THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
kavik2
pinsman
Ginginho
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
exiledinmanila
Once Mohawked Pete
mikeyboybisping
wilksdaman
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
payneNglory1
Anfields5thKing
the_king
Moose Stuff For Money...
19 posters

Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix?

Poll

Who are you supporting?

[ 9 ]
    Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_lcap60%Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_rcap [60%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_lcap0%Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_lcap20%Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_rcap [20%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_lcap7%Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_rcap [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_lcap7%Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_rcap [7%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_lcap6%Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_rcap [6%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_lcap0%Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 15
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? Empty Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix?

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:39 pm

Out of interest, who would you like to see win the Grand Prix...

I think the winner will come from Overeem or Fedor, however I'll be hoping Werdum can shock the MMA world again.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? Empty Re: Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix?

Post  the_king Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:48 pm

i went for fedor, like you moose i think the winner will be either fedor or reem.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? Empty Re: Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix?

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:50 pm

Fedor.

Oh how fun it will be to hear Dana try and discredit whoever wins this!
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Fedor.

Oh how fun it will be to hear Dana try and discredit whoever wins this!

i agree whoever wins this will be right up there in the rankings. im glad they have put on a very strong grand prix i just hope it lives up to expectations.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:57 pm

I would like either fedor or Reem to win it,Fedor because how can you not love watching fedor,but I think Reem winning it would be better for strikeforce,also I think it would be a good thing to gain more support for K1 and hopefully this would strengthen ties between the two and allow more fighters from each side to try their hands at each sport.
    Just like I'm hoping and looking forward to seeing Saki trying his hand in strikeforce.

I just finished reading an interview with pat barry about kickboxers and MMA fighters making the transition between each sport that i thought was pretty good read.

http://mmaweekly.com/pat-barry-talks-fighter-transition-between-k-1-and-mma-feels-alistair-overeem-is-unstoppable
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:59 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Oh how fun it will be to hear Dana try and discredit whoever wins this!

I'd guess he'd probably go with...

Fedor - scared to fight in UFC
    Silva - drug cheat
    Overeem - drug cheat
    Werdum - UFC reject
    Arlovski - UFC reject, had an easy draw
    Kharitonov - had an easy draw, who cares at Kharitonov?
    Rogers - slugger, had an easy draw
    Barnett - drug cheat, had an easy draw
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 pm

Overall records of fighters in the Strikeforce heavyweight tournament, against other tournament participants:

Fabricio Werdum: 3-2
    Andrei Arlovski: 1-3
    Alistair Overeem: 2-2
    Fedor Emelianenko: 2-1
    Sergei Kharitonov: 2-1
    Brett Rogers: 1-2
    Antonio Silva: 1-0
    Josh Barnett: 0-0
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:31 pm

Obviously i'd LOVE Fedor to win it but i just don't see him making it as he has a very tough draw.

Other than Fedor my favourite is, and this is probably reflected in the post i did about the EA MMA Strikeforce tournament, Sergei Kharitonov.

Who would you like to see win the Strikeforce Grand Prix? 1162_e

The draw he's been given, i think his route to the final will play out a lot like my EA MMA tournament did;

- Picking Arlovski apart with his versatile striking and generally having a better chin than Andrei.

- Doing the exact same to Rogers if he beats Barnett, and if Barnett beats Rogers then i expect Sergei to sprawl and brawl to a decision or TKO Josh.

- The final is the tricky one though, in my tournament it was Fedor who he met and i think he's a much tougher opponent for Sergei than Overeem. I'd back Sergei to beat Overeem but Fedor i think would be too much.

I'll be cheering for both Fedor and Kharitonov but honestly i'd prefer Sergei to win it.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Couldnt pick one, I hate its not matched up so we can see Fedor/Werdum Fedor/Overeem in the final, really strange matchmaking. I think Barnett being in the final is likely...

I hope Fedor beats Bigfoor
    I hope Overeem beats Werdum
    I hope Sergei beats Arlovski
    I hope Barnett beats Rogers
    wilksdaman
    wilksdaman
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  wilksdaman Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:39 pm

I'll be cheering Fedor but I think The Reem will go all the way.
    Would also like to see Arlovski score a couple of big wins but cant imagine it happening now.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:52 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:I hate its not matched up so we can see Fedor/Werdum Fedor/Overeem in the final, really strange matchmaking.
    I think the matchmaking only makes sense if the title is on the line. Therefore Overeem v Werdum is for the title and Fedor v Silva is basically a number one contenders fight. Whoever comes through the other half of the draw will then be a worthy challenger in the final.

If the title's not on the line the belt's as good as worthless.
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:07 pm

Where's the Michael Bisping option?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:13 pm

mikeyboybisping wrote:Where's the Michael Bisping option?

You're a fucking idiot.
    mikeyboybisping
    mikeyboybisping
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  mikeyboybisping Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:19 pm

Laughing I'd actually like to see Arlovski win the tournament.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:55 pm

Would love to see Fedor take this, but I have enjoyed watching Overoid recently. Again though, getting ready for the bullshit that Dana will be spouting.
    exiledinmanila
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  exiledinmanila Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 am

Fedor or Reem for the win,Barnett outsider bet.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:31 pm

Fedor
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Coker's reasoning for lopsided tournament...

Very rarely in a tournament does it ever work out where the last two guys are the guys everyone wants to see fight. So I said to my guys, 'What about this scenario: Let them fight in the semifinals ... whoever wins moves forward.' ... Let's say Fedor does get past 'Bigfoot' and then Alistair wins his fight (against Werdum), then we're guaranteed to see a big fight.

You're dealing with eight managers, from eight different camps, wanting eight different things, but in the end, everybody wanted to fight in the tournament and they said, 'Sign me up.' From Fedor to Alistair to, you know, Andrei (Arlovski). They all wanted to be in the tournament, because in the old days, let's say, in Pride the tournament was very, very popular. I think this is kind of a throwback to that era.
    http://www.cagepotato.com/scott-coker-explains-lopsided-nature-strikeforce-tournament-bracket

Strange reasoning, if he wants to see Fedor fight Overeem why not just make the fight?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:22 pm

look at the last 2 tournemants, K1 WGP was set up for a Schilt/Overeem final..but we didnt get to see Schilt/Reem at all.

S-cup was set up for a Buakaw/Souwer final, but we didnt get to see that at all either.

in other cases, they matched up the top fighters in the first round. such as #1 and #2 ranked Gomi and Kawajiri...and it worked great.

Moose, Overeem was desperate to fight Werdum, thats why.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:39 pm

I'd be surprised if the winner of Del Rosario v Johnson doesn't get involved at some point. Injuries, failed roid tests or crazy Russian managers could quite easily throw a spanner in the works. I'm looking forward to this tournament and part of what makes them exciting is the added unpredictability. In fact it's probably the best thing Strikeforce could have done as a promotion. However, to build a tournament around a specific fight just seems daft when you can make the fight anyway. It's not as if a fight between any two of Fedor, Overeem and Werdum needs to be built up.

If the title is on the line the tournament lineup does make sense.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:27 am

I picked Fedor although I have a soft spot for Werdum.

I think the way the tournament has been organised is brilliant. After taking a lot of criticism that their HW champ has had 2 defences in 3 years, they now guarantee 3 HW title fights this year with this tournament, barring injury. If you think about the possible match ups, it is still great.

I don't really see it as a tournament as such, just a way to get their HWs fighting. The weak side of the draw is just a mini tournament for No 1 challenger to the guy holding the title at the end of the other side of the draw. This is brilliant from Strikeforce IMO.

I would like to see it go like this. Fedor wins, Overeem wins. Fedor beats Reem in semi to become SF champ. Fights Josh Barnett in the final. Wins again then rematches Werdum in his next challenge, winning again. Then he fights Valesquez who left the UFC dissillusioned with the level of competition he was asked to face. Or maybe not..... Laughing Laughing Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:43 am

Ginginho wrote:I picked Fedor although I have a soft spot for Werdum.

I think the way the tournament has been organised is brilliant. After taking a lot of criticism that their HW champ has had 2 defences in 3 years, they now guarantee 3 HW title fights this year with this tournament, barring injury. If you think about the possible match ups, it is still great.

I don't really see it as a tournament as such, just a way to get their HWs fighting. The weak side of the draw is just a mini tournament for No 1 challenger to the guy holding the title at the end of the other side of the draw. This is brilliant from Strikeforce IMO.

I would like to see it go like this. Fedor wins, Overeem wins. Fedor beats Reem in semi to become SF champ. Fights Josh Barnett in the final. Wins again then rematches Werdum in his next challenge, winning again. Then he fights Valesquez who left the UFC dissillusioned with the level of competition he was asked to face. Or maybe not..... Laughing Laughing Laughing

HAHA If Fedor finsihed his career like that I think he would go down as the greatest sportsman ever. Fuck it im voting for Fedor but im still calling Reem.

I wonder if well see 5 round fights, Arlvoski says he doesnt know if its 3 or 5 round fights, I want it to be 5 rounds because it would make it something different because as it stands its hardly a Grand Prix as people point out, 5 rounds would make it something special.

If someone is injured will V.Overeem/Sefo winner or SDR/Lavar winner get the place?
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:10 am

whats the turnover time between fights if they want them close together do 3 rnds if they are further apart yes 5 rnds would be good. last thing they need is fighters not ready in time for the next round.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:13 pm

I dont see any of the fights going the distance really so 3 rounds suites me fine overeem for the title for me ive fallen in love with him over the last 2 years! (not in a gay way)<- (and not that im a homophobe)
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:28 pm

The Strikeforce title won't be on the line in the tournament. Coker blames host city comissions. Only the final will be five rounds...

http://www.cagepotato.com/strange-twist-strikeforce-heavyweight-grand-prix-format-overeems-belt-will-not-be-grabs-during-tourn

They might as well bin the belt.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 03, 2024 4:15 am