THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Ohio introduces a Cruiserweight division for amatuer fights.

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ohio introduces a Cruiserweight division for amatuer fights. Empty Ohio introduces a Cruiserweight division for amatuer fights.

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Wanting to gather data that could someday bring about a change to the professional mixed-martial-arts ranks, the Ohio Athletic Commission on May 1 will implement a new cruiserweight division for the state's amateur fighters.

The division, which ranges from 206 to 225 pounds, will limit the one-time 60-pound range in the heavyweight division to 40 pounds (226 to 265 pounds).

But Bernie Profato, executive director of the Ohio Athletic Commission, cautions that we're unlikely to see the weight class – one long supported by many in the MMA community – anytime soon in MMA's unified rules.

"Here in Ohio, we want to be in a leadership role," Profato today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "Sometimes, the only way to see if something works is to go out there and try it."

The trial run, which doesn't have a specific end date, will allow Profato to gather data and gauge industry insiders on its effectiveness. Ohio, after all, is no better testing ground; the state regulates more MMA shows per year than any other athletic commission, and nearly 27 percent of fighters in the new national amateur-MMA database are from Ohio, Profato said.

Profato, a former amateur boxer and two-time Gold Gloves champion, was also a longtime softball administrator. He said he sometimes would test out new rules in the competitive "super division" in fast-pitch softball, and if successful, they'd introduce the possible rule change to the rest of the sport. He sees the trial run of the cruiserweight division as a similar process.

As for the new division, which has become a hot topic since UFC champions such as Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin have begun pushing the upper limits of the heavyweight class, Profato wants to see if fighters and promoters find relief for the "in-betweeners" who are often too big for the 205-pound light heavyweight division and yet to small to compete with the sport's bigger heavyweights.

"When you see a kid make his (amateur) debut ... or he has less than five fights, and he's 212 or 214 pounds and he's fighting a guy who's 260 or 265, that's just too much," Profato said. "Will the new division work? I don't know. But I'd rather see a kid fight at a comfortable weight than totally dehydrate himself and fight when he's weak.

"Besides, with these (amateur) fighters, this is all new. They're not Randy Couture. The weight-cutting is often still new to them, so this is a way to help them and also level the playing field."

If the feedback is positive, Profato would support implementing the weight class among the pro ranks. However, that could be a long process. First, he would need to gather all the data he can. Then, he'd share his findings with colleague Nick Lembo of the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board, who's the chairman of the Association of Boxing Commissioners' MMA committee. The proposal would be presented in a well-searched report with input from fighters, promoters, managers, regulators and even media and fans. Other commissions could then weigh in, and conceivably, it could then be adopted into the unified rules of the sport.

"Again, it wouldn't happen overnight," Profato said. "And we wouldn't simply implement it just in Ohio. I would never, ever go against the unified rules. We all go with the unified rules. ... It's important to have that consistency."

This is good news i think, and i hope it will be the stepping stone in setting up a CW division in the unified rules. A 60 pound range is just way too big.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Ohio introduces a Cruiserweight division for amatuer fights. Empty Re: Ohio introduces a Cruiserweight division for amatuer fights.

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:32 pm

There is one professional organisation that also used the Crusierweight class. Gald to see more people adopting it. Its such a shame that there are guys of a certain suze who are always going to be at a huge disadvantage.

The sad think is if UFC co promoted and there was all the top fighters competing against each other regularly there would easily be room to split the tallent into another devision and Cruiserweight would have happened years ago I think.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ohio introduces a Cruiserweight division for amatuer fights. Empty Re: Ohio introduces a Cruiserweight division for amatuer fights.

Post  pinsman Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Interesting... I think with all these massive Heavys it would be good to introduce a cruiser weight class. Fedor would never be beat!!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:15 pm

to be honest i doubt whether or not Fedor would bother cutting the 5 lbs. Laughing

implementing this new rule across the board is not something i am excited about....i guess it could be ok though, only if the 265 cap was removed.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:52 pm

I was just going to post it.

It seems like a trial and error kind of thing which is ok but im not sure I like the idea. Basically I just hope it doesn't stop us from watching fights like Fedor vs Overoid/Lesnar ect and I don't think it will because if Fedor wanted he could make 205.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:51 pm

International Fighting Championships do a 205-230 weight class then 230-265 (Franklin was champ there)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:43 pm