THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+4
ChelseaQuinsfan
hendos_right_hook
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
8 posters

WEC 46 Spoilers

rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

WEC 46 Spoilers Empty WEC 46 Spoilers

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Im not home till half 8 tonight but read the WEC results on the way to work...

Ben Henderson makes a comeback after loosing to 1st 2 rounds to guillotine choke Jamie Varner to become the new Undisputed WEC 155lbs Champ... I wonder does this win put him in to the top 10? Has the Lw devision ever been so stacked in the history of MMA??!! Crazy, Varner and Cerrone are two seriously good fighters and he beat them back to back. Not forgetting Shane Roller who is one tough guy and Anthony Njokuani who only has one other loss to Cerrone!! I wonder if he will consider moving to the UFC?

Urijah Faber pulls off Sub of the night in the 3rd round and Rear Naked Chokes Raphael Assuncao, IT was apparently a close fought fight quite back and forwards, but Id say that could put Faber in the number 1 spot if Brown doesnt get a rematch with Also.

Speaking of MTB he picked up a 1st round Sub win Via RNC....

Cant wait to see the event, I wonder whats next for Jose Aldo? Will he fight Faber or MTB or will they fight each other agian for the number 1 contender spot?
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

WEC 46 Spoilers Empty Re: WEC 46 Spoilers

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:09 pm

I think Faber should get first shot at Aldo but i think Aldo deserves an easy-ish title defence before that.

It sounds like it was a great event. I wonder if Varner's long absence was a factor, if maybe he gassed after winning the first two rounds.
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  hendos_right_hook Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:51 pm

Champions should fight whoever is ready to challenge, Aldo Faber for me. No point in throwing in someone who doesn't deserve a title shot, just to give the champ an easy defence.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:44 pm

Its confirmed that Faber fights Aldo next! This one is going to be Epic, No disrespect to MTB but Id rather see Faber figth Aldo. I think it will do down as one of the best WEC fights ever! Looking forward to this one!

Anyone see Faber winning? Apparently he didnt look that impressive last nigth.. he will need to be preforming at his best to beat Aldo!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:50 pm

I think Aldo should have gotten a fight between Brown and Thomas. I think he'll beat Faber anyway.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:27 pm

Very good event with some impressive performances.

Sharlous looked good in defeating Jansen, completely outwrestling him. He could be close to a title shot now, but he needs to face a top competitor.

Mike Brown looked good against an average fighter but he did what he needed to do. He should fight Manny next for the number one contender spot.

Faber won against a pretty tough opponent, a top 10 FW. He needs improvement against Aldo but I don't give him a great chance.

LIL HENDO won in a match where he was up and till that point clearly losing. Excellent comeback, I wouldn't say Varner gassed but he did make a basic mistake leaving his neck open for a simple guillotine. It was like Kang against Belcher and Guillard against Diaz. Lil Hendo is the champion now, and I think he is a great fighter. He should be top 10 LW now, wins over Varner, Cerrone, Roller and Njokiuni. Thats an impressive list. Cowboy Cerrone could be looking for a rematch right about now, but he might have to face his arch nemisis Varner first, who might be looking for an easier fight.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 pm

anyone got links for these? my usual sources have nothing.

this card reminds me of why i dont like the WEC having only the lower weight divisions.
    11 fights, no KO of the night awarded because no fights ended by KO!!!

i am not some bloodthirsty savage btw, and i am sure the fights were entertaining, but no KOs on an entire card?
    can you remember another time this has happened?
    even YAMMA had 1 tko. cheers
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:45 pm

Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:53 pm

I thought Varner had won the first two rounds until the sub. Credit to Henderson as it seemed to come out of nowhere, however it was slack by Varner.

Assuncao looked like a decent fighter, the first round was really tight but Faber took control from the second. Aldo v Faber should be quality.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 pm

good event henderson pulled off a good win i had hims losing the first two rounds but came back with a nice sub is it me or does varner not have any heart subbed by a standing gullitine didnt even try slam him and after the fight made very stupid comment 'i came to fight,he came to grapple' coming from the guy who got subbed while going for the takedown lol faber did well against a tough assuncao but his class came through in the end winning by a nice sub after dropping assuancao twice during the fight also brown gets back to business wins another easy rnc victory, looks like aldo/faber will be made thats gonna be a great fight
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:58 pm

Shanemc wrote:is it me or does varner not have any heart subbed by a standing gullitine didnt even try slam him

I know what you mean, Varner was very quick to tap.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Can Ben Henderson be submitted? You twist his limbs and nothing happens, you squeeze his neck and he just sits there and waits. AMAZING.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:02 pm

while were on this would use rather see henderson/cerrone 2 or cerrone/varner 2 personally id like to see cerrone/varner cause i really wanna see cerrone smash him
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:45 pm

thanks for the link.

i think Aldo would absolutley handle faber to be honest.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:00 am

Saw the 3 big fights, MTB is a beast, really good win, the top 3 at 145 seem a level above the rest Im sure he will pick up another win and get the winner of Faber vs Aldo. Ive always wanted to see him at 155lbs in the UFC, I think he would beat Edgar, He would have a good chance at cracking the top 10 at Lw id say. The top 3 Fw's are all close to top 10 P4p.

You can see why Faber is so popular, reading the report I though he sounded like he was loosing the fight but the 1st was close and he won the 2nd I think. Really enjoyable to watch, fully commits to everything he took a runup to a punch in the 1st I that he was measuring with frontkicks because he though he could land the KO blow straight down the pipe, he went for Huge bodykicks that Knocked him off balance when the 2nd one was checked, flying knee etc.. he really does commit to everything he throws. His only problem is that he leaves himself open, Aldo isnt going ot have trouble landing on him. Fair play to Assuncao for surviving the Anaconda choke attempt etc.. he looks a good fighter but again the top 3 at 145lbs seem a class above the rest.

Ben Henderson is a greatr figher, he has had so many good wins but can we put him in the top 10 over Melendez? I think Melendez would win in a head to head though. Varner looked to be winning up untill the finish id back Cerrone to win a rematch though. BHendo has great Sub defence and is a real tough guy headkicks and huge slams he seems to shake off. Id love to see the top 3 155ers mix it up with UFC guys. With 155lbs Its shocking UFC fire fighters that under perform in UFC when Zuffa owns the WEC too! I dont see why Josh Neer and fighters like that couldnt have mixxed it up with Cerrone, Varner etc..
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:48 am

Melendez is not the one that should be dropped out. Melendez should be higher than number 10.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:04 am

Probabally right mate, I think Ben Hendo is about as good as Edgar but I dont want to start messing with the rankings and taking higher ranked fighters out for no other rason that we should have ranked them originally.... as usual untill Edgar takes a loss give him the benefit of the doubt. It would be easy to do a Lw top 15 or 20. I think Ill start ranking the top 20 next rankings around (maby to 15) go give fighters more credit than "Just missed out" BHendo at 11ish would probabally sound fair for now.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 am

I don't think Edgar should ever have been top 10 though. He got easily beaten by Maynard, won a disputed decision against Sherk who was nowhere near his best. He beat Franca but Franca gets beaten by everyone theses days and was coming back off a roid suspension. And Veach is maybe top 25 at best. I think Henderson's wins against Cerrone and Varner are more impressive than beating a shot Sean Sherk and a deroided Franca.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:34 am

On the topic of rankings, when GSP batters Hardy can we return Hardy to where he belongs at the 9th or 10th spot? He hasn't earned the spot he has now. I see the logic in giving it to him with him fighting for the title, but he hasn't earned his title shot either. He's only been given it because GSP has already beaten all the guys who really do deserve a shot in the UFC, And Shields and Diaz are both in Strikeforce. Beating Swick who's borderline top 10, Markham who's poor and then getting lucky against both Davis and Gono shouldn't get you a title shot.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:33 am

Edgar over Sherk wasn't a disputed decision but the problem was Sherk tried to stand and he has awful standup. Melendez should probably be higher than Edgar and Lil Hendo can squeeze in.

Right now I think its easy to do a top 50 LW ranking.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:45 am

Sorry mate, you're right. it was Sherk's fight with Griffin that was the disputed one.

Still, Edgar's not top ten.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:09 pm

I agree mate, he has a good fighter with some good wins on his record but Henderson's top wins outweigh his by far. His toughest opponent was Maynard by far and he dominated him.

Lil Hendo's last 4 fights

Win over Varner
    Win over Cerrone
    Win over Roller
    Win over Njokuani

Edgar's last 4 fights

Win over Veach- Good fighter but inexperienced and not even top 20
    Win over Sherk- Past his best and fought terribly
    Win over Franca- Everyone beats him nowadays. He was coming off a loss to Sherk and then after beating Aurelio got KOed by Griffin and an unknown.
    Loss to Maynard

Think Henderson just edges it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:42 pm