THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
The_Axe_Emperor
rudeboyben84
6 posters

Diego Sanchez back to 155

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Diego Sanchez back to 155 Empty Diego Sanchez back to 155

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:31 pm

“Greg had told me that the door was always open and they always treated me like a family member, with open arms. And I was just being stubborn. I wanted to try to do a camp myself, but I was still in the process of moving. I went to do my camp in New Mexico (for the Hathaway fight) because I felt I needed to do that, but I still had my place in San Diego, still had ties to my previous team, and I wanted to do it right when I made my return to Jackson’s. Right now, everything’s perfect.”

“Just for the record, I do plan on dropping back to 155 after this fight. Me and Greg (Jackson) and the team are just gonna work together and see what (UFC matchmaker) Joe (Silva) can get lined up for me. And like I said, my whole mindset is to earn the victory and that’s it.”

“I think it’s gonna depend on the fight. For now I think it’s basically gonna be permanent, but that all depends because I feel like I can fight in both weight classes. There’s 125, 135, 145, 155 – I wish we had a 165 and a 175 (pound division). That would make it a lot easier for me because I could fight 165, but we don’t have that yet and I’ve got to make a decision. So now it’s 170, after this fight I’m gonna get down to 155 again, try to make a title run, and there will be time later down the road where I can make something happen at 170. For right now, I’ve got my mind set on beating Paulo Thiago, but I am looking to the future and seeing my drop back down to 155.”

Sanchez then spoke about the pro’s and con’s of facing the dangerous Brazilian submission expert, someone he feels he’ll be able to outwrestle on the night

“He’s a tough guy. I think his striking’s good, but I don’t think it’s great. I think he kinda got lucky with the Koscheck knockout and I don’t think he’s some flashy standup guy. I see a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu guy; that’s his base, that’s his foundation, and that’s his strength. As far as his wrestling goes, he’s been outwrestled in the past by several guys so I see holes in his game. I think he’s very tough and I think he’s the perfect opponent for me right now in my career.”
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Diego Sanchez back to 155 Empty Re: Diego Sanchez back to 155

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Thiago's striking is very overrated and i agree with Diego that he got lucky with the Koscheck KO. Up until he sparked Kos, Rogan was ripping into his striking saying he has "fundamental flaws" and they were clear for all to see, he just caught him and thats obviously indicative of his power.

He dropped Swick as well but Swick got careless and thought he'd hurt Paulo when he hadn't.

No question about it though his BJJ is top notch and his chokes are what Diego needs to look out for.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:59 pm

if sanchez loses this fight he has lost the last 3, he needs to stick at a weight sutable for him instead of bouncing up and down after a loss.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:02 pm

One things for sure is hes got guts. Moving up in weight and fighting a huge, dangerous, undefeated no name Hathaway, and then after losing that fighting another dangerous fighter in Thiago. Props to the guy but he has his work cut out.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:15 pm

yeah your right i just think he needs to focus on one weight. id love to see him vs guida again.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:16 pm

He's said hes staying at WW hasn't he?
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:21 pm

erm axe did you read this article at all....? tongue

"For right now, I’ve got my mind set on beating Paulo Thiago, but I am looking to the future and seeing my drop back down to 155.”
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm

Diego is a beast at 155 he got beat by the best BJ Penn we have seen in years, Id love to see him make another run at the Lw title, I honestly would back him to beat 90% of the Lw's in the shape he was in there. At Ww im not so sure. P.Thiago is a little over rated but a seriously dangerous Ww.

Win loose or Draw Diego is going back to 155 which is 100% the right thing for his career. He was a title contender there.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Without a doubt Diego is better suited for 155,he was and still can be a serious contender again at LW,but at 170,I don't think he matches up well against hardly any of the top guys at WW.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:08 pm

efils_god wrote:erm axe did you read this article at all....? tongue

"For right now, I’ve got my mind set on beating Paulo Thiago, but I am looking to the future and seeing my drop back down to 155.”

You know what, no i didn't Laughing

My bad, hes much better suited to LW where theres much less Fitch's, Kos' and GSP's that will just take him down and dominate.

I think being with Greg Jackson is excellent as well because there he'll develop great gameplans. He should be easily handling gatekeepers like Guida and Stevenson and Split Decisions aren't always going to go your way.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:55 pm

speaking of stevenson who is he fighting next is it danzig? i cannot remember.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Other than BJ Penn I don't think there's a LW in the world that Sanchez can't beat. I'd back him against Edgar, Maynard and Florian in the UFC and against Aoki, Melendez and Alvarez.

155 is where he belongs.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:Other than BJ Penn I don't think there's a LW in the world that Sanchez can't beat. I'd back him against Edgar, Maynard and Florian in the UFC and against Aoki, Melendez and Alvarez.

155 is where he belongs.

im not maynards biggest fan but i think he is improvin and may take sanchez if they fought soon.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:33 am