THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+17
pinsman
efils_god
FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
exiledinmanila
Paolo_73
George_Louis_Costanza@who
Anfields5thKing
rudeboyben84
Once Mohawked Pete
ChelseaQuinsfan
Shanemc
payneNglory1
Albion_Oakley
redmeanie77
Moose Stuff For Money...
hendos_right_hook
Ginginho
21 posters

MMA Predictions League 2010 - Rules and Registration

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MMA Predictions League 2010 - Rules and Registration Empty MMA Predictions League 2010 - Rules and Registration

Post  Ginginho Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:46 am

Welcome back to the Armbars MMA Predictions League for those who played last time and kia ora to the new entrants.

The League will play much as last time with a couple of new features. The fights will be from all the major MMA organisations and includes Japanese events. Some known fighters fighting in a small promotion may also be included.

The scoring remains the same and is listed below:

10 points for picking the winner
    5 points for picking the method
    5 points for picking the round/decision type
    30 points for picking a draw

To keep it simple, you are limited to the choice of method and round/decision type.

The methods are:
    stoppage (referee, doctor, KO, TKO, DQ)
    submission (fighter taps, choked out cold)
    decision (any fight that goes to the judges)

The rounds are self explanatory. If you choose decision for the method, then you must choose what type of decision instead of choosing a round the fight ends.

The decision types are:
    UD unanimous decision, all judges for one fighter
    SD split decision, 2 judges for one fighter, 1 judge for the other
    MD majority decision, 2 judges score for one fighter, 1 judge scores a draw.

All main events will be worth double points. In addition, you also nominate one fight as your trump fight, which is also worth double points. A trump fight can NOT be a main event. If a trump fight is not nominated, one will be chosen at random for you before the events start.

For UFC events, you will also be asked to predict the fight of the night, submission of the night and KO of the night. Each of these will be worth 10 points.

Your predictions should be posted on the prediction thread anytime before the first fight begins at any given event. If a round covers two events a week apart, you can post your entry for each event separately, as long as it is posted before the first fight of that event.

Each round will be a maximum of 20 fights from a number of organisations. I will try to keep it to main card fights and known fighters but will sometimes have to throw in the undercard of the WEC or Strikeforce events to ensure enough fights for a round. The very occasional boxing or K-1 match might also be added, but only major ones. A league table will be posted after every round.

I can't promise any prizes at the moment but someone might feel kind enough to donate something, as happened last year. I still haven't sent the prizes out to last years winners - definitely next week.

Hopefully I have covered everything. If you have any questions or suggestions, fire away.

The first round for 2010 will most likely be covering Strikefore: Miami and UFC 109, which is still some time away so I will post it once the Strikeforce card is finalised.

So then, who's in? The more the merrier. Could someone please post a recruitment message on 606, maybe some of those guys would be keen. Here's hoping for a shit hot year for MMA!!! You don't have to register now as posting an entry for round 1 confirms your entry into the league.

Cheers fullas geek
    hendos_right_hook
    hendos_right_hook
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

MMA Predictions League 2010 - Rules and Registration Empty Re: MMA Predictions League 2010 - Rules and Registration

Post  hendos_right_hook Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:49 pm

Cheers Ginginho Very Happy

I missed the first few last time, so never got into it. I will dedicate myself to it this year!
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

MMA Predictions League 2010 - Rules and Registration Empty Re: MMA Predictions League 2010 - Rules and Registration

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Sounds good Ginginho Basketball
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:23 pm

I use to run a tennis prediction league on 606, and used the bookmakers odds to calculate the points each person gets if he wins. That way you get more points if you predict an upset and stops people picking all the same people like i think was starting to happen in this league.

I think it would work great here, but the disadvantage is we would only pick the winner and not method or round.

I might decide to give it a trial for WEC and/or Fight night this weekend, to see what people think of it, and if people like it i could start doing it on 606.

If thats ok with you Giginho?
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:07 pm

I'm in !
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Sign me up,I need some more MMA gear Twisted Evil
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:42 pm

im in
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:07 pm

Im in, thanks for this Gighnio
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:59 pm

Someone needs to keep the bottom of the league warm.

I'm in.

sunny
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:40 pm

Im in for sure Ging,

redmeanie77 love that Idea of going against the bookies odds, that way people arent just being safe and picking the favorite in this. I think a few of us were good at calling upsets and when you call an upset there should be more points in it....

Im sure that was a whole lot of work though mate!!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Pete will need company at the foot of the table so i'm in!

I think i'm actually just going to copy Payne's picks! haha! or use them to make bets on the internet!
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  George_Louis_Costanza@who Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm in.
    Paolo_73
    Paolo_73
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Paolo_73 Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:08 pm

I'm going to quit my job and just make a living through betting using Payne's predictions......
    exiledinmanila
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  exiledinmanila Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:27 pm

sign me up!get the xxl t-shirt ready!cheers!

(am also willing to donate filipino cage fighter & Brandon Vera walkout tee to the prize fund,tho maybe considering his recent performances could be used as a wooden spoon consolation prize haha)
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    FOWLERSHIGHFIVE
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  FOWLERSHIGHFIVE Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:24 pm

I'll give this a go, please prepare yourselves for a new all time low in points scoring!!!!
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:30 pm

i'm in cheers. From some of your statements i get the impression you might bump off some of the random fights lower down the roster on smaller orgs? Maybe i'll do better then as for those ones i was guessing big time!!
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:01 pm

i'll have a go did the first couple of rounds last time but gave up ha ha... Will do it properly this time around.
    Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:08 pm

Make way for this years mid-table champ ..... king ..... cant wait to get started

we not doin fight night 20?
    alex6674
    alex6674
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  alex6674 Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:47 pm

i'm in from the start this time, do we get double points if we predict bisping to destroy wandi correctly?!
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:40 am

redmeanie77 wrote:I use to run a tennis prediction league on 606, and used the bookmakers odds to calculate the points each person gets if he wins. That way you get more points if you predict an upset and stops people picking all the same people like i think was starting to happen in this league.

I think it would work great here, but the disadvantage is we would only pick the winner and not method or round.

I might decide to give it a trial for WEC and/or Fight night this weekend, to see what people think of it, and if people like it i could start doing it on 606.

If thats ok with you Giginho?

It is a good idea, meanie, but too time consuming for me to incorporate properly. What I can do is nominate fights where there is a clear underdog ie. anyone fighting Fedor and award double points if you pick them and they win. Would that suffice?

To last years prizewinners, your prizes are in the post and should be hitting your mailboxes within the next 2 weeks. Can you please let me know when you get them or let me know if you haven't received them after 2 weeks so I can chase the PO up.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:27 am

id like to have a go at this count me in. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:09 pm

"It is a good idea, meanie, but too time consuming for me to incorporate properly. What I can do is nominate fights where there is a clear underdog ie. anyone fighting Fedor and award double points if you pick them and they win. Would that suffice?"

I could work out the points for you, for each fight using the odds.

It would work like this

Randy is 1.20 and Coleman is 4.00 with Bookmakers

Using the formula i used before, For people that pick Randy if he wins they get 2 points, If Coleman wins then whoever picked Coleman they get 30 points. And in order to stop people just value picking all the underdogs, there is a points deduction for every wrong pick. So there is skill involved in deciding where the upsets are going to happen.

I would put the odds up when you make the thread in the format

Randy-Coleman (2-30)
    Nate-Sonnen (3-25) etc

Lets see what other people think of it first?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Sounds good but good luck getting bookies odds for Dream etc..
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:20 pm

I think it was spot on just the way it was Twisted Evil

Are you going to give the bookies odds on exactly what we predict,like say Randy 2nd rd ko or Coleman split decision or the Fight,KO and Sub of the night or would it be just for a winner?

Because I personally enjoyed having to predicted the RD and Method and predicting the,fight of the night etc,were a good bonus.
    It added to watching the events for me.

I personally see no reason to change things,apart from cutting out some of the weak undercard fights.

Also by not changing it,you could run a Knock out cup competition aswell.When you know how many players are starting,draw the names randomly out of a hat and post who each of us is going up against,then obviously using the same predictions as for the league,the highest point scorer between the two that rd moves into the next rd,where you can do the next draw or you could already have set it out in the first post where the winner of match 1 goes against winner of match 2 and so on.
    I'd personaly go for a random draw each rd.
    By having to predict a winner,rd and method there would be less chance of a tie also.
    This would add a little spice and rivalry between us each rd.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Good idea with a tournament Twisted Evil

I can already imagine the banter we would get there. lol!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:51 am