THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
rudeboyben84
Moose Stuff For Money...
Albion_Oakley
quicksuperlee
KJGould
ChelseaQuinsfan
pinsman
hendos_right_hook
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
14 posters

Should the UFC sign the reidenator?

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Should the UFC sign the reidenator? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the UFC sign the reidenator?

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:45 pm

No he isn't, he has lost to nearly every good fighter on his record and some unknowns. His biggest legit win is Schiavo twice and he sucks as well. He isn't top 50 LW or top 20 FW so he isn't very good. suck is harsh but he is nothing more than an average fighter.

Mark Weir does suck, he was the biggest British prospect at a time when there was no one else. He wasn't actually the biggest British prospect at any time because Freeman used to be the biggest British prospect. I don't think he has one good win on his record, 19-16 is an awful record.

Still Reid's never going to be a world beater

Understatement of the millenium
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Should the UFC sign the reidenator? - Page 2 Empty Re: Should the UFC sign the reidenator?

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:50 pm

I've thought about and yes, they should sign him. For one fight only. Against Bitchping! Just because if he somehow managed to beat Bisping then we would NEVER have to listen to Bisping claim to be a top fighter ever again.
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:19 pm

we as one on that one ....... scarey ....... scratch
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:49 pm

He's shit it seems, but he has guts! Imagine waking up next to that mutt without her make up! affraid
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 am

He lost to Dean Amasinger for the right to go onto TUF, and Amasinger didn't exactly set the world alight on the show.

Reid is the current UK-1 champion, and to be fair to him he hasn't always been a pro fighter. He was a para for a while, has been an actor most of his career, and has mainly fought part-time.

He's a nice guy (he was in 10 para same time as my brother-in-law), maybe with a decent training camp and a year or two on the prelims he could turn his obvious enthusiasm and athleticism into something worthwhile. It wouldn't hurt to give him a try, he'd be a good amabassador.
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    George_Louis_Costanza@who
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:51 am

If Neil Grove can get a deal sure why not.....
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Poor Neil Grove. Gets so much abuse.

Paolo, i've heard that he is a decent bloke but he doesn't do himself any favours with the company he keeps and the way he portrays himself. Not sure how much of an actor he has been though. He did a bit of Hollyoaks and was a stunt double for Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan but that really only takes up about a week because stunt doubles get paid by the hour so directors try and hammer through and get all their scenes done in a bunch. That's not exactly taking up a lot of time. And he's a personal trainer so he works in a gym meaning he should always be in excellent physical shape. I really think it's just a lack of basic skills.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:49 pm

Yeah maybe you're right mate. I know he was in Band of Brothers as well because quite a few people from 10 Para went on the filming of that, and I thought he'd done a bit more film but I'll stand corrected. He always wanted to be a film star though. Reports were that he was one of the toughest during P-Company so I know he's got heart, just obviously not the aptitude for techniques, as you said.

Back in those days of P company they still had the milling test, where you basically fought another guy from selection until someone gave up. He apparently put a choke on the guy in his fight and everyone thought he was a pansy because he didn't want to stand and trade!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:58 pm

I wonder if Strikeforce are aware of him? would be good for their show if they had a well known UK based fighter... just a thought? Depends on how much they want to compete with the UFC?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:02 pm

Paolo_73 wrote:Yeah maybe you're right mate. I know he was in Band of Brothers as well because quite a few people from 10 Para went on the filming of that, and I thought he'd done a bit more film but I'll stand corrected. He always wanted to be a film star though. Reports were that he was one of the toughest during P-Company so I know he's got heart, just obviously not the aptitude for techniques, as you said.

Back in those days of P company they still had the milling test, where you basically fought another guy from selection until someone gave up. He apparently put a choke on the guy in his fight and everyone thought he was a pansy because he didn't want to stand and trade!

I've heard about those milling tests! They used to do similar things in the Israeli army. They had to ban them though because there were too many people getting their arms broken!

You've got a military background yourself Paolo don't you?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:04 pm

pinsman wrote:I wonder if Strikeforce are aware of him? would be good for their show if they had a well known UK based fighter... just a thought? Depends on how much they want to compete with the UFC?

Now that's not a bad idea. Purely because the standard in Strikeforce is lower than in the UFC, after the top guys in each division. If they could get on Sky, maybe Reid would make a good marketing tool. They could find him a can or two. Same as they'll do with Walker. The UFC promotes itself on the basis that they claim to have the best fighters in the world. Reid clearly isn't that so he shouldn't be signed.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:20 pm

Yeah I did this and that for a while as a combat medic. I couldn't be detatched enough though and the black humour never really worked for me as a backup so I moved on.

They used to do milling for all SF guys, but you just ended up with 80% of your intake beaten to a pulp before the end of the course, so I guess they figured it wasn't worth it!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:24 pm

Would definantly up there ratings in this country, but if they did sign him and they showed a live event, would they surpass UFC viewing figures??

Now thats the million dollar question...

Dana White would be royally pissed off!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:43 pm

Paolo_73 wrote:Yeah I did this and that for a while as a combat medic. I couldn't be detatched enough though and the black humour never really worked for me as a backup so I moved on.

They used to do milling for all SF guys, but you just ended up with 80% of your intake beaten to a pulp before the end of the course, so I guess they figured it wasn't worth it!

A lad i know is considering joining the RAF. He wants to go in and train as an air traffic control person. Do you know what requirements he would have to meet? He's not the fittest person in the world.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Two lads I play rugby with have done the basic training for the RAF and have both moved on to do engineering, if they can pass, anyone can with abit of training!
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:58 pm

I don't know much about the RAF to be honest mate but I would imagine the basic fitness test is easy enough for a reasonably fit and determined guy. You certainly don't have to be a specimen to get in the door to at least start the basic training.

Main thing for the RAF though is just to be an arrogant prick and they'll love him (I have to say that Very Happy ).

If he wants to do ATC he should do civil ATC, they earn a stupid amount of money.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:24 pm

I think that's the long term plan but isn't it really hard to get into? I think he was hoping to go to the RAF for 5 years or whatever and then leave and travel around the world because apparently you'll walk into a job at practically any airport or whatever if you're RAF trained.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:25 pm

pinsman wrote:Two lads I play rugby with have done the basic training for the RAF and have both moved on to do engineering, if they can pass, anyone can with abit of training!

Unless they are props they are prob in better shape than him! haha!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 3:05 am