THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
Anfields5thKing
pinsman
Sheldan
Cowboys From Hell
efils_god
Ginginho
Mryzyz
11 posters

Fedor v Hendo confirmed

Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Fedor v Hendo confirmed Empty Fedor v Hendo confirmed

Post  Mryzyz Wed May 04, 2011 10:40 am

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Fedor v Hendo confirmed Empty Re: Fedor v Hendo confirmed

Post  Ginginho Wed May 04, 2011 12:34 pm

cheers cheers

Biggest fight ever Question Question Question Question
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed May 04, 2011 1:23 pm

epic!!
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed May 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Hate to be an ass but until I see Fedor in the cage in Chicago on July 30th I'm not too convinced this will happen I have this horrible fucking feeling White or M-1 will some how balls this up or I'm just paranoid...
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed May 04, 2011 3:57 pm

Biggest match up in years hands down, possibly even arguably the biggest fight in MMA history based on the legacy of both fighters, just a shame it couldn't have perhaps come about 5 years earlier. Also a shame about some of the other match ups that are on the card, Roger Gracie VS Muhammad Lawal? Talk about feeding the guy to the wolves, I see no way that Gracie wins this fight, and that is very unfortunate because I really like him.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed May 04, 2011 7:50 pm

Fedor will be awesome at 220lb cant wait, def not the biggest fght ever though!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 04, 2011 8:26 pm

Feel free to name any bigger fights that come to your mind.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed May 04, 2011 9:42 pm

I'd say fedor vs cro cop was a bigger fight?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 04, 2011 10:23 pm

CroCop was never as big a name as Hendo is. Hendo is a multi-division champion who's won titles in Rings, UFC, Pride and Strikeforce.

And Fedor is a lot better known now as well.

That might have been a more important fight, and a more relevant one. But not as big as this one.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed May 04, 2011 10:46 pm

Fedor vs Crocop was a much bigger fight....whatever way you want to define "bigger"

-That was #1 p4p and #1 heavyweight vs. #2/3 heavyweight and p4p most devastating striker.

-This is somewhere-in-the-top-10 HW coming off 2 losses vs. somewhere-in-the-top-10 LHW

-Fedor/Crocop had all the hype, compared to this which; OK its just being announced, hasnt had nearly as much hype.

-Crocop was a MUCH bigger name than Dan Henderson has ever been, not sure how you figured otherwise anfield scratch
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 05, 2011 12:10 am

Then

CroCop - Big name in Japan. a nobody in America
    Fedor - Big name in Japan. a nobody in America

Now

Fedor - Big name in Japan, big name in America
    Hendo - Big name in Japan, big name in America.

This is America vs Russia, Rocky vs Drago for the modern ages.

Fedor vs CroCop had hype in Japan, went pretty much un-noticed in America.

Hendo vs Fedor will have hype EVERYWHERE.

Fedor vs CroCop was more important and more relevant. Fedor vs Hendo is bigger.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu May 05, 2011 9:05 am

What about Liddel fighting in pride?

Weve all said on here that Hendo isn't a big name with your common mma fan? Can't see you can call this the biggest fight in MMA history...

I'd put Wandi vs Cro Cop above this lol!

It's just a legends fight... two guys past their prime.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Thu May 05, 2011 6:11 pm

GSP vs Penn two was bigger.

Sakuraba vs Royce?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu May 05, 2011 7:02 pm

Really looking forward to the fight,but just like Pinsman says,this is nothing more than a legends fight,two great legends no doubt,but two Legends who's best days are well behind them.

Also you have to remember that this fight,no matter how you look at it,has no importance on anything,it's a HW against a MW/LHW,there's no title on the line,no bearing on rankings,doesn't detirmining a challenger,no old feud to settle,and it's not a highly anticipated fight that's been brewing for years or even one that fans have been calling for,for years.

Also this is on Showtime,so automaticlly there will be a smaller viewing audience in the US,compared to loads of big fights that have happened on PPV or even some smaller Spike TV cards,and I don't really know how easily accessible to the japanese fans or other fans around the world it will be,to get a global audience watching this fight.
    It will have a better chance of being pushed out there,now they have the marketing power of ZUFFA behind them,but I still wouldn't be that surprised if this fight didn't even break strikeforce's viewing figures on Showtime.
    I could be wrong,if like anfield claims,this is the biggest fight in MMA,then they will have no problems crushing any previous Showtime/strikeforce records will they,so we will see.

IMO,Cro-cop v Fedor was much bigger,they were both in there primes and were actually fighting for something,Fedor v Nog,Nog v Cro-cop,Randy vs Chuck,GSP v Hughes,Chuck v Tito,Chuck vs Wandi,Hendo v Silva,Hendo v Rampage,Bj v Hughes,machida v shogun,you get the point,were all more meaningful,more looked forward too,bigger fights for me.

If Fedor had dropped to LHW,4 or 5 years ago and this fight happened,then it would of been right up there with any great match ups in MMA History,but today,it,s just a legends match that I'm looking forward to watching.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 05, 2011 10:13 pm

sunthunder wrote:GSP vs Penn two was bigger.

Sakuraba vs Royce?

GSP vs Penn was bigger in North America. Not bigger worldwide.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 05, 2011 10:15 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Really looking forward to the fight,but just like Pinsman says,this is nothing more than a legends fight,two great legends no doubt,but two Legends who's best days are well behind them.

Also you have to remember that this fight,no matter how you look at it,has no importance on anything,it's a HW against a MW/LHW,there's no title on the line,no bearing on rankings,doesn't detirmining a challenger,no old feud to settle,and it's not a highly anticipated fight that's been brewing for years or even one that fans have been calling for,for years.

Also this is on Showtime,so automaticlly there will be a smaller viewing audience in the US,compared to loads of big fights that have happened on PPV or even some smaller Spike TV cards,and I don't really know how easily accessible to the japanese fans or other fans around the world it will be,to get a global audience watching this fight.
    It will have a better chance of being pushed out there,now they have the marketing power of ZUFFA behind them,but I still wouldn't be that surprised if this fight didn't even break strikeforce's viewing figures on Showtime.
    I could be wrong,if like anfield claims,this is the biggest fight in MMA,then they will have no problems crushing any previous Showtime/strikeforce records will they,so we will see.

IMO,Cro-cop v Fedor was much bigger,they were both in there primes and were actually fighting for something,Fedor v Nog,Nog v Cro-cop,Randy vs Chuck,GSP v Hughes,Chuck v Tito,Chuck vs Wandi,Hendo v Silva,Hendo v Rampage,Bj v Hughes,machida v shogun,you get the point,were all more meaningful,more looked forward too,bigger fights for me.

If Fedor had dropped to LHW,4 or 5 years ago and this fight happened,then it would of been right up there with any great match ups in MMA History,but today,it,s just a legends match that I'm looking forward to watching.

All those fights you listed were more important and more relevant. None were bigger on a worldwide basis.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Thu May 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    sunthunder wrote:GSP vs Penn two was bigger.

Sakuraba vs Royce?

GSP vs Penn was bigger in North America. Not bigger worldwide.

How do you define bigger? Does sheer popularity give a fight true relevance? After all, Ogawa vs Giant Silva was one of the most viewed fights in Pride history.

GSP and Penn were two top 5 pound for pound fighters facing eachother whilst both were champions, both in their prime, first time two UFC title holders were facing eachother.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 05, 2011 11:09 pm

St. Pierre-Penn was the biggest fight in the UFC, ever. But those are two UFC legends who accomplished nothing outside of the UFC. It was also the most blatant act of cheating in the UFC, ever.

Hendo and Fedor are worldwide MMA legends who've held title in all the big organizations(except for Fedor in SF).

GSP vs BJ was more relevant and more important but when you list off the fighters who've accomplished the most in the sport, Hendo and Fedor are higher on that list than BJ and GSP.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri May 06, 2011 12:23 am

As shit as this sounds I think if it was tought in the ufc it would make it a bigger fight, strikeforce is still a small org in comparison to the ufc making this fight less relevant to the mma world as a whole...

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri May 06, 2011 2:19 am

it's less relevant from the point that there's no belt on the line, and it's just a fight for the sake of having a fight. But despite it not being in the UFC the Zuffa marketing machine will get behind it and I think the interest will be huge
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri May 06, 2011 11:10 am

I don't know mate the yanks are a fickle bunch and as fedor has never fought in the ufc he isn't that popular... And dan was never a big crowd puller was he? For your die hard fans this is a great fight, but for your average Joe they'll be like" fedor who? "

I work with guys who think they know everything about mma because they watch ufc and have had a kickboxing lesson or two... And none of them have really seen fedor fight. Unfortunantly pride was before it's time and didn't get the audience backing it would of over here in the west if it was at it's prime again now... And both of these fighters are primely pride fighters. If you catch my drift?
    Mannpagejackson
    Mannpagejackson
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Mannpagejackson Fri May 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Im looking forward to this fight, but is it a "super fight" like some on here have stated, im not sure. Great fighters have to beat all the best fighters in their weight class/ classes that they can, im not sure that hendos history of fighters he has beat is all that impressive. Its good, dont get me wrong but If you look at his career, the people who he has lost to include rampage, Jake shields, anderson silva, Antonio Nogueira x 2, wanderlei silva, Ricardo arona and misaki. A list of some very good fighters, but how can henderson have such an iconic suppprt when the best fighters beat everybody at there weight class. Fedor of course has! And as such deserves the backing and support he recieves but i think people forget that henderson has fought some of the top fighters and has been found wanting. Hes improved since some of those losses and no doubt could put some of those defeats right but until he does (if he does/could), i Regard henderson as a damn good fighter but a legend worthy of the mass following and legendary status some fans give him, No! Not even close!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:33 am