THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Cowboys From Hell
sunthunder
6 posters

Welterweight devision after last night, what did you think of the fights?

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Welterweight devision after last night, what did you think of the fights? Empty Welterweight devision after last night, what did you think of the fights?

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:41 pm

GSP looked unbelievable. I dont like watching him he is a far too safe fighter. It was far from the lay and pray I expected but Nick proved his mentality in the ring or fight IQ is probabally his lowest point.

Skill wise if he had of got his head in the right place in the standing portion he should have found his range and been far more active and not walking about upset about getting held down for a few rounds.

Hendricks sure is the man to beat GSP. Like Sonnens 1st fight with Anderson sometimes being frontfooted relentlessly agressive stiffels the other guys tallents and flair. I could see a front footed attack throwing GSPs calm paced standup out the window. A short compact guy throwing bombs is the last time we saw GSP beat. I look forward to it but hope GSP doesnt decide to take some time off as he was heard talking about.

Ellengerger and Maia for me are a clear number 2 and 3 contender behind Hendricks so lets see them fight.

On the next level Story is right up there again. A fight with Safadine would be great. Or a Kampmann rematch. Love to see either.

T.Wood vs Shields is a meaningfull fight in a stacked devision but in not a big fan of their.

Mein and Macdonald is bound to happen some time at their age.

Lawler vs Kim would makde sence too but Cote vs Lawler would be great craic to watch!

NICK DIAZ NEEDS TO FIGHT THIAGO ALVES!

GSP is a busy guy. I hope he defends that title ASAP and doesnt take time off. He is close in terms of legacy, he has far more to gain fighting guys at 170lbs than moving.

sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Welterweight devision after last night, what did you think of the fights? Empty Re: Welterweight devision after last night, what did you think of the fights?

Post  sunthunder Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Pretty expected outcome for the GSP-Diaz fight. Diaz just can't handle it when he isn't engaged on his terms, and he was always going to struggle against a fighter like GSP who could take him down at pretty much any time he wanted. GSP looked great.

I actually think Condit beats Hendricks over five rounds. Hendricks had to push a relentless pace to keep Condit on the back foot over the first two rounds, and I don't think Hendricks could maintain that as Condit maintains the level of pressure and aggression he brings. If Hendricks had to go five rounds, he'd have to be a lot more measured with his striking, which would have allowed Condit a lot more initial success, given that Hendricks would have to stay on the outside more.

Hendricks could beat GSP if he can land the right shot in the first two rounds. I think if it goes beyond that GSP wins, or even finishes him in the later rounds.

Hendricks has devastating power but his method of delivery is fairly one dimensional, it's all in his explosive charging style, he doesn't really make angles or cut the cage off that well, but his speed combined with the fact he's a southpaw with great wrestling lets him close the distance incredibly quickly.

Unfortunately, when he fights GSP I think that strategy could lead him straight into a power double leg. And I do think GSP can do that to him, we're forever hearing about a fighter who can come along and stop GSP's shot but it's yet to happen, and I'm not convinced Hendricks is that guy.

Hendricks best bet might be to come forward behind a jab/lead hook and try to catch him with his uppercut as GSP changes levels. Most of the times Hendricks hurts guys badly it comes from him rushing them and then catching them with his left straight as they lean straight back but fail to get clear in time, I can't see GSP being as likely to fall into that trap.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Welterweight devision after last night, what did you think of the fights? Empty Re: Welterweight devision after last night, what did you think of the fights?

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:55 pm

Honestly lads after last night I can't see how Hendricks beats GSP although he certainly beat Condit I thought he looked far too predictable to cause GSP any problems and in a 5 Round fight I can only see one out come GSP with his hand raised.

The division is certainly hot right now well when has WW not been red hot, Ellenberger looked fantastic as did Story and Mein on the prelims. I was really excited for Mein's debut but could not believe he beat Dan Miller up like the way he did and he was very calm and cerebral in the way he finished Dan.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:11 pm

I would have liked to have seen another two rounds of hendricks vs condit - I though the exact same thing on Sunday morning - Might be because Condit knew he had to do something in the 3rd that he came on so strong but I think Hendrick might start to struggle in rounds 4 and 5 with his cardio and I could see condit finishing it late on.

Not completely sold on Hendricks - he has a big dig on him but I thought he lost to Koscheck and GSP will be too mich for him IMO.

Thought GSP although impressive has seemed to gas a little in the last two fights since he came back - has he added muscle mass to strengthen and support his knee ?cud just be a bit of cage rust but i dont remember him ever showing any signs of slowing down before the injury and lay off,. seems to be growing a chuck liddell belly too,

GSP vs hendricks

Ellenburger vs Maia

Condit vs Mcdonald 2

Story Vs Sanchez

Cote vs lawler

Gomi vs Mein

The WW division is really strong - the LHW division is the polar opposite at the moment

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:06 pm

Thought it was one of the worst performances I've seen from GSP. Diaz just didn't turn up at all.

Hendricks - GSP will be so much more entertaining. If that left hand lands, night night Georges.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah GSP was bigger than usual allright few people have said this now maby he is planning a move to 185 or wanting to bulk up for an Anderson super fight.

It probabally didnt help his cardio because him gassing is not the norm in his fights.

And it wasnt a fight were Nick pushed the pace, He stood acting like a frustrated half wit insted of engaging, Nick really didnt show up as Anfield said.

He is still top 10 in the devision and I hope he sticks round there are fighters left who would engage him in the type of fight he wants. UFC have no issues putting Wand in with only Bangers, lets see Diaz get the same treatment insted of retiring.

I still think he could beat GSP, that TDD would have been great if he actually did much standing insted of casually walking about not engaging. Wonder if not smoking in the weeks coming up to the fight means his head isnt in the game? He has one of the lowest "fight IQ's" in the sport.

Im not totally sold on Hendricks either lads but GSP isnt a guy who likes to get in toe to toe firefights and thats what Hendricks will try and force from the get go. I think Maia might be a bigger challenge because he is perhaps the only guy with good enough BJJ to stop GSP's wrestling neutralising it.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 pm

Would Maia be able to close the distance to get the fight to the ground against GSP?

Think it would end up a lot like the GSP vs Kosheck fight. I think GSP wud jab and jog his way to a UD.

Diaz has got the tools physically to keep the fight standing with GSP and beat him but he has no mental strength at all. GSP gassed after the third and Nick was stuffing the takedowns - was surprised to see GSP in the clinch so much in the last two rounds.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:19 pm

That was one of the easiest shut outs for GSP since he's been the champ,and there should be no way in the world Diaz deserves a rematch.

GSP completely dominated the fight in every aspect of the game,be it mentally or just through plain hard work.
    Not only did GSP dominate on the ground,he threw and landed twice as many strikes as Diaz in every single round.

It's easy to see why Diaz has avoided wrestlers like the plague for the last 7 years,maybe he's not a stupid as he comes across.

Even in the post fight interview,after the first question,he instantly distanced himself from fights with Hendricks and Ellenberger.

I'd give him Koscheck next.

I'm looking forward to Hendricks - GSP.

Hendricks has some serious tools to be a legit test for GSP.

He's the best wrestler GSP has faced and he hits like a truck,harder than Matt serra anyway.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Payne a bit harsh to say he avoided wrestlers based on that, he stuffed a few of GSP's TDs and was locked up in clinches holding his own. I dont think his wrestling defence is a weak point. His head just goes out the window in fights he isnt getting his own way.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Diaz did nothing in that fight,except not to get as easily controlled in the later rds when GSP started to tire.

he still got put on his back and controlled in all 5 rds and still ate twice as many punches than what he threw in all 5 rds.

the fight metric numbers are as one sided as you'll get in a 5 rd title fight.

All Diaz does is bitch about wrestlers,he has for years.

He did fight Mach,but there were loads of wrestlers outside of the UFC he could of fought,but instead of fighting the likes of Ellenberger,Story,Healy,Taylor,woodley,Hieron and mayhem,he went for little guys that would stand with him and make him look good.

Sure some fights can't be made due to contracts,differant orgs and all that,but Hieron and Woodley I remember publicly calling him out,then obviously there was mayhem as well,but he wanted nothing to do with any of them.

If GSP wasn't the champ,he would of had nothing to do with that fight either.

When he actually starts fighting some top wrestlers and actually beats a guy with solid wrestling,then I'll start to change my opinion.

but I don't think he will,that's why i think he dismissed fighting Ellenberger and Hendricks straight away.

What was it,I've done everything in the sport,i don't want to fight,err err hendricks,he is to new to the sport and err err,well,err ellenberger ,well yeah he's been around a while.(what does that even mean ?)

yet after that he say's he'd fight Condit again ?

oh and GSP and Anderson,but shit who wouldn't want to earn those kind of paydays.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:33 am

Ill Always be a Diaz fan because he hates the points fighting side of MMA. GSP holding "Dominant positions" which are nothing better than a stalemate frustrate him, and its understandable. He would be happy in OneFC or somewhere being their big star fighting Pride rules. Id say that stuffing some of GSP's takedowns, infact any of them shows he could hang with lesser MMA wrestlers.

Having said that he just seems like someone who has fallen out of love with the sport. I wouldnt be shocked if he did retire but from a fans point of view I think he should fight on, Im not saying he will be champ without some big changes but Maia, Ellenberger or Rory MacDonald would all be great fights.

Story is making noise about a rematch with Ellenberger.

Really I want Diaz to fight Alves, its a fight ive always wanted for years. Its a way to make Alves a big contender again if he wins and a way to keep Nick happy. Also Id love to see him try and intimate Alves!! Its the fight at Ww I most want to see right now.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:52 am

Kampmann would be 2nd Choice for Diaz, suppose he is closer ranked and would fight the type of fight Diaz wants.

Diaz said he doesnt want to fight young up and comers. Problem is there arent many old timers who mean much in the devision, Lawler rematch might be something he would do.

Before the GSP fight he said he would fight at Mw and Lw as well for the fights.

Wanderlei at 185? Lombard or Bisping maby?

Wonder if it would be hard making 155 now? Diego Sanchez at catchweight? He is officially coming off a "Win" maby Gomi rematch at 155 if he could make weight again.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:27 pm

I can't see him ever making 155 again,he's become far to big for that.

I love watching Diaz fight,it's the only thing I like about the guy.

Though he hasn't looked good in his last two,when the competition has stepped up.

There are loads of fun stand up battles I'd like to see him in,Siyar would be good,like you say Alves,kampmann,Lawlor rematch,and Saffiedene would all be good.

If he didn't think so many fighters are all of a sudden beneath him,I'd enjoy him still putting on shows against guys of the standard of Daley,Noons,Cyborg,like Hardy,Noke,Sadollah,Akiyama,Baczynski,Brown etc.

Eric Silva or Maia would be better all rounded challengers for him,but if he wants to be considered one of the best WW's in the world,for me he has to fight and prove he can hang with the guys that are dominating most of the top 10 positions at WW,the wrestlers.

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Yeah he does look to have packed on the muscle since his 155 days, looks a good bit heavier set than Nate and I dont think he will entertain a 185lbs fight. If he made a fuss about Mayhems weight I dont know if he will be dieing to fight an 85er. Cung Le maby? That would be a great match and Cung might have been a Ww if he started as a young man.

Its a pitty he will view those fights as beneth him, for a guy with back to back losses he should be happy with a step down for now I like all those fights, Jordan Mein would make a cracking opponent too. Ive a feeling he will retire though, his heart doesnt seem in it.

At 29 he talks like he is from Liddell's generation or something, Hendricks is his age, he sounds like he is stepping asside for the young guys and going after Legends fights. I think after beating BJ Penn he thinks himself deserving of fights with other greats. Lets hope Cesar gracie sets his expectations for his next fight if he fights on.

Cung Le/Wanderlei Silva if he goes to 185lbs
    Alves/Kampmann if he stays at 170lbs
    Maby a catchweight with Sherk, I heard he was suppose to come back and it would be a big name from his generation he could. I could see Diaz stripping back a wee bit and making 160.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm