THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
redmeanie77
Anfields5thKing
the_king
Moose Stuff For Money...
8 posters

Diego Sanchez to Return to Welterweight

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Diego Sanchez to Return to Welterweight Empty Diego Sanchez to Return to Welterweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:30 pm

Three fights -- two of which received Fight of the Night honors and the other a championship bout -- later, Diego Sanchez's experiment at lightweight is apparently over.

Sanchez revealed the move late Monday to fans on his Twitter account and also suggested rematches against two American Kickboxing Academy opponents whom he suffered losses to in 2007.

"Yes I'm going back to welterweight," Sanchez wrote. "I'm loving my new diet. I want [Josh Koscheck] or [Jon] Fitch but any top guy will do. Just want to give you fans the best fight."

Sanchez (21-3) entered the UFC in 2005, winning the first Ultimate Fighter competition as a middleweight. By his next fight, Sanchez moved down to his natural weight class at welterweight. He went on a tear in his next five fights before suffering back-to-back losses to Koscheck and Fitch.

Sanchez would win two more at 170 and then in 2009, believing he should make the cut while his then-27-year-old body can still handle it, dropped to lightweight. He headlined two Spike TV cards and defeated contenders Joe Stevenson and Clay Guida to earn himself a shot last month against BJ Penn for the lightweight title. However, he would suffer his most definitive loss of his career against the dominant lightweight champ.

As for another possible return opponent, Sanchez publicly asked another lightweight who recently announced his intention to jump to welterweight.

"I agree you got robbed," Sanchez wrote to Nate Diaz. "I hear you're going up to 170 too. I would love to welcome you to welterweight. Let's make it happen."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2010/01/19/diego-sanchez-to-return-to-welterweight/
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Diego Sanchez to Return to Welterweight Empty Re: Diego Sanchez to Return to Welterweight

Post  the_king Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:13 pm

is it just me or does he move weight when he loses?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Diego Sanchez to Return to Welterweight Empty Re: Diego Sanchez to Return to Welterweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Sanchez won't win a title in the UFC. I thought he was the man to beat BJ at LW, he failed miserably. There's 4 guys at WW that will beat him every time, GSP, Alves, Kos, Fitch.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Usually after an ass kicking you move down not up.......

How funny would it be if BJ followed him there , lol. I think Diego could become champ of 155 lbs, if BJ vacated and moved full time to WW.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Sanchez won't win a title in the UFC. I thought he was the man to beat BJ at LW, he failed miserably. There's 4 guys at WW that will beat him every time, GSP, Alves, Kos, Fitch.

and hardy and semtex
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:37 pm

He'd beat both Hardy and Semtex.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:49 pm

I like Sanchez, and I thought that he would be the man to dethrone BJ, but moving to 170lbs will not get him anywhere nearer a title. I agree with Anfield, to a point, Fitch, GSP and Alves are all too good for him, I'd give him a chance against Kos though. Kos doesn't really fight with his head, and for that reason alone, I would give any decent fighter a realistic chance against him.

I sort of feel for a lot of fighters at 155 and 170. In GSP and BJ, UFC has two guys that have been absolutely dominant, and unless either retire, or move weight class, will be for some time. It must be hard, knowing that no matter how good your game is, it's still not going to be quite enough.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 pm

difference between kos and sanchez though is kos sometimes gets a gameplan to fight careless and wins and sanchez gets drawn into fighting careless.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:07 pm

Sanchez is 1-1 with Koscheck, and lost SD to Fitch. So he is at their level.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 pm

I just think that, since their last fight, Sanchez has become a different fighter, whilst Kos has shown a tendency to get involved in brawls a little too much. Admittedly, he has only lost to GSP, Alves and Thiago. Maybe it's a bit of bias on my part, I just think that Diego would have at least a chance, whereas against GSP, Alves and Fitch, he'd have no chance at all.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:13 am

Sanchez is a very good fighter but unless GSP moves up this isn't a good division for him. Lets look at the opponents:

GSP: Terrible match-up for him, GSP is bigger, stronger, quicker, has better wrestling and has better standup. It would be worse than GSP vs BJ II.

Alves:This is an awful matchup for Sanchez, I don't think he has the wrestling to take Alves down. Hughes and Kos couldn't take Alves down and Sanchez does not have there wrestling skills. On the feet he is fucked.

Kos & Fitch: I think he has a chance to beat both but he wouldn't be favourite. I wouldn't have Kos and Fitch 100 per cent to win the fight, he has a better ground game than both and he is very dangerous off his back with elbows. Standing up, niether can dominate him like BJ did.

He needs to hope Penn doesn't move up as well because that would be a disaster. Other than that I think he beats every other WW in the UFC and the majority of the one's out as well. He would beat Swick, Hardy, Semtex, Thiago and Rumble pretty easily I think. Outside the UFC I think Shields would beat him but im not sure who else. Possibly Diaz but I wouldn't be so confident.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:34 am

Fitch will just dryhump Sanchez to death if they fight again. And Kos would beat him again IMO. I thought Kos won their first fight, and that was Kos who was just a wrestler and nothing more. I thought he won the first fight almost as clearly as he won the second fight.

I would give Diego slightly more chance against Fitch than against Kos but IMO 9 times out of ten he loses to Kos, 8 times out of ten he loses to Fitch.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 am

Really that bad? Second fight with Kos he had a stalph infection, it wasn't because Kos was better than him. Kos is much improved but he is still only a wrestler against Sanchez, he isn't going to outstrike him for 3 rounds. Sanchez has a much better ground game. I think Sanchez won the first because he did a lot more damage and was always working, Kos wasn't doing anything. Kos won the second, Diego won round 1 and 3. Did you see how Kos looked after the fight?

Fitch is a little tougher because he has a good ground game, Sanchez still has a better ground game but Fitch is closer than Kos. Standing up, Fitch doesn't have much but niether does Sanchez. Wrestling is all Fitch. I think its underating Sanchez a lot to say he would have no chance.

Id like to see Sanchez fight Condit or Ellenberger first, both those are good tests.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:12 pm

I'm not under-estimating Diego at all. I think he's a great fighter. but IMO he's not one of the top 6 WW's in the world. I think the top 4 guys in the UFC would beat him, as well as Shields and Diaz.

I actually give Nate Diaz a decent chance against him to be honest.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:16 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:I'm not under-estimating Diego at all. I think he's a great fighter. but IMO he's not one of the top 6 WW's in the world. I think the top 4 guys in the UFC would beat him, as well as Shields and Diaz.

I actually give Nate Diaz a decent chance against him to be honest.

Me too mate, as if it isnt obvious by the insanley high ranking ive given Diaz! But I would like to see Kos vs Sanchez again or Alves vs Sanchez... HEll even Saunders or Swick vs Sahncez. He was cutting a lot of make 155lbs and might have more power and more in the tank at 170lbs. I think there are better fights for him at Ww so I hope the move back to Welter stays.

Nate Diaz is already fighting someone so I wonder who his 1st opponent will be?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:45 pm

Nate Diaz is fighting Markham next, not sure at what even though.

I don't think he has a very good chance against Sanchez though. Nate Diaz is like the Nick Diaz Sanchez fought, I think its an easy UD for Sanchez. Out of the top 6 WW in the world id probably give him the best chance against Nick Diaz because he can take him down. The others are all much better wrestlers, Diaz is not a wrestler and I think Sanchez has enough on the ground to avoid his subs and GnP him in route to a decision victory.

Sanchez vs the winner of Swick/Thiago could be a very good and realistic fight. Kos is out of the equation because he is fighting Semtex, not sure what Fitch has going on, oh ye he is fighting Alves so not him. Kampmann could be another option and possibly Matt Hughes and Stungun.

Diaz should defeat Markham and then will need a step again.

Id like to see him against one of:

Condit- Intresting fight, it would be a grappling contest. Condit might have a slight edge.

Ellenberger- I think Ellenberger would KO him.

Hathaway- Good fight as well between two young prospects.

Story-See above

TJ Grant-See above

Lythle/Foster- Good tests, Lythle is a big test, experienced, Ko power, good standup, good subs, never been finished other than by cut. Foster is a tough guy as well.

He isn't quite top 10 at WW right now and so he needs to work his way up like those guys.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:15 pm

I think the Nick Diaz that fought Shamrock and Smith would give Diego a beating to be honest.

I think Nate's length and bigger frame will cause Sanchez problems when they fight. Nate has great submissions and Diego has a habit of leaving himself open to submissions on the ground. I think Diego will beat him but Nate would have a better chance than most.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Ye fair enough, his reach does cause problems for fighters but he doesn't throw enough knees. He doesn't have much power in those hands. Diaz lost to Guida and Daddy, who lost to Sanchez, I know MMA doesn't work like that but I think Sanchez is a better version of Daddy.

Nick Diaz now is much better than when Sanchez first fought him but I don't know. I would be more confident of the other 5 beating Sanchez than Diaz because of styles. GSP, Kos, Fitch and Shields are all better wrestlers and Alves is just a terrible matchup for him. Diaz has better standup, Sanchez has better wrestling and there BJJ is equal. Sanchez has better conditioing and pace.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:27 pm

I'd have liked to have seen Florian rematch Diego Sanchez, Florian says it might still happen at a catchweight though...

http://www.cagepotato.com/exclusive-kenny-florian-talks-takanori-gomi-diego-sanchez-and-more
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:03 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Ye fair enough, his reach does cause problems for fighters but he doesn't throw enough knees. He doesn't have much power in those hands. Diaz lost to Guida and Daddy, who lost to Sanchez, I know MMA doesn't work like that but I think Sanchez is a better version of Daddy.

Nick Diaz now is much better than when Sanchez first fought him but I don't know. I would be more confident of the other 5 beating Sanchez than Diaz because of styles. GSP, Kos, Fitch and Shields are all better wrestlers and Alves is just a terrible matchup for him. Diaz has better standup, Sanchez has better wrestling and there BJJ is equal. Sanchez has better conditioing and pace.

I think Nate's biggest problem has been the damage he's been doing to himself cutting so much weight. Kenny Florian said he heard that Nate has walked around at 180-190. I've met both Diaz brothers and i think Nate has the bigger frame. I think he could build himself up to being a decent size MW. He never looks like he has lots of energy when he steps into a fight. I think he's been taking too much out of himself cutting weight.

I think Karo Parisyan at his best would beat Diego too. I thought he beat him the first time around and he had barely trained for that fight.

Karo's got to get his head straight though.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:45 pm

I think Nate's biggest problem has been the damage he's been doing to himself cutting so much weight. Kenny Florian said he heard that Nate has walked around at 180-190. I've met both Diaz brothers and i think Nate has the bigger frame. I think he could build himself up to being a decent size MW. He never looks like he has lots of energy when he steps into a fight. I think he's been taking too much out of himself cutting weight.

I think Karo Parisyan at his best would beat Diego too. I thought he beat him the first time around and he had barely trained for that fight.

Karo's got to get his head straight though.

Ye I heard it on ESPN as well. Thats insane seriously. GSP cuts from 190 nowadays, I did not think he would be even close to that number. Tibau, who is probably the biggest LW in MMA only cuts from 183-185. If it is true, that can not be good for him in his fights, 170 is a much better weight division for him. He is one of those guys who are freakishly tall for the division like Struve and Grove so thats why he has so much weight on him. Considering he is only 23, he might very well end up as a MW but he would be quite small. Imagine him vs Sonnen/Maurquardt.

There first fight was really close but again, id give it to Sanchez based on damage factor. He has some brutal knees. Karo has to sort his life out, I think he lost to Stun-gun, got a Bullshit decision and still fucked that up because of the pain killers. I really hope he gets the help he needs because he has so much talent.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 7:40 pm