THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

4 posters

More hypocrisy from Sherdog

TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

More hypocrisy from Sherdog Empty More hypocrisy from Sherdog

Post  TomHughes1983 Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:22 pm

“Did you think George Sotiropoulos was wearing an illegal uniform at UFC 110? I didn't really pay attention to it at the time, but now that I have seen pictures, it looks like to me that he is basically wearing grappling pants. What is the official rule on how much skin on the legs has to show? He wears long spandex, a knee brace and then long ankle supports, and makes pants out of them?”

That’s the gist of an email from reader Joseph H, and it brings up a valid point. The Unified Rules state only that “each contestant shall wear mixed martial arts shorts, biking shorts, or kick-boxing shorts.” It does not specifically preclude spandex leggings, which could potentially help secure a sweat-soaked appendage later in a fight. This is nothing if not a sensible fashion choice.

Does it matter? Is it “unfair”? Only if Stevenson was unable to do the same thing. And having that much wrap around the legs and ankles certainly opens Sotiropoulos to offense from his opponent: lack of sweat could have helped Stevenson grab a leg submission, though those typically aren’t as easy to secure.

But if the attire opens up dialogue about a little rules reform -- that’s a good thing. This sport is still very much a work in progress.

Wait a minute? Doesn't Shinya Aoki and Kitaoka wear basically the same kind of costume yet when they do it, they're criticised with people suggesting that they wouldn't be as good without it. On the other hand, it's apparently ok if you're from the UFC and you do pretty much the same thing. Yes, the UFC is the biggest MMA organisation in the world but they're not the be all and end all when it comes to MMA.

As a side note, Jeff Monson has historically worn footwraps in order to give him more traction when attempting take downs.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

More hypocrisy from Sherdog Empty Re: More hypocrisy from Sherdog

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:33 pm

I dont get the big deal over Slight differences in attire, Its not like the guy came in with a Gi, a Mask or one boxing glove!! Laughing

It probabally makes submission holds harder to slip out of, If its something that gives a BJJ guy more of an advantage im all for it. UFC's rules for me favor Wrestling as a style over anything else. I think with Kneepads and footwraps it makes Subs harder to escape but what he wore is not hugely different than other UFC fighters... Mir has worn similar hasnt he?
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:45 pm

To be honest Ben, I have no problem with people wearing gis or humorous tights in the ring or cage. Gis aren't desperately useful as they can be used against the wearer just as easily as against his opponent and they are a pain when attempting to throw strikes. The quality of competition has grown so much since Royce walked into the cage wearing his martial arts pyjamas, he wouldn't have the same advantage that he used too which is quite vividly shown in his first fight against Sakuraba.

I'm pretty sure Mir usually just wears ankle wraps which are useful for extra grip when pulling someone into guard but are horrible if your opponent is a leg lock master as it's something that is easier to hold than a sweaty leg!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Im in 2 minds about Gi's. Ive Grappled with an without a Gi... being a bit on the unfit side I rather no Gi as a Gi soaks up sweat and weights a tonne when it does!! Gi's would make for more good Judo throws which is always a plus but it canm lead to stalling on the ground, Grabbing your own Gi etc.. can make a stalemate on the ground.

I think for the sake of the odd cool Judo throw Id rather see Gi's left out of MMA because the Groundgame is slow enough in UFC because Knees etc.. are banned. It doesnt need further slowed down.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:04 pm

What myself and a friend have found through experience is that if you're at the same level when it comes to grappling being the fighter not wearing a gi is an advantage. With simple arm and grip strength it's easy to keep an opponent at bay. You have to be a very good grappler to use your gi effectively in submissions but I think you're right as it would be easy to stall on the ground. That said, a number of wrestlers stall very well in top control without a gi. I think referees should do their best to watch out for fighters trying to lay and pray their way through fights. Unless a fighter is actively working for positions to try submissions, they should be stood back up.

By the way, one of my favourite submissions ever was Hidehiko Yoshida performing a hip toss and flowing into an Ezekiel choke against Tamura in the 2003 Middle Weight Grand Prix. It is a thing of beauty and most importantly, if it had been a "real" fight Tamura would have been very dead.

I'm curious to hear what KJ would think about gis when it came to fighters coming from a catch background. I'm of the opinion that they would love to see an opponent wearing a gi as it would be something extra for them to grab on to when working for a submission hold.

Personally, I'm all for anything that moves the UFC rules away from a wrestling bias.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:12 pm

For me, i'd fight with the Gi on, purely because i'm not planning on striking much with anyone and the Gi is a big part of a Judoka's groundgame. But the Gi is a disaster if you're facing someone who's not wearing one and has great striking unless you've a high level grappler and know you can take your opponent down.

Aoki's pants are apparently not permitted under the Unified rules as Japan doesn't use them. Something like that anyway. I did notice George having the long cycling shorts type things. But the ref checked him before he got in the ring so if he was allowed in with them they must be legal.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:42 pm

The thing that cheeses me off Anfield is that he was wearing knee protectors and ankle wraps as well which basically gave him a full length leg covering and I don't see the difference to be honest. It just looks like there is a way around the rule which doesn't make for a very good rule.

I suppose the one thing that George had on his side was that it was fought in Australia, so they didn't have an athletic commission to jump up and down if anything was even a little suspect. I wonder if George will try the same thing the next time he fights in the US considering the fact that last time he fought in the US he wore ankle wraps and surfer shorts.
    KJGould
    KJGould
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KJGould Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:22 pm

Actually Australia has a New South Wales Combat comission (or words to that effect) which sanctioned UFC 110.

Aoki wouldn't be able to wear his current leggings in the UFC, but could wear the same as George and get away with it.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing someone pound the fuck out of a guy with that much on, and then make light of the fact it didn't make a blind bit of difference.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:21 am