THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
Heterocyclic
james_hampton
payneNglory1
7 posters

Q&A With Chael Sonnen on MMA,Silva and Cr-Cop

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Q&A With Chael Sonnen on MMA,Silva and Cr-Cop Empty Q&A With Chael Sonnen on MMA,Silva and Cr-Cop

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:44 pm

FO: Anderson has finally started speaking English in interviews - only since you outed him! People doubted you at first but you have been proven right. How nice is it to be vindicated and what other insider secrets can you tell us?

I couldn't care less about the "vindication," and yes, there are plenty of locker room secrets, but that's the only gem you get for now.

FO: Standing for a political party of somewhat conservative leanings, have you encountered any problems at all with voters or Republican party members who consider mixed martial arts to be unpalatable, brutal etc?

Yes. Look, we have to stop saying MMA isn't brutal, it is. Accept it and offer no apology for it. When I got this sport legalized in Oregon and forced the Oregon Boxing Commission to extend to MMA, I told a judge and a Senate sub-committee that this sport is both brutal and barbaric. Understand this: neither of those things are a crime, and neither warrants an explanation.

FO: I understand that you still teach a junior wrestling class. Is there any particular motivation for that or is it simply something you enjoy doing?

Coaching is long and thankless, but it is needed. Wrestling is a poor mans sport and the kids I have would be on the streets if we didn't give them a place to come each day. The worst thing a young person can have is free time.

FO: The UFC is very keen on legitimization and on shedding the old ‘bloodsport’ image that it once had. The UFC top brass must be quite excited at the prospect of having an elected representative of the people on their roster? (The only other fighter I can think of who has achieved similar is Mirko Filipovic, who was elected to the Croatian parliament)

A member of the Croatian parliament couldn't get his own mother out of a speeding ticket. What are they going to do, lead their 200-strong military into a battle? My hometown could invade Croatia in 15 minutes and while Mirko stands there holding a dart and a spitball, you will understand what he was really elected to.

FO: Anderson Silva has in the past been provoked into apparent apoplexy by the slightest hint of disrespect from his opponents. The ‘Dance in Abu Dhabi’ was ostensibly prompted by Maia, a decorated BJJ practitioner, having the audacity to suggest in a pre-fight interview (and in placid fashion) that he may submit Anderson.
    With this in mind, Anderson will presumably be scaling new heights of indignation by the time your meeting with him rolls around. Is this part of the plan?

I quit reading the question as soon as I read the word "disrespect." That's street talk. Kids are shooting one another and citing "respect," as the motivation. Adults don't worry about respect. We worry about ourselves and our families.

FO: You’ve probably been asked this a million times but what drew you into MMA fighting? Was it simply an extension of your wrestling and a desire to continue competing after college, or something more?

It's the only game I know to play. I've never seen a football game or a baseball game. I know what they are, but I've never seen a game. You can add basketball and hockey to that list. I'm not a sports guy, and I don't know how to golf or play tennis.

FO: The middleweight title is one of only three UFC belts currently held by non-Americans. Is it your duty as a Republican to return this belt to the motherland?

No

FO: And finally, is there any message you would care to give out before we go?

When you are the best fighter in the world they have a name for you. They don't call you a great fighter, they call you Chael Sonnen.

Chael Sonnen challenges Anderson Silva for the middleweight belt on August 7th at UFC 117 in Oakland, California.
    james_hampton
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Q&A With Chael Sonnen on MMA,Silva and Cr-Cop Empty Re: Q&A With Chael Sonnen on MMA,Silva and Cr-Cop

Post  james_hampton Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:58 am

made me laugh about the greatest mma fighter, he's a dick but i will be watching because he is a dick and so will a lot of other people im guessing. I reckon silva 3rd round tko
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Q&A With Chael Sonnen on MMA,Silva and Cr-Cop Empty Re: Q&A With Chael Sonnen on MMA,Silva and Cr-Cop

Post  Heterocyclic Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:11 am

Haha, I love Chael Sonnen. Everything he says is genius. And you can clearly tell, even in text format, that he's taking the piss at all times.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:17 pm

Sonnen Bores me, I dont see why he doesnt fight Belfort and let Anderson fight at 205 till a propper challenger is decided.

I love how Sonnen does a few interviews and comes across as a real character and gets a title shot. Kos does the same, acts the bad guy and earns a shot despite not being to pranked... UFC and WWE have so much in common, its shocking that people get such recognition off being a personality rather than as a figher.

To put Sonnen into perspective he got schooled 3 times by Jeremy Horn, Filho tapped him, Maia Tapped him, clearly his lack of BJJ means Anderson will probabally do the same if he doesnt get KO'd standing. He hasnt a chance against Anderson and is IMO the most over talked about over hyped figher in MMA today.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:18 pm

Ok and he cant finish for shit, hasnt KO power or Subs so do does anyone really see him going 25mins with Anderson without getting stopped? I think he will be lucky to make it past the 2nd round.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:39 pm

I think thats a little harsh. Miller, Okami and Nate were all good wins, Belfort was out injured so he was the next best choice. Ideally they would have fought and Silva would have gone to 205 but I think this fight was made for Dana to make a point to Silva. Basically this is punishment for the shit he pulled against Maia. I'm not saying thats right but thats what it seems like to me, because Silva wanted GSP.

It's quite harsh to say he has a lack of BJJ. Maia and Filhio both have excellent BJJ, much better than Silva's BJJ. Its not comparable, they are both levels above him. Horn has 53 wins by submission! And some of those are actually against good fighters. Im not sure about this but I think only Severn and Fulton have more.

Sonnen can do okay against Silva, better than what anyone else has done recently. I can only hope that if Silva isn't in the mood, Sonnen will provide a better account of himself than Leties or Maia did. If Silva is in the mood, I give it two rounds max.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:57 pm

Eh I still dont rate anyone Horn beats 3-0, he Drew with Gono and went 1-1 with Prangley... I guarentee he will be a flash in the pan success, he will get his shot, look piss poor and go the way of Leites and other crap fighers who didnt diserve their shot... Id bet he will slide down the rankings after this.

I just hate UFC's matchmaking sometimes, why wouldnt this have made more sence....

Number 1 contender fight: Sonnen vs Belfort (who Sonnen would only have to wait 1 extra month for)

Lhw: Anderson Silva vs T.Silva

There you go, that makes more sence to me, why have Anderson fight Both Belfort and Sonnen if they want him to move up a devision.

GSP likewise, How is Kos the number 1 contender when Fitch and Alves are ranked above him and the winner of their fight is clear number 2 in the world! Rolling Eyes

GSP would be better to fight say Belcher or Palhares at 185lbs to test the water there as oppose to having Kos hype a fight for months that no one really cares about....

Really dont understand why Anderson and GSP arent fighting in the devision above a little more or why we dont see more catchweight fights, say a smaller Mw like Akiyama wou could meet GSP at 177
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:20 pm

I dont rate Sonnen that highly, however he beat Nate so he deserves the shot, that fight was built up as an eliminator for the title shot so Sonnen deserves his chance.

Vitor has a history of pulling out or getting injured before fights, I think Dana doesnt want to risk another Silva vs Belfort until vitor has been in the octagen again and proved he can get through a training camp unscathed.

I dont think Anderson Silva will be moving weights, it has been talked about for a long time, he had the Forest fight and then that's it, the LHW division is stacked there are a few up and comers that the UFC are building up, they can make a lot of money without Anderson being in there.

It makes more sense for UFC to keep Anderson at middlewight, no doubt they will try and get a couple more wins on Belcher and Bispings record and give them shots also.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:23 pm

I think Kos has a good a chance as any against GSP, think Kos will get beat and I don't like the guy but at least we are unlikely to see 25 minutes of lay and pray again.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:28 pm

I care about the GSP-KOS fight Razz

Infact i say that Koscheck has he best chance of anyone at 170 lbs to beat GSP.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:15 pm

To be fair he has improved a lot but I see what your saying. I actually really like the matches you came up with, Silva vs Silva would be a great fight. Better than who Thiago is currently stuck with! GSP vs Sexyama at 185 would make a lot of sense as well. The UFC's matchmaking is terrible sometimes, Silva is normally good but often he gets together terrible fights.

Outside a big right hand, I don't see Kos providing much trouble for GSP. Ye he is a great wrestler but he won't take GSP down. GSP actually has some very underated takedown defence, his balance is excellent. GSP has already shown he can take Kos down. On the feet, Kos has a big right hand but thats it. Apparantly GSP is really training on his Muay Thai so he can improve his standup and become more dangerous standing up. He is training with Phil Nurse, who I've heard is the best Muay Thai coach in the US. The GSP vs Kos fight is a good 6 months away! GSP has plenty of time to improve.

Kos has two ways to win. A big right hand or by PURE LnP. If people say GSP against Hardy was LnP, what can you call what Kos did to Daley? Atleast GSP kept passing and was actually looking to finish the fight at all time, no matter how poorly he executed it. Kos did absolutley nothing for 15 minutes.

The biggest challenges to GSP at 170 are Alves, Diaz and Thiago. I'd pick GSP to beat all three comfrtably but they are the one's with the best chance. Possibly Shields as well but his lack of standup would cost him in the fight.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:15 pm