THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+3
ChelseaQuinsfan
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
7 posters

Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem.

Poll

Who's your pick?

[ 4 ]
    Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. I_vote_lcap50%Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. I_vote_rcap [50%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. I_vote_lcap50%Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. I_vote_rcap [50%] 

Total Votes: 8
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. Empty Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem.

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:36 pm

I am an emotional fighter and I like to fight people that I don’t like and I don’t Alistair because of his cocky attitude and the fact that he thinks he is the shit. I don’t know if he remembers but I met him about a year and a half ago and it is not something that I have forgotten. I bumped into him on the elevator and I was talking to my manager and he asked me if I knew who that was and I said no. After that Alistair looked over his shoulder at me and was like what bitch, you don’t know who the fuck I am? So my manager told me it was Alistair Overeem and I was like ok. So that whole little situation rubbed me the wrong way and you know what happens (Andrei Arlovski) when you rub me the wrong way. He was talking all kinds of shit about me and so I got in the cage and whooped his ass. Think what you will, I don’t like Alistair and when we get in that cage, everyone is going to see the end result.

I would have hate to have been the 3rd guy in that elevator....
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. Empty Overeem on Rogers

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:16 pm

"Sometimes it is OK to hype up a fight and to bring more attention, but I guess that somebody calling me a coward like Brett did is just funny," Overeem told the site, when asked if he thought pre-fight trash-talk in MMA could have an effect on their bout, scheduled for May. "He makes himself stupid or maybe does not know fighters like Bonjasky, Aerts and Badr Hari. If Brett is such a good striker and fearless, why he is not fighting in K-1?"

"I love challenging myself fighting in K-1 and MMA," Overeem said. "And yes, after Rogers I want to fight Fedor. I already got a third place at the K-1 GP finals, something I do not see Rogers or Fedor even try!"
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. Empty Re: Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem.

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:19 pm

I fully Expect Overeem to Blow Rogers away. I think he is going to steadily Climb the Hw ladded. If he can pass the piss tests and fight in the US reguarly I think he will be a huge deal. I can see him KO'ing Rogers in the 1st.

Arlovski has this great boxing but he never really impressed me. He looked good against Rothwell but thats nothing, Cain dismantled him too. Nelson was on top of him and who knows how that fight would have gone, Fedor and Rogers Sparked him... Overeem on the other hand has shown his striking is effective by Demolishing Aerts and Badr Hari.

Overeem is a much better Striker than Rogers and I believe he hits harder and moves quicker. So is Rogers going to win on the ground? I doubt it, Overeems Grapplin is also better.

You can never totally Write off a guy Rogers size with that sort of KO power but I see him as a massive underdog,
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. Empty Re: Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem.

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. Overeemhorse
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Ye I agree, I do think Overoid will benefit from the K1 experience, that gives him an edge on the feet and his grappling is quite a bit better. Intresting to see what size Overoid comes in, with out the horse meat he should be smaller than Rogers.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Brett's best bet will be to either:

a) swarm him early like the Arlovski fight and hope to find the chin.

b) press him against the cage and put him on his back.

Overeem's GNP defence is a HUGE weakness.
    this is also a disheartening position....another weakness is his heart.

that said...overeem is half prize winning bull so it wont be easy to get him down.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:46 pm

Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. 1o2cdw
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:01 pm

Would appear to be in a minority (certainly from the posts), but I think that Rogers has a huge chance here. Okay Overoid is quicker, and probably the better striker, but I see Brett taking him down early and utilising good GnP. Then again, I've been wrong in the past.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:20 pm

I dont see it, Overeem of old might have been easier to takedown as tall lanky guys are, the guy is Stronger than Rogers and has better Takedowns that Rogers and is much much more experienced plus can probabally controll the distance, as he has longer reach, can use kicks and is lighter on the Toes. I see a Rogers win as a Huge upset.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Overeem was down to 242lbs for this fight! Rogers is going to havea good 30lbs on his,
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:00 pm

dont see it, Overeem of old might have been easier to takedown as tall lanky guys are, the guy is Stronger than Rogers and has better Takedowns

Is this all an assumption? We haven't actually seen him defend a takedown against an even average wrestler yet so you never know. I haven't seen much of Rogers wrestling ability so I can't comment there.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:19 pm

Cant remember who Overeem has showed good defence but the last time I remember seeing him do the Trip talkedown I go on about was... well in K-1 to be honest! Laughing But he used them on Crocop in MMA I remember that was recent. That Build gives him a high centre of gravity and high clintch takedowns are perfect for him (im sure a wrestling guy on here could explain the propper term) But 6"5 carrying his weight on the top and a high clintch and leg trips works a treat. Rogers did show bad balance on the feet against Fedor. I cant think of other examples but you know being shorter with a lower center of gravity show that Overeems trips will work.

On the feet, I dont think there is a question more than a puncher chance of Rogers winning is there?
    Toquinho
    Toquinho
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Toquinho Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:04 am

Overeems knees are brutal, he's really finding the spot with them at the moment.

Im looking forward to seeing Overeem back in mma, obviosly he hasnt been tested in it for a while, but he does have some serious skills
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:27 am

Ye I don't actually see Rogers giving him trouble. But one thing is that Chesty recently showed me a pic with Overoid in the States, compared to last year. He looks ridiculously smaller and will be smaller than Rogers come fight time. Rogers will be the bigger fighter so if he attempts like a takedown (like he should but probably won't) Ill be watching very closely to see how he does.

I know what you mean about his balance in the Fedor fight but Fedor has some Judo and Sambo throws, with a suprising amount of power behind them as well so I'm not sure.

I think Rogers has built his repution on beating an AA who was in a very poor state of mind. Im not sold on him yet, I think most of the UFC HWs would beat him so I am intrested to see how he does.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:16 pm

Wow Overeem is 242 pounds, he was 260 lbs for the Fugita fight on New years day. Considering he was in great shape for the Fugita fight, thats a good few pounds of Muscle he's lost.

And considering the Rogers fight is still over a month away, we could see him the 230's range for that fight, roughly the same size as he was against Buentello.

I guess if your naturally thin, its damn near impossible to keep all that increased weight on naturally.

Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. Alistair

Brett Rogers Really Doesn’t Like Alistair Overeem. Alistair%20Overeem1
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:29 pm

Come to think of it, i think my pick for this fight is largely dependent on the weigh-in results. If i see Rogers at 265 and Overeem at 235, then im going for Rogers.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:52 pm

redmeanie77 I read that on an MMA website, below someone said that it was a mistake... I though it sounded a bit off to me because he didnt look that small. I think he was still 260ish... Rogers is going to get a flying knee and put to sleep! cheers
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:14 pm

yes apparently they didnt bother with weigh ins, and just used old figures.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Didnt bother with weighins!! thats a bit crazy! You have to be over 220lbs to fight in Shw fights in K-1 dont you? Or is there no limit on the GP fights? Im sure Overeem is still 260lbs.

I dont see What Rogers is going to do... he will bull forward and try to hit Overeems chin and Overwhelm him like he did Arlovski but I just dont see that happening, I dont see anyone in MMA overwhelming Overeem on the feet
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:26 pm

redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:03 pm

Overeem is fucked.....

Mike Riley, the manager of Strikeforce heavyweight number one contender, Brett Rogers, explains the commission in Missouri will use Olympic style drugs testing for his opponent on May 15th, Alistair Overeem.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:22 pm

I just hope this fight actually happens,cause if Overeem pisses hot,I'm afraid that could be the final nail in Strikeforces coffin.

Great to see so many fighters and camps now days showing there support towards cleaning this sport up though.

If it goes ahead I'm still backing Overeem to win this one,though if he loses I'm blaming on a batch of tainted horsemeat because it would obviously have nothing to do with him having to fight clean Very Happy
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 pm

I think this is also one of those fights, where Strikeforce need a paticular fighter to win. I think they really need Overeem to win this one so they can ge the mega, Fedor Overeem fight this year. Fedor-Rogers 2 is no where near as appealing.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:36 pm

If Rogers wins ship him off to Japan to fight Barnett, Problem sloved. If he beats Barnett when he diserves a rematch. If he looses Barnett vs Fedor is set up.

Anyway Overeem should batter him. And Overeem WILL NOT get Olympic style drug testing. I guarentee that.

1. its not part of MMA's rules or not part of the standard testing any comission imposes.

2. Rogers camp cant just ask him to do these extra tests without Overeems people agreeing.

3. The Comission wont ask him to do these tests based on internet rumours for a fighter who has tested clean every time

My question is this, what shit are Rogers camp talking? Laughing
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri May 14, 2010 11:53 pm

Overeem 253 pounds

Rogers 264 pounds

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:41 pm