THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+25
superman_punch
Once Mohawked Pete
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
mikeyboybisping
hendos_right_hook
GSPfan11
threeofclubs
pinsman
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
The_Axe_Emperor
poz
Mryzyz
ChelseaQuinsfan
redmeanie77
Ginginho
Anfields5thKing
p4pnumber_1
manschesthair_utd
gre660wl
2brutal
Cowboys From Hell
Shanemc
the_king
Sheldan
29 posters

Boxing discussion

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Boxing discussion - Page 3 Empty Re: Boxing discussion

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:20 am

Orthodox boxers don't push off their little toe anyway so his excuse was even more pathetic than it sounded.

I hope Vitali fights him after he beats Adamek. Vitali will destroy him.

Anyone with a good jab and a solid chin will beat Haye. His record is actually very poor. He's got, at most, 2 impressive wins on it.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:14 am

Kevin Mitchell has a virus and so his planned fight with John Murray that was set to happen on Saturday has been pushed back until the Liverpool card on the 16th July, so he's fighting on the same bill as Tony Bellew VS Ovil McKenzie and Ricky Burns VS Nicky Cook, damn thats a good card.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:31 am

Sheldan wrote:Kevin Mitchell has a virus and so his planned fight with John Murray that was set to happen on Saturday has been pushed back until the Liverpool card on the 16th July, so he's fighting on the same bill as Tony Bellew VS Ovil McKenzie and Ricky Burns VS Nicky Cook, damn thats a good card.

I've been told by many people that the real reason is the fight barely sold over 1000 Tickets and Warren & Mitchell are using the "Virus" as an excuse TBH it is a sensible move by Fwank and makes the Liverpool card look even better.

From what I have also been told the rest of the card was being moved to the York Hall Saturday with Billy Joe Saunders headlining but that has now been now scraped due to time issues apparently.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:44 pm

Former British super-middleweight champion James DeGale will challenge for the European title in September against Poland's Piotr Wilczewski.

It will be the 25-year-old's first bout since losing the British title on points to George Groves in May.

Wilczewski, who won the vacant European and WBO Intercontinental titles in March, has lost only once in 30 fights.

"Challenging for the European title is a fantastic opportunity to get myself back in the big picture," DeGale said.

"I've been hard in training since my last fight and I'm ready to box tomorrow if I need to, come September I'll be in great shape."

DeGale's loss to Groves in May was contentious. The Londoner had been heavily favoured to beat his long-term rival, but lost on a split decision.

"The fight with Groves is in the past, I still believe I beat him, but I'm a positive person and now I'm focused on the future and a win will put me in a great position for a world title," he said.
    Continue reading the main story

I'm focused on the future and a win will put me in a great position for a world title

James DeGale

"My promoter Frank Warren has done a great job in getting me home advantage for this title shot and now I've got to go out there, do the business and win it in style.

"In fact, I'm about to sign a new three-year deal with Frank and I'm really happy that he will continue to build my career, as he has done since I turned professional.

"He brought Amir Khan back from a devastating knockout loss to a world title in only three fights so I know that he can do it for me," DeGale added.

Prior to his defeat to Groves, the former Olympic gold medallist had won his first 10 fights.

And Warren believes the bout with Wilczewski is a pivotal moment in his career.

"This is a make or break fight for James," he said.

"He's got a big opportunity in front of him against Wilczewski and now has to go out there and deliver the goods and show the fans what he can do."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So DeGale loses to Groves and ends up getting the best possible fight either of them could have got... scratch
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Good old Fwanky Warren no doubt DeGale will also get a lofty WBO Ranking too This is an easy fight for DeGale I don't think Wily has the power or movement to trouble DeGale.

Macklin vs Strum is set for November 26 according to a few sites too cheers
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Just seen that too mate, Macklin deserves the rematch but I think Sturm will edge it this time, his prepartion for the Macklin fight was terrible, and he really underestimaed him, now that he knows what he can offer, Sturm will prepare a lot harder.. that's if he actually does get the rematch!
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:15 pm

I think a rematch is right especially with Martinez tied up and It being a close fight (I suppose Geale was a possibility too who beat Sylvester in May).

I hope Macklin learns to pace himself this time but like yourself I think Strum will win again I think Strum will be better prepared for Macklin this time.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Martinez would destroy either Macklin or Sturm. Someone needs to get King Arthur to drop back down to 160 to provide a challenge.

DeGale's a far better fighter than Groves. He under-estimated him and lost a close fight but I'd have no doubt he'd beat him in a rematch.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:15 pm

Both Pavlik and Abraham need to drop down, can't see much of a future for either of them at super-middleweight with the likes of Bute, Ward, Froch, Kessler and Dirrell around, so they might as well drop back down to middleweight, seeing how other than Martinez, I see them beating any of the other top middleweights out there.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:25 pm

It seems Abraham is going back down to MW (A good move IMO) The move to SMW was a poor choice but no one can fault his ambitions and reasons why he went up fair play to him.

I'm not too sure how It goes for him back down MW people like Sturm, Martinez & Williams I'm convinced will beat him handsomely. I think the key thing for Abraham is where he is mentally he has been completely outclassed in his his last few performances (Can't count the Bozic fight though) and hs took away the aura he once had.

Fights like Macklin, Geale and Chavez Jnr I think he has pretty good chance against a Macklin fight could be a potentially mouth watering fight.

Unlike Abraham I think Pavlik is fine at SMW I think he can give Bute huge problems If he is mentally and physically right (Mentally I'm not sure about especially seeing the Ink he is sporting recently he should be suing that Tattoo "Artist"Laughing) Bute is a fantastic Boxer but has been fighting some poor Boxers recently and his chin isn't the best a Pavlik will really test his chin.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:53 am

I think Arthur only moved up because of the offer he got for the tournament. I think he's a world champ at MW if he drops back down. He'd give Martinez a good fight IMO.

Pavlik should stay at SMW like Cowboy said. He's a good size for the weight class and I agree that he'd give Bute a really tough time. It's all irrelevant though because Andre Ward is the King at 168.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:56 pm

Anyone see the Lara - Williams robbery that was shocking also I'd advise people to catch the Rios vs Antillion fight It was a cracker.

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:45 pm

I heard about the Williams fight, apparently HBO scored the fight 117-111 for Lara, so that tells you how bad the judging was.

Lucian Bute's fight with Jean Paul Mendy was free on Primetime on Saturday, so that was a nice surprise, here is the end of the fight.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:01 pm

I watched the Williams fight and turned over the channel before the announced the scores because I thought it was obvious he lost.
    Shocked to read the next day that Lara got robbed.

Looks like Goosen couldn't afford for his boy to take back to back loses.
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:18 pm

David Tua fights for possibly the last time against Monte Barrett in Auckland on August the 13th. Nice guy who never really reached his potential and yet, one of NZs best ever.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:19 pm

The fallout from the controversial decision in the Paul Williams-Erislandy Lara junior middleweight bout continued Wednesday when the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board took the highly unusual action of indefinitely suspending the three judges who worked the 12-round bout.

Williams was given a heavily criticized majority decision victory Saturday night as judges Hilton Whitaker (115-114) and Don Givens (116-114) scored for him, while Al Bennett (114-114) had the HBO-televised main event at Boardwalk Hall's Adrian Phillips Ballroom a draw.

Upset with the verdict of Paul Williams' decision win over Erislandy Lara? Don't count on getting a rematch, ESPN.com's Dan Rafael writes. Blog.

Lara, a former Cuban amateur star in his first major professional fight, however, landed his left hand at will. He appeared to win in the eyes of reporters covering the fight, all of HBO's commentators, HBO unofficial judge Harold Lederman and the pro-Williams crowd, which booed the decision. An overwhelming number of television viewers also took to Twitter and boxing message boards to voice their outrage over the decision.

CompuBox statistics were also telling: Williams was credited with landing 200 of 1,047 punches, 19 percent, while Lara was credited with landing 224 of 530 punches (42 percent). The official judges, who sit on different sides of the ring from each other, do not have access to CompuBox statistics during the fight.

In a letter obtained by ESPN.com, New Jersey commissioner Aaron M. Davis wrote to Lara promoter Dave Itskowitch of Golden Boy Promotions and Williams' promoter Dan Goossen informing them of the decision, which came after a video review of the fight with the judges.

"The New Jersey State Athletic Control Board was responsible for assigning all three judges who scored this contest and decided the outcome," Davis wrote in the letter. "At the conclusion of the contest, this agency had concerns about the final scores. Due to these concerns we decided to conduct a full review of the scoring.

"As part of this review, the NJSACB called in all three judges to our Trenton offices and conducted a full analysis of the scoring of each round."

Davis said that the review of the fight was complete and the NJSACB "has not found any evidence of bias, fraud, corruption or incapacity on the part of any of the judges. However, we remain unsatisfied with the scoring of the contest even after hearing the explanations from the judges.

"The NJSACB does not have the legal authority under these circumstances to invalidate the official result. This is due to the fact that all scoring is a matter of subjective judgment. In a similar fashion we cannot mandate a rematch. However, our opinion is that a rematch may be warranted.

"This agency has placed all three judges on indefinite suspension. Further, all three judges will be required to undergo additional training prior to their return to professional boxing judging."

Davis went further in apologizing for the lackluster judging.

"Any contestant who enters a ring or cage in our state deserves the best officiating that we can provide," Davis wrote. "While we do not mean to diminish Mr. Williams' competitive spirit and exciting style, we feel that we did not provide our best officiating on July 9. Because we have a rich history of boxing and combat sports in New Jersey, we aspire to consistently improve in our officiating and strive to learn from this situation. We have no further comment on this matter at the current time."

Williams (40-2, 27 KOs), a former two-time welterweight titlist, was returning to the ring for the first time since being brutally knocked out in the second round by middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in November.

After the fight, Lara (15-1-1, 10 KOs) and his team were upset, believing Lara had won.

"We've been saying since the fight that we thought Lara won and Lara thought he won," Itskowitch told ESPN.com. "This helps to validate what we've been saying."

Although Lara would like a rematch, Goossen has not shown any interest, mainly because of the continuing difficulty Williams has when fighting a left-hander. Both of his official losses were to southpaws. He also won a controversial majority decision against Martinez in their first fight in addition to the hard time he had with Lara.

As for New Jersey suspending the judges, Goossen told ESPN.com, "The only thoughts I've had are what I've had from the beginning, which is what I said after the fight, that it could have gone either way. I've heard people say there was corruption in the decision, but we've got a good sport. There is no corruption here. It was a tough fight that could have gone either way.

"My difference of opinion that I argue is against those who thought Lara won by such a wide margin. Lara did an excellent job and so did Paul. As far as I'm concerned, if New Jersey felt this was appropriate, they're a good commission, and there's nothing more for me to say on it."
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Kevin Mitchell VS John Murray made up for the rest of the night's card, I thought Murray would win so fair play to Mitchell for getting the stoppage in the 8th, it was a great fight. Tony Bellew's performance was poor, and if he actually thinks that he put on a boxing masterclass then he is deluded, I can't wait to see Cleverly put him to sleep. How Nicky Cook got through a training camp I don't know, 6 seconds until he went down holding his back, I hope it's nothing serious but he shouldn't have even been in the ring. Frankie Gavin needs to drop down to light-welterweight, he's got potential to be the next Audley Harrison if he doesn't start taking his boxing as seriously as he should.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:14 pm

Very odd card last night thank god the Main Event lived up to expectations I felt Mitchell would win the fight but not in the manner he did. I fully expected Murray as usual to be coming forward using constant pressure on his opponent but didn't expect Mitchell to go toe to toe with Murray.

As much as like Murray he is so damn predictable and feared this would happen once he step upped in competition (personally I blame his old promoter Mick Hennessey) cracking fight though It seems the winner is supposed to fight Brandon Rios next which could be another great fight.

I hope McGuigan's rant opens Gavin's eyes but I doubt It the fact Woodhouse took him to a split decision Is a real bad sign of where he is at ATM.

Bellew is completely deluded that's the only thing I'm saying about him and the fight as for Burns vs Cook It was disgraceful that fight went ahead I don't blame Cook for anything as the chance of going for a World Title doesn't grow on trees.

Surely the medical staff should be investigated for letting a man with chronic back problems go in to fight in his condition word always gets around about injuries about fights (Gary Newbon & John Rawlings mentioned the open conversation they had with Cook) so surely somebody should have investigated the situation.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:00 pm

Who you see winning Chisora VS Fury and Khan VS Judah next weekend?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Think Del Boy will stop Luke late on I don't rate either but out of the 2 I'd say Chisora is the better boxer overall.

Really hoping Zab pulls this off and Zab does look rejuvenated since hooking up with Sweet Pea but all signs point to a Khan decision.

I feel Khan's speed and blistering combo's will be the key in the fight I don't think Zab will be able to cope with Khan saying that If Zab catches Khan It will be good night unlike the wild swinging arm puncher that is Maidana Zab will finish the job If he catches Khan.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:53 pm

I've got Chisora to stop Fury late on as well, only factor that might alter that is how Chisora does against Fury's height, if Fury can keep the distance well he could get the win, Fury seems to think he could beat Klitschko which is laughable.

I think Khan will get the win, I think Judah is far past his best, and Khan will probably offer too much in the speed department for Judah to really trouble him, i've got Khan winning by decision. Have you heard about Khan's path to Mayweather? He said after he beats Judah, he'll face Erik Morales (who after losing to Maidana, now faces British lightweight champion Anthony Crolla on the Mayweather-Ortiz undercard scratch ) then he'll face Kell Brook, and then Mayweather, i've never seen such an underserving way of getting to Mayweather.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:25 pm

[quote]
    Statement from Alistair Overeem:

"I would love to fight one of the Klitschko brothers. I think it will be great to see how one combat sport world champion will do against another world champion. There are many reasons to challenge him: boxing has been the No. 1 combat sport for years and MMA is growing and closing the gap with boxing. I would like to bring both worlds together by being the first MMA and K-1 champion to cross over into boxing.

There are many boxers that have competed in K-1 or MMA but vice versa, it's something that has not been done yet, so why not? I always like to challenge myself. I like to try new things. I know that a lot of people will call me crazy and will think that a boxing champion will have the full advantage. I'm fully aware that I'm the underdog going into the fight, but that was the same thing when I fought K-1 champion Badr Hari. People thought I was foolish to even try to fight such a name as an MMA fighter, but I took the chance and I defeated him. Two years later, I was crowned the K-1 champion.

If you don't try, then you will never know. Nobody has ever seen two combat champions fight in a boxing match so I think that I have the credentials to try. My current contract allows me to fight another sport so now I can do it. The last reason I can think of is that I know that Klitschko doesn't have many challenges in boxing anymore. The heavyweight division isn't very interesting anymore, so maybe I can give some color to the division and make for an exciting fight. If I look at the David Haye vs Wladimir Klitschko fight, I was a little disappointed. Klitschko was much better. No disrespect to Haye, but I truly believe I can make a more exciting fight, win or lose. As a true fan of MMA, I always liked the concept to see different combat sports fighting it out, so I'm going to make a bold statement and challenge Klitschko under his rules and his terms. I'm not in any way trying to disrespect him by challenging him, but he and I know this fight will not go to a decision!

It's up to the fans' response. I only want to fight him if there is support in both boxing and MMA communities. If the fans want it, I'm in!"
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 pm

Happy for Mitchell wasn't sure how he would come back after the shambles against katsidis
    Gavin looked like Sanchez in the kampman fight way too small
    He could be the most overrated boxer ever

Khan points but Judah as a decent punch you never know

Chisora points
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:21 am

Did anyone see Sebastian Lujan a couple of weeks back on friday night fights? Epic performance, best fights ive seen in ages. Its well worth recording, there was 8 knockdowns last week in 3 fights!
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:04 pm

Danny Green has just got stopped and schooled by 42 year old Antonio Tarver in the 9th.

Edit: Here is the end of the fight Don't how long It will be up though Tarver shows he is still Magic, Man. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 6:08 pm