THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

Dana to talk with Diaz at UFC 129, Lorenzo to sort Hendo vs Fedor

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Dana to talk with Diaz at UFC 129, Lorenzo to sort Hendo vs Fedor Empty Dana to talk with Diaz at UFC 129, Lorenzo to sort Hendo vs Fedor

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:51 pm

Despite everybody’s continued claims that things have never been better inside Strikeforce, we know the UFC has already taken over the company’s relations with the media and begun poaching its biggest stars. Now, it seems UFC executives are also neck deep in Strikeforce’s business, reportedly working (at least for the time being) to make sure the smaller fight promotion’s top remaining draws are happy. That’s the word out of Toronto on Thursday, where multiple reports say Dana White will meet with Strikeforce welterweight champ Nick Diaz after UFC 129 and that co-owner Lorenzo Fertitta is already seeing to the task of making the proposed superfight between Fedor Emelianenko and Dan Henderson become a reality.

First and foremost, White seems understandably concerned with Diaz’s apparent designs on bolting MMA for boxing. As quickly as plans to have the Stockton bad boy fight Fernando Vargas fell apart a couple weeks back, new reports surfaced saying former super middleweight champion Jeff Lacy might be interested. Perhaps most interestingly, White said this week Diaz’s contract actually does allow for such foolishness – which is another good example of why UFC people need to be up in SF’s business – but he’s obviously not crazy about the idea.

“I’m going to sit down with him and we’ll figure out what he wants to do,” White said, via MMA Fighting. “Listen, for the last 10 years, I’ve dealt with the craziest, the coolest, the baddest, the this, the that. I’ve always tried to make everybody happy. You can’t make them all happy, but you can try. I’ll sit down with Nick Diaz literally after this fight and try to figure out what’s next for him.”

So it sounds like Dana is willing to give Diaz whatever he desires – we can imagine Diaz’s demands including shiny stuff, some string and as many leaves and twigs as it takes to build a nest – until the notoriously cantankerous fighter is pleased. One thing, though: What if Diaz says all he really wants is a UFC contract and a fight with Georges St. Pierre? Then what?

Meanwhile, Fertitta has allegedly been busying himself trying to greenlight that Fedor vs. Hendo fight we heard about, then didn’t hear about a couple weeks ago. At issue may be finding a weight for the fight. Henderson is on record saying he doesn’t want to fight Emelianenko at a catchweight, but would be more than happy to come up to heavyweight. For some reason – as they always do – M-1 Global has found a way to be difficult, contending Fedor wants to fight at 220-pounds.

Also holding things up could be the issue of co-promotion. Though it was rumored Strikeforce might try to get this fight on PPV, Junkie reports they may still be targeting July. In the past, M-1 has co-promoted events on Showtime where Emelianenko has appeared, but it remains to be seen if that deal will still stand now that Zuffa is in the mix.

“Lorenzo’s working on it,” White said, via MMA Junkie. “Me getting anywhere near that thing? You’ll never see that fight … I’ve been out of it. Me involved in that situation would only make matters worse. The great thing about this company and the way we do things – there’s a lot of people I butt heads with (Ed. Note: No shit). Lorenzo can handle it, and then I can handle (other) stuff …

“We don’t have to be friends for you to fight in the UFC, and we don’t have to get along,” White said. “It’s business.”

Nope, you only have to be friends with them to cover the shows.

Thats from Cage potato. Hope I cant imagine how Dana will keep Diaz in MMA unless he can get him out of his SF contract and into a Title fight with GSP if Shields looses. Shields could always go to Mw, I think he could do well against Anderson. If Dana cant get Diaz into the UFC I think he will leave MMA for the forseabale future because theres fuck all in SF left for him at 170.

Hope Lorenzo can get Fedor vs Hendo sorted, its good Dana is keeping his nose out of it! I hope they can get this weight thiing sorted. Im all honesty Hendo wont weight more than 220 anyway will he? So he could agree on the catchweight... or if M-1 are dieing to start Fedor cutting to 205 just make it a Hw figh and tell him to loose some weight and come in at 220 anyway! The weight really shouldnt be an issue should it?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dana to talk with Diaz at UFC 129, Lorenzo to sort Hendo vs Fedor Empty Re: Dana to talk with Diaz at UFC 129, Lorenzo to sort Hendo vs Fedor

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:58 pm

Hendo won't weigh more than 210...i dont know why either of them is being so stubborn, it makes NO difference.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Dana to talk with Diaz at UFC 129, Lorenzo to sort Hendo vs Fedor Empty Re: Dana to talk with Diaz at UFC 129, Lorenzo to sort Hendo vs Fedor

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:06 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:Hendo won't weigh more than 210...i dont know why either of them is being so stubborn, it makes NO difference.

My guess is that M-1 want to get Fedor down to 205 and catchweights are a good Idea for dropping weight class... thing is like you say Hendo is bearly over 205 anyway, so its not like if Fedor cuts to 220 Hendo will come in at 230 and be the bigger man! Laughing

I reckon if Push comes to shove Hendo will take the fight at any weight.

What you think about Daiz, he is in a multi fight deal with 0 opposition in SF, if Zuffa cant buy out contracts he is caught between a rock an a hard place... I like the Idea of the Lacey fight though, Id imagine Diaz boxing similar to Calzaghe... could be a good fight for him, left hook is all but washed up
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:22 am

How does it work because surely SF own the Diaz contract, and Zuffa own SF, so by association they must own the Diaz contract.

Therefore if going to UFC and fighting GSP is what Diaz and Zuffa both want there shouldn't be a problem....
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:51 pm

Diazs' contract probably states that his fights must be on ShoWtime.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:24 am