THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
7 posters

Ricardo Almeida now a NJ MMA Judge

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ricardo Almeida now a NJ MMA Judge Empty Ricardo Almeida now a NJ MMA Judge

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Ariel Helwani's twitter.

Ariel Helwani
    Huge. RT @larrypepe: Great interview with @NickLembo earlier. Ricardo Almeida now a pro MMA judge in New Jersey.

I think this is a great move for the sport,we need more good ex MMA fighters who know the game inside out and know exactly what they are watching to get involved in the judging.

I really hope more ex fighters/trainers/coaches etc chose to do this,they could replace some of these boxing judges that don't really know what they are watching,never mind what or how a MMA fight should be scored.

What other ex or current fighters/coaches/trainers would you like to see follow suit or just think would make good judges?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Ricardo Almeida now a NJ MMA Judge Empty Re: Ricardo Almeida now a NJ MMA Judge

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:54 pm

Almeida is a fighter who strongly favours one discipline (BJJ), he might be biased to ground game as opposed to striking.

He's more 1 dimensional than ur average MMA fighter. There are problems with fighters becoming judges.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:33 am

Almieda comes across to me as a fair knowledgeable guy,who knows the importance of the other aspects of the game that are needed to become an MMA fighter,he's had to put the time in himself,learning them and teaching them,(I'm sure he's put shit loads of hours into his stand up and wrestling)so I personally think he would be a fair competent judge.

Anyone that has basically spent the last 10 years living and breathing the sport,should have a better understanding on what it takes to win or score a fight IMO.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:41 am

I think this is a good move for the sport. As long as he's not biased towards BJJ fighters.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:45 am

There's a good chance a lot of future MMA judges have a particular fondness or training back ground in one discipline over another, that doesn't mean they'll bring that cage side.

It's possible to recognise personal bias and favouritism and discard it to do your job properly.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:19 am

Retired from fighting and became a judge??
    sounds like he took his last decision loss pretty hard!! Very Happy
    (bullshit apparently, i havent seen it though)
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:54 am

His light fight was close but I rekon he lost, it wasn't the most exciting, rekon on the whole it's a good thing only problems I see are him judging a team mate from renzo gracies and if he judges any of his mates fights or people he dislikes grudges against
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:57 am

2brutal wrote:His light fight was close but I rekon he lost, it wasn't the most exciting, rekon on the whole it's a good thing only problems I see are him judging a team mate from renzo gracies and if he judges any of his mates fights or people he dislikes grudges against

Same goes for any fighter or trainer who turns to judging I reckon. It would be difficult for them not to favour their mates.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:55 pm

Yeah mate I agree
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue May 17, 2011 6:49 pm

Video: Ricardo Almeida: Life After MMA

http://vimeo.com/22896676

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 7:19 pm