THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
Sheldan
Mryzyz
Cowboys From Hell
JStans1985
Once Mohawked Pete
superman_punch
The_Axe_Emperor
ryu_ekbjj
12 posters

What happens to the UFC welterweight division...?

ryu_ekbjj
    ryu_ekbjj
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

What happens to the UFC welterweight division...? Empty What happens to the UFC welterweight division...?

Post  ryu_ekbjj Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:27 pm

If its true and GSP stays at 185lbs ( http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/300527/Dana-White-GSP-intends-to-fight-Anderson-Silva-and-stay-at-185/ ), what will become of the 170lb title?

Theres Fitch vs Penn at the end of the month and maybe if Kampmann beats Diego Sanchez convincingly he could get the winner in a title match towards the end of the year.

Obviously this all banks on St.Pierre beating Jake Shields, but who do you think will contend for the vacant belt?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

What happens to the UFC welterweight division...? Empty Re: What happens to the UFC welterweight division...?

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:28 pm

No-one, GSP won't move up.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

What happens to the UFC welterweight division...? Empty Re: What happens to the UFC welterweight division...?

Post  superman_punch Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:04 pm

If he does move up then I'd expect fitch or shields to take over
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Agree with Axe on this I'm affraid.

As much as I would like to see GSP vs Silva in a 'Superfight', just cannot see it happening.
    JStans1985
    JStans1985
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  JStans1985 Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:10 pm

I think it's likely that GSP can beat Shields, but I doubt he'll move up to MW, IMO Silva will be too big for him (much like GSP was too big for BJ).

If he does move up however permanently, then theres a few fighters that could be in the mix:

1. Koscheck - last no.1 contender
    2. Shields - the current no.1 contender
    3. Winner of Kampmann/Sanchez
    4. Winner of Fitch/Penn

UFC may set up one of those "mini-tournaments" much like the Strikeforce Heavyweight tournament to determine who takes the title.

Again though, I don't really see it happening (although I'd like to). GSP is a dominant force at 170 and one of the p4p best at 170, it would take a lot for him to maintain his dominance in a higher weight class
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:15 pm

I believe GSP won't move up too, I don't see this "Super-fight" happening at 185 why should GSP jump up in weight and Anderson remain at 185 and have a huge advantage maybe a catch-weight 177.5 Although I don't like the Idea of them (Thanks Honest Bob) Anyway K-1 Shields is gonna throw a spanner in the works when he KO's GSP & Silva in that order. Cool

I seriously believe they will do a pair of rematches Sonnen vs Silva II and probably Fitch vs GSP II If Fitch dominates BJ. Sad
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:27 pm

This is why GSP moving up would be such a good thing.

Currently, there is no real intrigue in the Welterweight title picture. The big fights don't seem quite so big with the air of 'whoever wins, they'll just lose to GSP'
    Of course the fights can be enjoyed in isolation, but there isn't the same excitement that there is in say. Lightweight and Light Heavyweight in particular.

It would also inject some allure into the Middleweight division.
    JStans1985
    JStans1985
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  JStans1985 Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:28 pm

Cowboy, I think you may be right about re-matches. Fitch I think deserves one, but I really hope we don't see Sonnen against Silva again, the only reason being is that if it's true that Anderson is going to leave MMA soon i'd rather see him move up to LHW and face top competition there.

Also, would Sonnen be as dominant without the use of steroids?
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:34 pm

'Also, would Sonnen be as dominant without the use of steroids?'

Oh for Gods' sake.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:36 pm

JStans1985 wrote:IMO Silva will be too big for him (much like GSP was too big for BJ).

Difference being, GSP is a fighter that uses his size and strength as an advantage, like he did against BJ, whereas Anderson Silva isn't that sort of fighter.
    JStans1985
    JStans1985
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  JStans1985 Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Axe, surely it would still play a part as GSP wouldn't have the size and strength advantage?

Mryzyz, I think it's a fair question about Sonnen

By the way, how do you do that thing where you reference my post?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:43 pm

JStans1985 wrote:Cowboy, I think you may be right about re-matches. Fitch I think deserves one, but I really hope we don't see Sonnen against Silva again, the only reason being is that if it's true that Anderson is going to leave MMA soon I'd rather see him move up to LHW and face top competition there.

Also, would Sonnen be as dominant without the use of steroids?

Yeah I am no Fitch fan but he certainly is deserving I can understand why he was shelved due to not wanting to fight Kos If he had beat GSP but beating Penn as well as Alves and Pierce is certainly worthy.

I honestly think Chael would do the same sans "enhancements" Chael is a fantastic Wrestler roids can not make you a great Wrestler or improve his cardio Chael has always had great cardio.

Chael's problem over the years has always been his concentration.
    JStans1985
    JStans1985
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  JStans1985 Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm certainly not doubting his wrestling for one second, the way he dominated Silva was immense and the same in many of his previous fights.
    Steroids are illegal for a reason though and this will have helped him in his training camp, so he may not be quite as dominant without them.

Regardless of that, i'd still rather see Silva face new competition at LHW rather than have any re-matches at MW
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:52 pm

JStans1985 wrote:Axe, surely it would still play a part as GSP wouldn't have the size and strength advantage?

Mryzyz, I think it's a fair question about Sonnen

By the way, how do you do that thing where you reference my post?

Thing is, i think he would have the strength advantage.

And to reference someones post, just click the "quote" button on the bottom right of their comment.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:19 pm

JStans, please explain how Sonnen derived a competitive advantage from his testosterone replacement therapy.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:52 pm

I have to agree with Mryzyz, what Sonnen got busted for wouldn't have give him any sort of advantage. The advantage he had is that Silva had a broken rib, if a rematch was to happen then I can't see anything other than a Silva victory.

As for the original post about the welterweight title, if GSP was to permanantly move up (which I don't think he will) i'd say either Koscheck or Shields would become the top dog at Welterweight. I don't mention Fitch because he has stated time and time again he has no desire to fight Koscheck, and would even move up to Middleweight to avoid fighting him. So unless Fitch gets the first shot at a vacant belt (which judging by his recent wins you would imagine he would) then I think he'll be moving up in weight too.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:07 pm

yeah i dont think gsp will move up, not on a perminent basis.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:14 pm

How can GSP be expected to move up and immediately face silva at silva's natural weight. Silva has had several fights at 205 when he considered moving up, he wasn't given a LHW title shot straight away.

I think GSP is risking a lot going straight up against Anderson and for him to put that weight on naturally and effectively for his game plan then it would take about 9 months and Dana is unwilling to wait that long.

For the superfight to be fair then in my opinion it has to be a catchweight bout
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:18 pm

superman_punch wrote:How can GSP be expected to move up and immediately face silva at silva's natural weight. Silva has had several fights at 205 when he considered moving up, he wasn't given a LHW title shot straight away.

I think GSP is risking a lot going straight up against Anderson and for him to put that weight on naturally and effectively for his game plan then it would take about 9 months and Dana is unwilling to wait that long.

For the superfight to be fair then in my opinion it has to be a catchweight bout

maybe its just a super fight and no title will be on the line.
    JStans1985
    JStans1985
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  JStans1985 Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 pm

Mryzyz wrote:JStans, please explain how Sonnen derived a competitive advantage from his testosterone replacement therapy.

OK Mryzyz, firstly, you're mis-quoting me. I simply asked the question of whether or not Sonnen would be as dominant and did not state that because of his elevated testosterone levels that he had a competitive advantage.

However, to answer your question, men with elevated testosterone levels are generally a lot healthier and in better shape, and it can help build/repair the muscles, therefore in his camp this could have helped him to train harder/longer and recover from his training faster. Perhaps it didn't work out this way in his case, but it could have. I was simply asking the question to gain others views
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:18 pm

Sonnen did not have above average testosterone levels leading up to or during his fight with Silva.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 am

Fitch I think will definitley move up to MW if GSP beats him and decides to stay at WW. I think Fitch could actually be very successful at MW. He's always going to struggle against GSP because of the massive athletic difference between the two. There's not many at MW like that.

The problem with GSP moving up to MW is the size difference. GSP is a pretty big WW he's nowhere near the biggest. There are several fighters at WW who could dwarf him. If he added too much muscle, he could lose one of his biggest weapons, which is his speed. The difference between WW and MW is a pretty big one.

It's not even Silva who is the main problem. Let's say he beats Silva, wins the MW title and stays there. He'll then have to face who could be decent sized LHW's like Okami and Sonnen. IMO if he was the same size as those two, he could beat them quite comfortably but with such a size disadvantage it becomes a problem.

Plus Rashad Evans could move down to MW if Jones wins the LHW title and I'm not sure they'll fight each other. Even if they did, the size difference would be laughable. Both would want the title.

I think a super fight may happen, but I doubt GSP moves to MW full time. I think there's a good chance of Fitch and SHields moving up though if (when Razz) they lose to GSP.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:11 am

Gsp will move up and fight silva to much pressure on him not 2

Fitch will take title

Mryzyz do you not think anyone takes gear,
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:17 am

'Mryzyz do you not think anyone takes gear,'

What happens to the UFC welterweight division...? Redherring
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 am

All I'm saying is you don't seem to accept reem has geared up or sonnen just curious to see if you think roids are used

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:51 pm