THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
kavik2
Mryzyz
Ginginho
payneNglory1
poz
Once Mohawked Pete
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
Sheldan
efils_god
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
p4pnumber_1
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
ChelseaQuinsfan
19 posters

Football discussion

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Football discussion - Page 23 Empty Re: Football discussion

Post  efils_god Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    kavik2 wrote:Wouldn't mind being in possession of that ticket like. For me the Germans look an outstanding bet, although, as I say, I've had a small flutter on France each way myself (could fail at the qtr finals against either Spain or Italy).

I am kind of hoping that Italy get thrown out if the corruption scandal explodes, and they also lose there champions league places.

Spurs probably still wouldnt get in to the champs league tho! They will give the place to a John Terry select XI instead./

TBH dude, I cannot see them losing their CL places over this. Now, if it had been an English scandal........ TBH though, next years Europa League looks quite tasty.. Atletico Madrid, Spuds, Napoli, Rubin Kazan, Lyon, Toon, PSV, Lazio, Liverpool, Inter, and of course Dundee Utd.

Appreciated! Wink

cheers cheers cheers
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Whilst I understand what you are saying, and there's no doubt that money has changed both the European competitions (and it could be argued, devaluing them), there's nothing quite like your club playing European football.

With regards to clubs putting out academy or fringe players, that for me, is a good thing. Young players with potential, get exposure to big games, that can only benefit your team IMO. It's still a difficult cometition to win (just ask Man Utd, Man City et al from last season). I'm looking forward to it TBH.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:59 pm

efils_god wrote:
    kavik2 wrote:Wouldn't mind being in possession of that ticket like. For me the Germans look an outstanding bet, although, as I say, I've had a small flutter on France each way myself (could fail at the qtr finals against either Spain or Italy).

I am kind of hoping that Italy get thrown out if the corruption scandal explodes, and they also lose there champions league places.

Spurs probably still wouldnt get in to the champs league tho! They will give the place to a John Terry select XI instead./

TBH dude, I cannot see them losing their CL places over this. Now, if it had been an English scandal........ TBH though, next years Europa League looks quite tasty.. Atletico Madrid, Spuds, Napoli, Rubin Kazan, Lyon, Toon, PSV, Lazio, Liverpool, Inter, and of course Dundee Utd.

Appreciated! Wink

cheers cheers cheers

You're welcome dude, although maybe not, if you manage to get drawn against us....And beat us. Smile
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:03 pm

There is no chance of that don't worry! We have yet to manage to get anywhere near the group stages in the last 2 years....
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:04 pm

efils_god wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Ramires is very small. Maybe not in height (he's 5'11" at a push) but in build he is one of the thinnest players in the EPL.

Ramires is one of the strongest players around. Ever see him get knocked off the ball? He's not small either, just lean. He's not smaller than Jordan Henderson. He just looks so skinny because he plays next to Fat Frank in midfield.

Agreed, Ramires is pretty slight, but he it so strong, and very agile as well. He never gets knocked off the ball, even by people alot bigger than him. Class player.

Didn't say he was weak, I merely agreed that he was small, which he is
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:04 pm

efils_god wrote:There is no chance of that don't worry! We have yet to manage to get anywhere near the group stages in the last 2 years....

We've got to get past the Qualifying stages ourselves mate. Not banking on owt.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:Whilst I understand what you are saying, and there's no doubt that money has changed both the European competitions (and it could be argued, devaluing them), there's nothing quite like your club playing European football.

With regards to clubs putting out academy or fringe players, that for me, is a good thing. Young players with potential, get exposure to big games, that can only benefit your team IMO. It's still a difficult cometition to win (just ask Man Utd, Man City et al from last season). I'm looking forward to it TBH.

If we are in the Euroleague we tend to keep hold of our prospects and blood them in that comp. when we dont qualify we tend to loan them all out which I prefer to be honest because they are playing every week then for a Champ. or lower prem team.

Kyle Walker really benefitted from his year at QPR and Villa much more than he would have playing 6-8 europa league games.

I think it would have been a different story for Man U and Man C if they werent competing with each other for the prem this year (think they both took there eye off the champs league and Euros because they wanted to beat each other domestically so much)

Having said all that I do agree for some teams it is something to really look forward to, middlesborough and Fulham fans have never had much to cheer about so was a great run for both of them when they made the final.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:08 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Kelly is a great player, one for the future definitely but it really should have been Rio instead of him. Our defence at the Euro's is going to be severely lacking in experience and Rio like him or not (I hate him tbh Laughing) brings a wealth of experience to the squad.

The fact Liverpool are the best represented side in the squad speaks more about England's distinct lack of decent options than it does about the quality of Liverpoo's players, so I wouldn't be boasting about that if I was you Anfield.

Johnson-Terry-Lescott-Cole

In what way is that lacking in experience? Rio should be in the squad ahead of Terry, both are shit now, years past it, but at least Rio isn't a racist.......just a cokehead.

England have plenty of options, we have plenty of quality. Downing is the only player who's in the squad based on being the only option in his position, the rest are there because they offer something the squad needs.

I think/hope the centre backs are Jagielka and Lescott.

Hart isn't experienced in top level international competition, neither is Johnson, Jagielka or Lescott. So that's my reasoning. No doubt it will be Lescott and Terry though. Only worry with that is Terry hasn't been in the best of form, and both him and Joleon prefer playing on the left.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Right lads going to do my Euro bet today, gonna have a look now. I can't see past Spain or Germany to be honest, but my mate text me earlier saying France to beat Germany in the final 75/1, great value for that! What you boys going for?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:21 pm

Just to chime in on the goalie debate Anfield and Chelsea;

On this past seasons form, Buffon is the best goalie in Europe. The rock in the defence of Juve's unbeaten season. Cech has had a much more impressive season than Joe Hart IMO, him and Drogba together won both cups for them. Casillas has had as good as season as he's had before, although his defence played a massive part in that, not many shots to save, similar to Victor Valdes, when your team dominates possession you're not worked as much as other goalies. The stand out keeper in La Liga for me was Bilbao's Gorka Iraizoz. Can't remember the exact stats but he had the best shot to save ratio in all of Europe's top 5 leagues I believe. Manuel Neuer is painfully overrated IMO. If you don't believe me, watch Borrussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich in the cup final, horrendous goalkeeping. He didn't exactly shine in the CL Final either
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:27 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:Right lads going to do my Euro bet today, gonna have a look now. I can't see past Spain or Germany to be honest, but my mate text me earlier saying France to beat Germany in the final 75/1, great value for that! What you boys going for?

I know it was only a friendly, but we (France) recently beat ze Germans in their own back yard, if that sways your decision!

75-1 is amazing odds, but unfortunately i can't see it happening.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:27 pm

kavik2 wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:Whilst I understand what you are saying, and there's no doubt that money has changed both the European competitions (and it could be argued, devaluing them), there's nothing quite like your club playing European football.

If we are in the Euroleague we tend to keep hold of our prospects and blood them in that comp. when we dont qualify we tend to loan them all out which I prefer to be honest because they are playing every week then for a Champ. or lower prem team.

Kyle Walker really benefitted from his year at QPR and Villa much more than he would have playing 6-8 europa league games.

I think it would have been a different story for Man U and Man C if they werent competing with each other for the prem this year (think they both took there eye off the champs league and Euros because they wanted to beat each other domestically so much)

Having said all that I do agree for some teams it is something to really look forward to, middlesborough and Fulham fans have never had much to cheer about so was a great run for both of them when they made the final.

TBH mate, don't think that Spurs have had that much to cheers about recently either, okay, you have been in the running for top 4, the last couple of seasons, but not actually achieved that much really. Not that I'm in a position to talk about achievements, as I'm a Toon fan.

With regards to the Euros. The only bet I've had so far, is France each way @ 16's. I'll probably have a few bets on individual games. Think that France are a knocking bet to beat England @ about 7/5. And thinking about a 4-fold on group winners - Poland 5/2, Germany 11/10, Spain 8/15 and France 6/4.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Being in the running for top four and playing football that people enjoy watching is as much as you can hope for as a spurs fan, we have been shite since 1991.

We have a very low wage bill compared to our immediate rivals and we have spent comparitively little in the transfer market (dont believe what you read look at the facts)

Our first 11 cost less than Arguero.

So yes trophy cabinet wise just the one cup recently and a couple of semi finals were we have suffered due to the Howard Webb effect, but it has been a bit of a monopoly since Sky cam along so I am enjoying the emergence of City, Newcastle and ourselves and hope it continues.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:01 pm

What are the odds on Russia in group A? I'd take them over Poland.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:25 pm

efils_god wrote:What are the odds on Russia in group A? I'd take them over Poland.

Think that Russia are favourites for the group, about 6/4 off the top of my head. Hence my leaning towards Poland, home field advantage, and not a bad outfit.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:30 pm

efils_god wrote:What are the odds on Russia in group A? I'd take them over Poland.

Think that Russia are favourites for the group, about 6/4 off the top of my head. Hence my leaning towards Poland, home field advantage, and not a bad outfit.

Yeah thats correct 6/4 they are, Russia 1st, Poland 2nd is 9/2, I like the look of that.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:40 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:

Yeah thats correct 6/4 they are, Russia 1st, Poland 2nd is 9/2, I like the look of that.

9/2 or is that a typo? Pretty much everywhere I've looked, they've been round the 5/2 mark. If so, who's that with mate?
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:03 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:

9/2 or is that a typo? Pretty much everywhere I've looked, they've been round the 5/2 mark. If so, who's that with mate?

I seen it 9/2 with both Paddy Power and William Hill mate. Where did you look pal?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:21 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:

I seen it 9/2 with both Paddy Power and William Hill mate. Where did you look pal?

William Will have them at 9/4 (just checked online), Bet365 5/2, Ladbrokes 5/2, Betfred and PaddyPower both showing at 5/2, wonder whether it was a 'special'?
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:43 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:

William Will have them at 9/4 (just checked online), Bet365 5/2, Ladbrokes 5/2, Betfred and PaddyPower both showing at 5/2, wonder whether it was a 'special'?

I think i've misread you mate. I was talking about Russia winning the group, with Poland coming second @9/2. Were u talking about Poland winning the group outright?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Yeah mate, I was. I thought that 9/2 seemed a cracking price. Smile
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Toni Kroos winning player of the Euro's is worth a punt at 50-1. Very Happy
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Cowboys From Hell wrote:If Hulk does end up at Chelsea I think he could a Shevchenko type buy for them he will most likely flop IMO.

Seen the Brendan Rogers press conference on SSN this morning he spoke well in his Northern Irish/ Scottish hybrid accent and whatever else is in there (I detect a little Welsh as well).

I really question the decision making at the club sometimes. It's beyond moronic, overspending on an unproven player. Not sure what it is but I think far too many people rate the Portuguese league higher than it is. Last year Mourihnio payed 30 million for Coentreo who's an average winger and an awful defender.

With that being said Hulk has the skills to succeed. He has pace and skill, a good goal scoring record and a freakish shot. And he provides a good physical presence which is useful in the premeir league and it's useful for us since Drogba is leaving. Plus the new core of our side lacks side as Ramires, Hazard, Mata, Marin are all quite small players.

Ramires is 5'11!! He's not small at all. Marin will only be a sub if Hazard and Hulk both sign. It's a bit odd that Chelsea haven't made a statement on Hazard yet. Assume it's just a hold up in getting his medical done because of the international friendlies.

Hulk has the tools to do well, but he also has the tools keep the ball all to himself at the expense of the team. As does Hazard who I think is a bigger risk than Hulk given the system Chelsea will play will require him to work for the team, something he doesn't enjoy doing. Chelsea are buying a team on unproven individuals, there's no cohesiveness to it at all and Ramires and Mikel could find themselves over-worked because the front 4 aren't workers. And they still haven't sorted their managerial situation out.

Odd that you have a go at the Portuguese league, your second best player came from there and your best ever defender came from there. And the likes of DiMaria and Falcao made their names there and are now amongst the best players in Europe. Coentrao is a decent defender and a good allround player. He was over-priced but he was a good signing for Real and played a number of different positions for them. RB, LB, DM, RW and LW during the year.

You have a point about players from there being over-priced but it was Chelsea who caused that when they paid 38mil for Carvalho and Ferreira and another 14mil for Bosingwa. You only need to look at these rumours of 30mil for Gaitan to see what's happened over.

Ramires is sort of built like a Kenyan marathon runner. He's isn't short by any means but he is quite physically small and offers no sort of physical presence. Marin and De Bruyne will be subs is Hulk and Hazard come and I think that's a good thing. If one of Hulk or Hazard flops, there is at least good cover for them.

Hulk and Hazard can both be ball hogs but I think they will realize quickly that they will need to pass the ball. Hazard against England was the most frequent passer of the ball. He also worked quite hard upfront, switching from wing to centre to wing and he was always looking for the ball. Defensively I don't think either of them will produce much help but Ramires and Mikel are work horses. Ramires in particular has excellent fitness. Cole should be able to cover for who ever is playing ahead of him.

Not saying that the league isn't good and that it doesn't produce quality players because it does. But it also produces it's fair share of overrated and overpriced talent as well. Our best ever defender was Deasily but Carvahllio was quality and worth every penny we paid. Coentreo is a utility player and they are not worth anything close to 30 million. That's the same price Real Madrid paid for Xabi Alonso and cost more than Ozil! He is pretty poor defensively IMO, cost Real Madrid the game against Bayern in the first leg.

Carvallio was worth it, Feirrara was slightly overpriced but he played for us and we paid far too much for Bosingwa. He is worth half of what we paid. Especially since he hogs the spotlight whenever we win a trophy. I heard Gaitan is being linked with Man Utd and I can't see them paying that much for him.

United might panic and pay for him because his wages would be a lot lower than the normal wages for a 30mil player. Ferreira was never worth more than 5mil, nor was Bosingwa. Cavarlho wasn't worth the money Chelsea paid at the time but he did prove worthwhile.

Alonso cost 30mil sterling, Coentrao cost 30mil Euro(if he hits certain incentives). Ozil is the bargain of the decade. You've just spent 3 times what Ozil cost on Hazard who's nowhere near as good. We paid 3 times the amount on Carroll who's never going to be 1/3 the player. Buying from Germany is the smart thing to do.

Cole's great, but he's not going to manage against 2 players coming at him all season long. Neither is anyone you have at RB. Ramires is immense, but asking him to do the defensive side of the game constantly will take away from his game.

I heard they are close to wrapping up Kagawa who plays in the same position but is considerably cheaper and I think a better player. He has performed better than Gaitan in a better league. Gaitan is good but he is nowhere near that sort of money.

Feirrara was terrific when Porto won the Champions league and in his first couple of seasons for Chelsea. Carvillio proved his worth to the side and I think he was worth the money.

Not sure how Bremen let Ozil go for that cheap after his performances at the world cup. Absolutely brilliant player and just as important for Real Madrid as Ronaldo. After this season I really think he could be considered the third best player in the world ahead of Iniesta. A lot of talented players in Germany for good prices.

I think part of the new focus for Chelsea is to play a poor possession based game. That means Cole won't have to be constantly defending. Also who ever plays on the wing (Hazard/Mata/Hulk) will ensure the opposing fullback will be stuck in their own half for the majority of the game. Cole is one of the best one-on-one defenders in the world and it's part of the reason why the likes of Ronaldo, Messi and other top class players haven't performed as well as they usually do against Chelsea. Ramires will play a box-to-box role and will eventually take Lampards spot. Lampard's days as a box-to-box player are close to being finished and from now one I think he will play a more defensive, deep-laying role. Mikel and Romeu will rotate throughout the season so everyone stays fit and we still have Essien and Mierles for cover.

Kagawa plays right side or central, Gaitan plays left side. They wanted Hazard to play left side. Kagawa is going there either way, if they can agree a fee. He's always been their main target.

Ferreira was never anything more than average. He was a weaklink in that Porto team. Mourinho bought him to act as a dressing room mole. Carvalho wasn't worth 24mil at the time. Later yes, in 04 no.

Lots of young players in germany have buy-outs. Same reason Khedira and Sahin went so cheap. Ozil is the best playmaker in the world. Himself and Iniesta are about even IMO. Just a joy to watch.

You do realize that you can't play 12 players? If Lampard is in the team - he shouldn't be, he's well past it, then Ramires, Mata, Hazard or the superhero will have to miss out because Mikel/Romeu or Felliani will start every game at DM. Chelsea haven't bought players to play possession football. They've bought players to counter attack. Hulk, Mata, Ramires and Hazard are all better on the counter. As is Torres. Only Mata is suited to a possession style of play. Chelsea don't know what they're doing. No manager, no big name managers interested, it's going to be RDM again and aside from the 9 man defense and 1 striker formation he won the CL with, he's tactically clueless. What will they do if the new manager walks in and decides he wants Mata in the 10 role and Hazard on the wing? Hazard will run to those who signed him, whinge and cry and then there'll be more fallings out.

I think Gaitan prefers playing in the centre. It would be interesting if United did go for him but he isn't as good as Hazard or Kagawa.

Being the better part of a defense that only conceded 15 goals showed he was worth every penny. Ferrira was excellent for Porto and excellent for us in the first two seasons.

Agree about Ozil he is just a joy to watch. I agree they are about even but Ozil has had the better season.

First of all RDM was left with basically no choice but to play defensive football. Things will be different next season. Hazard can play possesion football as well as he showed against England but since counter attacking worked so well for us this past season we might stick with that. The plan I hear right now is to have Mata in the middle and Hazard and Hulk will be on the wings. Hazard will be get used to playing in the PL and eventually will move to the centre. That's perfect, there is no rush to play Hazard through the middle because he is only 21. Lampard will play less and less, he is basically there to help the development of MchEachran and Romeu. Good player to have come off the bench and to give players a rest in the cup games.

My first team next season would be:

Cech

Ivanovic
    Terry (whether I like it or not he is going to start)
    Luiz/Cahill
    Cole

Romeu
    Ramires

Hulk
    Mata
    Hazard

Torres

Hopefully we don't loan out De Bruyne because he is also a fantastic talent. Him and Marin off the bench with Sturridge and we have one of the best attacks in Europe.

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:12 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Anyone who saw the England game can see what a joke Johnson is. Had an absolute shocker, gave the ball away, tackled no one and kept losing the ball anytime he went on one of "his threatening runs". One of the worst players to wear the England shirt. Forget the embarrassingly better Richards, I would have had Danny Simpson, Tony Hibbert, Phil Neville hell even Gary ahead of that clown.

Also fantastic to hear that Kelly has been called. Exactly what we need, more Liverpool players. I'd still have him over Johnson but Jones should start. He won't though because I think Woy feels to blame for the current status of Liverpool and I think this is his way of saying sorry.

Big yawn. Usual brain dead nonsense. Johnson had a poor game but apart from Cole and Gerrard, no England player played well. England under Roy are a dour, dull team and having James Milner on the right wing is not going to help any right back. Your two central defenders were just as poor as Johnson. Shame Cahill broke his jaw, but great to see Terry get injured. Hopefully it's serious.

Kelly's better than Jones as an RB, and as a CB. Jones is hugely over-rated after one decent season where Chris Samba carried him.

Odd how we have far more players at the Euros than your small club given how great Chelsea apparently are.

Cahill barely had any time on the pitch and was solid when he was on and Terry was fine. Nothing special just solid. Johnson was awful. As you said only Cole and Gerrard played well but no one aside from Johnson had a mare. Not the biggest fan of Milner but he works hard for the side and always tracks back. He got better as the game went on and put in a couple of decent crosses. Not sure what Milner had to do with Johnson needlessly giving the ball away, tackling no one and running straight into Vertonghen's back pocket.

Agree about Woy though, the team lacks creativity. Not sure why we can't just admit English managers aren't very good. And on the odd occasion we do have one like Clough, we don't pick them. Woy was an awful choice, it should have given to Redknapp for the time being. It's hardly Woy's fault though, he was never going to turn it down. I blame the dinosaurs at the FA who are leaving English football back in the dark ages. When you see the incredible talent the likes of Brazil, Spain and Germany produce it's really quite frustrating looking at the England side.

Jones is overrated but he is still a talent and has a lot of potential. He is better and younger than Kelly and a lot of top managers have shown great faith in him. He has struggled a bit because he has had to play so many different positions but he has also had some terrific performances. Needs to work on his crossing though.

The reason you have more players is because of injuries and laughable selections by Woy. But as I said, this is his way of apologizing to Liverpool fans. Why else would he pick Downing when there are about 7 or 8 better options?

Because he's the only natural left footed left winger that England have. Quite simple really.

Kelly's a lot better than Jones who's had some utterly shocking performances over the past two seasons. Kelly's yet to have a bad game. Jones's defensive failings get glossed because he's good on the ball. Kelly's a much better defender.

It should have been a foreign manager for England. They are no good English managers at the highest level.

Milner offered no support on the flank and didn't make himself available. Terry was woeful. As was Milner. England were just shite.

He's crap though, by that logic we should have called up Ethrington or Taylor. Ashley Young can play on the left as can Mathew Jarvis. Aaron Lennon is a far better player and has more experience at the top level having actually played in the Champions league where he performed well. Can play left or right and he would have swapped wings during the game like he does with Bale for Spurs. Joe Cole had a fairly good season with Lille. Even taking a gamble on someone like Scott Sinclair or Nathan Dyer who both have better stats than Downing would have been better. The amount of English wingers who have had better stats than Downing is quite ridiculous. Should never have been in the squad.

The curse of the left wing has haunted England for many a year. Some truly awful players have played on that left wing for England.

Jones has played a lot more than Kelly though despite playing for a better team and being younger. Mistakes and poor performances at his age are a given. Kelly's positioning thus far has looked very impressive and he has the making of a very good defender but Jones is a more complete player and has played at a higher level. Jones does need to work on his defensive frailties and crossing (if he continues to play RB) if his to continue to progress.

I agree, only decent English manager out there right now is Padrew and that's after one season where he had some great help from his scouting team. We need to just admit English managers are shit and there's nothing wrong with having a foreign manager. Would love for Mourihnio to take it but he's not a fan of international football and would probably prefer managing Portugal.

Terry was solid, not his best ever performance but hardly woeful. I don't like him either but he certainly wasn't woeful. Milner is known for his hard work, one of his redeeming qualities. Johnson was just shite.

England were quite poor though and were outplayed. A lack of world-class players is going to hurt this team. There are 2 or 3 world class players in the side and only Ashley Cole can claim to be the best in the world at his position.

Joe Hart can probably make an argument for being top 3 or 4 in his position but other than him, and Cole obviously, no1 in this England team is particularly great. Gerrard was as good as anyone but injuries have destroyed his groin and taken away a lot of his explosiveness. Him and Cole are going to retire as two of the best England players to never win a major tournament.

The players coming through are a bit special though.

Hart's going to be there for a long time unless Butland replaces him, either way GK is set for the next 10 years minimum with great keepers.
    Walker will probably be England's RB in a year or two if he keeps developing.
    Kelly and Jones will be central assuming Ferguson doesn't ruin Jones and continue to push back his development.
    Robinson is going to be a fantastic left back, he's easily the best youngster we have, including Sterling.
    In midfield there's Wilshere, McEachran, Rodwell, Barkley, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, that Morrison kid if he can sort his life out, Nick Powell and a couple of others.
    Plus some talented wingers like Albrighton, Sterling and Redmond from Brum. There's others too.
    and upfront there's Sturridge, Wickham, Delfouneso and others.

England would be better off appointing a young manager, someone like Rodgers for example, and allowing him to built a team towards the next Euros with no focus on the next world cup. Dump everyone over the age of 27 from the squad, and start over. Someone like Karl Robinson of MK Dons would have been a good choice. I know he's ridiculously young and inexperienced but he'd have a long term vision, he's progressive and inventive and he could relate to young players. What on earth are Hodgson and Oxlade Chamberlain going to talk about??

Mourinho wanted the England job when Capello got it, doubt he'd have much interest now. Another year or two at Madrid, win that third CL he's been after and then to City he shall go to cement his legacy as the best ever with a few league titles and a few CLs.

Kelly has played at every level Jones has played at and always performed. Jones playing more makes his mistakes worse, those should be eradicated. United are going to ruin him by making him a fullback or fucking about with him in midfield because Fergie hasn't realized Rio is finished.

Downing's not crap. Rubbish to suggest he is. He had a grab season statistically but he's a good player who actually created a shit load of chances last season that Andy Carroll managed to waste. Never worth 20mil obviously, 12mil is more his value, but Downing is, and has been, one of the best wingers around for a number of years. He's the best left footed english left winger by a distance, that's not saying much but it's a fact. And he generally does perform well for England. Himself and Cole have a good understanding too which helps.

Right now I'd probably rate Casillas, Cech, Neur and possibly Buffon ahead of him so he can just about be considered world-class. England haven't had a goal keeper of that standard for a long time. I think Rooney can be described as world-class as well even though I don't like him he is still a quality player. Gerrard's injuries have slowed him down I agree.

I agree there is a lot of talent coming through but it also worries me when I look at some of the young players countries like Spain, Germany and Brazil are producing. The likes of Thiago, Cuenca, Tello, Goetze, Reus, Schurrle, Kroos, Neymar, Ganso, Lucas Moura plus the already established stars who are still quite young. I think any of those players would walk into the England side right now and they are technically far superior.

Out of the current new generation of England stars I think a couple of the defenders have the potential to become world class as well as Wilshire, the Ox and possibly MchEachran. Powell could be special too. Lack of quality strikers coming through IMO.

I agree that's the strategy England should have taken because for one it takes the pressure of such a cursed job. The media in the country is awful and love jumping on the bandwagon. Taking an approach like that would ease the pressure as the side is building. After these Euro's, Terry, Ferdinand, Gerrard, Lampard, Barry, Parker ect all need to retire from international football so we can start again. However as I said the clowns at the FA would never consider something like that.

If and when Mourihnio wins the CL with RL I think he will have already cemented his legacy as the best manager of all time and he'll have nothing left to prove at club football unless he can get a team from Scotland to win the Champions league. But even he isn't that special. He could take the Utd job after Fergie retires though although I hope he doesn't.

Kelly hasn't played in the Champions league and won't for a while yet. He also hasn't had the pressure of playing title-deciding games and competitive international games (might or might not change after this summer).

He has never been one of the best wingers around. At his best he is a player with a good left foot, decent dribbling and good crossing. Nothing special ever though. This season he was a failure. Always went missing a defensive liability.

This article shows just how poor he was statistically.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1188603-liverpool-fc-statistical-analysis-of-stewart-downings-failures

Cech is not better than Hart. Not even close. Buffon's not better than him anymore either. Buffon's the best keeper I've ever seen but he's not the keeper he was 5 years ago. Back injuries have harmed him.

Mourinho won't take the United job, the City job offers him far more. It offers him everything he was denied when Chelsea treated him so badly. The chance to truly build a dynasty. He'll need a 4th CL to be the best ever and 3 more league titles. City are in a position to dominate, add Mourinho to their current team and they'd win the CL.

Kelly has played in the Champions League. Bit of research in future like a good lad. And "title deciding games" in which you played poorly and helped your team throw away the title, and international matches against mediocre teams are not the highest level. Kelly has done everything Jones has done and been more impressive in doing it.

Downing's been one of the best wingers in the league for a number of years. Last season he was one of the best player in England from December to May and carried Villa whilst Young went missing.

Aside from the fact that the Bleacher Report is a shocking website, that article is shockingly poor and isn't a statistical analysis of anything. Downing created more clear cut chances than anyone in the league, and the "shots created" category apparently doesn't include headers created. It also misses the fact that Downing had to play with Carroll who couldn't finish a well cooked meal, and hit the woodwork 6 times. Had 4 of them gone in, and had Carroll from 5 of the 25 chances Downing made for him, then Downing's season would be seen more accurately.

Cech is far better than Hart. Absolutely terrific this season, the number of times he saved us was extraordinary and was as easily as important to the side as Drogba. His performance in the semi-finals and final of the Champions league were terrific and that extraordinary save from Carroll in the final was special. Buffon still had a very good season for Juventus and is still so key for Italy.

The City team still doesn't look stronger than Barca, Real Madrid or even Bayern Munich. Sides like Man Utd, Chelsea, AC Millan, Juventus even Arsenal with a couple of more signings also all look very strong and will continue to threat. No one team is going to dominate club football with or without Mourihnio.

I apologies, Kelly played a couple of minutes against PSV in a game where Liverpool had already won. Hardly the same level Jones played. Jones was awful in that game but that wasn't my point. He now has the experience of playing in the most important game of a Premier league season which is a much higher level than Kelly played. Mediocre or not, they were competitive games and again it provides extremely valuable experience. Jones is younger but more experienced than Kelly.

Downing played well for about half a season, that's the only time big clubs showed any interest and no team in the top 4 wanted him.

You can't say had this happened or if that happened because football doesn't work that way. He ended up with no goals and no assists. The reports show he lost the ball often, didn't track back and do anything in defense, can't dribble very well. Clearly not suited for a top team.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:17 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Just to chime in on the goalie debate Anfield and Chelsea;

On this past seasons form, Buffon is the best goalie in Europe. The rock in the defence of Juve's unbeaten season. Cech has had a much more impressive season than Joe Hart IMO, him and Drogba together won both cups for them. Casillas has had as good as season as he's had before, although his defence played a massive part in that, not many shots to save, similar to Victor Valdes, when your team dominates possession you're not worked as much as other goalies. The stand out keeper in La Liga for me was Bilbao's Gorka Iraizoz. Can't remember the exact stats but he had the best shot to save ratio in all of Europe's top 5 leagues I believe. Manuel Neuer is painfully overrated IMO. If you don't believe me, watch Borrussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich in the cup final, horrendous goalkeeping. He didn't exactly shine in the CL Final either

Pretty much agree with that. Cech was our most important player along with Drogba.

Valdes is overrated, he is basically the best paid Barcelona spectator. It is clear he isn't on the level of the rest of the team and it has cost Barca in the past. Neuer is a very good keeper though, he has mistakes in him but he is an excellent shot stopper. That game a few years ago when he was playing for Schalke against United was one of the best goalkeeping performances I've ever seen. One of the key reason Bayern got to the Cl final.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 2:53 am