THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
Anfields5thKing
Ginginho
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
elmatadorafa
11 posters

Brock Lesnar the new no.1 HW, according to Sherdog and other rankings !!

elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Brock Lesnar the new no.1 HW, according to Sherdog and other rankings !! Empty Brock Lesnar the new no.1 HW, according to Sherdog and other rankings !!

Post  elmatadorafa Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:16 pm

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/2/Sherdog-Official-Mixed-Martial-Arts-Rankings-25392

http://www.fightmatrix.com/mma-ranks/heavyweight-265-lbs/

I would have put Werdum provisionally top for a week, and then putting the winner of 116 at no.1 next week.

Other rankings that i follow havent been updated yet, including MMA weekly. But you would have to assume they follow suit.

As i said a few days ago somewhere, there was some scrutiny surrounding Fedor no.1 ranking, as he was seen to be fighting low ranked opponents and avoiding tough competition in UFC. I think Werdum was ranked at no.10.

And i think this comment from one of the rankings says it all, about how the websites are going to adjust their new rankings.

1: Fedor ‘The Last Emperor’ Emelianenko:

It appears that Fedor’s time at the top may be drawing to a close. With the likes of Carwin, Velasquez and Lesnar nipping at his heels, ‘The Last Emperor’ cannot afford a slip up in his upcoming clash with Fabricio Werdum. As dominating as Fedor has been throughout the last decade, he’ll have to step up his game – and more importantly the level of his competition – if he is to remain at the top of the heavyweight ranks.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Brock Lesnar the new no.1 HW, according to Sherdog and other rankings !! Empty Re: Brock Lesnar the new no.1 HW, according to Sherdog and other rankings !!

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:18 pm

Yeah there all going to have the Brock/Carwin winner at no.1 next week for sure.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Brock Lesnar the new no.1 HW, according to Sherdog and other rankings !! Empty Re: Brock Lesnar the new no.1 HW, according to Sherdog and other rankings !!

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:03 pm

I almost dont want to comment but how are Brocks 4 wins better than Fedors 32? Eh fair enough if they want to Move him, And Brock LOOKS more passible as the top heavy than Werdum. But simply put he isnt. No matter what twisted logic they use to rank people Brock cant be top. same losses but 28 less wins and far less big name wins...

I dont get it. Fuck it Sherdog is wildly bios to UFC and the 2nd site has Mercer at 13! Laughing

Let the MMA journalests do what they want, I think few of them will have the balls to look at facts and figures and realise Brock isnt top, I think they will follow the big sites like Sherdog and believe Dana Whites shit that Brock isnt the best.

Funny thing is Ive always though Brock would have at least a 50/50 chance agaisnt Fedor and seeing Fedor is getting in worse Shape id probabally put him as Favorite as crazy as it sounds from me, but untill he PROVES he is top guy, all these sites are just kissing UFC's arse.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Yeah after seeing the Fedor-Rogers fight, i would have Brock favourite against Fedor, i think the size difference and wrestling would be too much. And judging by Brocks last fight, he sure learned how to use his wrestling to neutralize any submission attempts, yet still do damage at the same time.

His camp really tought him well, and had him well prepared, i cant wait to see what he's learned in the past 12 months.

Call me crazy, but i expecting a submission (attempt) thats going to leave us all cowering behind our sofa's while Brock goes crazy after the fight Laughing

Im getting flashbacks of UFC 100 now...
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:15 pm

I wouldnt be shocked to see a Sub attempt, he did have a go at a flying knee in his 1st fight in UFC after all!

I agree it was the Rogers fight that made me realise how easy Lesnar or the likes could wall and stall Fedor.

The Arguement isnt that Could a Small Heavyweight beat Lesnar because really Fedor isnt even a small Heavyweight, he is an undersized 205er with a lot of excess fat. Seriously he is smaller than 9/10 Lhw's

I say he fights King Mo for the Lhw title because if Overeem vs Werdum happens its as good a fight as his other option in SF which is Bigfoot Silva.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:05 pm

I'm not sure if you know sometimes whether to stick to some of the ways you rank them though Ben,because you keep flip flopping on whether you are sticking to making your rankings based on current form and current wins and losses,like Werdum or Edgar going straight in at no1 after a good win or on there overall careers like you are now doing to compare Brocks 4 overall wins against Fedors overall 32.

It's this idea of jumping so many places after 1 good win is what I think is wrong with your rankings.

It's hard to do admittedly and I don't want to get to down on your rankings to much because mostly I agree with the positions of most of them,it's just I feel you need to set a way of ranking your fighters and stick to it,be it a current one based on form,(which Edgar,Werdum would be at the top after beating the best in the division but this would have to change around all the time)),an overall career one (where Fedor and BJ would still be No1's and would stay there for years)or one where a fighter has to work his way up and earn his way to the top with a run of good wins and form against good fighters and only move up or down a position or two based on the strength of the win or loss.

The other rankings have Brock at number 1 now simply because Brock was no2 and Fedor just lost to a guy ranked a good few places behind him,they don't automaticly jump someone 10 places after a win,they will probably only move Werdum up 2 or 3 places after that great win and drop Fedor 1 place for losing to someone ranked alot lower than himself,which now makes Brock no 1,by default granted,but thats how most ranking work.

Also you can't yourself give Brock a no 2 ranking with 4 career wins and then turn around after Fedor loses and moan about it.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 pm

No your making a fair point mate, Brock should go to number 1 then if he wins because it is on current form and Shane Carwin is top 5 ranked. His last 3 fights will have been top 5 ranked.

Im putting the winner of Brock vs Carwin to number 1 after the fight.

To Rank Brock number 1 now doesnt make sence, id have dropped other fighters for inactivity if they were in his situation.

My rankings cant have a set formula, the reson being if someone wins it depends not only on the guy he beats but how he looks in beating them... And its therefore sort of opinion.

I suppose im just being stubborn about moving Fedor down past number 1 but Lesnar vs Carwin winner being top is fair enough to me. Carwin was going in at number 1 anyway as I said but I just realised Couture was top 5, as was Mir, as is Carwin....

Appreciate the feedback mate, I need someone to keep me on my toes or my rankings would look like this...

1. Hw: Minowa
    2. Lhw: Sakuraba
    3. Mw: Wanderlei
    4. Ww: Diaz

etc... Laughing
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:22 am

You can't put Brock top on current form, he hasnt fought in a year! Suspect

No way is Brock Lesnar the #1 HW in MMA.
    what could they possibly be basing this on??
    I'll tell you what, 3 wins.
    1. Herring by UD, exact same result as DREAM 205er Jake O'Brien got a year before Rolling Eyes
    2. Couture by TKO, losing a wrestling match against a guy 60 lbs lighter than you until he got him behind the ear is not impressive.
    3. Mir - good win.

lets not forget he was submitted in a minute What a Face

take a step back, forget about the hype, think about Brock's career and realise how retarded it is to have him at #1.

Even after saturday Werdum still goes #1 his last win eclipses Carwin and Brock's entire carreers, and lets not forget he has bigger wins in his carrer than either of them BEFORE Fedor.

I have a feeling saturdays main event will be very sloppy and a little bit boring and you'll regret saying the winner = #1
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:53 am

I agree with chesty - Lesnar hasn't done enough to be No1 - he is only ranked highly because he is the UFC champ and he is only the UFC champ because he was gifted title shots for marketing reasons. Even beating Carwin won't make him No 1 in my eyes.

Fedor to me is still the top dog, notwithstanding his loss. If Carwin wins, then maybe he could go above him given he would be 13-0 but Lesnar just hasn't fought enough to justify a top ranking.

If Carwin, Cain or even JDS had been given the same opportunities as Lesnar, it is arguably likely they would have stopped the same guys as Lesnar did.....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:57 am

There's no way Lesnar goes ahead of Werdum if he beats Carwin. Werdum's record is more impressive and he's beaten a better list of fighters, including Fedor who's a better win than all of Lesnar's combined.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:20 am

Werdum has big names on his win list but none of them were top 10 ranked fighters at the time he beat them,the Fedor win was actually the 1st time that Werdum has beat a fighter who was in the top 10 at the time.

Brocks last 2 wins were both against fighters that were ranked in the top 5 at the time and carwin is also top 5 if he beats him.

I agree though that it seems strange to have a fighter with a 4-1 record at No 1 and it's only down to a default because he was the no 2 and the fact that Fedor has to drop a place after losing to a guy that was just in the top 10 at the time.
    But Brocks record is far differant from any one elses 1st 5 fights in MMA,he was thrown in at the deep end against some of the best fighters and he swam instead of sinking.
    His current run is against,a top 15 or so at the time Herring,a top 5 and champ at the time in Randy,and a top 5 and Interim champ at the time and former champ,Mir and the fact that he is the current champ has to have him as the top of the pile in the UFC on current form,so far brock has lived up to the hype and there is no way in the world Werdum has bigger wins than that before the Fedor fight.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:48 am

Herring wasn't top 15 when Lesnar beat him I don't think.

Randy hadn't fought in over a year when they fought.

And he's 1-1 with Mir.

Lesnar can't go to number 1. He can solidify number 3 behind Fedor and Werdum but he can't go above them.

Alexs was top 10 when Werdum beat him and 2 wins over Gonzaga, tapping Overoid, beating Vera and Big Foot and then beating Fedor is more impressive than what Lesnar has done. Actually, beating Fedor alone is more impressive than any other heavyweight has done.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Rogan talks about Fedor loss

elmatadorafa
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  elmatadorafa Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:51 pm

I dont get it. Fuck it Sherdog is wildly bios to UFC and the 2nd site has Mercer at 13!

Ben, MMAweekly have their rankings updated now, and have Brock at no.1

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=11911&zoneid=2

I guess Game Set Match to Dana and UFC, they now have no.1 fighter (according to most (all) ranking on MMA websites) in each of their division.

Question who is now the P4P fighter, Anderson or GSP?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:09 pm

I dont buy into what MMA websites say they have a higgen ajenda (spelling!) seriously Brock CANT be number 1 its kissing Danas arse to put him at number 1.

I know Ive backed GSP to beat Anderson head to head and maby he wouldnt but for me its a stupid agruement who is top p4p, most sites hang on Dana's every word so have Anderson top.

When in reality GSP has faced much higher competition and came away witha better record as well as being just about the most complete fighter in MMA

20-2-0
    26-4-0

GSP wins record wise

But RANKINGS ARE ABOUT RECENT FORM... right?

So recent competition

Anderson: Maia, Forrest, Leites, Cote, Irvin, Hendo, Franklin, Marquardt, Lutter. Leben, Fryklund
    GSP: Hardy, Alves, Penn, Fitch, Serra, Hughes, Kos,

Thats since their last losses. GSP's previous career has more good win as well. GSP is constantly fighting Ranked fighters, Anderson isnt.... I dont know how an arguement can be made Anderson is better.

Its the same Arguement as Fedor not being top p4p, if you dont face the best competition guys facing better competition take over you. Its double standards to have Anderson over Fedor for this reason (when Fedor was unbeaten) but GSP not over Anderson.

IMO

1.GSP
    2.Silva
    3.Fedor
    4.Aldo

SHERDOG NO LONGER RANK FEDOR AS A TOP 10 P4P FIGHTER!!!!

Proving my point MMA sites rankings are a load of balls!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:09 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    I dont get it. Fuck it Sherdog is wildly bios to UFC and the 2nd site has Mercer at 13! Laughing

Sherdog's new p4p top ten:

1. Anderson Silva
    2. Georges St. Pierre
    3. Jose Aldo
    4. Frankie Edgar
    5. BJ Penn
    6. Jon Fitch
    7. Mauricio Rua
    8. Jake Sheilds
    9. Lyoto Machida
    10.Rashad Evans

affraid

edit: beat me to it!

Sherdog's rankings are not to be taken seriously, every time i go on the website there are UFC advertisments all over the place.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:12 pm

Just to clarify that if you believe Sherdog Frankie Edgar is better than Fedor.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:23 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Just to clarify that if you believe Sherdog Frankie Edgar is better than Fedor.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

as is Rashad Evans.

....and Fedor is leagues behind the oh so one dimensional and boring Jon Fitch.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 pm

What is Fitch doing ahead of Shogun, better yet why is he ahead of Shields giving that Jake is fighting above his weight class and beat the no.2 guy Hendo there?

I think Anderson gets the nod over GSP for P4P, because Anderson has moved up and fought at a higher weight class, and GSP has lost more recently than he.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:30 pm

To be fair, Sherdog had Fedor at no.4 or 5 P4P before Werdum fight, so its not like they dropped him out from the top because of 1 fight or something. But its still silly not to have him even in top 10 at all.

Chesty did you ever tell us why you were banned from Sherdog? Laughing
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Guys, why even go there and look Rolling Eyes ??
    It's all subjective anyway, so I go by Armbar rankings!
    And it is fun to watch Payne try to pull Ben to bits..!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:40 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:To be fair, Sherdog had Fedor at no.4 or 5 P4P before Werdum fight, so its not like they dropped him out from the top because of 1 fight or something. But its still silly not to have him even in top 10 at all.

Chesty did you ever tell us why you were banned from Sherdog? Laughing

he was #3 before the Werdum fight.

i was banned from Sherdog because someone posted in the grappling forum a thread called something like "what is wrestling?" and it had a poem that was a bit like this:

"wrestling is hard work,
    wrestling is skipping meals...

(went on like that for about a dozen lines)

...wrestling is awesome!!

post yours!"

and i posted:

"wrestling is faggot porn."

and got the ban-hammer!

3 and a bit years, 3999 (exactly) posts down the drain lol!
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:53 pm

What was Machida ranked before basically losing twice to Shogun?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:27 pm

Machida beat him the first time, and i believe got to number 5, after Anderson, GSP, Fedor and BJ.

Sherdog is a joke. Filled with UFC fanboys and everything is hugely biased towards the UFC. I've been saying it since we were all on 606.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:40 pm