THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
kavik2
Heterocyclic
manschesthair_utd
Anfields5thKing
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
Toquinho
redmeanie77
12 posters

Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !!

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !! Empty Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !!

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 pm

UFC President, Dana White has confirmed that UFC middleweight champion, Anderson Silva will square off with Chael Sonnen in his next fight inside the octagon, warning “The Spider” if he ever fights the way he did in Abu Dhabi again he’ll cut him from the promotion.
    Speaking via ESPN’s Jim Rome Is Burning, Dana said:

“We’ll find out in his next fight if I got through to him or not. He’s got a real tough fight coming up because his next fight is going to be against Chael Sonnen. And Chael Sonnen is one of these guys who’s not going to lay back, not going to do what these other guys did. When he’s been in this position when these types of fights have happened, he’s been against real good jiu jitsu guys, guys who want to get the fight to the ground. Well, Chael Sonnen is going to want to take this fight to the ground, but he’s going to double-leg him and bring him down.”

“Anderson Silva absolutely demolished Rich Franklin twice, destroyed Dan Henderson, destroyed Nate Marquardt, then moved up to 205 and destroyed the guys he fought there. Then you see fights like this and it’s just unexplainable.”

“Personally I think he was embarrassed by what he did that night. Maybe he had a mental breakdown — I don’t know what happened in the ring. All I can say is I know his next opponent isn’t going to be a guy who’s going to lay back. Chael Sonnen is going to take it to him, and hopefully we never see that again. If we do, I’ll tell you this: If he ever acts like that again in the ring, I will cut him. I don’t care if he’s the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world, I don’t care if he is the middleweight champion. I will cut him, absolutely.”

Silva claimed he was disrespected by his last opponent, Demian Maia before their fight this past weekend, influencing the way he approached the fight. In Sonnen he faces one of the biggest trash-talkers in the business today, making his reaction to what is to come very interesting indeed.

It is Sonnen's duty to the people to take out Anderson..
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !! Empty Re: Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !!

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:56 pm

MMAjunkie is saying that is taking place at UFC 117 in August, and apperently Vitor is still on the shelf till october.

He must have aggravated his injury as i remembar Vitor saying his recovery is near complete.
    Toquinho
    Toquinho
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !! Empty Re: Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !!

Post  Toquinho Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:58 pm

i would rather have seen the belfort fight to be honest. Sonnen seems to entertain more in interviews than he does in fights. Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:08 am

AH for fuck sake! Sonnen has only been hyped after 1 big win, seriously lads I dont think ive ever seen people jump on a bandwaggon so quickly. Sonnen beat Nate Marquardt... and an out of sorts Filho and that about it. Guy lost to Jermey Horn 3 times and didnt make it past the 2nd round once!!

Sonnen has some seriously shit losses on his record and Maia beat him in the 1st round only last year, Anderson is going to make him look bad.

There was a poll on some MMA website asking who Anderson's next opponent should be...

In included, Lesnar, GSP, Sonnen, Mir, Belfort.... and guess what Belfort was TOP! Seriously over GSP and Lesnar.

Fans clearly want to see Belfort fight Anderson and Belfort will force Anderson to make a fight of it. Belfort could land a KO blow. Maia connected a few times and he is shite on the feet. Anderson would likely get tagged from Vitor at some point and Vitor has Dynamite in his gloves, What is Sonnen going to do? Really... Grind out a 25mins decision while avoiding getting KO'd or Subbed? Dont see it myself.

Dana needs to listen to the fans, Anderson should be fighting Mir or Belfort, those are two far more interesting fights.
    Toquinho
    Toquinho
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Toquinho Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:22 am

i think your pretty much right there ben. Sonnen surprised me in beating Marquadt, although i did expect either Nate to either have better td defence or to be more of a threat off his back than he actually was. However i think he has pretty much managed to talk himself into a title shot.
    He is a good wrestler but thats it. Anderson is good enough off his back anyway. And if somehow sonnen did pull it off it would probably be in a ridiculously boring fight.
    I wanted to see him against Belfort, but if not i was hoping he might get given a lhw to maybe give him a challenge that might motivate him a bit more
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:24 am

Also has wins over Dan Miller and former top 5 ranked Okami. If Belfort is on the shelf, then it has to be Sonnen and he deserves it.

Its not like Belfort has been a wrecking machine at 185 is it?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:31 am

"Its not like Belfort has been a wrecking machine at 185 is it?" Laughing

Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !! Belfortcreditstrikeforce
    Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !! Belfort
    Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !! Vitor-Belfort-vs-Rich-Franklin-mma-8261115-550-367

Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !! 11-impact!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 am

Rich was at 195 lbs, was the Lindland fight 185?? Probably was, i cant remember.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:39 am

Yeah Lindland was 185, he has absolutly turned everyone lights out recently, Belfort is such a crazily explosive heavy handed striker, I cant think of Anyone Anderson has faced who would be as much of a threat on the feet. Shame Sonnen got the fight.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:02 am

Guy lost to Jermey Horn 3 times and didnt make it past the 2nd round once!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what, Horn's a legend Evil or Very Mad

Seriously though, I think belfort would probably have been a more exciting fight and there would be no way Silva could pull the shit he did against Maia against Belfort. Not if he wants to stay awake anyway, against Sonnen there is always that chance.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:59 am

Dan Henderson hits A LOT harder than Vitor. Vitor's thing is speed. He's not knocking Anderson out with one punch, he'll need to land a few and i don't see it happening.

Sonnen has very little hope in this fight. Completely underserved title shot. Anderson to clown him. I really hope he fights the exact same way he did against Maia. Let's see if Dana has the balls to cut him. If i was Scott Coker i'd offer Anderson half a million dollars to fight that way again. Dana cuts him, Silva walks right into Strikeforce and some great fights. Mousasi, Mo, Hendo, Diaz, Shields, Overeem and Fedor.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:10 am

i agree with anfield.

Chael is a poor man's Hendo, without the KO power or sub defence pirat

Unlike fellow bjj blackbelt Marquadt, Anderson has a good guard game and should submit him if it goes there.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:25 am

it begins....... Twisted Evil

"It was hard to watch…I didn’t watch the whole thing, but I tried. I saw the beginning and I saw the end. I was having plenty of conversations during it, I’m in the same boat as the rest of the world. Who cares? Nobody cares about Anderson Silva."

"He talked about retiring and nobody cared. He talked about going heavyweight and nobody cared. Now he talks about going to 205, and nobody cares! I did an autograph signing with Anderson Silva, there was a line around the building to get to my room. You could have heard a rat piss on cotton in his room! Nobody was in there. Nobody cares about Anderson Silva, it’s the hardest sell in the world. Nobody shows up to see him. If BJ Penn wasn’t on that card that building’s empty Saturday night."

"I’ve stuck my finger in this guy’s chest for 3 and a half years and he’s fought everyone in the world that isn’t named Chael Sonnen. I can’t tell you what a nuisance he is. This isn’t like some exciting thing to get to fight him, it’s just truly an annoyance, and I’m looking forward to it being over with just so I can move on and be done with the jerk."
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:51 am

Does Sonnen realize that until he beat Nate that nobody cared about him?? He dryhumped Okami for 3 rounds and did similar to the worst version of Filho EVER. The real Filho kicked his ass and Maia made him his bitch. Stuck his finger in his chest for 3 years?? Does the gimp know he was fighting in the B-League of middleweight up until the WEC abolished the 185 division?? And NOBODY goes to watch Chael Sonnen fight or sign autographes.
    Heterocyclic
    Heterocyclic
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Heterocyclic Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:17 am

I like Sonnen, he's a real character. It'll be interesting to see whether he'll be able to take Anderson down. He might not even get a chance to take him down. I'm pretty sure he'll finish Sonnen, fight Vitor, retire his belt, then superfights within the UFC until the end of his contract, then he'll have his boxing match.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:43 pm

"Completely underserved title shot."

No, if Belfort is out there is only Sonnen left for the title shot. Nate was ranked 2/3 when Sonnen beat him, and Okami was ranked 5/6 in many places when Sonnen beat him.

Infact he deserves a title shot more than Belfort does
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:57 pm

It continues..... Twisted Evil

Chael Sonnen is optimistic he'll get to fight middleweight champion Anderson Silva. But he also says he's a bit worried that it won't happen.

"I don't know if Anderson's going to accept," Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmmajunkie.com).

UFC president Dana White on Wednesday told Jim Rome that Silva and Sonnen will face off in what would be the champions's seventh consecutive title defense. But there's a twist: after another lackluster fight against Demian Maia this past Saturday, Silva (26-4 MMA, 11-0 UFC) must deliver excitement or risk being cut from the organization.

Sonnen (24-10 MMA, 4-3 UFC) is happy to bait the champ – again – if it gets him the fight.

"The best I've seen, [Silva is] a man of his word," Sonnen said of the proposed matchup. "If I hear that he agreed, I'll feel a lot better."

The middleweight champion is clearly on the ropes after the Maia fight, which served as the main event of UFC 112. Silva spent the first two rounds dancing around the cage and the last three in a near-constant backward shuffle.

In now trademark fashion, Sonnen said it's nothing new for Silva.

"[Silva is] really good, he's really effective, and he's as unpleasing to watch as grass growing," Sonnen said. "That's why they called me to get rid of this cancer of the company."

Silva's camp declined to comment on the fight's possibility when contacted today by MMAjunkie.com.

Sonnen claims he's called out the middleweight champion for four years to no avail.

"Nobody has challenged Anderson Silva," Sonnen said. "Not one human being, not one interview. Go to what the kids call 'Google,' and prove me wrong. Show me one athlete in any weight class that's challenged this guy except me."

The West Linn, Ore., resident won a middleweight contender spot in February with a win over Nate Marquardt at UFC 109. He really perked up ears, though, when he went after Silva in the press and polarized fans with his no-nonsense talk.

"He won't even acknowledge the challenge," Sonnen said of the champion, who also holds a UFC record for most octagon wins with 11. "He just overlooks it like it's not happening. The first and only time he's ever acknowledged the challenge is on Feb. 7, 12 hours after I became the number one contender, he put out a press release stating seven different reasons he didn't think he should have to fight me."

White told Rome that Sonnen's wrestling-based style is the perfect antidote to the lackluster performances that ensue when Silva is paired with jiu-jitsu stylists.

Sonnen said it's more than that.

"What's different about me is that I acknowledge Anderson Silva's going to hit me and kick me," he said. "I acknowledge it's going to hurt a lot. But I don't care. I don't care if he hurts me. I'll go to the hospital later that night. But in that 25-minute period, he's going to be in a fight."

He said Silva's dance is just a ploy to get opponents to engage, and a ploy he's happy to follow.

"If he does it to me, it's going to work," Sonnen said. "It's going to make me angry, and I'm going to come after him. If he wants to throw those punches, by God throw them. But I'm going to walk straight through them."

A year ago, Sonnen was struggling to gain traction in the UFC after a unsuccessful run in the promotion between 2005 and 2006, but that position has changed with his recent performances.

If the fight materializes, Sonnen will work with his usual training partners at Team Quest as well as Xtreme Couture grappling coach Neil Melanson, who helped him prepare for Marquardt at UFC 109.

"He's one of those guys, you meet them very rarely but when you meet them, you hold onto them like a precious metal," Sonnen said. "He offered to help me. I don't have a lot of friends in this sport – he's one of them."

Meanwhile, Sonnen continues to campaign for the Oregon House of Representatives and is currently in a fundraising cycle. He remains no-nonsense about the biggest opportunity of his career.

"I guarantee you between now and Aug. 7, I'll get hurt," Sonnen said. "I'll get sick. I'm sure I'll get a staph infection that seems to be the new wave throughout MMA – oh, I have a staph infection, wah. When my music hits those speakers on Aug. 7, I will make that walk.

"That's a tremendous difference between me and the prima donnas who like to see their names on posters but are not real fighters
    ."
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:18 pm

if he ran for prime minister here i would vote for him!
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:25 pm

Why isnt Anderson moving up for some competition, why keep talking about taking on the Heavyweights??

Dana says that Sonnen will take Anderson down with a double leg takedown, well I can't wait to see him try, and then Dana says Anderson has to entertain or he will get cut, so what he is really saying is the UFC is entertainment(WWE) and not a sport.

Belfort would be exciting definetly, however I think his style is made for Anderson, so is Frank Mir - if you had to select any heavyweight that will make Anderson look good who is not called Al Turk then it would be Frank Mir.

Dana goes on about Anderson's P4P status, if that is the case he whould be going for being a two belt champion and taking on the best Light Heavies in the UFC.

This is all because the UFC pay per view business plan has created this beast, its there own fault.

IMO all MMA fans should get behind Strikeforce as much as they can, it is a far better managed organisation IMO.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:05 pm

in my opinion its not a case of being entertaining or not.

i was more upset that he wasnt giving 100%.

guys like Sonnen might be called boring but they give 100% effort into their fights.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:12 pm

Anderson has to entertain or he will get cut, so what he is really saying is the UFC is entertainment(WWE) and not a sport.

Its not so much about entertaiment as not being a dick. Look at that fight, Silva could have finished whatever time he wanted but he just clowned around and taunted Maia shouting insults. There are plenty of fighters there who aren't exciting to watch but still have jobs and are regarded as top fighters. Look at Sonnen FFS. Its not like Silva was boring he was just a clear dick. Acting like a shot hurt? what is he fucking 12? Thats very disrespectful.

Either way Dana's bluffing ofc, he won't cut Silva after all that trouble he has gone through promoting Silva. He will probably just scare Ed Soares by giving Silva a paycut.

Sonnen doesn't fill me with confidence on the ground, Silva's BJJ isn't great but he has been submitted a number of times.

You know what I find funny. Everyone shits on Nate for not being able to submit Sonnen from his back but no one seems to mention that Dan Miller couldn't do it either and apparantley he is a "legit" black belt.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:19 pm

my guess is that they are both wrestlers before they did BJJ therefore naturally work on their top game more.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:45 pm

I have no idea who's a blackbelt and who isn't nowadays.

How do you get qualified to give out blackbelts anyway?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:19 pm

i believe you have to be a 2nd degree blackbelt.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Isnt Nate a 2nd degree blackbelt??

This man is a Gracie JJ blackbelt also....

Dana confirms Anderson fighting Sonnen next !! Albundy

I think you get blackbelts at the back of cereal boxes.. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:58 am