THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Anfields5thKing
ChelseaQuinsfan
6 posters

Sonnen rips on Silva, GSP and Lesnar

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Sonnen rips on Silva, GSP and Lesnar - Page 2 Empty Re: Sonnen rips on Silva, GSP and Lesnar

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:02 am

Being injured and poor doesn't affect head movement.

He didn't outgrapple Machida AT ALL. He got taken down with ease. Getting back up is a lot easier than taking someone down if neither of you are wrestlers.

Sonnen is a multi-time all american, 2 time national champion, 2 national runner up. Now, just to repeat, for FOUR straight years he was one of the top 2 wrestlers in the country in his weight class.

You are, as usual, completely wrong about Randleman's style of wrestling. He's a free style wrestler, not a traditional collegiate wrestler. Traditional collegiate wrestling is known as folkstyle. Everyone in college wrestles the same style you complete numpty. If they wish to compete internationally, or in other competitions they then make a decision on whether to go freestyle or greco. You didn't even know how good Randleman was until I told you anyway! You had no idea what he'd won or how many times he'd been an all-american. Sonnen's college accomplishments match, if not outrank Randlemans and his silver medal at the world championships is more impressive than being an Olympian who didn't medal, or an Olympic alternative. Sonnen is the best wrestler in MMA and only Askren can compare to him. Just because he gave Nate the average a beating it's no reason to try and discredit him. And you shouldn't try to debate wrestling when you know very little about it.

Coleman's not even in the discussion.

Fitch is a greco-wrestler, have you ever watched him fight??. As are; Couture, Severn, Frye, Henderson, Lindland, Shields, Maynard and now Askren, who has seen the error of his ways following his olympic disaster, is wrestling a greco style. Greco is more effective in MMA. Would you like to compare championships won??

Ofc it does, he was awful in the Coleman fight and wasn't focused so he didn't use his head movement. With his knee injured he couldn't move around as fluid and he was much slower.

If he wanted to he could out grapple Machida with EASE. As it is, he prefers the standup and would much prefer to KTFO of his opponent instead.

Im really confused with the wrestling thing, I though Collegiate wrestling was also called freestyle wrestling. Either way I wasn't trying to say you were wrong so I don't know why your getting angry. No I didn't know how good Randleman was before you told me, I thought he was a bum. So? As frustrating as it is to debate with you sometimes, I can't deny I do learn a lot from them.

If its more impressive why didn't Sonnen get into the olympics?

Do you really think I would discredit someone who beat one of my favorite fighters. No im not a bitter little person, in fact I would give credit to that fighter because it shows my said fighter can only be beaten by top opponents. I liked Sonnen before you did anyway, it was only a few weeks ago were you spouting stuff like he's going to sleep quick and shit like that. I just think he would get beaten by Shogun, which he clearly would.

If Greco-Roman is really more effective why do more people go to freestyle?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Sonnen rips on Silva, GSP and Lesnar - Page 2 Empty Re: Sonnen rips on Silva, GSP and Lesnar

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:00 pm

Sonnen was injured for the Olympic trials, competed anyway and lost. He was given an alternate spot. The worlds are just as competitive as the Olympics in most sports. Wrestling is one that always attracts the top talent because there's so little money to be made in wrestling.

Freestyle has more tournaments because it's "cooler" and seen as more modern. your more naturally gifted and explosive wrestlers, Kos, Randleman, GSP, and the like, flourish in freestyle because technique isn't always needed to get the takedown. they can also start further away because they have that incredible first step. GSP's first step to takedown is absolutely amazing. What how he closes the gap in a split second. Plus, for a lot of guys, it's a way into professional wrestling. For MMA, Greco is what you want, especially in a cage, because it's all about upper body control. The only thing freestyle gives over Greco is double legs, and most greco guys have that anyway from college.

I'd been guilty of looking at Sonnen's fights with Maia and the first with Filho. I didn't rate him as a fighter until after the Silva fight. He's always been a great wrestler, but after the Silva fight I went back and looked over his career and he's a much better fighter than people think. His boxing is very good. Everything about him, with the exception of submissions is top top class. The only other weakness he has is that he cuts badly. Possibly worse than anyone in the sport other than young Nick Diaz.

Machida has better Judo, better takedowns, better Sumo and is just as good on the ground. Shogun is stronger and more naturally explosive but he's not a better grappler.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:38 am