi takes this all day long, Flo would have nothing for him. Annoyingly Kenflo has the tactic where he likes to cut his opponents. I could see this being a problem although Gomi's last fight was as close to NHB as you get these days and he was fine.

As for the cardio issue. I doubt he will gas against Florian, Gomi's last fight was a 5 rounder, and he was absolutley fine until he blew himself out at the end of the 3rd round of a high paced fight. If it were a 3 rounder it would have been perfectly timed!!! Smile
    but he gassed in the 4th and 5th rounds, and Florian doesnt have the type of style to gas fighters out anyway.

the only worry is last time in the USA he gassed horrendously against Nick Diaz, but he put that down to being in Vegas for the first time and partying etc, this is potentially in Newark NJ but i dont think he will make that mistake again.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:41 pm

I don't think anyone can contain themselves from partying in Vegas in all honesty.

The way Kenflo gasses opponents is because of his frantic pace, KenFlo will cause problems here for Gomi but I do think Gomi takes it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 4:58 pm