THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+12
quicksuperlee
SirSquatAlot
payneNglory1
ChelseaQuinsfan
Once Mohawked Pete
Mryzyz
manschesthair_utd
pinsman
Cowboys From Hell
efils_god
Ginginho
Anfields5thKing
16 posters

The Music Thread

SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

The Music Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: The Music Thread

Post  SirSquatAlot Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:04 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:Zakk Wylde's solo stuff is great. Big fan of book of shadows.

If you're looking for a great metal guitarist it's hard to look beyond Dave Mustaine. The best metal rhythm guitarist of all time for me.

Personally my two favourite guitarists right now are Marc Rizzo and John 5. Their solo albums are incredible. There's very few guitarists right now who are innovative and really pushing the boundaries. They are two of them.

I went to see Rob Zombie earlier this year and he had Joey Jordison on drums and John 5 on guitar! I couldn't believe my luck when i saw them coming on stage. Rob Zombie was amazing as well, great live show with a 12 foot zombie jesus running about the stage! Smile

Totally agree with your Dave Mustaine comment too. I was arguing with somebody the other day who said Kirk Hammit was a better guitar player?? I really don't rate him at all.
    SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  SirSquatAlot Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:08 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:As for the guitarist debate, my all time favorite is probably Hendrix but today I'm a huge fan of Wylde. But for me the best guitarist's in metal are probably found in melodic death metal.

Alexi Laiho of Children Bodom is insane. I'm not a massive fan of this band, but boy can this lad play.

Children of Bodom would be a whole lot better if it wasn't for the fucking keyboard solos!!!
    SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  SirSquatAlot Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:19 am

If anybody is a fan of SuperGroups then check out Black Country Communion. I was lucky enough to see them earlier this year and as far as live shows go it's in my top 5 of all time, and i've been to A LOT of gigs.

The band is Glenn Hughes, ex Deep Purple and Black Sabbath.

Joe Bonamassa who is one of the best guitar players i've heard in a long time. Primarily Blues but he's so adaptable and he's got a really recognisable style which is rare these days.

Derek Sherinian, Dream Theatre keyboard player. and...

Jason Bonham on drums! The son of the late great John Bonham and he's arguably just as good!

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:44 am

Yeah BCC are pretty good enjoyed the first record TBH I haven't heard the 2nd one yet any good ?.

I've been listening to Cave In's White Silence a lot recently great band and great record bit of a slow burner for me.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:53 am

Totally agree with BCC and also love the 1st Chickenfoot album (Sammy Hagar & Michael Anthony Van Halen, Chad Smith RHCP and Joe Satriani), their most recent one isn't quite as good.

An act I've been listening to loads recently, and quite a departure from what I normally listen to, is 'God is an Astronaut', really beautiful instrumental.

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:47 pm

Seen children of bordem before their shit... Jordson is quality on the skins!

Chelsea, being from Coventry I love napalm death and doom band cathedra, love lee Dorians voice!

Can't believe how many rock heads there are here...! Many of you into slightly milder stuff too like qotsa?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Loved most of the stuff that came from the Grunge scene mate......Huge fan of Kyuss, Hermano, Alice in Chains, Paw, Soundgarden, Tad, Nirvana, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Screaming Trees, Blind Melon, Brad, Candlebox, Mad Season, Green River etc.

With regards to mellow stuff, love Elvis Costello, Ben Harper, Billy Bragg, Weller, a lot of the old soul stuff like Bobby Blue Bland, Otis and Curtis Mayfield.

Speaking of Coventry though, responsible IMO for some of the best music to come out of my generation, with the Ska revival in the late 70s.....How good were these?

And these from Brum......

SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  SirSquatAlot Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Cowboys From Hell wrote:Yeah BCC are pretty good enjoyed the first record TBH I haven't heard the 2nd one yet any good ?.

Yeah, i actually thought the second album was better. Much rockier.

I'm into quieter stuff too, Joe Bonamassa done a recent album with a chick called Beth Hart who's like a modern day joplin if anybody is into that.

Love acoustic guitar players to, guys like Tommy Emmanuell and Justin King.

Any of you guys play or have demos or anything? Would be interested in having a listen to anything anybody has recorded.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:54 pm

My auntie used to knock around with the specials when she was younger so been bought up on that sort of stuff! Ghost town somes up Coventry beautifly! Sabbath are obv brummies so theres another midlands band
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:38 pm

pinsman wrote:My auntie used to knock around with the specials

So many jokes to be had with that statement, but given that I am a gentleman, I regress.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Yep I quite like Queens of the Stone age as well, psychedelic rock is just so chilled to listen to. When it comes to softer shit I like Kyuss, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Soundgarden, The grateful dead, the Who (Keith Moon is a legend) Alice Cooper, Iggy and a couple more as well. I'm not a huge Nirvana fan but Smells like teen spirit is a classic.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:10 pm

Ha ha yeh set myself up a little on that one anfield
    quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:42 pm

why is noone into ordinary music like me?

i love britanny spears, steps, cristina aguilera, etc etc!!!!!

joke!!!

stone roses, the doors, the charlatans..late 80's early 90's music is the best!!!

yes im still stuck in the 'madchester' scene!!
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:15 pm

Nowt wrong with the Stone Roses I got to be honest I was surprised they reformed earlier this year that was very unexpected.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:52 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    Speaking of Coventry though, responsible IMO for some of the best music to come out of my generation, with the Ska revival in the late 70s.....How good were these?

I love you

pinsman wrote:My auntie used to knock around with the specials when she was younger so been bought up on that sort of stuff! Ghost town somes up Coventry beautifly! Sabbath are obv brummies so theres another midlands band

and unfortunatley i have to agree about that.

anyways i'm somewhat suprised and alarmed about the number of metal fanatics on the armbar!! affraid
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Same here Chestie!! affraid

Being (probably) the youngest on the forum I feel completely left out. I haven't even heard of half these bands! Laughing
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:12 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Same here Chestie!! affraid

Being (probably) the youngest on the forum I feel completely left out. I haven't even heard of half these bands! Laughing

I'm in the same boat as you Axe Very Happy
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:41 pm

It's not really an age thing lads. I'm the same age as you two but I know most of the bands talked about. It's a subculture thing, when you get into a genre of music, especially metal you just always go look for more music and end up finding all the classics of the genre.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:53 pm

Ha ha I feed off finding new stuff! Love hearing something different you give a few of the bands mentioned a go axe, might warp your mind!!

Been listening to Dillinger escape Plan today in the car the album calculating infinaty, tiz brutal!!

Also anyone wanna see one of the most insane music videos ever? Aphex twin - rubber johnny!

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=GB#/watch?v=Dy6W9Ko9VlQ

You gota watch the whole thing weird as funk!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:57 pm

I tried to be open and give the first few thrash tunes a listen,but I just can't do it,but everyone to there own,it would be a shitty boring world if we all enjoyed the same stuff.

The actual tunes were alright,but that "I have just had throat surgery and I'm now going to do my best scarey voice to scare the kids" just doesn't do it for me.
    I couldn't tell the difference between the first few singers(and I feel I'm using that word very loosely in that statement)it seemed like they were all doing the same impression.

Love the Specials and English beat and I also had never heard before but liked some of the first tunes pete (even them band of noodle men)put up though,good tunes with singers that don't make me want to run my nails down a chalkboard to drown the sound out.

Pete when I win the lottery,I'll fly you out to the state to DJ the big party I'll be having.

SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  SirSquatAlot Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:11 am

Just home from seeing Steel Panther, Mötley Crüe and Def Leppard. Steel Panther were the best band on the bill, check them out if you get a chance.

Motley Crüe, great stage show but celebrating their 30th year and it showed, Tommy Lee is still outstanding on drums but the rest are showing their age.

Def Leppard were good at what they do but after three songs they started an acoustic set which got boring pretty quick.

Anyways, afer three nights of gigging this week I'm officially fucked, bed time!
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:21 am

payneNglory1 wrote:I tried to be open and give the first few thrash tunes a listen,but I just can't do it,but everyone to there own,it would be a shitty boring world if we all enjoyed the same stuff.

The actual tunes were alright,but that "I have just had throat surgery and I'm now going to do my best scarey voice to scare the kids" just doesn't do it for me.
    I couldn't tell the difference between the first few singers(and I feel I'm using that word very loosely in that statement)it seemed like they were all doing the same impression.

Love the Specials and English beat and I also had never heard before but liked some of the first tunes pete (even them band of noodle men)put up though,good tunes with singers that don't make me want to run my nails down a chalkboard to drown the sound out.

Pete when I win the lottery,I'll fly you out to the state to DJ the big party I'll be having.

I'll take you up on that dude........When you winning it like?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:48 am

Jesus lads how ever did so many people into Angry Death Metal get into such a violent sport! Laughing

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Wow there is a huge age discrepancy on this forum. Anyway i havent heard most of these bands either.

So lets talk best song of 2011??

Cool
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:29 pm

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:28 am