THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Bellator Sign Marlon Sandro

Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Bellator Sign Marlon Sandro Empty Bellator Sign Marlon Sandro

Post  Sly Uses Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:47 pm

Just saw this tweeted by Bellator

http://www.bellator.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=592058&SPID=73496&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=23600&ATCLID=205102063

CHICAGO, Ill. (February 23, 2011) - World number six-ranked[1] featherweight and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Marlon Sandro will make his U.S debut under the Bellator Fighting Championships banner, officials announced today. The Sengoku, Pancrase, and Shooto veteran will not participate in the upcoming Season 4 Featherweight Tournament which airs LIVE beginning in March, but will make his debut in 2011.

"Marlon Sandro is a phenomenal talent at 145," said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. "Our Featherweight division is absolutely stacked and Sandro pushes that talent pool to an even higher level, I'm thrilled to have him on board."

The former Sengoku Featherweight Champion and reigning Featherweight King of Pancrase brings an extremely impressive 17-2 professional record to Bellator, which includes seven TKO or KOs and three submission victories. Taking his first professional MMA fight in 2004, Sandro maintained a 5 year, 14 fight win-streak prior to his first career loss - a must-decide split decision to Michihiro Omigawa in the Sengoku Featherweight Grand Prix Semifinals.

Recently compiling a string of devastating knockouts, Sandro's last four victories have come via TKO or KO, - all in the first round - with a total fight time of just 3:39.

Residing and fighting out of Rio de Janeiro, Sandro currently trains along side UFC Featherweight Champion Jose Aldo with Team Nova Uniao.
    Big signing. Bellator have the best featherweight division outside the UFC now I reckon.

Poor SRC..
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Bellator Sign Marlon Sandro Empty Re: Bellator Sign Marlon Sandro

Post  Mryzyz Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:57 pm

A lot of fighters leaving SRC recently... they have postponed their next show indefinitely I believe. They must be in the shitted pot with FEG.

On the plus side... Hioki vs Aldo: #1 vs #2 superfight is looking likely.

http://www.MixedMartialArts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum.posts&thread=1779085&forum=1&page=1&pc=1
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:11 pm

Thats a great signing for Bellator.

I'd say his debut is most likely going to be against either Mann,Soto or Quach since them and warren(don't think Rebney would give him the champ in his 1st fight) are the only ones not in this seasons tournament.

Yeah Bellator are creating a pretty strong FW rosta.

Sandro 17-2
    Warren 6-1
    Soto 9-1
    Quach 18-10-1
    Mann 18-2-1

Reis 11-2 #
    Foster 8-2 #
    Freire 14-1 #
    George 23-3 #
    Straus 14-3 #
    Karakhanyan 14-2-1 #
    Malegarie 19-0 #
    Larkin 3-0 #

# All in this seasons Tournament

Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:21 pm

Problem is; Sandro will probably be stuck in bellator forever with Alvarez and Lombard. Their FW division is no where near as sparse as MW or LW, but that is not guaranteed to be the case for long. 2 years from now, when the UFC has hoovered up the top featherweight talent, Sandro will be fighting mid level guys and past it 'names' for less than he would earn elsewhere.

Unless bellator gets big, but that ain't going to happen.

'Champions clauses' are the absolutely worst thing in MMA at the moment. Worse even than shitty judging and retard pandering presentation.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Feb 23, 2011 8:29 pm

Sandro was never going to sign with the UFC while his mate and training partner,Aldo is the FW champ.
    If Aldo had moved up to LW,then i think he'd of definitely signed for the UFC,but Aldo has said a few times in interviews,that it will be a while before he thinks about moving up.

So with Sandro being 33,he can't afford to wait for that to happen,so he's probably looking at this as his last couple of years left in the sport,so I'd guess he intends to finish his career with Bellator.

plus since the big JMMA Orgs are in such a mess,Bellator is really the only place left for him,where he can fight and hope to win another belt against relevant compitition,plus I'd bet Bellator is really the only place outside the UFC's FW division,who are willing to pay him his value,so he can make some descent money before he calls it a day.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:51 am

Great signing for Bellator and a great challenge for Warren down the road there was only one option for him with Aldo & Nunes in the UFC at FW already and Strikeforce having no FW Division.

It seems SRC are in real trouble there has been talk Hioki could be UFC bound.
    Ronwah
    Ronwah
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  Ronwah Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:26 pm

Sandro is going to give us some more uppercut from hell knockouts hopefully. I'm still unsure on how steady Bellator are though. I think their new TV deal in the states puts them on MTV2 and I've read mixed things about how good or bad that is for them.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:50 pm

I love some Bellator,so i'm hoping that having the MTV2 deal will work out fine for them,Bullybeatdown has done just fine there,so I don't see why bellator won't as long as they show replays throughout the week like they do there other programming.

The main problem I see for them is there chioce to put it on saturday nights,unlike before when they were shown on a thursday nights were they had no one else to compete with.
    This means they are going to be competing some saturday nights with either a UFC,strikeforce,HBO or maybe a showtime boxing event.

thank god for TIVO

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:28 am