THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
Moose Stuff For Money...
The_Axe_Emperor
Anfields5thKing
payneNglory1
8 posters

Which match ups at 118 are you most looking forward too ?

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Which match ups at 118 are you most looking forward too ? Empty Which match ups at 118 are you most looking forward too ?

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:38 pm

Every time I think of the Randy - Toney fight,I feel the hairs on the back of my neck rise,this is the fight I can't wait for but at the same time,the one I am most nervous about.

I'm hoping that the real BJ turns up this time,but I still think Edgar is going to be a hard test for him,I'm hoping this turns out to be a really technical(striking and on the ground)high paced fight,I can't see how this fight can turn out to be anything but good.

Also I think the Kenny - Maynard fight should be good.Kenny's skills just seem to be just getting better and better and hopefully he can stop maynard from laying and praying on top of him for 3 rds and turn this into a great fight.

Looking at the card from top to bottom,there should be some really good fights,I'm hoping Lauzon kicks the shit out of Gabe(save him some money on colonics) and hope Diaz vs Davis turns out to be a war.

I'm also interested to see how Aldo's training partner,Amilcar Alves goes on.
    Looking at the prelim fights I have a feeling that the wrestlers will have most success.(hope I'm wrong and Winner,Nick,Miller and Alves all win and look impressive doing so)
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Which match ups at 118 are you most looking forward too ? Empty Re: Which match ups at 118 are you most looking forward too ?

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm not sure whether i want to see Toney-Couture. I have a horrible feeling that Toney is going to spark him early.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Which match ups at 118 are you most looking forward too ? Empty Re: Which match ups at 118 are you most looking forward too ?

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:51 pm

Thats one of the reasons im so looking forward to it Anfield, just for that slight chance that Toney has off turning Randy's lights out! I'm obviously looking forward to the Main and Co-main events but other than that the Maia fight should be a cracker, as should the other two on the main card.

This card is STACKED.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:55 pm

I have that same sick feeling also Anfeild,the 1st 30 seconds or so,or atleast untill Randy gets the takedown are going to be unbearable pale

really looking forward to this card though cheers
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:14 pm

I think it's a shame they moved the Palhares-Nate fight. I think with it, Florian-Maynard, Toney-Couture and Penn-Edgar this could have been the best UFC card in a long long time.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:23 pm

Yes it would

still atleast the Palhares - Nate fight should make a great fight night main event,it's not as if this card has taken a huge knock because of it,it's still stacked.
    Maia's vs Miranda is not good enough to headline a fight night but is a very good replacement fight,as a main card filler.

I hope there will be a good turn out on Chat box for this one.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 pm

I might even make a chatbox appearance. Kids are with their mother until Tuesday so no need to be up early.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:54 pm

Nice 1
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:47 pm

Just got ESPN back so I might be back on. cheers

Unsurprisingly Toney v Couture is the fight I'm looking forward to. Hopefully Florian will finish Maynard, I'd be dissapointed if Maynard manages to wrestle his way to a decision.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:13 am

Ive finally decided to get ESPN lads cheers Its getting installed tomorow, the guy better show up and not cancel on me!! lol

Its funny though as since setanta went bust, there have been over 20 ufc events, and i have probably not watched 5 or 6 shows live !!!! Laughing

YOU WIN DANA !! YOU GOT ME ! Laughing

Oh looks like a great night on chatbox, Payne please join me and calm my nerves about Randy fight. I think Maia is going to lose aswell BTW. Crying or Very sad
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:21 am

I'll be there,no worries

I don't know how much good i'll be at calming your nerves for the Randy fight,come fight time I'll be shitting myself.

I think Maia will be OK though,he might have to weather abit of a storm before he grabs a hold of Miranda,but once he gets him,he'll pull some crazy shit out of his bag of tricks and we'll all be talking about how great his Jits is and theres no chance he'll not get SOTN with a finish like that.

Hope that helped abit with Maia Wink
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:52 am

We'll see its just that my mate who is what u call a "hardcore fan" and really knows his shit. Has been telling me to pick Miranda and make a killing with the bookies.

He's not usually wrong, the bastard....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:16 am

Not sure on what basis he thinks Miranda is going to win this fight. Maia is a top 10 MW. Miranda is top 30 at best. He could owned by Gerald Harris. Fair enough he beat Loiseau but so have nine others including the mighty Ed Herman and Jason Day. They are about Miranda's level.

Heard one comical comment of "oh but he's a bjj black belt, that cancels out Maia's advantage". This is DEMIAN MAIA we're talking about. The best BJJ practicioner in the UFC.

Miranda is getting tapped.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:29 am

He reckons Miranda has much better and dangerous stand up compared to maia, and his greco roman will make his difficult to take down in the clinch just like the miller fight.

I told him but did u not see what Maia did to Sonnen to take him down, he said sonnen was just off guard. Maia would struggle to take Sonnen down like that ever again.. (or something like that)

And also reckons Maia will struggle with the recent(ish) change in his opponents as he likes to study his opponents alot.

He by no means thinks it a cert win, but does reckon Miranda will cause a lot of problems, and sees him as a good bet.

Ur thoughts lads ?
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:34 am

With a fighter like Maia whose style is so predicated on being really good at one thing, I think there's always a chance of an upset win. I don't know if losing to Harris is a great blemish to Miranda's record, Harris is 17-2 and hasn't lost in three years, if anything he's a bit of a wild card until we see more of him, as is Miranda imo.

Having said that, Maia by submission.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:39 am

There was alot of hype about Miranda when he was making his UFC debut.(Harris kinda fucked that up abit,he looked good against Loiseau though)

He is a big 6'3er that can strike,but thats not his main game,he's a Free style/Greco Wrestler guy who being Brazilian,has a BJJ background also,so theres a good chance this fight hits the deck and when it does,well thats maia's world,no matter how good Miranda's blackbelt is.

He's good on his feet and i expect him to try and keep it standing and use his ground skills for defence only,but he's not the kind of striker,that you really expect to see blow someone away in a round,as you can see when you look at his record,quite a few guys have took him into the later rds(they all lost though Smile )

Maia will get this fight down to the ground in the 1st rd and if it goes into the second rd,that will just mean it will be all the much more easier for Maia to do it again. cheers

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:51 am

redmeanie77 wrote:He reckons Miranda has much better and dangerous stand up compared to maia, and his greco roman will make his difficult to take down in the clinch just like the miller fight.

I told him but did u not see what Maia did to Sonnen to take him down, he said sonnen was just off guard. Maia would struggle to take Sonnen down like that ever again.. (or something like that)

And also reckons Maia will struggle with the recent(ish) change in his opponents as he likes to study his opponents alot.

He by no means thinks it a cert win, but does reckon Miranda will cause a lot of problems, and sees him as a good bet.

Ur thoughts lads ?

Maia has had plenty of time to study Miranda who has shown he can be taken down by guys like Jeremy Horn.

It's daft of him to suggest that Maia could not take Sonnen down again. Maia has good takedowns against everyone not named Anderson Silva. Maia's style is to catch people off guard, it's the same with a lot of BJJ guys. Nothing to do with Sonnen making a mistake, Maia just timed it perfectly.

Maia never really tried to take Miller down until the later rounds, he wanted to work his stand-up. He did, and he won. He could have taken Miller down and subbed him early, but he was working on expanding his skill set.

Sun, Harris is 17-2 with the only two decent fighters(and decent is being kind) on his record being Benji Radach who batter him, and Miranda.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:02 am

Lets hope so guys...
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:05 am

We haven't mentioned Diaz-Davis which could be a fight of the year contender.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:24 am

Oh that is going to be a real slug fest. But you wouldnt be suprised if it ended by sub either Laughing

Cant wait for it.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:46 pm

looks like im the only one who couldnt care less about Toney/Couture!!!

actually that is not strictly true. i am mildly annoyed that its getting a co-main event slot.

edit: forget that, its so hypocritical of me considering the types of fights i enjoy in pride and dream. tongue
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:33 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:looks like im the only one who couldnt care less about Toney/Couture!!!

actually that is not strictly true. i am mildly annoyed that its getting a co-main event slot.

edit: forget that, its so hypocritical of me considering the types of fights i enjoy in pride and dream. tongue

Fuck mate me and you would be grinning ear to ear to see Minowaman main event a Dream event fighting a boxer of his Level. Laughing Imagine Minowaman vs Holyfield!

Like Anfield said Diaz vs Davis has fight of the night written all over it, both havnt had a dull moment in their careers and there styles match up so well. If anyone hasnt picked that as FOTN in their predictions id be shocked!

The Couture vs Toney fight is the one im dieing to see, Toney isnt the best Hw around but he lost to Peter is fighting for the Title right now and Dropped Wlad Klitschko multiple times and Toney looked good enough in defeat, he wasnt schooled by any means, against Peter and Holyfield you could see he has cracking punch resistance and great handspeed and footwork for a guy his size. I think Couture is going to be shocked at his speed too.

I find it interesting Couture has even talked about using a little standup to work into takedowns etc.. and this is Fucking madness. Id put Minowan a huge favorite agaisnt him because he would roll into a single leg to get the grappling started. Coutures best bet is a Sap time bull rush and initiate a clintch ASAP.

Will weight be a factor too im thinking?? Couture is 217ish for this he said and thought Toney could be up round 230-240 which (240 is heavier than he was boxing at and I think he was trying to pile on weight to deal with a lesnar sized heavy!) I heard Toney in an interview say he was 218lbs. I dont think he would sacrifise speed for a lower center of gravity in this one.... Anyone know when the Weighins are?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:47 am