THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Anfields5thKing
efils_god
Cowboys From Hell
superman_punch
Sheldan
9 posters

Michael Bisping Discusses Controversy, Wants Sonnen Next, Blasts Marquardt

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Michael Bisping Discusses Controversy, Wants Sonnen Next, Blasts Marquardt Empty Michael Bisping Discusses Controversy, Wants Sonnen Next, Blasts Marquardt

Post  Sheldan Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:25 pm

Imagine the world-class trash talk that would be generated if Michael Bisping and Chael Sonnen got together. Are you smiling at the possibility? Well, it could very well happen. It's the fight that Sonnen wants, and now, it's apparently the bout that Bisping wants as well.

In a Monday appearance on The MMA Hour, Bisping voiced a hope that he will next be matched up with the former No. 1 contender.

"I want to fight Chael Sonnen because No. 1, he's an amazing fighter," Bisping said. "When he fought last, he looked fantastic, and I want to challenge myself. He's the No. 2 ranked middleweight in the world. Obviously I can't fight No. 1 because he's got a title shot, so I want to fight the No. 2 guy."

Bisping said that his management team has informed the UFC of his desire, and he hopes that when Sonnen's contract is unfrozen following his sentencing in a criminal money laundering case, he gets the call.

In his last fight, Bisping faced and defeated Jorge Rivera. Both the pre-fight chatter and fight itself were filled with controversy, with Rivera's team producing a series of pointed videos aimed at him. The Brit earned his revenge by winning in a second-round TKO, but an illegal knee and an ugly post-fight spitting incident marred the victory celebration. Afterward, Bisping was penalized by UFC president Dana White, who refused him a post-fight bonus.

Though Sonnen is likely to turn up the insults well past anything Rivera did, Bisping said he has no issue with facing another fight that could turn personal.

"The things that Chael Sonnen comes out with, they're so outlandish that you can't help but laugh," he said. "Listen, I think he's brilliant. I've watched the stuff from his last fight. I was in stitches. I was laughing my ass off. Even comments he said about me after my last fight, I just had to laugh at that. You can't not laugh. Of course he's going to get in my head at the time, but hopefully I've learned from recent experiences. It'll make for a great fight i'm sure."

One fight he's not so interested in? Nate Marquardt.

The usually quiet middleweight contender ripped Bisping before his UFC 128 win over Dan Miller, calling him, "an ass" and "a total punk," and saying he'd like to "punch him in the mouth and shut him up."

While all that is fairly tame by MMA trash-talk standards, Bisping took exception at the comments, noting that that Marquardt has had his own issues, both in and out of the cage.

"That guy, he's quite a hypocrite," he said. "He's a steroid cheat, let's not forget that. He's had points taken away for illegally kneeing people himself, and then he goes out talking about me as if I'm Satan or something. The guy's an absolute hypocrite."

Marquardt tested positive for nandrolone following his UFC debut in August 2006. He later tested clean in a re-test, and his suspension was reduced by one month.

Bisping shot back further when asked if he felt he had bypassed Marquardt in the division.

"Yeah, to be honest," he said. "He s---- the bed every time he's in a main event. He's had three No. 1 contender fights and a title shot and lost them all. I want to fight the top guys and I think Chael Sonnen for me is the biggest possible name I could get, and that's what I'm hoping for. Nate Marquardt doesn't excite me."

Addressing the UFC 128 controversy for the first time, Bisping said he was "disappointed by the whole thing," and insisted that a second-round illegal knee was unintentional, noting how much he had invested in the fight, including two months of training away from his family, a rise up the rankings, and a possible win bonus.

"I made a mistake," he said. "It happens all the time."

As for his post-fight antics, Bisping denied spitting on anyone in Rivera's cornerman. He said that after the fight, Rivera's corner -- who he was still mad at for participating in videos that he believed to be slanderous towards his fiancee -- was still "shouting abuse" at him, so he moved towards them and spit in their direction.

Though he says he didn't hit anyone, he still regrets the action.

"Absolutely, in hindsight, I wish I handled it completely different," he said. "I let myself down, I let the UFC down, I let the fans down. I would like to apologize again for that. Of course, I regret that massively. Words can't describe how much I regret doing that. I let myself get dragged into it, and I should've been bigger than that."

"Look, 99.9 percent of the time I'm a good guy," he continued. "I treat the people closest to me with respect, I'm a loving father and husband. As I said, 99.9 percent of the time, I'm a good guy, but now and again, my guard falls down. When you're in a battle fighting, the adrenaline is flowing like crazy. Some people are different. But like I said, I apologize, and I mean it."

The interview took place with Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour, for those who have never seen it, I recommend you try and see it, it's on mmafighting.com at 6PM UK time on Mondays, and then it's available to download on iTunes from about Wednesdays, it's a really good show.

As far as Bisping goes, I think after Cruz and Faber were announced to be fighting at UFC 132, i'm 90% sure it will be Bisping and Sonnen despite how clueless they are acting about the situation. The Ultimate Fighter with Sonnen and Bisping will be sweeeeeeet! Very Happy
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Michael Bisping Discusses Controversy, Wants Sonnen Next, Blasts Marquardt Empty Re: Michael Bisping Discusses Controversy, Wants Sonnen Next, Blasts Marquardt

Post  superman_punch Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:38 am

In my opinion that would be the ideal set of coaches for a series of TUF. It would be manic and the trash talk would be class.

I'm glad he deflected the marquardt remarks I got fed up of watching him choke along time ago. I mean win or lose Bisping splits opinions and people wanna see him win or get KTFO. Marquardt on the other hand is one of those fighters I find myself either going and queueing for a beer or if I'm at home hitting the x30 speed on the sky plus.

And yes gotta love Bisping throwing the roid remarks his way, Nate isn't squeaky clean so should keep quiet and instead be planning his next 15 minutes of laying on top of an opponent.

I'm not Bispings biggest fan by any stretch but if he wants to fight Chael then please joe silva make that fight happen rather than Marquardt. Let Chael lay on him for 15 rather than Nate.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Michael Bisping Discusses Controversy, Wants Sonnen Next, Blasts Marquardt Empty Re: Michael Bisping Discusses Controversy, Wants Sonnen Next, Blasts Marquardt

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:17 pm

I find Bisping's comments on Marquart quite ironic If I'm not mistaken every time Bisping has stepped up to fight someone up the ladder he has failed miserably too from Evans to Hendo to Wand or do they not Count Very Happy.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:45 pm

For me the difference is that Bisping is not a choker, he's just not good enough....
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 pm

efils_god wrote:For me the difference is that Bisping is not a choker, he's just not good enough....

I know lot of people say he is a choker The only fight that happened was Okami he just looked lost out there he definitely choked in that one.

I mean Silva took him out quite easily, Sonnen completely dominated him for a good 13 minutes of their fight and the Leites defeat was unfortunate but rules are rules.

Like you say about Bisping I think the same applies to Nate he is simply not good enough at 185 deep down I think he knows this too hence why he has talking about 170.

Last edited by Cowboy From Hell on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:59 pm

The ease with which Sonnen will

a) out coach
    b) out trashtalk
    c) beat

Bisping will make it a very enjoyable time.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:17 pm

Cowboy From Hell wrote:
    efils_god wrote:For me the difference is that Bisping is not a choker, he's just not good enough....

I know lot of people say he is a choker The only fight that happened was Okami he just looked lost out there he definitely choked in that one.

I mean Silva took him out quite easily, Sonnen completely dominated him for a good 13 minutes of their fight and the Leites defeat was unfortunate but rules are rules.

Like you say about Bisping I think the same applies to Nate he is simply not good enough at 185 deep down I think he knows this too hence why he has talking about 170.

Yeah after writing that i thought over Nates losses, and i agree, he is also near the limit of his talents, and will likely always fail if going any higher, unless he scores a Maia-esque KO. He's only really choked in the okami fight.

I think he's higher up in talent than Bisping though.

Agree with Anfield, Sonnen will school Bisping in every department here. Should be fun to watch!!

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:08 pm

Please, please, please let this happen. bounce bounce
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:04 pm

Once Sonnen trial is done, and he avoids any prison sentence. Then they'll book him and Bisping ASAP.

Im really interested to see how the UFC MW division will shape up this year. Will Anderson confront GSP after his fight at UFC 129?? bounce

Canada would offically explode in that scenario
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:28 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:Once Sonnen trial is done, and he avoids any prison sentence. Then they'll book him and Bisping ASAP.

Im really interested to see how the UFC MW division will shape up this year. Will Anderson confront GSP after his fight at UFC 129?? bounce

Canada would offically explode in that scenario

Why would Anderson confront the loser of the fight and I don't think Anderson has the balls to confront Jake. Cool
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:42 pm

Sonnen's sentencing hearing has been put back until April 8th.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:01 pm

Still gives him time to train for a late June beating of Bisping.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:44 pm

I'd imagine he's still been training every day. Sonnen doesn't do training camps. Like all the Team Quest Portland guys, they just work non stop.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:05 pm

Sonnen is funny the comment to Anderson about him getting a black belt from the nogueiras is like getting a toy with your happy meal was the funniest trash talk of last year,

Bisping is a dick at times however I rekon sonnen may not be as bad an opponent as you guys rekon, I no I'm probably in fora little man rant from anfield the sonnen of the forum but I give him a better chance than I would against vitor who also called bisping out, sonnen doesn't have Henderson or wandy ko power, he is an awesome wrestler but bisping does ok against wrestlers he was competitive against ham mil and evans, prediction time I'd still go sonnen ud but don't see it as straight forward as most,

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:34 pm

Hamill didn't use his wrestling against Bisping. He stood with him, beat him up and got screwed. Evans took him down with ease but didn't do much when he took him down.

Neither of them is on Sonnen's level as a wrestler. Sonnen's takedowns are unstoppable. He will get you to the ground regardless of who you are. He's relentless, fast and very strong. Sonnen will take Bisping down 3 times. Once in each round. And then those rounds are over. Because not only does Sonnen have the best takedowns in the sport, his control is second to none. Once he gets a fighter on the ground they stay on the ground. Most fighters get someone to the ground and then take their time getting settled before starting to GnP. This allow the opponent a chance to get back up. Sonnen is punching almost before the takedown is complete, and he doesn't let up. Fighters struggle to get up from under him because they're too busy trying to avoid getting punched.

Sonnen's also a much better boxer than Bisping and while he doesn't have KO power, Bisping has a poor chin and Sonnen has shown he can drop people. Plus Sonnen fights as a southpaw and they're just a pain in the ass to deal with because they do everything the wrong way round!

Sonnen wins this fight with ease. If he fights like he did against Silva he could win every round 10-8. At worst he wins this 30-27. It could be as clear as 30-24.

The trash talking would be even more one-sided. Anderson never replied and Sonnen kept coming up with new material. Bisping would run his mouth and give Sonnen plenty of ammunition.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:37 pm

You make a good argument there in fairness,
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 am

30-24 would be immense!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:05 pm