THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
Mryzyz
ChelseaQuinsfan
Anfields5thKing
Once Mohawked Pete
Cowboys From Hell
efils_god
redmeanie77
p4pnumber_1
Ginginho
rudeboyben84
14 posters

UFC 144 thread

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC 144 thread Empty UFC 144 thread

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:48 pm

Just wondering peoples thoughts on UFC 144, really looking forward to a few fights on it. Makes me miss getting the undercards on TV for free because Kid, Gomi and Mizugaki are all on the undercard and youd bet 1 or 2 of them will end with a nice KO...

Anyway Edgar is probabally always going to be the most under rated of the champs in MMA and id not be supprised to hear a load of people here picking Bendo. I am. People say Edgar should be a 145er and I reckon he could be a 135er B.Hendo is a big Physical guy and where as other big guys in the devision have looked a litter slower than Edgar I think Ben isnt going to have that problem. I dont think Edgars footwork will stop someone as explosive as Ben off him and once they tie up his is going to get dragged down. I dont think Edgar will want to Grapple at all. I think Ben wins in that department striking Frankies good reach for a shortarse always helps him combined with his footwork but Ben will be able to kicks him and the threat of a headkick is always there too. Reckon a UD in a competitive fight but for me I reckon this is the fight Edgar takes a loss and moved to 145.

Rampage vs Bader im going to back Rampage all day. Rampage has lost a step as a fighter. Back in the day when he was breezing through Liddell fights he was a monster but I think he is getting on a bit, in terms of having so many wars under his belt I think hes slowed a bit and isnt as hungry for the win. But I still think he is 10 steps ahead of what Bader has ever been. Bader would have to mix up his standup and wrestling and stall rampage like evans did to win on points, but he isnt Evans, there are only a handfull of guys who could do that to Rampage and I dont think Bader is one of them. Bader fought a good fight against Nog but Rampage is seriously hard to out Wrestle, I think Bader is going to sleep with a hook to the Jaw.

Akiyama vs Shields is one that Ive no Idea how it will play out. Shields tactic will always be to get the fight to the ground, he would fight Shinya Aoki and have reservations about striking with him! Laughing Seriously he is 100% grappler, as much of a single mindset as fitch, only Shields has a good JJ game and is less keen on the humping. Has anyone seen Akiyama get taken down though? Sexyman looks like a big Ww too, in a who takes who down grappling fight he would drop shields on his head. For me this one is the Ultimate Grappler vs the Ultimate Anti-Grappler. Akiyama has better striking though. It sounds totally crazy but I reckon Akiyama is going to keep this fight standing enough to do damage to Shields and win even if he doesnt get a KO.... anyone think its worth a bet in the bookies? Im sure hes a big underdog.

Kongo is going to outwrestle Hunt. Pushing against the fence, the Odd TD, Hunt stuck on his back... Repeat for 3 rounds. Kongo isnt coming to strike with Hunt. Why would you. Kongo UD

Hioki's stocked dropped a bit and made people reevaluate him as the number 2 Fw after his fight with Roop. For most of his career Bart hasnt really been on the radar as a big fighter, Guys like Lamas and Kamal whats his face were able to get him to the ground and fight their own fight, I cant see Hioki not doing the same. I think he is going to look good in this won and win by Sub. He is riding a massive high beating Tyson compared to Hioki's performance and maby is the guy in better form? but Im still backing Hioki.

Okami is going to do what he does best and grind out a boring UD.

Pettis Vs Lauzon could be fight of the night, my most looked forward to fight on the card for sure. Lauzon has beat 2 former champs in Pulver and MTB when he was a kid, He just put in the performance of his career against Guilard who was right up there for a shot, I know Melvin gets subbed but who puts him on shaky legs and to the floor like that. Lauzon has never really stood out from the pack before but I see him strike like that and I think he could be champ. Pettis fight with Stephens he used his grappling, Taking Joe down is a good way to end your own night early. Lauzon will win I reckon could be a SD

Heres the press confrence pics.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/2/23/2818475/ufc-144-press-conference-photos#3039980
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 144 thread Empty Re: UFC 144 thread

Post  Ginginho Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:39 pm

I'm really looking forward to this event because I will be able to watch the whole event bar one live on my TV.

I hoping for....

Benson to finish Edgar
    Rampage to slam Bader through the floor
    A grappling masterclass in the Shields-Akiyama fight
    Mark Hunt finishing a 4 minute brawl with a walk away upper cut

So it is likely none of these will happen now Sad

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:49 pm

Hunt KOing Kongo would be awsome, Mir flattened Kongo on the feet so Id imagine he will be shitting himself at the though of Banging it out with the Super Samoan.

Whats the craic with Hunt these days? You know where he trains out of? Wonder what type of shape is in for this one?
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:38 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Hunt KOing Kongo would be awsome, Mir flattened Kongo on the feet so Id imagine he will be shitting himself at the though of Banging it out with the Super Samoan.

Whats the craic with Hunt these days? You know where he trains out of? Wonder what type of shape is in for this one?

I think he still lives in Australia but prepares for his fights with American Top Team. Ricardo Liborio is being credited with the improvements to his ground game of late so I hope he is sticking with it.

I have read that Kongo isn't that keen on the fight because it is against an old training partner and that he thinks it is a little "disrespectful" to be fighting him. Kongo doesn't seem to have the best chin so hopefully Hunt gets a good couple of punches in before it hits the ground.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:37 pm

I see this event as the "underdog" event. I can see a few upsets on the cards.

Lauzon to beat Pettis.
    Boetsh to beat Okami.
    Benson to beat Edgar.
    Bart to beat Hioki.
    Bader to beat Rampage. (Cant really see this one to be truthful, but there could always be a lay and pray win for Bader here.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:41 pm

I know Rampage was real keen to fight in Japan - I wonder if he will walk out to the Pride theme music??
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:55 pm

Edgar-Bendo is going to be FOTY contender i think, im hoping Edgar wins a decision, i cant see a stoppage here either way.

Rampage-Bader = Rampage-Hamill, cant see this being an exciting fight at all.

I think Kongo will use same tactics as he did against Buentello, and maybe getting late tko stoppage.

I cant see Lauzon winning at all, Boetsch should beat Okami, and if Sexyama has a good weight cut then this will be tough fight for Shields and Akiyama is very difficult to take down. Although Akiyama will more than likely gas after 1st round and Shields wears him out.

Looking forward to UFC back in Japan, i keep imagining it in a ring for some reason, like Pride... Haha
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:41 am

I think i have counted Frankie out too many times, so i have to back him this time! I think he takes a UD.

Have to pick Rampage to beat Bader, i think either by KO or UD, as mentioned, similar to Rampage-Hamill.

Kongo should beat Hunt if he fights smart, tiring him out, taking him down and beating him up for a later TKO.

I can only see an Okami win, he's faced much the tougher fighters, and can't see Boetsch winning this! You really see him winning meanie? It'll probably be a UD for Okami.

I have to go for Pettis in the Lauzon fight. Lauzon is good, but he tends to get an upset victory every now and then, and then not push on from there. I think the guida loss did wonders for Pettis, and he'll really kick on from here. He takes it by TKO or UD.

Hoping for Hioki to produce in his home country too, and maybe challenge Aldo afterwards (although i think Aldo beats him). He should beat Bart if he fights smart.

In any case it's an awesome card, loads of interesting, relevant fights
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 am

redmeanie77 wrote:

Edgar-Bendo is going to be FOTY contender i think, im hoping Edgar wins a decision, i cant see a stoppage here either way.

Rampage-Bader = Rampage-Hamill, cant see this being an exciting fight at all.

I think Kongo will use same tactics as he did against Buentello, and maybe getting late tko stoppage.

I cant see Lauzon winning at all, Boetsch should beat Okami, and if Sexyama has a good weight cut then this will be tough fight for Shields and Akiyama is very difficult to take down. Although Akiyama will more than likely gas after 1st round and Shields wears him out.

Looking forward to UFC back in Japan, i keep imagining it in a ring for some reason, like Pride... Haha

Thats true about Akiayam his cardio might not hold up and as good as his TDD is he might end up too gassed to fight Shields off if the pace is high. I really want him to win, And I want to see some Judo out of him, were well overdue a Karo parysian style throw out of him!
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:40 pm

Yeah i forgot, i think shields takes a UD after Akiyama gasses after 1 round.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:19 pm

Super pumped for this weekend some great Boxing action too with Alexander vs Maidana, Fwanks card & Lee McAllister aims for the Euro crown. cheers

Looking forward too the UFC card god I hope Hunt KTFO of Kongo probably my main hope for the card. I think Akiyama vs Shields is an interesting fight too since dropping too 170 again Shields has looked weak and unimpressive (personally I hope he goes back to 185) Think Sexyama like some have said needs to win this fight in the 1st Round. I think Boetsch will upset Okami & I expect Hioki too bat Bart pretty handily too.

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Am i missing something or is there areason you guys all think Boetsch will beat Okami?

Who has he beaten? Kendall Grove? I think Okami totally dominates him. He has beaten much better fighters than Boetch - Munoz, Marquardt etc etc.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:09 pm

Really loking forward to this, cannot wait for Edgar/Bendo, also think it will be FOTY candidate, I have Bendo just edging it (UD), Would love to see Edgar drop to 145, there's a ton of good fights there for him. All that said, I've backed against him the last twice, and he's proven me wrong both times.

Whilst I'd love to see Rampage remember what made him a great fighter, although I don't think we'll see anything different, with Rampage head-hunting and Bader playing for a UD, which I can see him getting.

As much as it pains me, I also have Kongo grinding outaresult against Hunt, and the Sexy one to gas and get cut. Personally, I think that Okami's a bad match up for Boetsch and I'm backing Okami to get the decision here (maybe that's why I'm languishig near the bottom of the predictions league).

What time does it all kick off?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Bendo to UD Frankie.
    Bader to wrestlefuck Rampage
    Kongo to cheat against Hunt
    Shields to bore the crowd, and possibly Sexyama, to sleep on route to a Wrestlefuck UD.
    Pettis to beat J-Lau and set up the fight of year - rematch between him and Bendo for the title.
    Okami to beat Boetsch easily (bizarre comment from Meanie that Boetsch should win)

What time does it start in the UK? Is it the usual 1am for pre-lims?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:20 pm

By should, i mean im expecting Boetsch to win, on paper this is Okami fight as he his higher ranked and probably bookies favourite aswell. But Boetsch is the dark horse in this division and i see him handling Okami tomorrow night.

Yes i think 4 prelim fx fights start at 1am, but there is 1 facebook fight before that sometime.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:29 pm

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Boetsch's losses are to The Janitor, Hamill, Brilz and Davis. Grapplers. The only 4 high level grapplers he's ever faced, and in the janitor and Davis, the only two good fighters he's ever faced. Okami is better than any of them, and he's a high level grappler. This is Okami's fight all day long unless he comes in with a hangover from the Anderson fight. Boetsch is a dark horse to crack the top 15 maybe, Okami is top 5 and has been for a while.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:11 am

I personally agree that Boetsch is a dark horse in this division. He was a late replacement vs Vlady and Hamill. Pretty close fight with Brilz, and then of course the Davis defeat. But you have to remember, these were all at LHW. He has a HUGE strength advantage at MW.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:18 am

So Jackson missed weight, weighed in 211 pounds. Is this evidence that his heart is no longer in MMA?
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Apparently he had an injury during the camp that prevented him running much etc. But he cut 21 pounds yesterday to get to 211.....

Tempted to change my pick now.....!

Edit just seen the video, Rampgae look awfully out of shape! You guys think Bader takes this now....? Rampage may gas badly....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:42 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:I personally agree that Boetsch is a dark horse in this division. He was a late replacement vs Vlady and Hamill. Pretty close fight with Brilz, and then of course the Davis defeat. But you have to remember, these were all at LHW. He has a HUGE strength advantage at MW.

Not against Okami he doesn't. Okami is probably the biggest guy at MW and would be a good sized LHW.

Boetsch was a late replacement against Vladi, not against Hamill. He had 6 weeks to prepare for Hamill.

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Yeah i gotta agree, don't think Boetsch even has a strength advantage. Okami all day.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Just watched the weigh-ins, Okami looks quite a bit bigger than Boetsch.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:21 pm

efils_god wrote:Apparently he had an injury during the camp that prevented him running much etc. But he cut 21 pounds yesterday to get to 211.....

Tempted to change my pick now.....!

Edit just seen the video, Rampgae look awfully out of shape! You guys think Bader takes this now....? Rampage may gas badly....

I'm changing my pick.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:38 pm

Me too. If Rampage loses i think he retires.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:58 am