THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+30
p4pnumber_1
Mannpagejackson
2brutal
KalDog
Ronwah
Sly Uses
Sheldan
Mryzyz
Shanemc
Once Mohawked Pete
pinsman
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
kavik2
toonswagger
manschesthair_utd
Ginginho
poz
efils_god
redmeanie77
GSPfan11
sunthunder
payneNglory1
Albion_Oakley
the_king
hendos_right_hook
Moose Stuff For Money...
ChelseaQuinsfan
SirSquatAlot
Anfields5thKing
The_Axe_Emperor
34 posters

Football discussion

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Football discussion - Page 21 Empty Re: Football discussion

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue May 24, 2011 12:59 pm

George_Louis_Costanza@who wrote:Nice to see another Wolves fan on here glad we stayed up awesome news the Small Heath scrubbers went down watch the broke ass asian flee from the club now with his £26 in tow (surprisingly he leaves behind the £80M IOU).

I got 2 out of 3 for the drop I had West Scam and Blackpool for the drop go my way but The Geordie Hoofball thugs stayed up which was a crying shame crap owner crap moronic manager and deluded fans, meh at least yam ain't from Birmingham I suppose.

*YAWN*
    Got to love this often perpetuated myth that all Geordie (or even the majority) are deluded. As a Wolves fan, I'm surprised that you're accusing ANYONE of being a 'Hoofball thug', you only need to look at your teams 'handling' of Barton to emphasise my point. Seriously, how many Geordie fans have you spoken to, to get this inside knowledge of delusion? Or is this all based on the medias perception of NUFC? As a life-long supporter and resident of Newcastle, I know of very few fans that had ANY expectations of anything other than a long hard slog over the last four or five seasons.

I always thought you had some sense George, it would appear that it only applies to MMA though.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Tue May 24, 2011 1:26 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    George_Louis_Costanza@who wrote:Nice to see another Wolves fan on here glad we stayed up awesome news the Small Heath scrubbers went down watch the broke ass asian flee from the club now with his £26 in tow (surprisingly he leaves behind the £80M IOU).

I got 2 out of 3 for the drop I had West Scam and Blackpool for the drop go my way but The Geordie Hoofball thugs stayed up which was a crying shame crap owner crap moronic manager and deluded fans, meh at least yam ain't from Birmingham I suppose.

*YAWN*
    Got to love this often perpetuated myth that all Geordie (or even the majority) are deluded. As a Wolves fan, I'm surprised that you're accusing ANYONE of being a 'Hoofball thug', you only need to look at your teams 'handling' of Barton to emphasise my point. Seriously, how many Geordie fans have you spoken to, to get this inside knowledge of delusion? Or is this all based on the medias perception of NUFC? As a life-long supporter and resident of Newcastle, I know of very few fans that had ANY expectations of anything other than a long hard slog over the last four or five seasons.

I always thought you had some sense George, it would appear that it only applies to MMA though.

We are deluded I can't deny that there some idiots who still think McCarthy should be sacked even though he has kept us 2 years on the spin and has been our most successful manager in 30 years.

Didn't know you was a Newcastle fan Pete I send my condolences Very Happy

I was only winding you up Pete after the Wolves comments. Wink

Call a truce.

Football discussion - Page 21 Imager GIFSoup
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue May 24, 2011 1:28 pm

George_Louis_Costanza@who wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:

*YAWN*

We are deluded I can't deny that there some idiots who still think McCarthy should be sacked even though he has kept us 2 years on the spin and has been our most successful manager in 30 years.

Didn't know you was a Newcastle fan Pete I send my condolences Very Happy

I was only winding you up Pete after the Wolves comments. Wink

Call a truce.

Football discussion - Page 21 Imager GIFSoup

All good mate, suppose I bite a bit easily over 'deluded' comments, you try supporting a club like Newcastle for best part of 40years (and not winning owt), it makes you a little snappy at times.......GROUP HUG?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue May 24, 2011 5:12 pm

Looks like Liverpool have wrapped up Friedel, Marveaux and Adam already. Big signings on the way too by all accounts.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue May 24, 2011 5:37 pm

[quote="Anfields5thKing"]Looks like Liverpool have wrapped up Friedel, Marveaux and Adam already. Big signings on the way too by all accounts.
    [/quote
    Good signings, if they're confirmed, would you be happy with third next season anfield?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed May 25, 2011 7:53 pm

As long as we challenge and are in the title hunt going into April I'll be happy. The target has to be the title. We're not Everton or Spurs. 4th is not an aim. 4th is failure.

By the looks of things there could be about 7 signings this summer. 3 of which could be big money.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu May 26, 2011 7:30 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:As long as we challenge and are in the title hunt going into April I'll be happy. The target has to be the title. We're not Everton or Spurs. 4th is not an aim. 4th is failure.

By the looks of things there could be about 7 signings this summer. 3 of which could be big money.

Sounds reasonable, I would hope that you would be 'in the mix', I think that ManUre and Chelski may be too strong, but see you, Citeh and Spuds being in a battle for third.wouldn't mind you leaving Enrique alone though.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu May 26, 2011 3:47 pm

I hope we leave Enrique alone. Don't rate him at all. Can't defend and one assist all season? Not what we want from a fullback.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Thu May 26, 2011 6:19 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:I hope we leave Enrique alone. Don't rate him at all. Can't defend and one assist all season? Not what we want from a fullback.

Not sure how much you've seen of him Anfield, but, I think he's one of the best in the league mate. I hope that the men at the top at your club have the same feeling as you. I'm not sure what you base the 'Can't defend' statement on, he's pacey and very rarely has anyone got the better of him. There were some games (primarily towards the end of the season) where he didn't show his best, but in terms of consistancy he was one of our best players.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri May 27, 2011 2:31 am

I'd be very surprised if Friedel went to Liverpool. At his age he needs to play and I don't think he would if Reina stays which is looking likely. I think he'll stay at Villa or move to Spurs with Gomes leaving. Adam and Marveux seem quite likely to go though. I think Livepool need to get back in the top 4 before anything else. The title will be contested between us and Man utd as always with Manchester Sheiky and Arsenal possibly pushing us. Tevez looks like he's going to leave and he's there best player by far and who knows when it comes to Fabregas. Top 2 will be us and Manutd and the other two CL places will be between City, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool. City have the money, Arsenal are beginning to get the experience and it's going to be a massive season for Spurs. If they keep all there best players (Bale, Modric and VDV) and sign 2 more top players plus a better GK, they will have a good chance as well. That's not going to be easy at all, top 4 and a cup win would be a success for Liverpool I think.

I'm interested to see who we buy, and who are new mangers will be. I don't think it will be Mourinho or Hiddink by the looks of things. If we get the FC Porto coach I'd be delighted. I've heard Kaka, Tevez and Aguero as potential signings. As long as we get a RB and Torres hits form I think we'll have a very good season.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri May 27, 2011 4:47 am

Lukaku and Neymar are the most likely signings for Chelski. Aguero won't want to play with Torres again. Kaka has said he won't be going to a London club and Tevez wants to leave England so you can rule him out. Lukaku will replace Drogba, Neymar will replace Malouda and you'll still have Torres as the odd man out. Can't see Roman paying 14mil to buy out Villas-Boas either. Pellegrini has apparently been approached. His teams play great attacking football which would fit what Roman wants to see. Problem for Chelski is that they still believe Lampard can do the business over an entire season. Unless he quits the England set up, I don't think he can. He needs to take a page from the Giggs and Scholes guide to mid-30s premiership success. Just focus on club football, take a rest when the manager offers you one, and don't try and carry the team by yourself when you have better players around you.

Top two next season will be City plus 1 other. City have the best squad in the league and they're going to be able to attract big players this summer. That team with another year together and one or two key signings will be in the top 2. They're my bet for the title.

I think you're going to be in for a big surprise next year though. I think Chelsea will struggle to mount a challenge and could end up 4. If Roman goes and buys players and then gets a manager in, that's a recipe for disaster. He needs to focus on filling the vacancy first. Either way, Chelsea will have to adjust to a different style of play next season. New system and possible a bigger influx of players than they've had since Mourinho was there. It's been a fairly settled team for the last 4 years. There could be a lot of players leaving. Drogba, Malouda, Anelka to name but 3.

I'm hearing the Friedel deal is done. He was considering retirement, but he's happy to take a back-up role and bring his career full circle back to his first english club. He doesn't want to move his kids to London and he has lived in Liverpool(well, just outside) since he first came to England.

With the squad we had for the second half of the season, and Kenny in charge for the full year, we'd have made the CL this year. No doubt. We had a horrific year injuries wise, but Hodgson fucked us. We were 3rd bottom going into November. 12th when Kenny took over. Over the second half of the season we collected the second most points of anyone. With the right signings, I have no doubts we can challenge next season. We'll have Gerrard fit, Carroll fit, Kelly fit and Agger fit. Those are 4 of our best players. We didn't have the depth to cope with the injuries last year. We will have next season. And we'll sign a couple of big players to add to the first team.

Pete, after we were first linked i made a point to download and watch every Newcastle game from Xmas onwards and not once did he really impress me and make me think he could be good enough to play for Liverpool. He's very poor positionally, awful in the air, he's got no ability to read the flight of the ball and he's extremely weak. He is quick rather than fast. Covers ten yards well but over 30 he lacks real pace. And he does time his tackles well when he's in a position to make them but defensively I'd rate him as no better than Glen Johnson. And every top winger I saw against him tore him apart. His performance at Anfield was the single worst performance I've seen by any player this year. He was horrendous. Actually, I'm wrong. His performance against West Brom on the last day of the season was worse. Going forward he looks comfortable on the ball but he produces nothing. 1 assist all season?? When he played with Carroll for half the year?? No thanks. Comolli and Dalglish have both expressed extreme doubts over his defensive abilities according to the talk around Liverpool. And apparently Carroll has told Dalglish not to sign him. I think he'll go to the french league or a mid-table spanish club to be honest. Left back is probably the weakest position in the league and aside from the top 2 guys - Cole and Evra, I can think of at least 5 i'd want over Enrique. Leftback is also the one weak spot in the spanish national team and he's never even had a look in. Zero caps. He was never even first choice at U-21 level. Capdevila has never been great but he's never had to worry about losing his place to Enrique. And Nacho Monreal isn't great either but he'll eventually take the role and I don't see Enrique challenging him either. The three most worrying things about Enrique though are that he's got no heart, no loyalty and he's lazy.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri May 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Anyone have thoughts about De Gea replacing VDS?? 20 million is really alot to pay for a 20yr old goalkeeper.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:

Anyone have thoughts about De Gea replacing VDS?? 20 million is really alot to pay for a 20yr old goalkeeper.

I think he will be a good buy I hear some people doubt the lad is good enough which I find comical I mean he is certainly better than what they got and potentially better than Neuer IMO and surely is only going to get better
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat May 28, 2011 12:48 am

Hugely over-rated and has proven nothing. conceded nearly 70 goals this season. He has potential but he has a long way to go before he's good enough for one of the top teams in world. Neuer, Adler, Muslera, Lloris, or the guy from Ajax would all be better, cheaper, signings. All are a lot better than DeGea right now. And all are proven quality at the highest level. DeGea could be a great keeper in 4 or 5 years. Are United prepared to wait that long for him to develop and become reliable?? For me it makes no sense. If he was 10mil, which is about what he's worth, then sign him and loan him out for a couple of years and bring in an experienced proven reliable keeper to fill the gap. Tim Howard would be ideal and you can bet he'd love to go back to United and show the world how much he's improved since he left.
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat May 28, 2011 3:33 am

I've always liked Tim Howard, he's a good shot stopper and is improving his command of his area. However he still occasionally spills the ball in dangerous areas. I think it was this failing that cost him his place at United (to Roy Carroll?????), especially the shot he spilled at Benni McCarthy's feet against Porto that put us out the Champions League.

From what I've seen of De Gea he looks like a good shot stopper as well. However, I'm not sure how good he is off his line dealing with high balls, which will be important in the Premiership. Also he doesn't speak English, which is worrying for a keeper. At 20 though if he plays 10 plus seasons in goals for United for 20 million he'll be a bargain.

For all his achievements Ferguson's record with goalkeepers is slightly patchy. Schmeichel (for £500,000) and Van der Saar are now United legends though.
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Sat May 28, 2011 11:09 am

I'd be interested to see how much Whiskey Nose would pay for Reina.................IF Reina was prepared to take a backwards step in his career and join United that is!!!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat May 28, 2011 2:01 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:I've always liked Tim Howard, he's a good shot stopper and is improving his command of his area. However he still occasionally spills the ball in dangerous areas. I think it was this failing that cost him his place at United (to Roy Carroll?????), especially the shot he spilled at Benni McCarthy's feet against Porto that put us out the Champions League.

From what I've seen of De Gea he looks like a good shot stopper as well. However, I'm not sure how good he is off his line dealing with high balls, which will be important in the Premiership. Also he doesn't speak English, which is worrying for a keeper. At 20 though if he plays 10 plus seasons in goals for United for 20 million he'll be a bargain.

For all his achievements Ferguson's record with goalkeepers is slightly patchy. Schmeichel (for £500,000) and Van der Saar are now United legends though.

Fergie's record with keepers is not pathchy, it's shambolic. 11 keepers or something like that he's bought. 2 have worked out.

DeGea was 3rd out of all keepers in Spain this past season on goals conceded as a result of individual errors. He conceded a lot of very soft goals. And he's not impressive on crosses. His handling of them is ok, but he rarely comes off his line for them. The amount of goals Atletico conceded from crosses he should have come and claimed was quite staggering.

Atletico will probably be happy to see him go. He's have been second choice next season with Asenjo coming back off loan.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat May 28, 2011 2:01 pm

FOWLERSHIGHFIVE wrote:I'd be interested to see how much Whiskey Nose would pay for Reina.................IF Reina was prepared to take a backwards step in his career and join United that is!!!!

If DeGea is worth 20mil, we'd have got 40m for Pepe. Twice the keeper, more proven and better in every aspect.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat May 28, 2011 6:36 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:I've always liked Tim Howard, he's a good shot stopper and is improving his command of his area. However he still occasionally spills the ball in dangerous areas. I think it was this failing that cost him his place at United (to Roy Carroll?????), especially the shot he spilled at Benni McCarthy's feet against Porto that put us out the Champions League.

Fergie's record with keepers is not pathchy, it's shambolic. 11 keepers or something like that he's bought. 2 have worked out.

DeGea was 3rd out of all keepers in Spain this past season on goals conceded as a result of individual errors. He conceded a lot of very soft goals. And he's not impressive on crosses. His handling of them is ok, but he rarely comes off his line for them. The amount of goals Atletico conceded from crosses he should have come and claimed was quite staggering.

Atletico will probably be happy to see him go. He's have been second choice next season with Asenjo coming back off loan.

barthez and taibi both spring to mind.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat May 28, 2011 10:43 pm

3-1 flattered United. Could have been 4 or 5. Barca embarrassed them. Incredibly one sided. Barca - best team i've ever seen.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat May 28, 2011 11:03 pm

united got off to a good start and done ok until messi scored then they just fell apart.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sat May 28, 2011 11:07 pm

United have nothing to be ashamed of, Barca simply did to them what they have done to every other team they have played this season, and this is why they're regarded as one of the best teams of all time. Tonight shouldn't overshadow the fact that it has been a good season for United, winning the record breaking 19th league title is a great achievement, and the team can be proud of their performances this season.

On a side note, bye bye Berbatov.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Sat May 28, 2011 11:37 pm

was there a reason as to why berbatov was left off the team. i heard the commentators say he wasnt even sitting next to his team mates.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun May 29, 2011 12:08 am

Barcelona 2010/11, the greatest team of all time.

Everyone talks about Messi and how you have to neutralize him, but that's not even 10% of the problem Barca pose to teams, even teams as good as United and Madrid.

You neutralize Messi (no easy feat), you then have Pedro, Villa, Alves and Busquets to tame too, not to mention of course the best two players in the world in Xavi and Iniesta. AND in Pique they have the best centreback in the world who also has better vision and ball control than most centre midfielders!

Truly an honour to watch them play tonight, they are unstoppable and will be for as long as they have Messi, Xavi and Iniesta.

What's seriously scary though is that they're actually better without the ball than they are with it!! Guardiola is a genius, hope Chelski get him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun May 29, 2011 12:47 am

IMO they have 3 of the 5 best players in the world(Messi, Iniesta and Xavi), and 5 of the 10 best(Villa and Dani Alves). And Mascherano, Pique, Busquets and Pedro are all top class as well! Incredible team. They might buy Cesc and Rossi this season, those two will be on the bench! And they're looking for a CB and LB. They'll just get better and better IMO.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:00 am