THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+6
Albion_Oakley
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
pinsman
redmeanie77
Moose Stuff For Money...
10 posters

Mir wants Lesnar dead

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Mir wants Lesnar dead - Page 2 Empty Re: Mir wants Lesnar dead

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:07 am

Yeah Kongo was never going to really be a test for Mir. All he had to do was take him down and it was over. Admittedly it was a surprise to see him KNOCKING him down and tapping him that quickly. Carwin is a huge test.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:48 pm

Speaking via MMAWeekly.com,

“Honestly it just kind of worked out that way. With Kongo I was being matter of fact about things. I said his ground skills aren't that great, guys, and because the cameras are on, instead of just being like they aren't that great, they're not very good, really is it that far fetched to say that they're probably the worst in the UFC?”

“I don't understand this whole mentality just because it's true doesn't mean you have to say it. I'm like, why not? I guess if I said it about someone's wife or their kids, that's kind of awful, but I'm saying it about another man who gets to lock himself in a cage with me and if he didn't like what I said, he gets to punch me in the face and try to fix it.”

“In the Shane Carwin fight, honestly it's not that I'm down playing anything or not trying to get into his head. I'm looking for different angles and honestly to my disadvantage, he doesn't have a lot of fight time on footage. He stays pretty reserved, and in a lot of ways he's a likeable guy. He's a tough competitor. He keeps himself kind of on the straight path. There's really nothing bad for me to say about him.”

“At this point, I don't want to be that fighter that just makes stuff up just to say something cause then it loses a lot of it's legitimacy. "It's like you just completely pulled that out of left field. I don't mind exaggerating something, adding a little color to it to make it enticing for television or radio, but if I constantly just go ‘well Shane Carwin, he has no punching power.' Well bro, that has no truth whatsoever or what are you talking about Frank?”
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 pm

The camp of UFC heavyweight champion, Brock Lesnar has today made a statement following Frank Mir’s recent comments about making him the first death due to octagon related injuries, warning the Las Vegas native to expect the unexpected and that Mir may leave without an arm next time around.

The statement released earlier today reads:

“Frank Mir wants murder? The beast is now even angrier than last time. It's okay, Frankie ‘The Stalker’ Mir could use another beatdown. Except this time, it will be more vicious. The Champion hopes Frank Mir makes it past Shane Carwin. Frank may never be able to fight again after the third fight is over. Expect the unexpected Mr. Submission Man, you may leave without an arm.”
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:36 pm

To be hounist I have lost respect for Mir since apologising, since you can tell he doesn't mean it. Why say sorry if you don't mean it, man the fuck up! Would also like to say Bisping takes alot of flack due to his trash talking, I kinda think Mir is worse although I do like him...

I believe he's looking past Carwin cause he knows he'll beat him, Mir has too much for him to handle Carwin will win with a lucky punch if he's going too.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:40 pm

no such thing as a lucky punch, he throws his fists to KO his opponent and if it lands he acheived the aim he specifically set out to do.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:52 pm

I think Carwin has a good chance of winning, He has massively heavy hands, a reach advantage, Mir probabally will have a world of trouble taking him down, Mir has a weak Chin.... Mir up untill last fight was scared to stand with Dangerous strikers.

I think Kongo is shit, Ive never really rated him. Mir looked great winning, but Konog isnt Carwin.

I gotta say I slightly Favor Mir in this fight though, quicked, Maby even Bigger than Carwin, More complete standup.. as Carwin cant/doesnt throw kicks... plys on the Ground I think he could well sub Carwin. I think its 60/40 Mir but not a missmatch of anysorts.

Carwin has flattened everyone in about 60 seconds flat. Mir has been demolished by far lesser fighters... im in 2 minds about this fight. One thing I do know is that Mir doesnt needs to be talkings shit about Lesnar, he needs to concentrate on Carwin for now. Carwin was the man next in line for a title shot so he is a huge threat.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 pm

Carwins hardest fight has been gonzaga and I would say he was slightly rocked when he threw that jab that KO'd him. Mir will use his legs I would think and keep him a distance. and when the oppertunity arrives take him down and finish him there. Mir seems to be really taking his fighting seriously now, what with the weight gain and power improvments. I see him beating Carwin comfortably!

Love the avatar Anfield!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:04 am

Unless Mir gets caught, then he takes this one by sub rd 1 or 2. Similar to GG fight but Mir will not let him off the hook.

But agree Carwin will be tougher test than Kongo.

Carwin isnt a very technical Striker, Mir has better boxing and can pick him apart if he is smart. But Carwin has more power obviously which would be a major concern to anyone in the division.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:15 am

Carwin doesn't need to stand with him. He can just take him down and do to Mir what Lesnar did to him. I'm backing Carwin by TKO.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:17 am

Carwin is not as big or as good wrestler as Lesnar though.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:18 am

Would you say Carwin could control Mir on the floor aswell as Lesnar did though, if I was carwin I would not want to be on the floor with Mir!
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:22 am

Also Lesnar had a big weight advantage over Mir. Mir will probably be bigger than Carwin for the fight.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:25 am

Carwin is just as good a wrestler as Lesnar is. Technique-wise he might be even better. He also hits harder than Lesnar. Mir's bottom game isn't great. Look at the ease in which Lesnar controlled him. His top game is great but he's never really worked on his bottom game.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 am

Lesnar has a more accomplished wrestling backround, and we have seen very little wrestling from Carwin in UFC. Probably due to fact he's been Ko'ing people so quick.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:43 am

Lesnar has a more accomplished wrestling background?? Not really. Not at all in fact. At HW level in college wrestling Div II is just as strong as Div I if not stronger because it's the college that is in the division, not the actual wrestler. And the top colleges tend to give their scholarships to the smaller guys meaning that there's not many scholarships left for the bigger guys. Carwin was a two time runner up and one time champion in his division. Brock was runner up once and won once. Both were two time all americans.

Carwin's wrestling pedigree is easily a match for Brock's.

He hasn't shown it in the UFC because he hasn't needed to! He does have 4 wins by submission though, and the rest were KO's or TKO's. His longest fight was 2 minutes and 11 seconds! He's had 3 fights in the UFC. Combined they haven't haven't lasted the length of a round! Barely over half a round in fact!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:51 am

Your Knowledge amazes me Anfield I stand corrected... Still think Mir will beat him though! Razz
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 am

" because it's the college that is in the division, not the actual wrestler"

I know the system over there has some flaws in it, but you have to say that Divison 1 is seen as more distinguished champion than division 2.

Brocks resume looks better than Carwin's.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:58 am

Theres only one way to find out.........."FIIIIIIIGHT!!!"
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:59 am

Damn Diverticulitis Mad
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:04 am

redmeanie77 wrote:" because it's the college that is in the division, not the actual wrestler"

I know the system over there has some flaws in it, but you have to say that Divison 1 is seen as more distinguished champion than division 2.

Brocks resume looks better than Carwin's.

At the lighter weight classes you'd be right. But not at HW. D2 is definitely seen as being just as strong as D1 at HW.

Lesnar's resume might look better but it's not. Carwin had the better college career.

Carwin is actually incredibly intelligent as well, he's got his BA in Mechanical Engineering AND another BA in Environmental Technology that he earned while working as a wrestling coach. To have the career he had a get a BA in Mechanical Technology is impressive. Lesnar is just a a meathead. Degree is probably in advanced frisbee or something.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:07 am

i still think Lesnar has a better wrestling base for mma.

he has said he won the NCAA not by having great technique but by being the fastest and most powerful guy.
    which i think is a better translation to mma.

wrestling match? who knows, according to you carwin probably, but there is no doubt Brock is stronger and faster.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:12 am

Agreed he is. But i don't think it requires incredible levels of wrestling to keep Mir on his back to be honest. As i said earlier, Mir's bottom game isn't great and Lesnar kept him down very easily. Lesnar has the explosive power to get people to the ground that Carwin may not have, or at least not of the same level but i'm fairly sure Carwin will be able to take him Mir down if he chooses to. And once it's on the ground, he has the technique and strength to keep it there. Mir might come in weighing more than Carwin but it's not his natural weight. Lesnar and Carwin fight at their natural weight. Mir is coming in about 25-35lbs heavier than is natural for his body. That's a mistake IMO.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:13 am

I knew he was an engineers but didnt know he had BA in enviormenta technology aswell. Lesnar may be a meat head, but you cant argue with how he made his life turn out after his college wrestling days can you?

Carwin is what 33 years old now? I think he can continue fighting till his 40. So plenty of time for him to leave his mark in UFC/MMA.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:20 am

Actually he is 35, so bit of a late bloomer isnt he?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:22 am

If Lesnar had been smart he'd have gone for the Olympics. Kurt Angle's Olympic gold medal has made him an estimated 20million from pro wrestling NOT including merchandise sales which add another 5 mil or so on top of that. Lesnar never made close to the type of money Angle was on in WWE and he's not getting close to him now. With a gold medal Lesnar would have been much better off.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:21 am