THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
Mannpagejackson
KalDog
Mryzyz
ChelseaQuinsfan
Anfields5thKing
the_king
Cowboys From Hell
2brutal
rudeboyben84
13 posters

SF Grand Prix continues

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

SF Grand Prix continues Empty SF Grand Prix continues

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:49 pm

So Its down to the two Giants and the 2 Darkhorses! Who are you all Picking in the next round?

Sergei vs Barnett: Barnett gets Sergei down and he wins, I dont think Sergei is getting up from under him even with Sambo. Now he is older and he weighs the same as Barnett I dont think Barnett will have an easy time getting him down but I think he will at some point. I think the fight depends on wether Barnett will remember who is a striker and who is a grappler. Sergei seems slow and plodding even compared to Rogers, and Barnett better not play about with throwing kicks or playing with punches because simply put I reckon he gets his lights turned out in the open exchange if he does.

Sergei for me is one of the most under rated strikers going, The guy KO'd Arlovski, Rizzo, Overeem and Schilt!!! He beat Overeem int their more recent fight in a heavyweight bout and mate Overeem basically turn his back before the KO! Only JDS matches him for hands in the devision

Im backing Barnett to not risk an Exciting fight and get Sergei down ASAP even if he has to ride out a decision he will do it.

Overeem vs Bigfoot: Its going to be closer that I want as an Overeem fan, I said to Anfield in another post I think Overeem is stronger and in a clintch situation I expect it will be him doing Damage with Knees or bulling Bigfoot around. When he isnt being Steriod tested Overeem is 256, Bigfoot is supposed to be 280 come fight night so id agree with Anfield that Bigfoot getting on top will probabally end it.

Overeem for me isnt tough enough and hasnt the BJJ to Worry Bigfoot that he wouldnt GnP him out. Having 20lbs or so on him and using his reach so well for GnP from all postions I dont see Overeem riding more than a couple of minutes under him.

Bigfoot got stopped and put down before, but he has the Chin advantage. He does well with Straights but because Overeems defence is 2 arms vertically up forearms in front of face I think he will close the distance and throw massive looping punches and Bigfoots head isnt hard to find. Im backing Overeems TDD to come into play here and him KO Bigfoot.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

SF Grand Prix continues Empty Re: SF Grand Prix continues

Post  2brutal Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:00 pm

I like sergie how can you not the list of who's who that he has knocked out is impressive, I see Barnett getting the ud in a not very exciting fashion, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sergei caught him with a good shot, saying that Barnett has a very good chin

Reem for me, bit worried about his cardio I rekon silva will find it hard to get him down and that's where he has the best chance, reem ko rd 2

Can't wait for hendo v fedor as well
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 pm

Fedor vs Hendo is going to be an epic I dont know who to hope for! Fedor in all reality probabally owns Hendo standing or on the ground. Hendo is crap at doing much but surviving on the bottom and Fedor is probabally going to be much more powerfull given the size difference. Im thinking Fedor by Sub, their Striking style is similar in throwing the big bombs but Hendo is much easier to lay a glove on. I reckon Fedor hurts Dan Standing takes him down and armbars him to death! My most looked forward fight this year, Who you got?
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:25 pm

Exactly the same mate,

Only hope for hendo is fedor is not the fighter he was and is on the slide,

He has a punchers chance but realistically that's it

Can't wait though only jds and Cain and perhaps gsp Diaz that I am looking forward to as much
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:52 pm

After the weekend I'm not so sure Overeem will Big Foot I really hope the lay off for Overeem and Werdum's bizarre game plan was the main reasons he gassed.

I feel If that Overeem turns up later in the year Big Foot is going to dominate him and probably stop him.

I love Sergei but I can't see him beating Barnett, Barnett has to have huge mental lapse to lose this fight It is his fight to lose IMO.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:05 pm

im hoping overeem wins and then moves to ufc, but i have concerns about his gas tank when fighting.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Barnett to beat Sergei by submission.

BigFoot to maul Overeem and sub him or TKO him late.

Barnett to win the whole thing.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:33 pm

I agree completely on Sergei, he's one of my favourite fighters in the division. He's a fairly good grappler in his own right as well submitting Mike Russow for example and he's quite well trained in sambo. He's KOed some big guys as Ben mentioned including Ninja and Mighty Mo in kickboxing. He could have competed in the Olympics in boxing and has competed in the Asian games.

With all that being said, I think he's going to have a tough time against Barnett, who's going to take him down and keep him down for three rounds. I think Sergei is probably better on the ground than Barnett is standing but Barnett is such a good grappler it's going to be tough. I predict a Barnett UD win but if he isn't focused, I could see him going to sleep. I have to say, who ever wins this fight is my prediction to win the whole thing.

The second fight is a very intriguing match up. Even though I thought he was lucky against Werdum (because he did nothing), I really can't hold that fight against Reem. Big foot is a completely different match up. Standing up for me Overoid has a big advantage and I think most would agree. Big foot has a suspect chin IMO, he has been dropped a couple of times in his career, and Overoid has massive power. Big foot has to get it to the ground, because he is completely different animal on the ground. If you look at his last two fights Kyle and Fedor, he was losing when he stood with them. Kyle dropped him badly and Fedor hurt him a couple of times. When the fight went to the ground though, everything changed. Bigfoot completely and utterly dominated both of them. A lot ofc has to do with his size, but he displayed arguably the most brutal GnP today.

The Question is can Big Foot take Overoid down? Is he strong enough? Werdum is a big guy and he was swatted away. I think Big Foot has better takedown and stronger, but I don't know if he's good enough to takedown Overoid. Tough fight to predict.

As for Hendo vs Fedor. Great fight, two all time legends competing is always a wonder thing. However I think it's a pretty simple fight for Fedor. Hendo looked small against Feijo and he won't have an advantage standing or on the ground. I think Fedor beats him standing first and then takes him down and subs him.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:49 pm

Bigfoot will not be able to take REEM down in round 1.

He will probably be able to take REEM down at some point in round 2

If Bigfoot doesn't also gas (because REEM will) he will be able to take REEM down in round 3

If Bigfoot takes REEM down with 2 minutes to work it's over.

REEM has to finish Bigfoot in the first 7-8 minutes, hopes Bigfoot gasses (which he very well might) or somehow find a way of spoiling for 5 minutes whilst filled with lactic acid.

With a heavy heart, I'm starting to lean towards Bigfoot.

But still, in the predictions league I'll be going for UBEREEM BY UBERKNEE RD1!!!!!!!!!!

Barnett wins the whole thing.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Mryzyz I am shocked I thought you would stand by your man
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Barnett to beat Sergei by submission.

(ssssssh I agree with this post, don't tell Anfield though) ;-)
    Mannpagejackson
    Mannpagejackson
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Mannpagejackson Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I agree completely on Sergei, he's one of my favourite fighters in the division. He's a fairly good grappler in his own right as well submitting Mike Russow for example and he's quite well trained in sambo. He's KOed some big guys as Ben mentioned including Ninja and Mighty Mo in kickboxing. He could have competed in the Olympics in boxing and has competed in the Asian games.

With all that being said, I think he's going to have a tough time against Barnett, who's going to take him down and keep him down for three rounds. I think Sergei is probably better on the ground than Barnett is standing but Barnett is such a good grappler it's going to be tough. I predict a Barnett UD win but if he isn't focused, I could see him going to sleep. I have to say, who ever wins this fight is my prediction to win the whole thing.

The second fight is a very intriguing match up. Even though I thought he was lucky against Werdum (because he did nothing), I really can't hold that fight against Reem. Big foot is a completely different match up. Standing up for me Overoid has a big advantage and I think most would agree. Big foot has a suspect chin IMO, he has been dropped a couple of times in his career, and Overoid has massive power. Big foot has to get it to the ground, because he is completely different animal on the ground. If you look at his last two fights Kyle and Fedor, he was losing when he stood with them. Kyle dropped him badly and Fedor hurt him a couple of times. When the fight went to the ground though, everything changed. Bigfoot completely and utterly dominated both of them. A lot ofc has to do with his size, but he displayed arguably the most brutal GnP today.

The Question is can Big Foot take Overoid down? Is he strong enough? Werdum is a big guy and he was swatted away. I think Big Foot has better takedown and stronger, but I don't know if he's good enough to takedown Overoid. Tough fight to predict.

As for Hendo vs Fedor. Great fight, two all time legends competing is always a wonder thing. However I think it's a pretty simple fight for Fedor. Hendo looked small against Feijo and he won't have an advantage standing or on the ground. I think Fedor beats him standing first and then takes him down and subs him.
    Enjoyable post mate, a detailed preview. And tough to disagree with all 3 outcomes, though there is an argument for and against each fighter in each bout, this is why we love this sport!
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:58 pm

I would still say the odds are only about 55/45 in Bigfoots favour.

Not even that. Perhaps 52/48.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:46 pm

Something people should remember is Fedor doesn't perform well against smaller guys, lindland for example and definitely Arona
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:39 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Barnett to beat Sergei by submission.

So how do you think Barnett beats Big Foot?

Chels, Ninja isn't a big guy, however i agree with most of the rest of your post. Sergei is probably in my top 3 favourite HW's, i've been saying since this tournament was announced that i think he'll win. Also agree about Big Foot's chin, suspect to say the least and overrated as well.

Kaldog, how didn't Fedor do well against Lindland? Laughing that was a vintage Fedor performance! Agree about Arona though, i thought he lost that fight!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 am

Im a big fan of Sergei, but like everyone else i think Barnett is just a nightmare style matchup for him.
    After seeing the Monson fight (granted Sergei was out of shape) i think Sergei will get submitted.

how about Bigfoot/Overeem though??
    Honestly i'm finding impossible to pick one. I think Overeem will be able to land bombs on Bigfoot...who has a giant's head..will he be able to take them?
    I think Overeem will do a better job of defense compared to vs Werdum, but Bigfoot hits pretty hard and will Overeem be able to handle those cinder block fists?

What if Bigfoot tries to take down Overeem? - he is very good at takedowns from the clinch, but Overeem is BEAST in the clinch!

How about on the ground, Youngereem used to have a weakness to ground and pound, which IMO is Bigfoots biggest strength..but alot has changed.
    I think it will be difficult for either man to get a submission, i feel like they are close in grappling skill levels, maybe BF edging it.

I think Bigfoots best bet is to put Overeem on his back.

other than that, all i can say is that i cant wait! cheers
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 am

Barnett beats Sergei. I think Barnetts wrestling is vastly over-rated, but it's good enough to get Sergei down, and he'll just have his way with him there.

I think I favour Overeem slightly against Bigfoot. He's got an obvious advantage standing, but I also think he can score takedowns and work effectively from top position when he needs to. Bigfoot's good on the ground but his guard isn't anywhere near as dangerous as Werdums, and I could see Overeem doing some damage if he can settle in half guard and posture up to drop strikes.

Bigfoot has a sneaky double leg, but I'm not sure it's anything Overeem can't stuff. He's pretty good at stopping shots with underhooks. I think people put too much emphasis on the danger wrestlers pose to Overeem. He's historically had good takedown defense until he tires and gets tripped from the clinch, an area which he's obviously so much better in now. Plus, I think Overeem could fold the vast majority of fighters with a quick knee to the gut after a stuffed double leg attempt.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:30 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:

How about on the ground, Youngereem used to have a weakness to ground and pound, which IMO is Bigfoots biggest strength..but alot has changed.

Reem hasn't been on his back in years so it's hard to say what will happen once the fight goes to the ground.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:58 pm

We havnt seen his Crushing Guilitne in a few fights either, he has had a brutqal Guilitine for his whole career and I think thats another threat to anyone planning to double leg him.

Cant wait for the Semi's, Id love to see all these boys in UFC, Id especially love to see Bigfoot and Barnett School Carwin and Lesnar.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:20 am

People forget about his guillotine but it is immense
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:50 am

Just watched arona take his back body triangle him and make him tap due to a ouch or 2 he rekon reem has a bit of quit in him also card has always been his weak point
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:22 pm

2brutal wrote:Just watched arona take his back body triangle him and make him tap due to a ouch or 2 he rekon reem has a bit of quit in him also card has always been his weak point

Well, Arona is one of the best grapplers ever. Plus Overeem had a bad neck injury around that time, and Arona was hammerfisting the back of his neck, that's why he tapped. The injury was also why his corner threw the towel in against Nogueira in their second fight.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:39 pm

Yeah I heard that just saying

Glad you raised it though because there seems to be a excuse for almost every loss of his

From him struggling to make cuts to the extent that he was pissing blood to make it either Ben or mryzyz stated that from his neck injuries, or lack of cardio been used as an excuse

I'm no hater I'm a fan of his but he has a lot of ? Marks about him
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:52 pm

I hope that both fights will answer questions raised. I would like to see Barnett pushed a bit, all the previous fight proved, was that Rogers is a very average fighter, with a bit of a punch.

With regards to the Roid/Bigfoot fight, I cannot wait for this one, this should, hopefully answer whether Overeem still has that weakness in his game, I think that Silva certainly has the strength and ability to take Overeem down, but, as has been mentioned earlier, Overeem is a beast in the clinch. I think that Silva's gameplan will surely be to try and take the fight to the floor, and put Overeem under a lot of pressure, I would like to see Overeem come through this and I think he'll take a decision.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:33 pm