THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
Albion_Oakley
The_Axe_Emperor
6 posters

The Diaz Brothers = Loonies

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Diaz Brothers = Loonies Empty The Diaz Brothers = Loonies

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu May 13, 2010 1:32 am

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Diaz Brothers = Loonies Empty Re: The Diaz Brothers = Loonies

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu May 13, 2010 1:56 am

Are these guys bad for MMA?
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu May 13, 2010 8:55 am

Quick! somebody fill that room with concrete!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 am

It's quite clearly a replica. Nate Diaz is a muppet. Nick is a nice guy, he's just got some issues. Possibly the best WW in the world other than GSP though.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu May 13, 2010 11:23 am

Better than Alves and Fitch? MAYBE Fitch, but I think Alves would decimate Diaz in a match, he is a terrible matchup for him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 13, 2010 11:26 am

I think Diaz's reach would cause Thiago a lot of problems, and his sheer volume of punches is going to cause anyone problems. And Nick's ground game is on another level. I think he would beat Thiago at the minute.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 13, 2010 2:51 pm

Glad someone seems to agree with my rating of Diaz! cheers I think he is unbelievable, I could see him beating any UFC Welter, I dont think its unthinkable that he could beat GSP too. Clearly no one is favorite but Diaz would have a good chance.

I think the Diaz brothers remind me of 15 year old Chavs but I dont care about personality Im a huge fan of both because I love they way they fight especially Nick.

They are great for MMA because they are fantastic to watch, Nick set the record for Strikes thrown in an MMA fight and broke it in the next fight! Pretty impressive for a guy fighting between Ww and Mw considering there are guys at 135lbs who cant match the strike output! I odnt know how anyone cant like them as fighters.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Thu May 13, 2010 3:24 pm

I'm with Ben, when you take into account all aspects of MMA, his ground game is outstanding, and his striking is lethal. I challenge anyone to watch the Zaromskis fight again and not say he's the most lethal striker in the division. I think he beats Alves in both areas .

Beat GSP? Possibly, it would certainly be a hard fight to call, if GSP can control him on the ground, it would have a UD written all over it. Thats only IF he can control it on the ground. Standing up I'd go for a Diaz TKO.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu May 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Yeah GSP would be in big trouble to stand with Diaz, Diaz has hurt some seriously tough guys like Smith and Lawler etc.. They are big tough Mw's and Diaz hurt them so I think GSP or any Welter would be in a world of trouble to stand with him. Alves would have a good chance to land a knee to the ribs so a big hook and turn his lights out though but Id love to see him mix it up with UFC 170lbs guys.

I could see Wrestlers controlling Nick on the ground though, Id like to see him fight Kos. He had problems with being outwrestled earlier in his career (Sherk, Riggs) but I wonder if he would cope better now?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Your forgetting that Alves and GSP have much better kicks than Diaz, especially Alves. Alves could fuck Diaz up with leg kicks and how the hell is Diaz going to get Alves down? Niether Kos or Hughes even got close to getting him down. Alves has only had problems with reach against GSP, it hasn't affected him much otherwise. Alves has a lot more power than Diaz as well, and a devestating flying knee to the body. Diaz is a good striker but he doesn't have that much power, its more about the amount he throws.

Smith and Lawler aren't particularly great strikers they just have a lot of powers. The Lawler stoppage was clearly early and at the end of the day, this guy was outboxed by Pete Spratt not long before he fought Diaz.

I think Fitch could beat Diaz actually, if he took him down, which he could, he is a good enough grappler to keep Diaz at bay and control Diaz to a UD. Jake Shields would beat Diaz as well.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 13, 2010 11:25 pm

Forget about kicks, kicks play right into the hands of the ultimate dryhumper GSP. Diaz has great hands. And he's bigger and rangier than GSP. He would also school him on the ground if GSP even attempted to play the BJJ game.

Diaz would beat Shields, even Shields has said it. Diaz is the man at Cesar Gracie's school. He taps EVERYONE on a regular basis.

Diaz is the number 2 WW in the world. Alves might beat him if he was at his very very best. The only other one that might have a chance is Paulo Thiago who is top 5 for me now that the two English boys have been shown up for what they are. Average fighters with good hands and hard heads.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu May 13, 2010 11:43 pm

No I didn't mean Diaz kicks, I meant GSP using kicks. He does have very good hands I agree. Not sure if he is bigger than GSP, certainly not consideribly. What's Diaz's reach. GSP wouldn't need to play the BJJ game.

Fighters always say that about there teamates, but you'll never know till they fight. Shield certainly has enough to take Diaz down, from there he can control with ease. Diaz probably has the better BJJ out of the two but Shields is good on the ground as well, and might have enough to avoid the submissions of Diaz. Same goes for Fitch.

The Thiago Alves who fought Matt Hughes would be too much for Diaz I think, thats how I think it would go personally because Alves is a deadly striker. Obviously Diaz is a class above Alves on the ground but can he outstrike him? Im not so sure.

Thiago is a good fighter as well and would have a good chance but I'd pick Diaz in that fight. Standup, Diaz has the edge but Thiago does have more power and he always seems to catch someone atleast once. On the ground, should it go there would be quite even, with one of them just getting the edge. Id say Diaz, Fitch just managed to outgrapple Thiago.

I agree that Thiago is top 5 now.

Top WWs

GSP, Alves, Fitch, Diaz, Thiago and Shields should he fight there.

I never really ever liked Daley or Hardy, I prefer Hathaway more than both of them.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:33 am