THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

A well overdue Wanderlei Article by me!!

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

A well overdue Wanderlei Article by me!! Empty A well overdue Wanderlei Article by me!!

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:49 pm

After seeing Wanderlei's most recent interview I though Id post about him and how I feel his future in the UFC will go, wilksdaman avatar inspired me to do it... Most Badass staredown ever!

For those who dont know all Wanderlei's career Id recomend looking it up, he isnt a UFC legend as such but is one of the most Iconic fighers in MMA, He started in MMA very young and was envolved in some of the most brutal Bare Knuckle fights im the early days, Ive seen an old fight were he mauls someone caught in a Net below the bottom rope and saw him headbutt someone till he messed up his own face loosing on "Cuts" Laughing He is the greatest Lhw ever (yes Chuck Liddell included!) He had a 5 year unbeaten streak in Pride and during that time he was not only the top Lhw in the world but was top p4p figher for a while. His career wins include 2 KO wins over Rampage, one of those was in a tournament final that included Liddell, Overeem and some of the best fighers in the world. He also holds 3 stoppage wins over MMA hall of famer Sakuraba.

His standup was unrivaled going toe to toe with Heavyweight Mirko Crocop (And IMO winning the 1st one) it was a special rules match that really encouraged standup, Again Mirko may be a name that doesnt impress newer fans but 3 months after that fight he beat Bonjasky in K-1 kickboxing, back then he was the best striker in the sport.

Now Wanderlei's career has taken a turn for the worse, Since suffering that bad KO a Crocop headkick he went on to loose my KO to Henderson (Who he beat a few years before) as well as Rampage who he had beat a few years before. His other losses were to Chuck Liddell and Rich Franklin in very competitive fights...

At 33 Wanderlei's caeer may not be over. Some say his Chin has gone and that is the end of him, Id disagree Wanderlei was never known to have an invincible chin, he was dropped a good few times in his career as well as KO'd before (Tito even Dropped him to be fare) But he generally rebounded like Nog and recovered quite quickly. These KO's he didnt but Mirko Crocop Headkick is reported to be the only thing harder than a Chuck Norris Chop... Hendo is a guy we have all seen has heavy Hands a KO from him isnt something that makes you "Chinny" its forgivable, As with Rampage's Shot look at the Momentum that was thrown into that shot he got a full swing of his hips and really sat down on that punch... Rampage is no feather fisted guy... So im giving his Chin a by ball... Maby other dont but watch the Liddell fight, they say your punch power is the last thing to go and its not like Chuck Didnt hit him... he hit him a lot in that fight!! Surving Frankings shots is probabally less impressive but that fight was another War. I believe that there are few guys at 185lbs who are going to hit him with a hit as Hard as A Crocop LHK or a Picture perfect Rampage Hayemaker or a Hendo... well Hendo is there at 185lbs but Hendo is pushing 40 now and his cardio is shot, I dont think he is the fighter that beat Silva a few years ago.

So thats my thoughts on his Chin, Im sure some will disagree. His problem for me is his Guard, his is far too open to shots and gets tagged way too much. Hitting the pads and sparing his Muay Thai is beautifull but in the cage it sometimes goes out the window but I think he may be able to do that with 185ers and get away with it a little more. If he can give Rich Franklin at 50/50 ish fight and he wasnt in a great way im sure he can hang with and beat most 185ers as Rich was a top contender in the Devision.

During the Video Wands said that his Breathig was bad through his nose and he couldnt sleep because of it... This is clearly going to effect a figher, Wands cardio had come into question a few times against Rich it looked really bad, It was a high paced fight but a guy in Wands shape should be able to fight for 15mins. But will he be a different figther if this is sorted? I think so, He isnt going to cut so easily thats always a good thing, Its not going to turn his career around but it cant hurt! Better breating being able to sleep will surely help him though! His guy looks pretty intense, his training is the hardest he has put himself through iin his career, Weight vests, Snorkles and that sort of crazy stuff and some great training partners will make him evolve as a fighter. There are always great fighers in and out of his Gym now and I think that will help.

He said he is leaner walking around now and with time off he will have time to ajust his body to the new weight and the cut wont drain him, In the Franklin fight he reportedly managed the cut badly. 185 is surely his natural weight class as well? He is an inch or 2 shorter than Marquardt and Hendo with the same reach so his frame is ideal for 185lbs. In japan the fighers werent hardcore weight cutters like they are in the states and maby this is why Wand always fought at 205 but at times he was even 199lbs 202lbs... that was his walking about weight!

Who are his Rivals? Now consider than Anderson will have hung his gloves up in 2 fights after Wanderlei returns he will be out of the picture soon! Wanderlei is only turned 33 so its not like he is old... anyway we have

1.Nate Marquardt : Big threat but ive seen lesser strikers rock Nate, Wanderlei is going to be one of the most powerfull strikers at Middleweight, Nate is so well rounded though and would be a big favorite to win unless Wand comes back looking a new man but Nate is top god in the devision one Silva goes.

2.Dan Henderson : 1-1 with Hendo, It would be a great rubbermatch but one thing to remember is Hendos cardio is starting to go now he is pushing 40!

3.Vitor Belfort : He has been rumoured for the 205 weight class though but if he stays at 185 he is perhaps the biggest threat being 1-0 against Wanderlei and blowing him away last time

4.Okami : I dont see Okami bringing anything to the table to beat Wanderlei, Sorry Okami fans!

5.Cote : Anyone shorter or similar height to Wand is in a world of danger they are open to headkicks as well as him being more comefortable to put them in the Thai Clintch and unload with Knees... Cote is obviously going to be a tough test with a Chin like his but Leben beat him after all and with a Blackbelt in BJJ and training with Maia which he is back to doing he could suprise us with a sub!!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are below this line you are getting KO for sure!! Laughing

Belcher, Akiyama, Bisping, Kang, Sonnen, Drwal, McFedries, Dollaway, etc..

There may be some up and commers but they are going to have to establish themselves before they reach top level guys, Tom Lawlor Who KO'd C.B and guys like him... who knows but theres not as much depth at Mw as you would think. I think Belfort would be a nightmare match for him but any of the others a revitalised Wadnerlei has a great shot at beating!

What are peoples thoughts on him? Will he make an impact at Middleweight?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

A well overdue Wanderlei Article by me!! Empty Re: A well overdue Wanderlei Article by me!!

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:29 am

good article ben.

The blog video was definatley encouraging. Did he have the same surgery that crocop had on his nose, i know mirko had something similar to improve his breathing. I think if he manages the drop in weight well he will be a force at 185. I want Vitor to stay at 185 its the perfect class for him judging by his affliction fights, and a Vitor/Wand rematch is a truly mouth-watering prospect if ever there was one.

I know this probably wont happen but i would love it if Wand won his first fight against a good guy like Okami or someone of his level, then got a fight with Anderson and knock him out cold!!! Twisted Evil
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

A well overdue Wanderlei Article by me!! Empty Re: A well overdue Wanderlei Article by me!!

Post  Ginginho Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:42 am

Well written Ben.

Wanderlei was one of the names I had heard of before I knew anything about MMA and once I watched him I few times, I knew why. The dude is mean as!!! Twisted Evil I recently watched a Pride doco on him which highlighted a number of his fights and it was awesome. The thing I like most about him is if he feels he is being beaten, he will go out and try to finish the fight without thinking of his own safety eg. trading with Chuck as that fight went on.

He must rank as the 2nd best of all time!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Ye I think he will be good at 185, he looks a lot better. I still feel like he should take an easy (ier) fight, I was thinking Bisping but obviously that's not happening. I think Wandy could KO Okami (who for some reason I don't like) but it won't be easy. I don't think Wandy could beat Nate atm, and im not sure if he could beat Hendo either but maybe. I just hope Wandy decides to round his game more, use his good BJJ more. I hope the best for Wandy, he really is a legend. Not sure if he is the GOAT at LHW, him or Liddell at the momment. I think in a few years though, it will be Shogun or Machida, whoever wins is on the road to greatness.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:04 pm

Id agree him vs Liddell is close cut, Liddell has the bigger names by a bit but Wandy has been p4p no1 (which I dont think Chuck has been, could be wrong) and Wandy has a better record and a far far longer unbeaten streak, Usually in MMA a go for the guy with the better wins but I think Wandy is slightly better than Chuck... and he still has time on his side! Good call on Shogun or Machida, whoever comes out on top there surely has a great future.

I really would like to see Wandys BJJ blackbelt in action, Ive often quiestioned how Legit it is... maby he scared some poor BJJ guy into giving in to him! But he hasnt really shown much to show me he is blackbelt level. Fighting at 185lbs I think he will tear through the devision, Like you say Nate may be too much but Nate is just about the biggest guy in the devision (when Silva is gone) and should also be top Mw when Silva retires... It looks wide open id say... heres hoping anyway he certainly diserves some good luck!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:32 pm

apparently he got it off Carlos Gracie jr, so i reckon its legit.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:55 pm

Strange that he is such a high level and we have never seen him really put it to use.. he has hardly any Sub wins in his career and for a BJJ blackbelt he has showed me a lot less on the ground that any other BJJ blackbelt ive seen, It would be cool to see him get a good sub win but I think a Mw against Shorted guys were going to see a lot more guys brutalised in the Thai Clintch!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:36 pm