THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
2brutal
Mryzyz
Once Mohawked Pete
ChelseaQuinsfan
Anfields5thKing
p4pnumber_1
10 posters

Ufc introduces 5-round non-title fights for all main events in the future ; Evans vs Davis exempt

p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ufc introduces 5-round non-title fights for all main events in the future ; Evans vs Davis exempt  Empty Ufc introduces 5-round non-title fights for all main events in the future ; Evans vs Davis exempt

Post  p4pnumber_1 Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:33 am

UFC president Dana White today told a small group of reporters that the promotion has decided that all main-event non-title bouts – whether on pay-per-view, Spike TV or Versus – will now be scheduled as five-rounders.

However, the adjustment will not apply to any currently scheduled bouts, such as UFC 133's Rashad Evans vs. Phil Davis tilt, or UFC on Versus 5's Dan Hardy vs. Chris Lytle contest.

"From this day forward, as we speak right here, right now today, every fight that is a main event that is not a title fight will be a five-round fight," White said following a UFC 131 pre-fight press conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

When immediately asked if that applied to Evans vs. Davis, White corrected himself.

"Except that one," White said with a laugh. "It should be, but what I don't want to do to guys is fights that we've already made and they've signed the bout agreement, you're mentally training for a three-round fight. To come back and say, 'Oh, it's five rounds now,' you can't do that to a guy.

"So all the fights that will be made from this day forward will be five rounds."

In a special Q&A session in conjunction with April's UFC 129 event, White revealed UFC 131's originally scheduled main event of Brock Lesnar vs. Junior Dos Santos nearly took the honors of the promotion's first five-round non-title matchup.

"I'm in to that," White said when asked by a fan about five-round non-title fights. "I like it. I think there's some fights that aren't title fights that are main events, and it ends up being three (rounds), and it should have been five. I'm a big fan of it, and we're working on that right now.

"We were actually going to start it with Brock Lesnar and Junior Dos Santos, but we had already made the fight, so it's kind of hard to go back to those guys after you've already made the fight and say, 'You know what? This is going to be five (rounds) instead of three.'"

And now it's done.

White doesn't yet know who will be featured in the UFC's first five-round non-title fight, but potential main-eventers might want to start upping their cardio sessions because the change is coming.

"From this day forward, any main-event fight that is signed after right now today will be five rounds instead of three," White said.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Ufc introduces 5-round non-title fights for all main events in the future ; Evans vs Davis exempt  Empty Re: Ufc introduces 5-round non-title fights for all main events in the future ; Evans vs Davis exempt

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:30 am

What happens if a week before an event, the main event gets scrapped due to injury? Do they then make the new main event a 5 rounder when those guys have trained and prepared for 3 rounds? Could lead to problems. Great move obviously, but some tough decisions ahead if main events get cancelled.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ufc introduces 5-round non-title fights for all main events in the future ; Evans vs Davis exempt  Empty Re: Ufc introduces 5-round non-title fights for all main events in the future ; Evans vs Davis exempt

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:19 am

I really like this move, it will really show in fights who the better fighter is and gives fans better value for money. However as Anfield said, it will be a problem if a guy pulls out 1 week before the fight or something like that.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:50 am

I would have preferred a review of the current scoring system, and kept the five rounders to the title fights.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:02 am

They should just make all fights between two top ten fighters (by the consensus rankings) 5 rounders.

The third fight on a big PPV is often more worthy of 5 rounds than the main event of a fight night.

Does this mean TUF finals will now be 5 rounds?
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 am

That's what I'm wondering mryzyz
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:06 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:What happens if a week before an event, the main event gets scrapped due to injury? Do they then make the new main event a 5 rounder when those guys have trained and prepared for 3 rounds? Could lead to problems. Great move obviously, but some tough decisions ahead if main events get cancelled.

This is a completely naive question, but in terms of training, how does a camp for a 3 or 5 round fight differ? More cardio for 5 rounds i guess?

I agree on your points, it's an interesting move, and will resolve some issues, but for short notice fights/replacements it could be a problem. Then again, i guess short notice replacements for title fights (ie. Maia) have always been faced with the same problem...
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Yeah for a 5 round fight you'll work on more cardio, but you also train to fight at a slightly slower pace so you can retain energy for the later rounds.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:52 pm

obviously a good move....

now lets see what can be done about that stupid one minute rest period fights have in the middle. cheers
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:11 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:obviously a good move....

now lets see what can be done about that stupid one minute rest period fights have in the middle. cheers

you mean they should make 1 25 minute round....? bounce
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:50 pm

sure; i think its more like fighting that way...would probably be a lot more boring but its more fair - and easier for a grappler to implement a strategy.

maybe they should start rounds in the position the previous round ended...would definitley make for less stalling by the guy on the bottom, and more fighting.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:09 pm

According to wiki september 17th fight night will feature first 5 rd main event non title, I guess that answers the will it only be main ufc cards
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:17 pm

2brutal wrote:According to wiki september 17th fight night will feature first 5 rd main event non title, I guess that answers the will it only be main ufc cards

It's every card - It says at the top of the article PPV, Spike tv or Versus cards, which is a bonus i suppose.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    It'll mean the UFC will need to choose their main events more carefully. For example, if the 5 rounds was implemented for the Hardy/Lyttle it would be a disgrace that that fight was the main event, as Miller/Bendo would gain more experience from the 5 rounds.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:39 pm

i wonder what forced the change and wether other promotions will follow suite.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:56 pm

I would bet miller hendo gets the 5 rds
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote: I would have preferred a review of the current scoring system, and kept the five rounders to the title fights.

Me too mate.

I dont know if Dana and Co think that with 5 rounds there might be more finishes and therefore the shite MMA scoring system used in UFC might be used less...

But id like to see stats for title fights vs non title figths to see how much more often a finish happens. The last thing I want to see is fighters pacing themselves more.

p4pnumber_1 is bang on about the wrong fight getting the 5 round status. Miller and B.hendo are both ranked, Hardy and lights out arent... wheres the logic in that? I dont like this 5 round main event bollox because there is no good way of deciding who is the main event and usually they go for heavier fighters.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 pm