THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

3 posters

Report: Sonnen has been given an immediate rematch with Anderson !!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Report: Sonnen has been given an immediate rematch with Anderson !! Empty Report: Sonnen has been given an immediate rematch with Anderson !!

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:57 am

A rematch for the UFC middleweight title between Anderson Silva and Chael Sonnen appears to be on the cards for the end of the year after the trash talking fighter from Oregon was granted an immediate rematch despite tapping in the fifth round at UFC 117 earlier this month.
    According to Lance Pugmire of The Los Angeles Times, the rematch will go down on either the promotions New Year’s Eve or Super Bowl weekend card, which are normally held in Las Vegas.

Much of this will hinge on the recovery of the champion who reportedly has either bruised or broken ribs, depending on which reports you decide to believe. Stay tuned to MMABay for more on this as we get it.

Some people may be against the idea of immediate rematches, but if u ask me if it is warranted in this case then i will say i dont know. But do i want to see it? Then my answer would be hell Yes !.

I hope this is true and means Anderson returns to action sooner than expected.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Report: Sonnen has been given an immediate rematch with Anderson !! Empty Re: Report: Sonnen has been given an immediate rematch with Anderson !!

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:14 am

Doubt Anderson will be back in time, and Sonnen doesn't want a lay-off that long, he's said he wants to fight within the next 3 months. Sonnen-Belfort and then Silva vs the winner at the superbowl weekend event is more likely IMO.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Report: Sonnen has been given an immediate rematch with Anderson !! Empty Re: Report: Sonnen has been given an immediate rematch with Anderson !!

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:41 am

BELFOTR VS SONNEN not happening....

“I talked to Lorenzo (Fertitta) this week and will return in November. I just asked him to not be (on the November card in Germany). I’m tired of traveling. I would like to return to fighting here in America. According to my conversation with Lorenzo, my opponent will not be Sonnen, but another guy that will be decided soon.”

“With the help of Shawn Tompkins, Ray Sefo and all the partners here, I hope to reach my best shape soon. I am eager to return to my training routine as well as very happy here.”
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:56 pm

Sounds like he's ducking Sonnen. He won't be getting the first shot at Silva so.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:26 pm

Looks like the rematch is set, they probably told Sonnen to wait for Anderson, Or Anderson recovery is going better than what was expected.

MMAJUNKIE:

Despite his loss at UFC 117, Chael Sonnen has earned an immediate rematch with UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva.

UFC president Dana White, who's busy with a final media blitz for this week's UFC 118 event in Boston, today confirmed the plans while on ESPN's "SportsCenter," though a date has not been determined for the rematch.

Sonnen dominated four and a half rounds of the Aug. 7 fight before Silva scored a come-from-behind triangle-choke victory in the fifth and final round.

As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reported immediately after the Oakland, Calif. fight, White acknowledged fans' desire for the rematch, but initially he was noncommittal about Silva (27-4 MMA, 12-0 UFC) vs. Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) II.

"It's definitely a rematch I think people are going to want to see," White said after the event "Looking at Twitter, everybody is saying, 'Rematch. Rematch.' We'll see what happens. Vitor is waiting to fight right now, too. We could do the rematch with Chael, but we'll see what happens. We'll see how it goes."

White's initial reluctance may have been in part due to Vitor Belfort, who was slated to fight Silva until an injury opened the door for Sonnen. Belfort is expected to fight in November, but he's no longer fighting for a title.

Sonnen, of course, heavily hyped the UFC 117 bout with an endless stream of trash-talk. Many fans snickered at Sonnen's bold predictions of victory – Silva, after all, had soundly defeated the 11 previous opponents the UFC put before him – but according to CompuStrike, Sonnen scored 51 strikes to Silva's two in the first round. And through three rounds, he had opened a 218-to-11 gap.

Sonnen continued the lopsided beatdown until the fifth round, when Silva capitalized on one of his opponent's few mistakes and secured a fight-ending triangle choke at the 3:10 mark of the final round.

The rematch is now expected to take place later this year or in early 2012.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:21 am