THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
poz
The_Axe_Emperor
efils_god
Once Mohawked Pete
Shanemc
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
the_king
mikeyboybisping
13 posters

Should main events be five rounds?

Poll

Three or five?

[ 5 ]
    Should main events be five rounds? I_vote_lcap56%Should main events be five rounds? I_vote_rcap [56%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Should main events be five rounds? I_vote_lcap44%Should main events be five rounds? I_vote_rcap [44%] 

Total Votes: 9
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Should main events be five rounds? Empty Should main events be five rounds?

Post  mikeyboybisping Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Simple really, there have been too many main events lately going to decision. Who here wouldn't have minded seeing Machida and Rampage go on for another two rounds?

Then again, if every main event is five rounds then does it undervalue title fights?

Discuss Basketball
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Should main events be five rounds? Empty Re: Should main events be five rounds?

Post  the_king Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:05 pm

nah they should stay at 3.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:06 pm

they should have extension rounds if the judges are split, or score is a draw
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:08 pm

I would like to see perhaps the 3rd round extended to 10 mins for main event fights, and if its a title fight the 5th round extended to 10 mins.

Reckon it would result in alot more finishes to a fight.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:13 pm

id love them to be 5 rounders as main events are generally big fights who wouldnt want to see them last longer
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:20 am

Would like to see some sort of revamp with the format, but, think the 5rounders should be title fights.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:46 am

I would like them to do something, as there are too many decision in my eyes, and coupled with the 'dodgy' decisions of late, this is not a good thing. But i'm not sure that 5 rounds is the answer, as it's good that title fights are 'special' and different compared to others. What they could do, as mentioned, is add a final 5 min round after the 3 if there is a split decision or draw on the cards.

But then, do you announce the scores to the fighters after 3 rounds and before the final round? I think probably not.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:29 pm

Simply, no.

Devalues title fights as you said, doesn't matter if it goes to a decision, thats the fighters faults, not the round numbers.

I also disagree with people saying there should be an extra round if its a split decision, why are there three judges if you're gonna overrule their decision and have another round?

An extra round if its a draw, like they do on TUF, is probably the best route to take.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:49 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Simply, no.

Devalues title fights as you said, doesn't matter if it goes to a decision, thats the fighters faults, not the round numbers.

I also disagree with people saying there should be an extra round if its a split decision, why are there three judges if you're gonna overrule their decision and have another round?

An extra round if its a draw, like they do on TUF, is probably the best route to take.

Do draws happen often, can't recall seeing many. I think if both fighters have fought well it might be unfair to 'force' a decision? Unless the fight is for a title shot etc.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:50 pm

Yeah i suppose so, but that'd be pretty obsolete as a draw is very rare. I think a 'fourth' round if you like, is a decent (not ideal) idea, and would also help in cases of perceived judging error - ie. Griffin-Lentz - 2 x 29-28 and 1 x 27-30 !!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:07 pm

efils_god wrote:

Yeah i suppose so, but that'd be pretty obsolete as a draw is very rare. I think a 'fourth' round if you like, is a decent (not ideal) idea, and would also help in cases of perceived judging error - ie. Griffin-Lentz - 2 x 29-28 and 1 x 27-30 !!

yeah but that 30-27 score was down to bad judging.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:10 pm

If judges werent encouraged not to score rounds 9-9 It would help more than having 5 rounds.

Also if Judges were more confiendt in what to call a 10-8 or even a 10-7 round it would completley fix the whole mess of bad scorecards.

If they werent sure who won insted of guessing the wrong guy, saying it was a draw is better. If they know someone dominated they should have the balls to say he won by a couple of points...

Simplest way to sort scoring I reckon
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:16 pm

also im sure a fighter would rather draw a fight than lose a close decision, if a fight is too close to call i have no problem with draws.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:27 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:If judges werent encouraged not to score rounds 9-9 It would help more than having 5 rounds.

Also if Judges were more confiendt in what to call a 10-8 or even a 10-7 round it would completley fix the whole mess of bad scorecards.

If they werent sure who won insted of guessing the wrong guy, saying it was a draw is better. If they know someone dominated they should have the balls to say he won by a couple of points...

Simplest way to sort scoring I reckon

Yeah for me, this would sort most things out, although a problem could be that there are more draws.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:12 pm

I disagree that it devalues title fights. I think all fights should be the same length. In boxing they don't have 14 rounds for a title fight. it's always either 12 for top fighters regardless of whether a belt is on the line or not. The value in a title fight is having the belt on the line, nothing to do with rounds.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:33 pm

As Ben says, in a three round fight the judges simply can't call every round 10-9. I wasn't surprised when Rampage got the decision but Machida didn't really deserve to lose that fight.

I'd like to see promoters offer fighters larger win bonuses for finishing fights. Hopefully this would prevent situations like the Falcao fight where he coasted the third round safe in the knowledge that he'd won the first two. It might also make one or two wrestlers think twice about dry humping to a UD.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:19 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:As Ben says, in a three round fight the judges simply can't call every round 10-9. I wasn't surprised when Rampage got the decision but Machida didn't really deserve to lose that fight.

I'd like to see promoters offer fighters larger win bonuses for finishing fights. Hopefully this would prevent situations like the Falcao fight where he coasted the third round safe in the knowledge that he'd won the first two. It might also make one or two wrestlers think twice about dry humping to a UD.

I said something similar on the WEC 52 thread.....and killed it!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:46 pm

I think it would be great if every main event and co main event were 5 rd fights personally.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 am