THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Melendez talks about the LW division

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Melendez talks about the LW division Empty Melendez talks about the LW division

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:31 pm

I think Melendez is a really cool guy and would love him to become the top guy in the Strikeforce/Dream LW's.

I can't believe that a guy who seems to be so down to earth and respectful to others could be best mates and full time training partners with the Diaz brothers.

He made a laugh about the riot that would of happened in his corner,if somebody did to him what Aoki did to Hirota Laughing
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Melendez talks about the LW division Empty Re: Melendez talks about the LW division

Post  hendos_right_hook Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:28 pm

I like him too, really exiting fight to watch. Also improving rapidly, his only two losses have been to people he then went on to beat in rematches. I'd like to see him be tested against someone like Sanchez eventually, that would be an entertaining fight.

I'd also love to see a rubber match with Thomson, both their fights were awesome.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Melendez talks about the LW division Empty Re: Melendez talks about the LW division

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Hellboy, Aoki and Alvarez or JZ are the only fights I want to see him in. Dont want to see a rubbermatch with Thomson untill Thompson gets a few wins...

Im sure the Aoki fight will happen soon, I think Coker said in the 1st quarter of 2010.

Melendez said in an interview he thinks he could do well against BJ Penn. Shame well never see that. I dont even think Alvarez is a possibility unless Bellator and SF allow them to meet in Dream.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:20 pm

Bellator have allowed Alvarez to fight in Dream in the past. And SF are in partnership with Dream. So hopefully that fight will happen.

Melendez and JZ is the fight i want to see. That will be a war!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:34 pm

Melendez is an intresting case. Im not sure how good he can be, he is a very talented fighter with a lot of skills. His striking is much, much improved, his wrestling is good and he is a good all round grappler. He is pretty experienced and some big wins over guys like Thompson, Guida, Crusher among others.

I don't know how well he can do against the DREAM guys, especially Aoki. Thats a fight I want to see. Melendez has better striking but Aoki is a much better all round grappler. Could Melendez keep the fight standing long enough for a KO?

The JZ of a few years ago against Melendez would also be an outstanding fight as would Alvarez.

Against the UFC LWs, I would give him a good chance against anyone not named BJ. I would love to see Melendez vs Sanchez/Kenflo.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:39 pm

Don't forget, Melendez is a Cesar Gracie purple belt so he's got decent BJJ. Cesar makes people earn their belts.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:55 pm

Yeah I think Melendez has the perfect coach and training partners to get him ready for a fight with Aoki.

I'm sure between Nick,Nate and Sheilds,Melendez has had great practice when it comes to avoiding takedowns and defending and sweeping from the ground.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:03 pm

Exactly. The Diaz boys are similar enough bodywise to Aoki. And Nick's BJJ is incredible. Cesar Gracie reckons Nick would walk the Mundials and ADCC if he focused on pure BJJ for 12 months.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:35 pm

Thats true, there is no denying that Melendez has some good BJJ, but Aoki has arguably the best BJJ in the LW division. Nate is a Brown belt in BJJ under the same coach and I think Aoki would submit him quickly. Is that inaccurate?

Melendez has much better striking than Aoki, and his wrestling could keep the fight long enough on the feet to catch Aoki on his glass jaw but Aoki's judo skills could be a problem. I would love to watch this fight. You make a good point about how the Diaz's and Shields would be good practice with there similar long limbs and good BJJ/Wrestling.

Speaking of Diaz, look at what I saw on Wiki...

2009-09-16 Win Melvin Guillard UFC Fight Night 19: Diaz vs. Guillard Submission (Gayness)
    Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 11:28 pm