THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Gomi gunning for Edgar

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Gomi gunning for Edgar Empty Gomi gunning for Edgar

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:10 pm

Gomi gunning for Edgar Gomi-Florian

“BJ, Florian have a jiu-jitsu base so I had a hard time dealing with them but the champion has a wrestling base so I can fight him calmly. I’m aiming for the belt? Yes, I am. I think I can take the belt. Hmmm…I wonder if I’m stronger than the champ?? (smile).”

This is an absolute dream fight, I think style wise this has fight of the year written all over it. Clearly Gomi is a few wins off being a contender again but I think he can do it...

Realistic fight for him I guess would be George Sot or Nate Diaz if he came down to 155 again. I think if he could be matched up and beat either of those guys he could rematch BJ or Kenny for a number 1 contenders fight? What do people think? I dont know about getting the shot but if he did I think he would have a good chance of beating Edgar.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Gomi gunning for Edgar Empty Re: Gomi gunning for Edgar

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:16 pm

After seeing what Florian do to Gomi standing up, i can see Edgar doing much of the same just much better, he will be in and out and leaving Gomi swinging at fresh air...
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:37 pm

Edgar is not finishing Gomi. no way, no how.

i honestly dont think this is a great matchup for Gomi but offensively Gomi is a much better striker than BJ and could well knock Frankie out cold, if this fight ever happens though i could see Edgar looking busy enough to literally run away with a decision.

i would die happy if Gomi became UFC champ...ok exagguration but you see what i mean!! Razz
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 pm

thought i may as well post this here:

Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-2-2) has taken a major step in his UFC career and made the move to New Mexico's own Jackson's Jiu Jitsu to help prepare for UFC 120. He will be headlining the card on October 16 at the O2 Arena in London against Michael Bisping (19-3-0). Sources say that Akiyama has just started his training and that the move to Albuquerque is a permanent one.
    Akiyama's move is a surprising one, as he is very vocal in his love for his home country of Japan. As a Japanese native, he prides himself on being the best there is in representing his homeland. This became very apparent at UFC 116, when his original opponent Wanderlei Silva had to drop the match due to injury. UFC vet Chris Leben stepped up to take the fight on short notice and Akiyama felt he should have had a tougher, more well known opponent. Silva is well known in Japan for his former PRIDE days. Leben ended up winning the match by triangle choke.
    Akiyama's next match up will be a tough one as he steps into the Octagon with England's own Michael Bisping. Akiyama transition to Jackson's should help him improve on his stand up, as Bisping has the abilities to stand and bang. 12 of his 19 wins have come via knockout. "Sexyama" has exceptional Judo skills as seven of his 13 wins have come from submission. Both fighters are trying to move up the ranks as notable middleweight fighters looking for top contendership. This match could help Akiyama make his way to the match with Wanderlei Silva that was taken from him. With Coach Greg Jackson and Coach Winklejohn on his side, Akiyama could very well improve as a fighter and maybe one day hold the UFC middleweight belt.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:35 pm

Edgar would own him. Florian made him look truly awful by using movement and fast strikes. Edgar moves far quicker and mixes his strikes better than KenFlo.

I think Gomi hits harder than BJ but i don't think he's as good a striker. BJ battered him when they fought.

Gomi should look for a rematch with Florian or perhaps a scrap with Guida.

If Aldo wants to test himself at 155, Gomi would be the perfect first opponent.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:thought i may as well post this here:

Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-2-2) has taken a major step in his UFC career and made the move to New Mexico's own Jackson's Jiu Jitsu to help prepare for UFC 120. He will be headlining the card on October 16 at the O2 Arena in London against Michael Bisping (19-3-0). Sources say that Akiyama has just started his training and that the move to Albuquerque is a permanent one.
    Akiyama's move is a surprising one, as he is very vocal in his love for his home country of Japan. As a Japanese native, he prides himself on being the best there is in representing his homeland. This became very apparent at UFC 116, when his original opponent Wanderlei Silva had to drop the match due to injury. UFC vet Chris Leben stepped up to take the fight on short notice and Akiyama felt he should have had a tougher, more well known opponent. Silva is well known in Japan for his former PRIDE days. Leben ended up winning the match by triangle choke.
    Akiyama's next match up will be a tough one as he steps into the Octagon with England's own Michael Bisping. Akiyama transition to Jackson's should help him improve on his stand up, as Bisping has the abilities to stand and bang. 12 of his 19 wins have come via knockout. "Sexyama" has exceptional Judo skills as seven of his 13 wins have come from submission. Both fighters are trying to move up the ranks as notable middleweight fighters looking for top contendership. This match could help Akiyama make his way to the match with Wanderlei Silva that was taken from him. With Coach Greg Jackson and Coach Winklejohn on his side, Akiyama could very well improve as a fighter and maybe one day hold the UFC middleweight belt.

Posting via his Twitter page, Bisping said:

“great days training finished, akiyamas at jacksons mma, I guess hes gonna try and hug me to death then.”
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:52 am

I think if Gomi connects clean, he can knock out any lightweight out there. And it's not like BJ didn't hit Edgar, even in their second fight. I'd love to see it if Gomi can get another good win or two. The bigger problem for Gomi is seeing if he can stop Edgar just taking him down. Gomi's grappling has somehow regressed, and as an MMA fighter he suffers from not having a secondary threat in his game beyond his brutal punching power. He used to be great at timing takedowns under his opponents punches and working ground and pound, I'd love if he could bring some of that back into play.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:57 am

BJ has the best TD defence in the sport and he couldn't stop Edgar taking him down, I don't fancy Gomi's chances.

We're getting ahead of ourselves though. Gomi needs at least 2 more big wins before he'll get a title shot, and Edgar has to face Maynard next. Gomi and Edgar could meet in the fight after their next ones, but it won't be for the title.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 8:59 pm