THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

5 posters

Thomson v Melendez III

Poll

Should they fight again?

[ 5 ]
    Thomson v Melendez III I_vote_lcap56%Thomson v Melendez III I_vote_rcap [56%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Thomson v Melendez III I_vote_lcap33%Thomson v Melendez III I_vote_rcap [33%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Thomson v Melendez III I_vote_lcap11%Thomson v Melendez III I_vote_rcap [11%] 

Total Votes: 9
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Thomson v Melendez III Empty Thomson v Melendez III

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:24 pm

One of the questions that came out of Strikeforce: Evolution was whether or not there will there be a rubber match between Melendez and Thomson?

A third bout certainly fits into the conventional wisdom as each fighter won a fight and both fights were "Fight of the Year" candidates. Unfortunately, it appears that Gilbert Melendez and Josh Thomson want to move on.

Gilbert Melendez spoke to Cage Writer about a possible third fight.

"Now that we got our stuff done with, it's up to us to prove we're the best 55ers. Me and him[Thomson] are badass. I think me and him can take out all the dudes in UFC and all the dudes in DREAM. It's about the respect. We can beat a lot of those guys. We're complete MMA fighters. A lot of guys aren't.... There's gonna be a third one, huh? I'm not looking forward to it. I left my heart out there. I don't know if they showed it on TV but I puked a little bit afterward. I think we put on a great show. I‘m cool with calling it even."

Thomson also chimed in.

"We’ve delivered great fights. Now it’s time for us to keep pushing [Scott Coker] to bring in the bigger name fighters and for Gilbert and I to start laying them out," said Thomson, "I welcome them with closed fists."

"There's gonna be a third one, huh? I'm not looking forward to it. I left my heart out there. I don't know if they showed it on TV but I puked a little bit afterwards. I think we put on a great show. I‘m cool with calling it even," said Melendez.

"Just like Rocky, I don't want another one," Thomson chimed in with his best Rocky Balboa. "There ain't gonna be a third."

Scott Coker sung a different tune and even used Thomson's Rocky metaphor against him.

"Josh and Gilbert one was amazing and to see a fight that out did, that you know, basically out did the first one its pretty impressive because I didnt think it could happen. That's the kind of fight thats like the Marquez-Vasquez in boxing, you could watch every month, we could do this fight every month....There has to be a rubber match at some point, right?"

"Oh yeah, we'll do six more. there was Rocky one, two, three, four, five and six, right?"

"When the trilogy you know happens I think that all eyes will be on this fight because it was an amazing fight."

So it looks like Josh and Gilbert will get a brief reprieve --if you call fighting someone a "reprieve"-- before facing off in a rubber match, possibly on CBS...
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Thomson v Melendez III Empty Re: Thomson v Melendez III

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:52 pm

Id love to see a third, there second fight isn't as decisve as some people make it out to be. I had it Melendez 3 round to 2 and I think if Thompson didn't have such a long layoff he could have won. He gassed easily and his striking wasn't like the first meeting, he didn't throw as many kicks. Its likely that Melendez will fight Aoki first but thats not such a bad thing because that gives Thompson a chance against an easier opponent just so he gets the feeling of winning and fighting reguarly back into his system. I would back Thompson to win a third.

Now that we got our stuff done with, it's up to us to prove we're the best 55ers. Me and him[Thomson] are badass. I think me and him can take out all the dudes in UFC and all the dudes in DREAM. It's about the respect. We can beat a lot of those guys. We're complete MMA fighters. A lot of guys aren't.... There's gonna be a third one, huh? I'm not looking forward to it. I left my heart out there. I don't know if they showed it on TV but I puked a little bit afterward. I think we put on a great show. I‘m cool with calling it even."

I don't think he is far off with that statement honestly. Ok I think BJ would dominate both and I think Aoki would sub them but beyond that there 50-50 with most. Alvarez would probably KO them but its not a foreglone conclusion. I could see them giving Ben Stiller and Yes a tough match, especially Thompson. Hellboy as well. Id really love to see a LW tourtument between all the best LWs in the world, it would be an incredible tourtument.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:18 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    I don't think he is far off with that statement honestly. Ok I think BJ would dominate both and I think Aoki would sub them but beyond that there 50-50 with most. Alvarez would probably KO them but its not a foreglone conclusion. I could see them giving Ben Stiller and Yes a tough match, especially Thompson. Hellboy as well. Id really love to see a LW tourtument between all the best LWs in the world, it would be an incredible tourtument.

Completely agree with Chelsea, a LW Tournament would be amazing.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:00 am

I definitely want to see a 3rd fight but not for a while.

Hansen, Aoki, Alvarez, JZ Calvan, Noons, Kawajiri, Gomi, and Ribiero are all now possibilities to fight in Strikeforce and IMO Sakurai could make 155 if he trained hard. And Huerta is a free agent.

So let's see Strikeforce put some fights together and make their LW division the best in the world.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:03 am

He could but question is will he? He came in at like 200 pounds for a grappling contest recently. He likes his Korean barbeque too much in the words of Manchesthair.

I think SF are better suited to put him at WW anyway, that division is weaker so they need more quality fighters there.

Hansen, Aoki, Alvarez, JZ Calvan, Noons, Kawajiri, Gomi, Ribiero, Melendez, Thompson and Huerta

Id love to see:

Aoki vs Melendez (for the belt)
    Alvarez vs Noons (number one contender)
    Hansen vs Thompson(Eliminater)
    Gomi vs Crusher(Eliminater)
    Huerta vs JZ
    Evangelista vs Riberio

Some really good matches there, very stacked division. Are the DREAM and SF belts going to be unified or are the being kept seperate?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:11 am

Speaking of Roger Huerta. I think at some point him and Sexyama are going to have to fight at WW to finally see, who is the best looking man in MMA!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:04 am

ID love to see a rematch, They match up very well style wise but there are other great Lw fights out there. Beteewn Dream and Strikeforce they have a lot of tallent at 155.

Where is JZ? He hasnt fought in a bit, and itnt Alvarez tied down to Bellator? I dont know if he can fight in Strikeforce?

Aoki vs Melendez is the next great Lw fight we will see. Im really looking forward to that. Id love Hellboy to fight Thompson too ChelseaQuinsfan, I really want to see him in Strikeforce.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:07 pm

I'm sure Bellator could come to an agreement with Strikeforce after their season ends. They came to one with Dream. And they are supporters of the idea of WAMMA so it's likely that they would like to see their fighters compete against the best fighters from all over.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:53 pm

Thats True that Belator Mw champ (Cant think of his name!!!! I should know this!!) was calling out Hendo. Maby if they let him fight one of their good Mw's Belator will let Alvarez fight one of the Strikeforce Lw's! I love Belator to get in with Strikefrce as well, they have a handfull of good fighters.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:43 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Thats True that Belator Mw champ (Cant think of his name!!!! I should know this!!) was calling out Hendo. Maby if they let him fight one of their good Mw's Belator will let Alvarez fight one of the Strikeforce Lw's! I love Belator to get in with Strikefrce as well, they have a handfull of good fighters.

Hector Lombard is the guy that you're on about. His record reads 22-2-1, with losses against Moussasi and Gono (both decisions).
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:22 pm

Cheers pete! Lombard was him, I think he is on our just missed out list... or at least I hope so. Belator have a few good fighters in their ranks. Its a shame Ninja Rua is buggering off to shine fights!!!
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:12 pm

Speaking of Roger Huerta. I think at some point him and Sexyama are going to have to fight at WW to finally see, who is the best looking man in MMA!

Nonsense. Best looking man in MMA match would have to be contested by....

Keith Jardine
    Thomson v Melendez III Keith-jardine-mma-fighter

and....

Cyborg!!

Thomson v Melendez III Cris_cyborg_santos_med

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 3:11 am