The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

The sexy one is making the move to Welterweight

payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The sexy one is making the move to Welterweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:36 pm

After three consecutive losses as a middleweight, Japanese UFC judoka Yoshihiro Akiyama is finally moving to welterweight.

Akiyama, who is 1-3 in the UFC and 14-4 with two no contests overall, considered retirement after getting knocked out by Vitor Belfort last month, but now instead intends to drop down 15 lbs and ideally seek the guidance of divisional king Georges St. Pierre.

Speaking to Japanese outlet Sponichi, the 2006 K-1 Heros Light Heavyweight GP champ also stated the would like to debut as a welterweight at the UFC's return to Japan in February 2012. Before his move to the UFC, Akiyama was the biggest draw in Japan and he would certainly be an asset to any event in the East.

Due to financial problems surrounding a former manager, Akiyama was forced to close his highly regarded Cloud Dojo prior to his meeting with Belfort at UFC 133 and with his move to welterweight, Akiyama stated that he would like to make the move to the champion's gym to become St. Pierre's "apprentice".

The move to welterweight was a long time coming for Akiyama - although he has put on three "fight of the night" performances and was successful in his UFC debut against Alan Belcher, the Japanese fighter was widely considered to be too small to compete in the upper echelons at middleweight in Western promotions.
    http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/09/03/yoshihiro-akiyama-to-drop-to-welterweight-wants-to-train-with-g/

This is a great move for him,and I think he could make a great addition to the WW division,I just hope at his age,it doesn't take too much out of him.
    I wish he had made the decision to drop to WW coming into the UFC.

Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Re: The sexy one is making the move to Welterweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:33 pm

About time!
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:55 pm

Now all he needs to do is remember his judo
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:32 am

Needs to start at the bottom to work his way up, a win in his next fight is a must.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 am

Rumble vs Akiyama?
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:01 am

It wouldn't shock me if we see them make Hardy VS Akiyama with the loser being cut. Even though it would be a great fight, it would be poor matchmaking in my opinion, I don't know why but UFC seem to like making fights where both guys are coming off several losses.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:05 am

It's about time as many have said, I actually think he could do well at WW maybe not as Champion but at least give most in the Top 10 a run for there money.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:05 pm

Mryzyz wrote:Now all he needs to do is remember his judo

Well said, you wouldnt even know he was a Judoka, more than any other martial art I think its wasted in MMA. When I think of a Judoka in MMA I think of Crazy Karo Parysian throws, it baffles me why more Judokas arent even attempting Judo throws in fights.

People forget he was winning Banging it out with Leben which Wanderlei was a million miles off doing so his ability to brawl should make him one of the better strikers at Ww.

He just needs to start working his takedowns and mix in his groundgame because at 5"10 with a 75 reach he is about average size now in his weight devision. With his Brawlin and level of Judo you think he could be a contender.

Hardy is a great Idea for a fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:19 pm