THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+15
kavik2
Mryzyz
Ginginho
payneNglory1
poz
Once Mohawked Pete
redmeanie77
manschesthair_utd
Sheldan
efils_god
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
p4pnumber_1
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
ChelseaQuinsfan
19 posters

Football discussion

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Football discussion - Page 31 Empty Re: Football discussion

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Yeah there's no disputing they deserved to win, but that didn't mean I wouldn't have celebrated like fook if we pulled a win out the bag. Knew Ashley Young was gonna miss that penalty, just knew it. Pirlo's penalty, whilst brilliant skill, was IMO more balls than anything, if Hart doesn't dive that backfires horribly, his super football over the course of the game is forgotten and he is the villain.

Pirlo dominated from start to finish, Parker and Gerrard put in a few brilliant blocks and tackles on him but he's so persistent. All three are around the same age, but it's obviously ALOT easier and less physically demanding to just drift about and spray the passes compared to the vast amount of grafting Parker and Gerrard had to do.

Rooney was poor, and dropped deep too often which left Welbeck (Who did commendable, especially with his hold up play) exposed. Young was DIRE, probably the worst single performance by an England player I can remember. Milner was poor again, he's a brilliant worker but his best position is definitely centre mid, put in some cracking performances there for City. Parker and Gerrard were poor by the standards they've set themselves in the tournament so far, although I think Pirlo's performance made them look worse than they were. This was probably Cole's best game of the Euro's, a great threat going forward the few times we had chances, and didn't have to much trouble with A Batty or Maggio. Johnson who as much as I hate him has been England's best player, again had a stormer (especially his block from Nocerino), as did Lescott with dealing with Balotelli, but IMO England's best player was John Terry. He's much criticised because he is a cunt but he proved against Italy he is still one of the best, nobody reads the game better. His block on Balotellis cheeky lob attempt was world class, although like the game against Spain, Mario wanted waaay too long. Hart was flawless as usual except for the pens Sad

Anyone think we could have benefitted from having Paul Scholes playing? Probably the best English possession player around right now, despite his age
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:34 am

Spain were tired tonight and uncharacteristically sloppy, strangely though Portugal never caused them any real problems during normal time when they were at least making a game of it. Extra time was all Spain and penalties say Ronaldo and co head home.

Ronaldo had a very poor tournament. He was awful against the Germans and the Danes, only bothered showing up against a terrible Dutch team and the Czechs who aren't good in anyway. He was decent for about 25 minutes tonight, awful after that. And his insistence on taking the 5th penalty as he sought personal glory over everything else cost his team tonight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Lost a pile of money on Germany but Italy proved me right about how good they are, which is far more important!

Pirlo is a magician.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:59 am

I had a choice of France or Italy pre-tournament both had great odds. Ofcourse i picked france..... Neutral

Italy are an incredible footballing nation, i'd fancy them to eventually surpass Brazil in world cup. They can never be counted out. Hope Serie A can get cleaned up before its too late.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:51 pm

Spain are just incredible.

It's easy to get carried away straight after a performance like that,but for me they are the best international team that has ever played the game,and what separates them and makes them better than great teams of the past for me is,not just their amazing passing abilities and work ethic,but the fact that they don't have to rely on any one big player to carry them through,like great teams of the past have, Pele,Maradona,Cruyf,Platini etc.

Every player in their squad,understands the system they play and just how to play in it.You can take any of those players out of the game and they have someone just as effective waiting on the bench.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:27 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I'm thinking of having a cheeky bet on the Greeks Laughing

Wonder what the odds are for Torres to be the top scorer.

Torres is actually only 18/1, i'd give u personal odds of 50/1 though Very Happy

You should've taken me up on my offer mate Very Happy
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:19 am

payneNglory1 wrote:Spain are just incredible.

It's easy to get carried away straight after a performance like that,but for me they are the best international team that has ever played the game,and what separates them and makes them better than great teams of the past for me is,not just their amazing passing abilities and work ethic,but the fact that they don't have to rely on any one big player to carry them through,like great teams of the past have, Pele,Maradona,Cruyf,Platini etc.

Every player in their squad,understands the system they play and just how to play in it.You can take any of those players out of the game and they have someone just as effective waiting on the bench.

Spot on. No international team has ever dominated like this before, AND they'll go to Brazil in 2 years as clear favourites. I doubt we'll ever see a national team as strong as this one. The players that don't start for them would beat all bar the top 4 or 5 teams in world. That's how strong they are.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Looks like the future of Forest might start to look a bit brighter with the Al Hawasi family takeover.

Cowboy,rumors are that Pep and Elokobi could be coming back to us,for around 1 million for both, cheers Bargain ,as Solbakken is looking at cutting down his 45 man squad. (45 man squad affraid ,shit,at the moment,Forest are struggling to fill the subs bench)

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012/07/03/Solbakken-to-cash-in-on-duo/gnid-146752/
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:Looks like the future of Forest might start to look a bit brighter with the Al Hawasi family takeover.

Cowboy,rumors are that Pep and Elokobi could be coming back to us,for around 1 million for both, cheers Bargain ,as Solbakken is looking at cutting down his 45 man squad. (45 man squad affraid ,shit,at the moment,Forest are struggling to fill the subs bench)

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2012/07/03/Solbakken-to-cash-in-on-duo/gnid-146752/

I would be more than willing to drive George up to the City Ground and your lot will be paying us for the privilege of signing him too ? What a bonus Cool. As for Guedioura I hope not I can see us unloading a fair few players this summer (Big squad as you say) with Adlene being out of contract next summer I could see us cashing in unless Stale fancies him as a player.

It seems we are after another Scandinavian FIFA sensation in Rosenborg's Markus Henriksen. If that happens I would think Adlene leaving could be very likely.

If your after midfielders you can have Dave Edwards or Eggart Jonsson If you want. Very Happy
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:57 pm

Football discussion - Page 31 Article-2106285-11E83605000005DC-111_468x286

Big George is better than any LB we currently have,which is pretty easy since,we don't have a bloody LB in the squad,so we'll happily take him(he actually performed well for us).

I don't think (or I'm hoping)he'll be the only signing for that position though,maybe Cunningham will return again on loan,or the one I'd like to see us get back is Nicky Shorey, he was brilliant for us when on loan a few seasons back.

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:07 pm

Hmm, AVB for us yids then, best of a bad bunch in the media. Might have preferred Blanc, but head and shoulders above Martinez etc! Shouldn't be the same player power as at Chelsea, so typical faithful, optomistic, gormless, moronic hope from a Spurs fan, who's seen it all before!
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:08 pm

Hasn't Shorey been released from West Brom ?.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:10 pm

yeah,that's why I'm hoping he might come back.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:24 pm

AVB has got a big task on his hands with Tottenham this year,he'll need to get off the ground running,or pressure will mount on him quickly.

I hope you can keep hold of Modric,though that Oscar kid looks like he could make a good replacement if you get him.
    Though it would probably be asking a lot of him to fit straight away,into playing in the Prem.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:32 pm

He'd be a good signing for anyone in the Championship and on a free too.

I think AVB is a great appointment for Spurs the probably he had at Chelsea was the ego's and rushing the much needed overhaul in the squad. I think Spurs is a good fit for him as long as he is given time and backed by the Board although I can see the media and probably some fans on his case instantly.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:22 am

AVB is a fantastic appointment by Spurs, best manager they could have got IMO. He'll do well there if he's given the backing. Players will buy into his philosophies because they're pros and not egotistical wankers like those at the toxic small club with no fans. Working for a proper owner, with professional players, at a big club with real fans, AVB will do well.

I'd expect to see massive improvements in Walker, Sandro and Bale. They'll all be key to Spurs next season. Scotty Parker might as well get used to the bench, no place for such a limited player under AVB.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Seems Robin van Persie is leaving Arsenal he has officially announced he will not be extending his contract with them.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:28 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:Seems Robin van Persie is leaving Arsenal he has officially announced he will not be extending his contract with them.

Where did you get this from, Cowboy?
    Great news for a Spurs fan, mate!
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:29 pm

poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:32 pm

Cheers mate, great news!
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:34 pm

As for a Top 4 Team I think this kills their chances stone dead If he goes this summer.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:39 pm

He is so influential, not saying they haven't good players, but he has carried them for the last two seasons. I can't see anyone they have could step into his shoes?

At least, I hope not!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:42 am

With Podolski and Giroud arriving, they could well replace him in terms of goals. The issue is that they won't get any better, and with Spurs, Liverpool and the small club with no fans certain to improve next season, Arsenal could well find themselves in 6th or 7th.
    kavik2
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  kavik2 Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:26 pm

I can't understand why they keep letting there players run down to 12 month contracts, think wallcot is also down to his last 12 months.

or it is Karma for Sol Cambell.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:12 am

Anfiled, what do you think of Sigurdsson chosing Spurs at the last minute?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 9:15 pm