THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
the_king
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
9 posters

Boxing vs MMA Grand Prix

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Boxing vs MMA Grand Prix Empty Boxing vs MMA Grand Prix

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:03 pm

Following on from the success of the now Armbar legend that was Ben's threads of UFC vs SF, now comes the age old debate of boxing vs mixed martial arts. The fights i've picked are just purely for fun Laughing

Round 1.

Heavyweight. (First round boxing rules, second round MMA)

Nikolai Valuev vs Alistair Overeem

Wladimir Klitscho vs Brock Lesnar

Vitali Klitscho vs Fedor Emelianenko

David Haye vs Cain Velasquez

Openweight.

Manny Pacquaio vs Jose Aldo

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs BJ Penn

Bernard Hopkins (PRIME) vs Nick Diaz

Roy Jones Jr. (PRIME) vs Anderson Silva

First off, take yer pick. Method of victory and round please.

Then, pick the four boxers most likely to win, two from HW and two from OW, just out of interest Smile

EDIT: Any other fights you think should be added, let me know.

Last edited by The_Axe_Emperor on Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Boxing vs MMA Grand Prix Empty Re: Boxing vs MMA Grand Prix

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:23 pm

All MMA rules or what?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Shit sorry, yea, MMA rules.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:38 pm

What about Randy-Toney ?? Laughing

Have you learned nothing from UFC 118? Atleast put Valuev against Miguel Torres or something to make it interesting....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:44 pm

Vitali or Haye might have a shot at beating Brock as Haye trains MMA and Klitschko was a Kickboxer, given the really heavy hands of both guys they would have a decent chance to land a punch and make Brock poo his pants as per usual....

Dont think id back any boxer against any MMA guy though...

It would be more fair to do it under K-1 rules, or 1 round boxing, 1 round MMA for example.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:49 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Vitali or Haye might have a shot at beating Brock as Haye trains MMA and Klitschko was a Kickboxer, given the really heavy hands of both guys they would have a decent chance to land a punch and make Brock poo his pants as per usual....

Dont think id back any boxer against any MMA guy though...

It would be more fair to do it under K-1 rules, or 1 round boxing, 1 round MMA for example.

Laughing Okay i'll change the rules, read the original post again.

Also, doesn't Manny train MMA?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:06 pm

I suppose stylistically Hopkins has the best chance against Diaz. Put his takedown defense will not be good enough, definatly not on the level of Noon's was in their 1st fight.

The MMA guys would easily beat those guys at MMA.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:12 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:

(First round boxing rules, second round MMA)

Meanie would that level the playing field? Albeit for just a round.
    Suppose the question now is how many MMA fighters can survive a round against world champion boxers in their prime.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:22 pm

Well in that case most of MMA guys get knocked out in the 1st, Anderson has the best boxing from that list of MMA fighter but prime RJJr was amazing.

Overeem has the best chance of making it out of rd 1. Fedor has his work cut out for him against Vitali. I dunno who else other than Overeem i would back to make it out of rd 1...

Maybe BJ if Mayweather fights defensive, BJ has good chin?? But like i said any MMA fighter making past boxing round beat the boxers easy in the MMA round.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:01 pm

Prime Roy Jones Jr is the greatest boxer I've ever seen. He had everything. Incredible speed, great power, great chin, cardio, hand quickness, reflexes, agility, foot movement. Everything. He should have retired after the Ruiz fight.

This boxing vs MMA thing doesn't work.

In theory it's a good idea but not in reality. Boxers in MMA are going to get taken down and tapped. MMA fighters in boxing are getting KO'd.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:05 pm

Roy Jones Jr has always reminded me of Chuck Liddell; from legendary run at the top to staying on after their prime and geetting knocked senseless, the similarities are endless.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:11 pm

valuev vs overeem would be fun like watching a pride fight.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Are any of you gonna actually give me some predictions then?

Valuev has a great chin and Overeem does not so i'd honestly back Valuev to KO him in the first, even if it was MMA rules.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:17 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Are any of you gonna actually give me some predictions then?

Valuev has a great chin and Overeem does not so i'd honestly back Valuev to KO him in the first, even if it was MMA rules.

what if its the valuev who fought holyfield then id back overeem.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:Prime Roy Jones Jr is the greatest boxer I've ever seen. He had everything. Incredible speed, great power, great chin, cardio, hand quickness, reflexes, agility, foot movement. Everything. He should have retired after the Ruiz fight.

Couldn't agree more with that.

Sugar Ray Leonard was my favorite boxer growing up,then RJJ took his place,and as much as I liked Sugar,RJJ in his prime was just on a different level to anyone.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:44 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Roy Jones Jr has always reminded me of Chuck Liddell; from legendary run at the top to staying on after their prime and geetting knocked senseless, the similarities are endless.

There's simply no comparison.

Jones was an immensely brilliant fighter with natural gifts who would have graced an era and could have matched up with any of the greats. He also went through a number of divisions.

Chuck fought in a weak division(Pride had the vastly superior LHW division) and KO'd a number of handpicked opponents. Liddell was an excellent fighter but to attempt to put him in Jones's class is insane.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:45 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:
    Michael_Bisping_Is_A_Cunt wrote:Prime Roy Jones Jr is the greatest boxer I've ever seen. He had everything. Incredible speed, great power, great chin, cardio, hand quickness, reflexes, agility, foot movement. Everything. He should have retired after the Ruiz fight.

Couldn't agree more with that.

Sugar Ray Leonard was my favorite boxer growing up,then RJJ took his place,and as much as I liked Sugar,RJJ in his prime was just on a different level to anyone.

Agree. I'm more of a Hagler fan than Sugar Ray but Sugar was a wonderful fighter.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:09 pm

Every fight boils down to what MMA fighers can make it through a round of boxing without getting stopped.

Nikolai Valuev vs Alistair Overeem: Overeem GnP 2nd, Valuev is rediculously slow and doesnt punch for his weight. I dont think he would get the job done and I think he would get taken down and Kneed to death in the 2nd

Wladimir Klitscho vs Brock Lesnar: Wlad KO 1st, Wlad is pretty much the best heavyweight around and would land a jab easily, causing Brock to panic, 1-2 combo, lights out. Wlad wins.

Vitali Klitscho vs Fedor Emelianenko: Fedor sub 2nd, Fedors defensive boxing and timing are going with age due to him slowing, but Vitali has slowed considerabally over they years too. I with Vitali didnt get put out in the 1st because I think he could have gone far but Id back Fedor to survive a round with him, if youve seen the Video of his slipping Aleks punches in russia he looks slick enough to survive.

David Haye vs Cain Velasquez: Haye KO 1st, I may regret this but I think Haye is the most dangerous Boxer in the first 3 rounds at the min. I dont honestly think many MMA fighers make it through a round, I see 99% of MMA figehrs doing the Enzo Mac. Chicken dance against him

Openweight.

Manny Pacquaio vs Jose Aldo: Pacman KO 1st, See Pacman vs Ricky Hatton. Pacman would demolish any MMA guy in the 1st Aldo included. Nervous for him tonight cause Tony Hands of Plaster Margarito is looking twice his size. Anyway Aldos Muay Thai and not his hands make him what he is trading fists with Manny will result in a KO for anyone in MMA, id back him to tiger uppercut Choi's head off!

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs BJ Penn: Penn Sub 2nd: Penn has a rediculously hard head and good Boxing, No boxer smaller than him is putting him away in a round. Penn is subbing him in 2 no questions

Bernard Hopkins (PRIME) vs Nick Diaz: Hopkins KO 1st, If it was now despite Hopkins not being much past his prime Id back Diaz no questions asked. Strangley I think Hopkins has lost the last thing to go usually which is Power. Bhops power was scary as a young man. Diaz would get sparked in a round.

Roy Jones Jr. (PRIME) vs Anderson Silva: RJJ KO 1st, Anderson can be hit and dropped, Prime RJJ will do it with his hands behind his back, Literally.
    ---------------------------------------

Quality thread, 1 round boxing, 1 MMA makes it so much more interesting. I think a few boxers who would have made interesting openweight ones would be Rocky Marciano as he Wrestled as a Kid and had collosal KO power vs Minowaman or Prime vs Prime Sakuraba at a openweight as theres not much of a difference.

1 question, Ring or Cage? MMA gloves the whole way through?
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:45 pm

can i just agree with ben on the results as he in my mind got it spot on.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:56 pm

You know i've just realised that actually Haye only weighs about 210lbs so he could cut to LHW in MMA, who'd you see as a good fight for him at LHW?

Instead of asking me questions it'd probably be a good idea to just state your opinion on both scenarios and enlighten us all mate Smile

What do you think would happen in a ring and what do you think would happen in a cage mate? And how do you think the gloves would affect the fight?

Last edited by The_Axe_Emperor on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:58 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:You know i've just realised that actually Haye only weighs about 210lbs so he could cut to LHW in MMA, who'd you see as a good fight for him at LHW?

Instead of asking me questions it'd probably be a good idea to just state your opinion on both scenarios and enlighten us all mate Smile

What do you think would happen in a ring and what do you think would happen in a ring mate? And how do you think the gloves would affect the fight?

in a ring or in a cage i think you mean, since this is a mma board im assuming its 4oz gloves. haye wpuld match up well with rampage i think.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:05 am

Yea lol i did cheers.

No no no, no matter how good Rampage's chin apparently is, hes just too slow and i'd back Haye to KO him in quick fashion.

A fight that would be very interesting would be David Haye vs Lyoto Machida!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:08 am

Nikolai Valuev vs Alistair Overeem - overeem ko any rnd i think valuev is too slow.

Wladimir Klitscho vs Brock Lesnar - wlad will stuff takedowns and punch will hurt brock every time

Vitali Klitscho vs Fedor Emelianenko - fedor will shoot straightaway and sub him

David Haye vs Cain Velasquez - cain - will be as quick as haye and with more wrestling experience will be easy pickings.

Openweight.

Manny Pacquaio vs Jose Aldo - dunno ???

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs BJ Penn - penn just through mma rules UD

Bernard Hopkins (PRIME) vs Nick Diaz - hopkins KO as diaz will try and stand.

Roy Jones Jr. (PRIME) vs Anderson Silva - silva is as quick as rjj prime and will eventually get him to the ground,

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:08 am

well axe what about shogun?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:32 am

the_king wrote:Nikolai Valuev vs Alistair Overeem - overeem ko any rnd i think valuev is too slow.

Wladimir Klitscho vs Brock Lesnar - wlad will stuff takedowns and punch will hurt brock every time

Vitali Klitscho vs Fedor Emelianenko - fedor will shoot straightaway and sub him

David Haye vs Cain Velasquez - cain - will be as quick as haye and with more wrestling experience will be easy pickings.

Openweight.

Manny Pacquaio vs Jose Aldo - dunno ???

Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs BJ Penn - penn just through mma rules UD

Bernard Hopkins (PRIME) vs Nick Diaz - hopkins KO as diaz will try and stand.

Roy Jones Jr. (PRIME) vs Anderson Silva - silva is as quick as rjj prime and will eventually get him to the ground,

some of this is just nutty.

you think Overeem would be able to succeed where 55 (ish) pro heavyweight boxers have failed, and KO Valuev in boxing rules>? and within a single round!?!?

how will Wlad stuff Brocks takedowns, he has zero wrestling experience against a really talented wrestler. Neutral

how on earth would Floyd vs BJ go the distance?? BJ will simply pick him up throw him down and choke him. you think Floyd can defend submissions against former world BJJ champion?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:58 pm