THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+8
megalfc1892
manschesthair_utd
Shanemc
Moose Stuff For Money...
ChelseaQuinsfan
pinsman
redmeanie77
rudeboyben84
12 posters

Anderson willing to fight GSP at 170lbs!!!

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Anderson willing to fight GSP at 170lbs!!! Empty Anderson willing to fight GSP at 170lbs!!!

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:25 pm

Lads I had a feeling that someone has already mentioned but I thoughg Id post it incase no one heard.

Anderson Silva said he want to challenge himself against the best and with Dana White saying that he doesnt really want GSP at 185lbs he said he is willing to make the cut to 170 for the Superfight!!

I dont see why they dont do a 177.5lbs catchweight fight, But I really admire the balls to go after GSP at his own weight class. And I see a weight drained Anderson getting Owned...

He did look About Forrests size at 205lbs, certainly wouldnt be an easy task if they dont fight at a catchweight, could Anderson make 170lbs? I think he has made it in the past, or certainly below 185lbs anyway. (wasnt he 177lbs or so for Okami?)
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Anderson willing to fight GSP at 170lbs!!! Empty Re: Anderson willing to fight GSP at 170lbs!!!

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:36 pm

I read this earlier today, i think he is just trying to goad GSP into stepping up and fighting him. I dont think Anderson can make 170 lbs, i can see him going 205 or HW if he wants.

Its obvious GSP has no intentions of moving and fighting Anderson, he's kept dodging question about Anderson fight for 2 years now.

I just think he wont risk loosing, and all he cares about is getting W's even if it means boring half the viewers to death....
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Anderson willing to fight GSP at 170lbs!!! Empty Re: Anderson willing to fight GSP at 170lbs!!!

Post  pinsman Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:49 pm

It's a very tough weight drop and it's hard to see him making it, but to say Anderson would get "owned" is laughable!!!

Anderson would beat GSP simple as that... there both at the top of fairly average weight classes but Anderson sticks out more as a fighter to me than GSP does. It's just a shame theres not more competition out there for these guys. If Serra can land on GSP and put him on his arse, Silvas only gota tickle GSP and it's good night!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:09 pm

The best GSP can hope to achieve against Anderson even in his wildest dreams is too dry hump Anderson for 25 mins, which he will not be able to do. His wrestling might win him a round against Anderson, sort of like Hendo, but thats as far as it goes.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:24 pm

I see this fight, if it ever were to happen, to go like GSP vs Alves.

Silva is too fat to make 170 anyway so it won't happen but if it were, Silva's takedown defence is horrible, off his back he isn't that good. He was getting the shit kicked out of him by a fat Travis Lutter before he fucked up. Lutter was easily winning that fight before Silva caught him with an illegal upkick.

If GSP won't even stand with some one as average as Dan Hardy for more than a round, he won't stand with Silva and I really see him having no problem taking Silva down.

Its pretty comical how people keep going to "If serra did this" bullshit. Are you kidding me? BJ, Alves, Hardy, everyone else has more dangerous hands than Serra and they all failed where Serra succeded. A heavy handed Serra beat a GSP in very bad place, no one has been able to do that since. Its like saying if Luiz Azeredo can beat Anderson Silva, GSP will have a field day.

MW is an average Weight class, WW is not an average weight class at all, its one of the most stacked divisions, GSP has just cleaned it out.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:28 pm

"Its like saying if Luiz Azeredo can beat Anderson Silva, GSP will have a field day" Laughing

Thats Fucking Hillarious!! Laughing But 100% agree, people cant drop the Serra loss.

Pins, I said a weight drained Anderson would get owned, Watch that Lutter fight, why couldnt GSP take Anderson down? He would take Anderson down with his 1st shot, you could bet on that, the questuion would be would a weight drainer Anderson win a fight off his back Against GSP? I dont see that happening.

The fight at 185lbs is a different fight, Ive always said I though GSP would win but a weight drained Anderson surely wouldnt beat GSP off his back at Ww?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:37 pm

"But 100% agree, people cant drop the Serra loss. "

Why should they drop the loss? It stil happened whether people like it or not.

Does Anderson look like Alves ?, Anderson is bigger taller, more fluid, better movement, much better striker.

GSP will not dry hump Anderson for 25 mins, I see Anderson knocking him out in 1st or second round.

But GSP is too scared to move up...
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:52 pm

Then no one should drop Silva's losses to Luiz Azeredo, Takase, Chonan and Okami.

Silva is fatter than Alves but he isn't bigger, Alves has a lot more muscle. Silva is taller but thats because Alves is a midget, probably because of weight lifting at an early age. He has better movement but Alves has more power.

If GSP got out of the first round he would win. GSP always performs his best in the second round, thats when he has felt out his opponent and still fresh. If GSP won two rounds, Silva would have no answer.

Anyway Silva should forget about GSP for now, GSP has cleaned out his division, Silva has not. He still has Sonnen and Belfort to beat after Maia. Maybe he should focus on Shogun if he beats Machida.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:07 pm

"If GSP got out of the first round he would win. GSP always performs his best in the second round, thats when he has felt out his opponent and still fresh. If GSP won two rounds, Silva would have no answer."

Given the style difference and talent difference between the two, GSP would not have anything won until the 5th round ends. Anderson can knock him out or submit him, GSP cant even dream of finishing Anderson. Like i said GSP's wrestling might win him a round or so ala Hendo, but the Spider will get him before the 25 mins are up.

I'm going with Anderson KO rd 2 (knees).
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:53 pm

GSP isn't stupid like Hendo. He will actually go into the fight in shape, I don't know what the fuck Hendo was doing before that fight. Wanking maybe because he wasn't training right, he completely fucked up the weight cut and gassed miserbly. Exactly the same as Travis Lutter. Before that both were winning very easily, GSP has better takedowns than both fighters and better control than Lutter. Anderson Silva isn't very good at defending submissions, he has never faced anyone who is trying to get submissions in the UFC, Leities doesn't count because he didn't go for a single takedown attempt and isn't that good anyway. He hasn't submitted anyone of note either, not someone who hasn't gassed miserbly anyway.

GSP's wrestling will get inside Silva's head as well, first time silva goes for a kick, GSP will take him down. He looks for a knee GSP will take him down. Silva will hesitate to throw another one.

Ofcoarse even if GSP wins, and despite throwing punches and attempting submissions like the Dan Hardy fight people will just say its dry humping. However when a young big kid like Davis DOES EXACTLY the same thing he is considered a future champion.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:23 pm

You cant compare Phil to GSP, Davis is still very inexperienced, and is only a blue belt albeit a world champ blue belt. He didnt go for any submissions until the very end, where time ran out for the armbar.

GSP is meant to be one of the best fighters in the world, and is a black belt, and he had no clue about how to do the kimura or atleast didnt know what was wrong with it anyway.....

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11105&zoneid=13

Anyway you will see Phil finnish his fight this saturday cheers
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:24 pm

I'd be inclined to think this is just wishful thinking, or pointless boasting, on Silva's part. If he were to cut to 170lbs you would have to think the cut would affect his ability to perform.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:05 pm

I like Davis but look at his opponent Gustaffan. He KOed a tough opponent brutally and quickly, and very impressivly as well. No one has hyped him up, everyone is on Davis's balls. The guy has 8 finishes, 7 in the first round and no one is giving him a chance. I like Davis and I think he can be/ will be a champion but why does GSP get no credit?

That link didn't work but I beleive it was the armbar he had problems with. Not sure why because he has exceuted before perfectly, ask Matt Hughes.

The point is GSP was looking to finish the fight the whole way through, too many people don't know what LnP means anymore. When Evans beat Silva, people called him boring, when Velasquez beat Kongo people called him boring and said he couldn't finish anyone, now its GSP's turn. What Matt Lindland does, thats LnP, trying to finish the fight, looking to improve your position, throwing punches, looking for submissions is not LnP. GSP was looking for a kneebar and time ran out.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:29 pm

there is no way Silva can make 170 even if he did he would be so drained that GSP would have a field day he needs all his strength when fighting GSP if he wants to defend the TD
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:43 pm

I seriously think Silva can meet him hald way 177.5lbs, GSP could bulk up more to 200 to make his cut, or he could just feel more fresh having to cut 7.5lbs less. Anderson could surely cut another 7.5lbs insted of another 15lbs, and if its a catchweight.... no Titles on the line. Just a fight between the number 2 and 3 (or 1 and 2 as they will promote it!) p4p fighters in the world, I dont see why they dont make it happen.

UFC have these fighters under contract and are worried about them loosing face with a loss?

Machida vs Lesanr (Machida said he would like that fight, im sure Brock wouldnt refuse!)
    Machida vs Anderson
    Anderson vs GSP
    Penn vs Aldo (Or Faber if he wins)

There super fights! Id love to see them happen, I dont see the harm in one fighter winning, people havnt turned their backs on Wandereli after a string of losses in the past and fight fans wont turn their backs on any of the above if they loose, sure UFC have a slightly less credible champ but surely they have a superstar from the winner in return? I dont see why they arent more keen to put on these superfights insted of sticking with the same old layout of UFC shows.

A few Catchweight superfights and a GP once a year wouldnt kill them would it?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 pm

Why would you want to watch Machida vs Lesnar? I know your still angry about the Shogun decision but do you want Machida to die?

The fight I really want to watch is Shogun vs Silva, that would be a great fight. The other one would be Kimbo vs BJ Penn. What an embarrasing mismatch that would be Laughing

Last edited by ChelseaQuinsfan on Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:57 pm

Haha! Fair enough! Laughing I dunno though, Machida is hard to catch, lesnar literally would have to bullrush him because of the difference in footwork and when you charge in wreckessly your liable to get lamped!! Im sure Lesnars chin would get tested in that fight.

Yeah Kimbo vs BJ Penn is a superb Idea, you know Penn would genuinley take the fight too!! Laughing Kimbo might offer to meet him at Kimboweight and all being the gentleman he is!

Yeah Shogun vs Anderson is talked about a lot, I wonder if UFC will allow Anderson to fight him if Shogun wins? Rampage/Evans winner is next in like then Nog if he beats Forrest, I dont know if Anderson would want to step on Nog and Machida's toes and get a title fight... Im sure they would let Anderson fight Shogun if he comes off a close loss and its a sellable fight.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:05 am

"That link didn't work but I beleive it was the armbar he had problems with"

No mate it was the kimura that he was making a balls of....... Laughing

Prior to his UFC 111 title defense against Dan Hardy, welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre spent two weeks in Manhattan working at the Renzo Gracie Academy to help sharpen his skills in preparation for the fight.

St-Pierre has worked with Renzo Gracie black belt John Danaher for several fights now, and always credits the work he does with them for his incredible ground acumen. Much of that skill showed on Saturday night when St-Pierre wrenched Hardy's arm in two different submissions that nearly finished the fight.

But when it was all over, St-Pierre wasn't screaming about how great he did, or how close he came to finishing. He simply said he was disappointed in himself for not finishing. When the fight ended, the first thing the Canadian did before allowing any interviews or post fight celebration was to talk to Gracie and his team about what he did wrong in not finishing the submission.

"Jiu-jitsu is a very, very important part of this style of fighting. If it wasn't, I don't think I'd have Georges St-Pierre for 15 days at my school now training, and after he finished his fight (with Hardy), the first thing he did was to grab us, to go in the back, and says 'show me what I did wrong, why I didn't finish him," Gracie said during a fan question and answer session on Tuesday.

A legend in the sport and in the world of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie explained the technical side of what St-Pierre did wrong, allowing Hardy to survive the submission attempts.

"It was a very simple question. When he was doing the Kimura lock, instead of being at 12 o'clock, he should have been at 9 o'clock," said Gracie. "Like his lower body shouldn't have been here, that would give him the leverage to actually get the guy's arm to break."

Knowing the way that St-Pierre soaks in knowledge, Gracie is confident that if he's ever in that position again, his opponent will tap or the arm will snap.

"Things like that, I know next time he won't make the mistake," Gracie said about St-Pierre.

Regardless of the submission, Gracie was very proud of St-Pierre for his performance, and he showed the dominance of a champion once again.

"That was an unbelievable fight, he didn't stop for a second," Gracie said.

Renzo Gracie himself is now closing out his own fight camp as he prepares for his showdown with former welterweight champion Matt Hughes at UFC 112 on Saturday in Abu Dhabi.

Anderson willing to fight GSP at 170lbs!!! 11105-RenzoHardyStPierreUFC111
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:08 am

Yes i remember the disscusion on people thinking Machida could beat Brock at HW Laughing

It was just before the Shogun fight, and the Machida hype up till then was the greatest element to ever exist in association with MMA. lol!

Does anyone have a link to that thread?

edit: I found it......

https://thearmbar.forumotion.com/mma-forum-f1/machida-really-wants-a-fight-with-lesnar-t171.htm?highlight=machida+brock

Its always good to look at past comments, i dont know why i said i hated Brock scratch I was probably still upset about what he did to Mir at 100 Wink
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:18 am

No would be quite funny to read, i remember 9/10 of us said Lesnar and I think Chesty said if It was fought in a ring he would fancy Machidas chances... could be wrong.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:23 am

the october Machida/Shogun fight doesnt change anything about a potential Machida/Brock fight.

its not like Brock is MMA's greatest leg kick exponent. Razz

and its not like i was the only one!

Anfield:

"I'm inclined to agree on the ring/cage thing. In a ring Machida would pick Lesnar apart with ease and could avoid the takedowns with ease."

Ben:

"Yeah a ring certainly would even the odds, I miss the ring, It really did favor the strikers."
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:32 am

I really dont see how the ring would stop Brock taking Machida down. Its not like Brock needs the help of the cage to take people down. And with the ring being smaller there is less area for Machida to run away (im sorry i mean be elusvie Razz )......

What weight do people expect Machida to be for this fight? Nothing more than 225 at most. Probably even lower. My money on Brock every day, whether its in UFC, Japan, Pride, the moon, you name it.....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:19 am

But you can argue a Ring doesnt favor strikers over a Cage? I deffo think it evens the odds, I said id expect Lesnar to eat a few shots, who knows, untill I see someone in an exchange im never sold on peoples chin (shame there is so little toe to toe exchanges with some MMA fights! Been watching K-1 on eurosport!)

Shogun has a completlet different style its not like Lesnar is going to be as light on the toes or batter him with Kicks like Shogun.

Someone said Andeson and Machida are so light on the toes that its a genuine way to counter a wrestlers takedowns, you have to have exceptional foot work and speed but you can imagine lesnar having a hard time catching him without charging though can you? Eh still put Lesnar as a big favorite but Crocop wasnt much bigger than Machida when he was beating down Aleks and Barnett.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:47 am

"you have to have exceptional foot work and speed but you can imagine lesnar having a hard time catching him "

But you have to remember how quick and explosive Lesnar is on his feet, there is a good video showing athleticism somewhere i'll try to find it. But he can keep up with sprinters for the first 6-7 seconds.

Its not like Machida is known for being aggresive or having one punch ko power, i think Brock has a solid chin. I see the fight playing out like this, Machida moving around staying away from Brock, brock stays on outside and take his time, midway through first round brock launches in gets the takedown, and bashes Machida from half guard.

I just can see Machida knocking Brock out, or even stopping his takedowns, of Brock wants a takedown he gets a takedown against anyone. Even Carwin i say...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:57 am

Suppose the Bullrush only risks him getting planted once... And Agree no one is stuffing a TD from him. Still a little risky, Machida has good reactions and could plant him with a Knee, he has good Knees for a Karate guy. Still Id like to see it happen, Beating the 205 champ is still a big win for Lesnar and loosing against a guy who has 70lbs on you is fair enough if Machida lost.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 2:59 pm