THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
pinsman
payneNglory1
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
redmeanie77
Anfields5thKing
sunthunder
Moose Stuff For Money...
rudeboyben84
13 posters

Updated Rankings

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Updated Rankings Empty Updated Rankings

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:14 am

Heavyweight: 206-265Lbs
    1. Fedor Emelianenko
    2. Antonio Nogueira
    3. Brock Lesnar
    4. Frank Mir
    5. Josh Barnett
    6. Junior Dos Santos
    7. Cain Valezques
    8. Shane Carwin
    9. Fabricio Werdum
    10. Alistair Overeem
    Just Missded out, Andrei Arlovski, Brett Rogers, Aleksander Emelianenko, Antonio Silva, Gabriel Gonzaga, Jeff Monson.

Light heavyweight: 186-205lbs
    1. Lyoto Machida
    2. Shogun Rua
    3. Quinton Jackson
    4. Rashad Evans
    5. Gegard Mousasi
    6. Antônio Rogério Nogueira
    7. Forrest Griffin
    8. Thiago Silva
    9. Randy Couture
    10. Rich Franklin
    Just midded out: Jon Jones, Brandon Vera, Renato Sobral, Luiz Cane, Vladimir Matyushenko, Ryan Bader, Ricardo Arona, Mark Coleman.

Middleweight: 171-185lbs
    1. Anderson Silva
    2. Nate Marquadt
    3. Dan Henderson
    4. Vitor Belfort
    5. Jake Shields
    6. Damien Maia
    7. Robbie Lawler
    8. Chael Sonnen
    9. Paulo Filho
    19. Mamed Khalidov
    Just missed out: Jorge Santiago, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Ronaldo Souza, Michael Bisping, Patrick Cote, Alan Belcher, Rousimar Palhares, Hector Lombard.

Welterweight: 156-170lbs
    1. George St. Pierre
    2. John Fitch
    3. Thaigo Alves
    4. Nick Diaz
    5. Dan Hardy
    6. Josh Koscheck
    7. Paul Daley
    8. Mike Swick
    9. Marius Zaromskis
    10. Paulo Thiago
    Just missed out: Matt Hughes, Martin Kampmann, Carlos Condit, Jay Hieron, Hayato Sakurai, Dan Hornbuckle, Matt Serra, Ben Saunders, Anthony Johnson.

Lightweight: 146-155lbs
    1. Bj Penn
    2. Shinya Aoki
    3. Eddie Alverez
    4. Kenny Florian
    5. Diego Sanchez
    6. Tatsuya Kawajiri
    7. Gray Maynard
    8. Frankie Edgar
    9. Joachim Hansen
    10. Gilbert Melendez
    Just missed out: Tyson Griffin, Mizuto Hirota, Josh Thompson, Joe Stevenson, Takanori Gomi, Sean Sherk, JZ Cavalcante, Efrain Escudero.

Last edited by rudeboyben84 on Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Updated Rankings Empty Re: Updated Rankings

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:01 pm

Filho has a good shout for replacing Okami.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:09 pm

Yeah think Filho diserves in the top 10 myself... any thoughs on the rest of the rankings?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:23 pm

Brock should stay above Mir just now.

The winner of Thomson v Melendez should go into the top 10.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:45 pm

Agreed, winner of Thomson - Melendez goes in. Filho hasn't done enough to get back in yet imo.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:01 pm

Lightweight:

Thompson and Melendez should both be top 10 anyway IMO.

Both should be over Griffin and i don't think Kawajiri is top 10.

LW Rankings should start with:

1. BJ

2. Who cares, BJ is the best by miles.

Ridiculously dominant last night.
    -----------------------------------------------------

Welterweight:

Hardy and Daley are ranked too high at WW IMO.

-------------------------------------------------------

Middleweight:

Filho over Okami, Khalidov maybe in top 10 as well.

------------------------------------------------------

LightHeavyweight:

I see we're still sticking with this ridiculous joint number 1 nonsense. Despite Machida being the clear number 1. Rampage should be removed from the top 10 until he comes back to fight IMO.

----------------------------------------------------------

Heavyweight:

Lesnar should be 2, Mir 3, Nog 4, Cain V 5, Barnett 6, Carwin 7, Werdum 8, Dos Santos 9, OverRoid 10.

When you say "just missed out" how far exactly did Tim Sylvia miss out by??
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:34 pm

1.Fedor
    2.Lesnar
    3.Mir
    4.Nog
    5.JDS
    6.Cain
    7.Carwin
    8.Werdum
    9.Rogers
    10.Overeem

I think most webites have had Brock and Mir ahead of Nog.... I think that is correct. Barnett would probably be up their aswell but he currently doesnt have a license so cant be in the rankings. Surprised
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:49 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:1.Fedor
    2.Lesnar
    3.Mir
    4.Nog
    5.JDS
    6.Cain
    7.Carwin
    8.Werdum
    9.Rogers
    10.Overeem

I think most webites have had Brock and Mir ahead of Nog.... I think that is correct. Barnett would probably be up their aswell but he currently doesnt have a license so cant be in the rankings. Surprised

neither does Aoki and he is number 2 at lightweight. affraid affraid

the rankings are looking pretty good ben.

anyway ben you really think that was the best ufc in ages?

Better than 106 easily, the Buentello/Struve fight was good (Paul should have won clearly), Guida/Flo was an ok fight and a good win for Flo, Fitch = Fitch, Mir/Kongo was over in 1 minute and did not live up to the hype, BJ/Sanchez did not live up to the hype, it was just Diego failing to take BJ down for 20 minutes whilst getting caught with a smattering of punches until it ended on a cut. scratch

ok it was good but Mir/Florian/BJ fights were totally one sided.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:00 pm

Don't see how you could claim Buentello should have won clearly. Struve easily won the first and third rounds. Buentello won the second. It could have been a 10-8 round so maybe a draw. But there's no way Buentello won the fight.

Overall it was a good show. A lot of one sided asskicking though. Really disappointed in Diego. He froze and BJ battered him.

It was the best UFC since 101 IMO. But still not on the same level as the last Strikeforce event. REALLY looking forward to the next Strikeforce.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Struve should have finnished it in the first round, that body triangle of his should be his trademark, really he should have chocked Buentello out surely that was 10-8 round and he won the third round comfortably. Second round was Buentello 10-9 he dropped struve when he jumped into the air then they both started hiiting each other wildly, very exciting Cool

Struve desserved winner but still plenty of improvement their for him to be had. 3 straight wins in the ufc not too shabby ,eh?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:24 pm

naw i think Paul won round 3.

Leg kicks are all well and good when they effect the fight (shogun/machida, forrest/rampage) but when you suddenly start doing them out of nowhere in the last round it does fuck all, and Paul landed better punches in the whole fight.

but the last round was close, at the least it should have been a draw, if Struve gets 10 -8 for almost subbing paul (despite not having a finishing hold locked in at any point) paul gets 10-8 for almost knocking him out.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:57 pm

Struve easily won the last round! And he landed solid punches. Buentello gave it his all but there's just no way he won that fight. A draw at best.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:19 pm

Struve won the fight easily, 29-28. The round Buentello won was the second and he only won because of that big punch. One punch is not a 10-8 round. The headhunter did nothing in the last round aside from a few punches, Struve was better.

Anfield how can you have JDS as low as 9th! He has 3 very solid wins and you have Carwin over him who only has the one over a guy you call average at best. Whats up with that?

The winner of Thompson vs Melendez should definitley be in the top 10, the reason Thompson isn't top 10 is because of inactivity. I don't think Crusher is top 10 either.

BTW based on BJs performance yesterday I don't think any LW can stop him, he was sensational. The second best LW is easily Aoki right now and BJ would KTFO of him. This is based on the fact that Aoki has average stand-up and a poor chin, plus there is very little chance that he could get the fight to the ground and if he did BJ would be even to it. The last two fight BJ has fought like Cro Cop and Liddell in there prime, he has by far the best takedown defence in MMA today.

Only two guys who can even give BJ problems right now are Alvarez because of his powerful hands and overall well rounded game and Maynard because of his wrestling. Outside a big shot Alvarez won't do too much. Maynard's lack of finishing ability will cost him later in the match.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:30 pm

Struve won that fight,and I was cheering for Paul.

Last nights card was excellent,every fight was good,even Fitch, who we all knew before hand how the result would go but they did just enough for me to not be boring.

The Struve,Paul fight was good with a great middle rd thrown in.

Belcher gaves us an impressive finish and Johnson as much as I don't like him was pretty impresssive with his Sub.

BJ,Kenny and Mir were all one sided fights but they all looked world class in the way they got the job done.

This new Mir looks great and I can't wait to see him fight again,where has he found this power from,because he had nothing on his punches a few years back.
    I think Mir should deffinately fight the winner of Nog and Cain or take on Carwin next.

Kenny looked great and managed to do something to Clay that a whole host of top ranked LW's have not been able to do.
    His boxing looked sharp,his footwork was great and he was throwing some great standing elbows,the big punch and finish cemented that he is one of the best LW in the world and I can't wait to see him and Sanchez go at it again.

I haven't got a clue where BJ goes from here,he's just on another level from any LW in the world and I honestly don't think that even if somehow the UFC could get Aoki or Alverez they would stand a chance against him.
    If it wasn't for GSP,Penn would probably own both belts.
    Everything Sanchez tried last night,BJ had an easy solution for it and punished him every time.
    BJ's skills are undoubted but now he has the cardio to back it up.I just honestly can't see him losing at LW,he should probably just clear out the division(Maynard,Griffin,Edgar and co)and make sure that he goes out the rest of his career undefeated and the Champ and get all those stupid idea's about going in against GSP again out of his head.He doesn't need to leave the UFC to chase any fighters to prove he's the best,they need to beat him.

Penn is in the top 1 or 2 in every aspect of his MMA game.
    Striking,ground game,sub defences and takedown defence and now he is adding conditioning to that also.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Really disappointed in Diego. He froze and BJ battered him.

Did he freeze or was BJ just that much better than him? Did that first blow affect him in anyway, mentally? I was disappointed as well, I really thought he had it in him.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:04 pm

BJ is a clear number 1 lightweight, until NYE, but even then if Aoki is #1 i still would not expect him to ever beat BJ.

I dont thikn BJ will ever hold the WW title again, i think he would lose to GSP again, and even if he lost to GSP, he would be even worse of against Alves, after all BJ is a great striker at lw but he isnt the best, and he couldn't take alves down. He might lose against Hardy, Daley or Zaromskis aswell depending on whether he could get them down because he isnt out striking them.

I think he should stay at LW and fight the next contender, if by that time UFC hasnt brought in the other top LW dogs, then he should go to japan.

and chelsea, i think the first blow damaged Diego for the rest of the fight, but the gulf in class was so huge i doubt he would have made it close even without getting hurt early.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:08 pm

As for the rankings,I think big Nog could be close to slipping down the rankings,afterall he was close to losing to Herring,he got spanked by Mir,(yes I know he was ill but he took the fight and a loss is still a loss) and a 46 year old Randy gave him a close fight and took him the distance.
    But he did beat Timmeh.

If he loses to Cain,how far would you drop him on your list?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:14 pm

There is no point of him moving to WW really, I know he is trying to round his resume up but he is too small. GSP would easily beat him, Alves would KO him and I think Fitch would be too big. He already won the belt there once an achievment in itself. He would struggle standing against Zaromskis and Daley, Hardy outise a big shot wouldn't outstrike BJ.

At the same time he might have no option but the LW division is very stacked.

In the UFC he still has Maynard who is a much lesser version of GSP. His size and wrestling could cause problems though. Then you have Edgar, Griffin, Miller and the other young guns.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:21 pm

and chelsea, i think the first blow damaged Diego for the rest of the fight, but the gulf in class was so huge i doubt he would have made it close even without getting hurt early.

I know, it was brutal watching that fight. I really felt for Diego.

As for the HW rankings:

1.Fedor
    2.Lesner
    3.Mir
    4.Nog
    5.Barnett
    6.Dos Santos
    7.Velasquez
    8.Carwin
    9.Werdum
    10.Struve, Gonzaga, Timmeh, Kimbo Silce, Dan Severn, Thompson, my mum Anyone but Overoid Laughing Twisted Evil
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:27 pm

...but you have Mirroid at #3?!?
    Razz
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:06 pm

sunthunder wrote:Agreed, winner of Thomson - Melendez goes in. Filho hasn't done enough to get back in yet imo.

Mate Filho was number 2 before he lost to Sonnen!! Since then he has strung togeather 3 wins, from 2nd to not ranked and 3 wins doesnt get him ranked again? Id have to put Filho back in.

payneNglory1 I think Nog could be close to dropping as well he hasnt looked hard to beat, after the Mir loss he went down but he spent years at number 2 and since the Mir loss he went on to beat Randy Couture and Mir went on to loose to Lesnar, meaning its got to be 2.Nog 3.Lesnar or if people prefer 2.Lesnar 3.Nog but I dont think Lesnar has earned his spot over Nog, Im not rankings him 2 untill he earns it... If most people disaree ill change it but I really think Lesnar needs more than a handfull of wins to be ranked over Nog who only lost when he was sick. 1 loss dropped him to 4th and a win over Couture doesnt raise his standing? Nog is being harshly treated because he hasnt been blowing opponents away... but he never did.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:16 pm

I personally wouldn't drop Nog yet,but if he loses to Cain I think he should drop a few places.

You would have the problem where I think you would have to put Brock above Nog even though Brock wouldn't fight because Mir would deserve to be above Nog and you can't put Mir ahead of Brock.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:17 pm

Mir above Lesnar for me, the next time they fight the size issue wont be as big and I see Mir subbin his ass
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Heavyweight: 206-265Lbs
    1. Fedor Emelianenko
    2. Antonio Nogueira
    3. Brock Lesnar
    4. Frank Mir
    5. Josh Barnett
    6. Junior Dos Santos
    7. Cain Valezques
    8. Shane Carwin
    9. Fabricio Werdum
    10. Alistair Overeem
    Just Missded out, Andrei Arlovski, Brett Rogers, Aleksander Emelianenko, Antonio Silva, Gabriel Gonzaga, Jeff Monson.

Light heavyweight: 186-205lbs
    1. Lyoto Machida
    2. Shogun Rua
    3. Quinton Jackson
    4. Rashad Evans
    5. Gegard Mousasi
    6. Antônio Rogério Nogueira
    7. Forrest Griffin
    8. Thiago Silva
    9. Randy Couture
    10. Rich Franklin
    Just midded out: Jon Jones, Brandon Vera, Renato Sobral, Luiz Cane, Vladimir Matyushenko, Ryan Bader, Ricardo Arona, Mark Coleman.

Middleweight: 171-185lbs
    1. Anderson Silva
    2. Nate Marquadt
    3. Dan Henderson
    4. Vitor Belfort
    5. Jake Shields
    6. Damien Maia
    7. Robbie Lawler
    8. Chael Sonnen
    9. Paulo Filho
    19. Mamed Khalidov
    Just missed out: Jorge Santiago, Yoshihiro Akiyama, Ronaldo Souza, Michael Bisping, Patrick Cote, Alan Belcher, Rousimar Palhares, Hector Lombard.

Welterweight: 156-170lbs
    1. George St. Pierre
    2. John Fitch
    3. Thaigo Alves
    4. Nick Diaz
    5. Dan Hardy
    6. Josh Koscheck
    7. Paul Daley
    8. Mike Swick
    9. Marius Zaromskis
    10. Paulo Thiago
    Just missed out: Matt Hughes, Martin Kampmann, Carlos Condit, Jay Hieron, Hayato Sakurai, Dan Hornbuckle, Matt Serra, Ben Saunders, Anthony Johnson.

Lightweight: 146-155lbs
    1. Bj Penn
    2. Shinya Aoki
    3. Eddie Alverez
    4. Kenny Florian
    5. Diego Sanchez
    6. Tatsuya Kawajiri
    7. Gray Maynard
    8. Frankie Edgar
    9. Joachim Hansen
    10. Gilbert Melendez
    Just missed out: Tyson Griffin, Mizuto Hirota, Josh Thompson, Joe Stevenson, Takanori Gomi, Sean Sherk, JZ Cavalcante, Efrain Escudero.

Once again to clarify people can move up and down with wins/losses and inactivity, remember we all sort of agreed on these rankings so no chaning fighers who havnt competed recently unless its for inactivity. Ive also shortened some of the Just missed out lists, If anyone feels I need to add or remove anyone else let me know.

Ok changes are Tyson Griffin down due to inactivity being injured Melendez has replaced him in 10th spot being more active than Josh Thompson but Thompson obviously will get 10th spot if the wins. Anfield Kawajiri looks a bit high to me as well, not sure how he got there but he will deffo be moved down a place if Maynard beats Diaz. Edgar moves up over Hellboy with a win and thats the changes at 155lbs

at 170lbs Kos has gone up over Daley with his win over Rumble, no other changes at Welter as Fitch won he will still be ranked over Alves for now (although I think Alves is a better fighter and will maul him in a rematch! Very Happy )

at 185lbs, Khalidov beat Santiago so it moves him off the rankings and Khalidov in at 10th. Okami also slides off the Rankings as former 2nd ranked Filho has had 3 back to back wins and diserves to be ranked again (I think he diserves in over Khalidov at 9th)

at 205lbs Im just going to leave Machida top till the rematch otherwise Shogun wouldnt have anything to gain with a win! Ive removed Tito from the just missed out list as well as Keith Jardine.

At Heavy ive removed Tim Sylvia from the just missed out list... And someone else... cant remember. Ive added Monson despte a loss I think he is close top the top 15... Im thinking Nelson probabally diserves on the Just missed out list?
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:27 pm

Wait and see how Nelson fairs against some of the UFC's better fighters first.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:49 pm